Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Arsenal Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,139 ✭✭✭Wreck

So that's five premier league wins in a row now, and I think we're unbeaten since the new year. Squad looks really strong coming into the last part of the season. Looking forward to the Villareal game on Tuesday, I quite fancy us to get a win over there. What's the story with Van Persie's injury, will he be back for Tuesday?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,692 ✭✭✭✭OPENROAD

Great result tops a brilliant day after backing the grand national winner :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,500 ✭✭✭Fuzzy_Dunlop

Villarreal are 3-0 down against Almeria after 75 minutes with Pires having got sent off:pac:

Also on RTE there they said Rosicky is due back April 21st

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,570 ✭✭✭✭Frisbee

playa3 wrote: »
    Also on RTE there they said Rosicky is due back April 21st

1580792921_f8abfbc901.jpg?v=0

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,043 ✭✭✭✭L'prof

This season v previous seasons:
    P   W   D   L   F   A  GD Pts
    2008-2009:  31  16  10   5  50  27  23  58
    2007-2008:  31  19  10   2  59  24  35  67 ( 3rd)
    2006-2007:  31  16   7   8  52  29  23  55 ( 4th)
    2005-2006:  31  16   5  10  53  23  30  53 ( 4th)
    2004-2005:  31  20   7   4  72  33  39  67 ( 2nd)
    2003-2004:  31  23   8   0  62  22  40  77 ( 1st)
    2002-2003:  31  20   6   5  66  33  33  66 ( 2nd)
    2001-2002:  31  19   9   3  63  32  31  66 ( 1st)
    2000-2001:  31  16   9   6  49  29  20  57 ( 2nd)
    1999-2000:  31  17   6   8  56  32  24  57 ( 2nd)
    1998-1999:  31  16  12   3  42  13  29  60 ( 2nd)
    1997-1998:  31  18   9   4  52  27  25  63 ( 1st)
    1996-1997:  31  16   9   6  51  26  25  57 ( 3rd)
    1995-1996:  31  14   9   8  42  28  14  51 ( 5th)

Rolling season:
    2008-2009:  38  21  11   6  65  34  31  74

Current run:
    2008-2009:  17   9   8   0  25   9  16  35

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,097 ✭✭✭DenMan

Villareal went down 3-0 tonight against Almeria and Cazorla is out for the rest of the season. He would have been a definite starter on Tuesday night. Hate to see that happen to any player but for Arsenal it is an advantage going into the tie as he has been ever present for them this season. Bobby sent off.

http://www.uefa.com/competitions/ucl/news/kind=1/newsid=816561.html

DenMan wrote: »
    Villareal went down 3-0 tonight against Almeria and Cazorla is out for the rest of the season. He would have been a definite starter on Tuesday night. Hate to see that happen to any player but for Arsenal it is an advantage going into the tie as he has been ever present for them this season. Bobby sent off.

http://www.uefa.com/competitions/ucl/news/kind=1/newsid=816561.html

Cazorla is a very good player. He will definitely be missed by Villareal which is only good news for Arsenal. However I wish him an immediate recovery after April 15th...

Only just saw the highlights now.

What a ball from Cesc for Ade's second! :eek:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 30,746 ✭✭✭✭Galvasean

I'd like to dedicate this song to Fab and Ade:

I hear this is our best league run since the Invincibles season!?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,170 ✭✭✭Royale with Cheese

The gap back to 5th stays at 6 points.

An Arsenal win next weekend coupled with a draw in the Villa - Everton game and that would be that you'd have to think.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,692 ✭✭✭✭OPENROAD

The gap back to 5th stays at 6 points.

7 points imo ;)

Our goal difference is vastly superior to Villa's, 23 to 6. We still have to play Liverpool, Chelsea and Man Utd, so hopefully have it wrapped up before we play them. All depends on the Stoke game imo.....final game of the season.

I can see it now. Any two from the following: Boro, Newcastle, Sunderland, Hull and Blackburn going mad if Arsenal take it easy with Stoke if 4th is secured. (West Brom gone imo). Unlikely to happen though, but it's happened before on the final day. A point may keep Stoke up.

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 15,001 ✭✭✭✭Pepe LeFrits

Everton are only a point behind Villa now and have better goal difference. Hopefully they'll draw with each other next weekend but if Everton beat Villa we'll still have them to worry about.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,711 ✭✭✭keano_afc

OPENROAD wrote: »
    Great result tops a brilliant day after backing the grand national winner :D

Me too! Went into a bookies on Holloway Road and stuck a couple of quid on it. Made the trip over all the better. Thought we played really well, Denilson was absolutely everywhere. Considering the players we had out it was a fine performance.

An Arsenal win next weekend coupled with a draw in the Villa - Everton game and that would be that you'd have to think.

Definitely wouldn't think this.
    We still have United, Pool and Chelsea to play. Villa have a much much easier run in that us.

• Registered Users Posts: 508 ✭✭✭itsjaybud

Van persie out for tuesday night

http://www.skysports.com/story/0,19528,11095_5153940,00.html

Nasri passed fit, i expect the same team that played against city to start with nasri in for arshavin and ade to lead the line up top on his own.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,397 ✭✭✭yahoo_moe

keano_afc wrote: »
    Me too! Went into a bookies on Holloway Road and stuck a couple of quid on it. Made the trip over all the better.
    Well my trip over was made all the better by the fact that I forgot to put my double on Arsenal to win 3-0 and Butler's Cabin to win the National :)

You get a ticket in the end? Hope you did - best weather I've had for a match by far, lovely experience.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,828 ✭✭✭gosplan

DenMan wrote: »
    I can see it now. Any two from the following: Boro, Newcastle, Sunderland, Hull and Blackburn going mad if Arsenal take it easy with Stoke if 4th is secured. (West Brom gone imo). Unlikely to happen though, but it's happened before on the final day. A point may keep Stoke up.

Stoke will be safe by then IMO. Home against Newcastle, Blackburn, Wigan and away to Hull should see them safe before the final day.

As regards Everton's shot at fourth, they still have to play Chelsea, City, Spurs and Fulham at the Cottage.

Van Persie is out for tomorrow. Ugh, when was the last time he came back from an international break not injured?

Better news is that Nasri and Walcott have been passed fit.

I'd like to see the same team that played on Saturday but with Nasri in for Arshavin.

I'd like to see the same team that played on Saturday but with Nasri in for Arshavin.

Yeah, Song, Denilson, Fab, Walcott, Nasri with Ade up front sounds pretty good to me.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,711 ✭✭✭keano_afc

yahoo_moe wrote: »
    Well my trip over was made all the better by the fact that I forgot to put my double on Arsenal to win 3-0 and Butler's Cabin to win the National :)

You get a ticket in the end? Hope you did - best weather I've had for a match by far, lovely experience.

Yeah took a chance and went to the box office about 11 o clock and got 2 together. Only £38 each. Delighted. Cracking day all round.

Any word on the Gallas and Almunia injuries?

I've been keeping an eye on the website but nothing.
    I expect it will be tomorrow before we hear anything.
    Gallas' looked the more serious of the two. Although losing Almunia now would be a disaster.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,748 ✭✭✭tony1kenobi

ITV4 said Al out for 2 weeks but Gallas looks like a serious ligament injury and might be long term....that was just before the end of the show though so could be sensationalism.

BBC say rumours of a knee ligament injury for Gallas are floating about. Probably one of the 2 worst positions Arsenal could pick up a serious injury in. The other being goalkeeper. Bad night, apart from the result that is.

Was away this evening and missed the games. Only read the report now. Great result and two stunning goals. Almunia has played every league game so far this season for Arsenal so it's up to Fabianski now. Very hard place to go (El Madrigal) so very happy. Let's hope it's not too bad with Manuel and William, fingers crossed. Imperative we don't give any soft away goals away next week.

Just read we picked up 4 yellow cards. That is not like us, we rarely get booked now in games. Very surprised by that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,480 ✭✭✭✭cson

A few of them were for fooking nothing. Cesc for taking the free kick early, Ade's one was prolly undeserved too - not his fault he's so big. Alex Song definitely deserved his alright and can't remember who got the 4th one.

cson wrote: »
    A few of them were for fooking nothing. Cesc for taking the free kick early, Ade's one was prolly undeserved too - not his fault he's so big. Alex Song definitely deserved his alright and can't remember who got the 4th one.

Nasri

Can barely remember his or Ade's though...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 688 ✭✭✭Sútalún

Frisbee wrote: »
    Nasri

Can barely remember his or Ade's though...

Nasri got his for a late tackle on the edge of their box near the end. Didn't think there was much in it.
    Was in work so only saw the last 10 mins. Score draw was always what was needed so happy with that. Ade's goal was pure class. That's a great return for him scoring for club/country in each game since he's been back. Hopefully he can keep it up and have a better end to the season than he's had during the rest of it!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,305 ✭✭✭Green Hornet

Gallas may be out for the season with knee ligament damage.

Almunia for 2 weeks. Almunia is a big loss! It's a recurrence of the ankle injury from a while back.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,254 ✭✭✭Evil_Clown

Gallas may be out for the season with knee ligament damage.

Almunia for 2 weeks. Almunia is a big loss! It's a recurrence of the ankle injury from a while back.

Gallas is a loss alright but at least Djourou has had some playing time already this season so hopefully can step up to the mark. Apart from a little confusion with fabianski for a clearance I thought he was pretty solid after coming on early in a CL QF which is not easy.
    A special mention to Fabianski also, he did very well last night, a quality double save very early after coming on and caught what crosses he had to. He should be able to stand in for a few weeks, fingers crossed

Is Almunia's the same ankle that got hacked by Diouf ??

Evil_Clown wrote: »

Is Almunia's the same ankle that got hacked by Diouf ??

Yes, the same ankle. Fabianski did well alright but I've been impressed with Almunia this season.

He's been very calm and the defence and himself seem to have developed a good understanding. Very few goals conceded since Christmas.

Very bad time to lose Almunia considering we're playing Villareal, Chelsea and Liverpool in the next two weeks...

Very bad time to lose Almunia considering we're playing Villareal, Chelsea and Liverpool in the next two weeks...
    But do you really think Fabianski will be personally responsible for the loss of goals? I don't.

Obviously he might make a howler but generally speaking, you'd have to be an awful keeper (he's not) or behind a shocking defence/midfield (hopefully he won't be) for an injured keeper to make a huge difference.

I'd rather Almunia was fit obviously but I don't think it's a complete disaster.

• Advertisement

For anybody who missed the game last night (myself included), here is a nice highlights package I just found. Enjoy.

http://vids.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=vids.individual&VideoID=55401957

But do you really think Fabianski will be personally responsible for the loss of goals? I don't.

Obviously he might make a howler but generally speaking, you'd have to be an awful keeper (he's not) or behind a shocking defence/midfield (hopefully he won't be) for an injured keeper to make a huge difference.

I'd rather Almunia was fit obviously but I don't think it's a complete disaster.

He's fairly inexperienced. Our best defender this season has also been ruled out.
    So yeah, I'm not overly comfortable with Fabianski in goals.

• Registered Users Posts: 787 ✭✭✭Roaster

I think Fabinzki will be a capable replacement. However, the Gallas injury is more than worrying. As much as I hate him he's been very good in the last few months. I do rate Djourou but like Senderos he does seem to have a howler in him now and again.

On another note Clichy (to me) is looking more and more dodgy at the back.

arsenal.com have compiled a list of Arsenal's best ten European goals.
    http://www.arsenal.com/news/news-archive/top-10-european-goals
    Strange that Bergkamp doesn't have one.
    My fave is Heny v Real Madrid

Galvasean wrote: »
    arsenal.com have compiled a list of Arsenal's best ten European goals.
    http://www.arsenal.com/news/news-archive/top-10-european-goals
    Strange that Bergkamp doesn't have one.
    My fave is Heny v Real Madrid

They left out the best one - although against weaker opposition.

• Advertisement

gosplan wrote: »
    They left out the best one - although against weaker opposition.

Amazing, was that in the qualifiers???

Our best defender this season has also been ruled out.
    At least we're finally on the same page there anyway - glad you got over the Gallas blind hate. I'd agree this is a much bigger concern but my hope would be that Arsenal can keep possession well and Toure and Djourou can be solid in the centre so Fabianski won't be all that exposed. And he's more than capable of covering the basics.

God, I'd forgotten how good that Henry goal was... beautiful.

EDIT: Gallas update: Arsene confirms it looks like medial ligament damage. Crap. http://www.arsenal.com/news/news-archive/-these-young-players-always-find-an-answer-

I quite liked this goal too!

March

Tomas has fully recovered from the rare tendon injury that kept him out for over a year but the Czech star suffered a minor set-back in his rehabilitation. During an interview with Arsenal TV Online towards the end of the month Tomas stated that he was “boiling inside” to play again.

It's hard to be optimistic about Rosicky's return but if they're saying that the current setback is a completely different injury, then that can surely only be welcome news.

If we're going to continue with the 4-5-1 in the Champions League, then we really need one of Denilson or Song alongside Fabregas and Rosicky rather then Denilson - Song - Fabregas.

It's a formation that worked really well last year (went out to Liverpool cause of basic defensive errors) but the three midfielders were Flamini - Fabregas - Hleb.

Fabregas was pushed a bit forward last night because the other two obviously need to lie that bit deeper but he's a natural central midfielder and never really got up just behind the front man as you need that 3rd midfielder to do sometimes. Hleb was amazing at getting into that space and linking with other players, the thoughts of Arshavin doing the same next year in front of Fabregas is giving me major wood but this year the only player that can offer us that is Rosicky - perhaps Nasri but I don't think he'd be good enough at it for latter stages of CL. I guess I'm forgetting that Diaby could do it as well but I'd just way rather a fit Rosicky.

It's funny how this season is going. We've such a squad of midfielders and strikers this year that we should be spoilt for choice but though injuries and ineligibility, we only recently able to field a starting 11 that you could be happy about, and only just!! Now that the front end of the pitch is sorted out, we're down to our bare bones in defence - well the single bare bone that is Silvestre.

I mean, next year if we were to play 4-5-1 in the CL, you've got a possible starting formation of:

Denilson - Fabregas
    Walcott - Arshavin - Nasri
    Ade*

with a bench that contains Eduardo, RVP & Rosicky. Poor Diaby, Bendtner and Vela won't even make the squad.

*I'm officially announcing that I've alighted from the 'sell Ade in the summer' bandwagon. His indifferent start to the season made me forget about what a skillful big lump like him can bring to the team.

At least we're finally on the same page there anyway - glad you got over the Gallas blind hate.

:confused:
    What are you talking about?
    I was one of the people defending Gallas and saying he should stay on and that he had been our best defender by a country mile this year!

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 15,001 ✭✭✭✭Pepe LeFrits

jasonorr wrote: »
    Amazing, was that in the qualifiers???
    Pre-season.

Roaster wrote: »
    I think Fabinzki will be a capable replacement. However, the Gallas injury is more than worrying. As much as I hate him he's been very good in the last few months. I do rate Djourou but like Senderos he does seem to have a howler in him now and again.

On another note Clichy (to me) is looking more and more dodgy at the back.

Yeah, I agree with you with regards Djourou. I always feel theres a bit of a howler trying to escape out.

Clichy was very slow to close Senna down last night for the goal and bombs forward a little too often for my liking. A bit cavalier sometimes. Still a good player though.

What little I've seen of Fabianski is that he appears to be a bit of a mixed bag. He's capable of making great saves but he seems a bit rash. A few times he's made great saves out of situations that he's created himself by making poor decisions. Manninger used to do the same thing.

gosplan wrote: »
    It's hard to be optimistic about Rosicky's return but if they're saying that the current setback is a completely different injury, then that can surely only be welcome news.

Rosicky is supposed to be playing for the reserves against the spuds tomorrow night. I read that last week. Is this another setback since last week?

I can't wait for him to come back.

Tomas Rosicky
    Monday, April 6, 2009

Tomas has suffered a minor set-back in his rehabilitation. The Czech midfielder has not played since January 26, 2008 because of a troublesome tendon injury and his comeback is on hold for now because of a groin problem.

We won't see him this season. Probably better for him, gives him the whole summer to get fit.

That's what I read on Sunday. What the fcuk was he doing to his balls on Sunday night?
    Arsenal, 14:22, April 5, 2009

Tomas Rosicky says he hopes to be able to play for Arsenal before the end of the season as he prepares to make his comeback.
    The Czech Republic international could make his first competitive appearance in an Arsenal shirt for 14 months in a reserve game against North London rivals Tottenham on Thursday night.

The Gunners winger feared he would never play again at times during his recovery from a long-term knee injury but is now hopeful he can force his way back into the Arsenal squad after taking heart from Eduardo's recovery from his terrible injury.

"My only problem is my groin now," said Rosicky.

"The knee is OK and that is the most important thing for me. I hope that I will be able to play again this season.

"Before I picked up this groin injury, I was not far from being in the squad. I hope to play again.

http://www.clubcall.com/arsenal/rosicky-sets-return-date-884832.html

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement