Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Arsenal Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 589 ✭✭✭vincenzo1975

I think it will be Diaby, I see him as being the big breakthrough this season. I think Denilson has shown great form and I would love to see him get a run of games, his passing and movement have been very good, just feel he fades from games for periods and needs to maintain focus a bit more. I think Diaby will be really Dynamic and step up his game.

We really wont know until Cesc is back though, it depends on who can partner his style and movement.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,441 ✭✭✭✭jesus_thats_gre

Has to be Diaby.. He has featured regularly in the first team throughout last season where Denilson didn't...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,836 ✭✭✭Vokes

Diaby is hardly a defensive midfielder though ...he's more of an attacking midfielder, right? I can't see him and Cesc lining up in CM together.

I reckon it'll be Denilson or maybe even Djouru.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,529 ✭✭✭Im_No_Superman

Hasnt Wenger come out and said he hopes to sign one quality experieced midfielder before the summer is out? Presumably whoever that is will partner Fabregas in the centre.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 30,746 ✭✭✭✭Galvasean

Hasnt Wenger come out and said he hopes to sign one quality experieced midfielder before the summer is out?

Thats what he said alright. When asked if he had Barry in mind he smiled and said he didn't want to name names.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,570 ✭✭✭✭Frisbee

Hasnt Wenger come out and said he hopes to sign one quality experieced midfielder before the summer is out?

Surely he was talking about Amaury Bischoff.... :p
    I cant see it being Denilson.
    Somehow I think he's gonna pick Diaby, although Ramsey might get the odd cameo...

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 15,001 ✭✭✭✭Pepe LeFrits

Unless he signs someone it'll be Denilson.

Denilson didn't play much last season because he was injured. He's played the DM role a lot this pre-season (and has done it well) which suggests to me that he's being prepared to play alongside Cesc.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

He going to buy Alonso for a Spanish MF. :(

Mike

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,046 ✭✭✭eZe^

Hleb scored a beauty for us last night, seemed really chuffed about it too. He's a nice guy... Good for the team Im hoping!

Well thats Barry ruled out, maybe the Alonso rumours arnt so far out although I would be very surprised to see Benitiz sell such a quality player to one of their top four rivals. Denilson has always impressed me when he plays, a very good tidy player.
    Arsenal boss Arsene Wenger has ruled out a move for Gareth Barry even though he is an admirer of the Aston Villa ace.

Reports over the weekend surfaced suggesting that Arsenal could hijack Liverpool's long-term pursuit of Barry, as Wenger looks to bring in at least one more new face before the close of the transfer window.

Wenger admits he is in the market for a new midfielder with rumours suggesting Liverpool schemer Xabi Alonso is his top target.

With Barry hoping to push through a deal to Liverpool after Villa boss Martin O'Neill conceded defeat in his bid to keep the England star, it could open the door for Arsenal to land Spanish international Alonso.

Wenger refused to reveal the identity of his transfer targets, but confirmed he will not be making a move for Barry.
    Not on his case
    "I don't know if Gareth Barry will leave Aston Villa or not, but I am not on his case," said Wenger.

"I like Gareth Barry and I like two or three other players. It is better I don't speak about names, I said that yesterday. It is better I leave things to your imagination and creation.

"I cannot tell you anything more. If we sign a player we will come out and tell you, but I can say to you now that we are not close to signing anybody."

Meanwhile, Wenger expects big things from Theo Walcott next season.

Wenger is happy with the progress being made by Walcott and believes this could be a defining season for the former Southampton youngster.

"Theo is ahead of what he was doing at this period last season and he is still 19," said Wenger.

"I hope Theo will be a big part of the squad this season.

"I have confidence in him of course, but it is down to performances.

"His first touch his much better and he moves the ball quicker. His penetration and final ball is better.

"There is goalscoring potential in him and I hope he gets it out of him."

http://www.skysports.com/story/0,19528,11670_3908622,00.html

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,983 ✭✭✭leninbenjamin

mike65 wrote: »
    He going to buy Alonso for a Spanish MF. :(

Mike

saw those reports. wtf? doesn't really make sense to me. Alonso is a great player but imo too static for Arsenal's style of play... the player needed is the type of player who will pop up and make a challenge in the LB position, then race up the pitch and start pressing against the RW. Alonso doesn't really do this, he's not dynamic enough imo.

i also see the price being quoted is 18 million. haven't the sly feckers raised their valuation by 2 since the Juve event? the cheek!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,395 ✭✭✭Invincible

If Wenger gives 18M for Alonso,Liverpool will have the cash to get Barry,who was also a target for Wenger.Who would be your first choice of any offensive midfielder?

Invincible wrote: »
    Who would be your first choice of any offensive midfielder?

eh? it's a defensive midfielder that's needed... have more than enough offensive ones.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,732 ✭✭✭✭Boggles

Well thats Barry ruled out, maybe the Alonso rumours arnt so far out although I would be very surprised to see Benitiz sell such a quality player to one of their top four rivals.

If any club are willing to give 18million for Alonso, Benitez will bite their hands off. I'd be shocked if this story was true, I just can't see Wenger shelling out that sort of cash on what has become a very hit and miss player.

Jaysus... looks like he'll be getting more than a few Carling Cup Appearances so. excellent to see, if hugely depressing given that he's all of 4 years younger than me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,264 ✭✭✭✭jester77

Good news, he looks like he could be a great player.

I saw a report yesterday saying that Newcastle are looking to buy Senderos. Deal would be 7 million plus Given. One can dream I suppose!!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,711 ✭✭✭keano_afc

Galvasean wrote: »
    55 -> 19 quite the jump

Maybe he's the experienced midfielder Wenger has been talking about getting in:rolleyes:

• Advertisement

dunno if it was mentioned here, but traore signed a new deal today.
    Arsenal can today confirm Armand Traore has signed a new long term contract with the Club.

Since joining the Gunners as a scholar in Summer 2006, Traore (18) who is predominantly a left-back but can also play in midfield, has already made a total of 18 first team appearances, including three Premier League and two Uefa Champions League appearances.

In his first season with the Club, Armand missed just one League Cup game during Arsenal’s run to the Final in Cardiff, and has also regularly been on the bench for Uefa Champions League matches.

Armand is also a regular for France Under-19s, and took part in all three of their 2008 Uefa Under-19 Championships Elite Qualifiers.

Everyone at Arsenal is delighted that Armand has extended his contract with the Club.

not much to say on this other than it's always good to see the younger players signing on for the long term. hopefully he'll develop into a good player, he certainly has the potential imo.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,920 ✭✭✭AnCapaillMor

Arsenal are PREPARING a bid for Ruben De la Red. Godammit, signing every central midfielder under the sun has replaced the past few years signing every keeper under the sun.

One of the guys on Arseblog came up with a good idea, we should sign De La Red loan him to the scousers for 2 months so they come up with a good song then take him back.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,397 ✭✭✭yahoo_moe

Some good signs at the weekend - Gallas, Denilson and Van Persie and Adebayor all looked nice and sharp (especially considering they've two more weeks to get fully ready before the League starts).

Concern at the moment is the wide areas - I'm happy to have Theo playing wide rather than up front but Nasri could take some time to bed in by the looks of things and obviously, Rosicky's not fit yet. Anyone else rather see Wilshere given a shot wide left against Twente/West Brom than Nasri? Whatever about the hype, on form he's the better player at the moment. I know Wenger never likes pushing youngsters too hard too quick but could be nice to give him a run and then take him back out for a break.

Don't think Diaby or Ramsey are ready to play in the centre yet (they each get caught on the ball too much for my liking) so barring signings, my money's on Denilson-Fabregas as first choice, which I'm happy enough about - particularly given a relatively soft run of fixtures early on (West Brom, Fulham, Newcastle, Blackburn, Bolton, Hull, Sunderland).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,346 ✭✭✭ErinGoBrath

yahoo_moe wrote: »
    Anyone else rather see Wilshere given a shot wide left against Twente/West Brom than Nasri?

Yep, me. Can't get over how well he's performed given the oppositon he was up against. Walcott is looking like he's come on in leaps and bounds too, I'd leave him on the wing for now as we have enough up front.
    Don't think Diaby or Ramsey are ready to play in the centre yet (they each get caught on the ball too much for my liking) so barring signings, my money's on Denilson-Fabregas as first choice, which I'm happy enough about - particularly given a relatively soft run of fixtures early on (West Brom, Fulham, Newcastle, Blackburn, Bolton, Hull, Sunderland).

I'm not happy with any of the suggested centre midfield pairings. Diaby has plenty of energy and is quite physical however has a tendency to caught on the ball or get dispossessed is vunerable positions. Also his passing leaves a lot to be desired.

Denisilion plays a similar style of football to Fabregas but lacks physical presence. I haven't seen enough of Ramsey for me to be comfortable with him parntering Cesc, looks a littleweight light also.

I'm really hoping Wenger buys a proven defensive centre mid before the CL qualifier.

Denisilion plays a similar style of football to Fabregas but lacks physical presence.
    I'm not in any way against buying someone but I wouldn't mind seeing Denilson given a shot. Injuries didn't allow him to show his true abilities last year but he's always impressed me and looks a bit stronger this preseason than I've seen him before - and for a guy who's never going to be a massive physical presence in the Vieira/Adams/Campbell mould, he really snaps into a tackle (much like Clichy).

In theory, Denilson-Fabregas means that they're each sharing the load in terms of working back and moving forward but I don't think that we necessarily have to look to a midfielder that's 100% defensive-minded. Fabregas starts a lot of moves from deep anyway and Denilson's strengths are in tracking back and passing from deep so it's not like he's constantly bombing forward and limiting Cesc to 'minding the house'. In terms of where he plays his football and how that complements Cesc, Denilson isn't massively dissimilar to Gilberto or Flamini - only with less of an engine than Flamini and far better passing than either.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,570 ✭✭✭✭Frisbee

I'm not happy with any of the suggested centre midfield pairings.

+1
    I reckon Denilson or Diaby can step into CM with Cesc in some of the softer games. But against the bigger teams we're gonna need someone much more experience.
    Just hopefully not Xabi Alonso...

• Advertisement

In theory, Denilson-Fabregas means that they're each sharing the load in terms of working back and moving forward but I don't think that we necessarily have to look to a midfielder that's 100% defensive-minded. Fabregas starts a lot of moves from deep anyway and Denilson's strengths are in tracking back and passing from deep so it's not like he's constantly bombing forward and limiting Cesc to 'minding the house'. In terms of where he plays his football and how that complements Cesc, Denilson isn't massively dissimilar to Gilberto or Flamini - only with less of an engine than Flamini and far better passing than either.

They may play well together but I still think we need someone tough enough to grab the match by the scruff of the neck if it's not going our way. I really can't imagine us taking on the likes of United, Chelsea, Spurs without someone hard in the middle. Ok he can put in a tackle but he's not what you'd call intimiating, is he? I know I'd rather have Denilson marking me over Flamini!

I really hope I'm proved wrong on this though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,828 ✭✭✭gosplan

So what's you preferred starting 11 for the first game based on pre-season?

Almunia
    Sagna/Toure/Gallas/Clichy
    Walcott/Denilson/Fabregas/Nasri
    RVP/Ade

I think that Nasri indeed looks raw. The rest of that team should be able to carry him through the few (hopefully) games he'll need to settle in. We've a dream start with West Brom/Fulham/Newcastle/Bolton/Sunderland as well so we may be able to afford to be weak in some areas.

Also, it'll give us a good chance to use Diaby/Ramsay/Wilshire/Traore/Bendtner as subs.

gosplan wrote: »
    So what's you preferred starting 11 for the first game based on pre-season?

Almunia
    RVP/Ade

Pretty much bang on except I'd start Wilshire ahead of Nasri if we're basing it on preseason. It'd also be a toss of a coin between Denilson and Diaby but I'd probably side with Diaby as he's more physical.

gosplan wrote: »
    Almunia
    RVP/Ade
    I'd actually like to see Nasri and Wilshere rotated fairly evenly over those first few easier games - maybe giving Wilshere the Champions League qualifiers and making sure Nasri gets some game time in the Premier League. Then again, giving Nasri one leg of the qualifiers would probably help his understanding with teammates, etc. at a slightly lower pace which could be good. As I said, rotated fairly evenly would suit me fine. However, I definitely wouldn't want to burn out Wilshere or damage his confidence with a few poorer showings so for me, it'd mainly be until Nasri's more established and Rosicky's (hopefully) back from injury.
    Ok he can put in a tackle but he's not what you'd call intimiating, is he? I know I'd rather have Denilson marking me over Flamini!
    Ah you see I was comparing them on the basis of Flamini not being particularly intimidating either... and we did fine against bigger teams with Flamini last year. I wouldn't have thought of Gilberto as particularly intimidating either in fact, despite his greater size - hence why I think Denilson can slot into the role okay.

De La Red would be one player I would like to see Arsenal get.

• Advertisement

A blast from the past for you Arsenal fans -
    Juventus have completed the signing of former Arsenal goalkeeper Alex Manninger on a four-year contract.

The Austrian international spent last season at Siena and did enough to tempt Juventus into a bid for his services.

Manninger, 31, has spoken of his admiration for current Juve No.1 Gianluigi Buffon, while at the same time reiterating his desire to push the Italian all the way for a starting berth.

"I am very happy to have arrived at Juventus," said Manninger, who had been close to finalising a deal with Udinese, according to Juventus. "Here football really counts.

"I have gained a lot of experience playing for smaller sides but I was at Arsenal a few years ago and I wanted to return to a big club at the highest level.

"We all know Buffon's ability and his role in this squad. Only one goalkeeper can play at a time but in a squad of 25 there must be more than one custodian and we have three.

"I'm ready to give as much of a contribution as I can make to this team."

http://www.skysports.com/story/0,19528,11854_3936867,00.html

Thought he was older than 31 tbh. A nice cushy four year contract for him too. He is hardly going to get too much game time with Buffon infront of him in the pecking order.

hehe. He was actually really good for us when we won the league in 98 if I recall correctly. Made a big contribution when Seaman was out.

hehe. He was actually really good for us when we won the league in 98 if I recall correctly. Made a big contribution when Seaman was out.
    Yeah he is quite a good goalkeeper, seems abit of waste for him to be bench warming for the next 4 years, but each to their own I suppose.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,398 ✭✭✭MIN2511

He is 31, i don't see much of a career left for him but time would tell as usual

MIN2511 wrote: »
    He is 31, i don't see much of a career left for him but time would tell as usual
    31 is not old for a goalkeeper, must goalkeeepers dont hit their peak till around 30.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,477 ✭✭✭newbie2

I always thought that he was one of the best goalkeepers that graced highbury. Had the bob wilson barney got something to do with him or was it that keeper Harper?

Jack Wilshere's career in tabloid headlines

Shameless plug, but I put several minutes effort into that!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,920 ✭✭✭AnCapaillMor

Then Chelsea beat us 6-0 at home in the coca cola cup and he was never the same after that. He went on loan to espanyol and they actually tried to give him back a few months early. He'd one good season in Italy with Fiorentina then dissapeared off the scene.

Inspired me to go check what happened to the other great cameo star of 97-98, Christopher Wreh:
    Christopher Wreh never had as good a season as 1997-98. With a Premiership challenge in full flow, but with Wright and Bergkamp both unavailable, he scored a couple of crucial winners that sparked the long winning streak culminating in the Premiership title returning to Highbury. For good measure, he scored the only goal of the FA Cup semi final against Wolves, before picking up a winners medal against Newcastle a few weeks later.

At 23, he probably expected his career to go from strength to strength, but the opposite happened. After two seasons in and around the first team, the former Monaco striker made three loan switches. The first was a reasonably successful one, to AEK Athens, in 1999, before less enjoyable spells with Birmingham, where Trevor Francis sent him back within weeks, and the Dutch side Den Bosch in 2000.

With his Arsenal career in decline, he left in the summer of 2000 to find regular football. After six months without a club, he moved to oil rich Saudi Arabia to play for Al-Hilal, the home of Saudi legend and top scorer Sami Al-Jaber. Wreh apart, the Saudis were a team made up of home players and he struggled to adapt, leaving at the end of the season after a handful of inauspicious appearances.

In the summer of 2001, Wreh joined Bournemouth on trial, but the south coast side never offered him a contract, and he ended up moving to Scotland to join First Division St Mirren. Thoughts of a career revival were short-lived, as he made only three substitute appearances for the remainder of the season and failed to get on the scoresheet. This was largely due to persistent injuries, despite his continual optimism that he was ‘close to a return’.

St Mirren tried to offload him to ease their financial difficulties, but move after move broke down. Eventually he left at the end of the season, his reputation in tatters, and took a few months leave from the game, before returning in the Ryman Premier League with Bishop’s Stortford. The move was a disaster, and Wreh’s attitude was called into question by manager Martin Hayes after no-showing a game against Enfield:

“Honestly, even if he had turned up for the Enfield game I wouldn’t have put him on the bench, never mind started him. He didn’t turn up for training last Friday and that wasn’t the first time. I can never get hold of him. It’s not on. I have to think of the other lads who do put in the time and effort.”

Incredibly, Wreh’s next step was even further down, to Buckingham Town, but after a few appearances there, decided enough was enough and retired from the game in 2005 to concentrate on a musical project, Soul Rebels.

His football story hadn’t quite ended there, however, because in the summer of 2007 he joined Indonesian side Perseman Manokwari. Six months later, he walked out on his contract and hasn’t joined a club since.

In addition to his seemingly poor attitude, Wreh has been dogged by continual comments about his weight and fitness, something he freely admits to on his blog, now focused mainly on his musical exploits. In the early entries, he confesses that he enjoyed his food far too much to maintain his fitness, and this may one of the reasons his career nosedived so spectacularly.

Ten years ago he was an FA Cup winner. What a demise.

MIN2511 wrote: »

Lehmann was 37 for us when he starred in our run to the Champions League Final.
    David Seaman was one of the best goalies in England aged 39.
    Peter Schmeichel was 36 when he won the trble with United.
    Pat Jennings finally hung up his gloves for us aged 40, still making spectacular saves.

• Advertisement

Squad for today's match away to Huddersfield:

Nacer BARAZITE
    Kyle BARTLEY
    Johan DJOUROU
    Jay EMMANUEL-THOMAS
    Lukasz FABIANSKI (GK)
    Rui FONTE
    Emmanuel FRIMPONG
    Kieran GIBBS
    Gavin HOYTE
    Justin HOYTE
    Henri LANSBURY
    Vito MANNONE (GK)
    Havard NORDTVEIT
    Aaron RAMSEY
    Mark RANDALL
    Jay SIMPSON
    Theo WALCOTT
    Sanchez WATT
    Carlos VELA
    Jack WILSHERE

Team for Huddersfield:

Fabianski
    J Hoyte
    Djourou
    G Hoyte
    Gibbs
    Lansbury
    Randall
    Ramsey
    Wilshere
    Walcott
    Vela

Only three defenders? Two of them the Hoyte brothers???

http://www.arsenal.com/article.asp?thisNav=News&article=494923&lid=NewsHeadline&Title=Hoyte+-+I+have+to+prove+I%27m+as+good+as+Sagna
    Bwahahahahhaa!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,097 ✭✭✭DenMan

Team for Huddersfield:

Fabianski
    J Hoyte
    Djourou
    G Hoyte
    Gibbs
    Lansbury
    Randall
    Ramsey
    Wilshere
    Walcott
    Vela

Now this looks very close to Arsenal's Carling Cup team for the upcoming season. Me being optimistic about the Gunners winning that competition may have been dashed as the boss came out today saying the competition is not high on the trophy list for the season. A competition they definitely can win and at the end of the day, silverware in the cabinet (which is what we all want). Thanks Pepe.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,170 ✭✭✭Royale with Cheese

I couldn't care less about winning the carling cup and it counts for shít. The only people who'll have you believe it's of any use are spurs fans looking to get one over on the Arsenal.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,692 ✭✭✭✭OPENROAD

I couldn't care less about winning the carling cup and it counts for shít. The only people who'll have you believe it's of any use are spurs fans looking to get one over on the Arsenal.

True but at 12/1 I hope I'll be collecting a nice sum come next Feb. :)

It appears the illustrious career of Freddy is drawing to an end :(
    http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport2/hi/football/teams/w/west_ham_utd/7545703.stm

KO against Huddersfield was 7 o' clock. Can't seem to find the scoreline anywhere. Wonder how the boys are doing.

1-1 Watt just equalised 10 mins left.

Live on Arsenal tv.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,097 ✭✭✭DenMan

I just went to the Sky Sports Score Center and we are losing 1-0. a few mins to go by the luck of things. Freddie was the main man, I hope he goes to Italy, he was linked with going there during the last 4-5 yrs of his Arsenal career. Go on Fred!!! By the way New York Red Bulls and Barcelona postponed, wonder what happened there? 1-1 now, thanks OPENROAD.

• Advertisement

DenMan wrote: »
    I just went to the Sky Sports Score Center and we are losing 1-0. a few mins to go by the luck of things. Freddie was the main man, I hope he goes to Italy, he was linked with going there during the last 4-5 yrs of his Arsenal career. Go on Fred!!!

Will be interesting to see what he does, I know he loves London and London life but can only see him moving abroad.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement