Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Arsenal Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,570 ✭✭✭✭Frisbee

Unbelieveable...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,397 ✭✭✭yahoo_moe

my guess: Wenger thought Hiddink would know Arshavin well enough at this stage that'd he be well able to set his team up to nullify him
    Don't think that'd be the reason - you have to back your best players. Hiddink would know Van Persie too but he played.

I think Wenger thought he was protecting a potentially weak back 4 more by playing 5 in midfield and not having both Walcott and Arshavin involved. As it was, Diaby didn't exactly add the muscle he was supposed to, he gave away a horrendous amount of ball and Adebayor was on his tobler for the entire game.

I reckon as it ticked down towards extra time, Wenger thought he'd get away with waiting till then to make a change and hopefully attack a tired Chelsea. But for a misjudgment from Fabianski, we could be discussing a narrow, hard-fought win but alas, we're not.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,170 ✭✭✭Royale with Cheese

Is Eduardo fit? I know he wasn't in the squad on Saturday but he's been in the last few before that. I'm guessing Wenger doesn't want to play him all that often as he's got injured in every single comeback he's made this season.

Can't see past a Pool win if the defence and attack are missing.

Won't be that disappointed if Arse lose tomorrow night. Win the games against Boro, Pompey & Stoke and that should be 4th secured. I'd much rather have a full squad for those games, and the Champions League too obviously. Plus I'd much rather see Pool win the league than United so I wouldn't mind helping them out all that much.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,346 ✭✭✭ErinGoBrath

Got a team update text today.

RvP and Ade out. Sanga and Eduardo back. Manuel still injured.

Eduardo is fit to play. I'd say it will be him and Bendtner up top tomorrow.
    Would love to see Vela startup top with Eduardo but it won't happen

• Registered Users Posts: 1,254 ✭✭✭Evil_Clown

Would like to see this:

Fabianski
    Sagna
    Toure
    Silvestre
    Gibbs
    Nasri/Walcott
    Song
    Fabregas
    Arshavin
    Bendtner
    Eduardo

Probably a bit too wishful but will have to wait

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,828 ✭✭✭gosplan

Even though I'd enjoy beating Liverpool, the way the league is going it'd be better for us if we lost. The CL is our very last chance at a trophy this season and we're only three games away from lifting it.

I fully believe we're capable of beating Man Utd and whoever we meet in the final should we get there*, but it makes a huge difference to our chances if Rooney, Ronaldo, Vidic, Rio etc have to play four games in two weeks instead of two games in two weeks.

Man U's match the Saturday before they play us is home to Spurs and there's no way they could rest players for that if Liverpool are just a single point behind. The match in between is away to Boro which would be tricky enough(giant killers, good players, fighting for lives).

On another note, Liverpool looks like being a really bloody tough game. We've played twice since Liverpool last played plus we've like 7 first team absentees or something? Looking forward to seeing Arshavin and Eduardo combine though.

*except Barca, I don't think we could beat them.

Won't be that disappointed if Arse lose tomorrow night. Win the games against Boro, Pompey & Stoke and that should be 4th secured... Plus I'd much rather see Pool win the league than United
    I almost agree - but in terms of belief for the Champions League, it could be pretty bad for the team to have built up confidence by beating Wigan, Villarreal, Newcastle, etc. only to lose it by losing to two of the bigger teams in a row.

I'd rather see 'Pool win the league as well but a result tomorrow could still very much help Arsenal's season.

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 15,001 ✭✭✭✭Pepe LeFrits

I'd like to see this team against Liverpool:

Fabianski
    Eboue - Sagna - Toure - Gibbs
    Fabregas - Song
    -- Walcott -- Nasri -- Arshavin
    Eduardo

• Advertisement

I'd like to see this team against Liverpool:

Fabianski
    Eboue - Sagna - Toure - Gibbs
    Fabregas - Song
    -- Walcott -- Nasri -- Arshavin
    Eduardo

Can Sagna play there? Cool.

Although dropping Silvestre would mean Wenger admitting that he was a very very pointless acquisition.

• Registered Users Posts: 247 ✭✭afcdave

I see Wenger still reckons Fabianski can be a 'world great' ! :confused:

With our current list of injuries I cant see us getting much out of Anfield tomorrow but even a draw might pick up some confidence? I agree that 2 loses in a row could undo the recent positive impact.

Arshavin and Eduardo could be a big combination for the future...

I agree with Wenger on Fabianski.

Did you even read it? All he says is Ade would be a good signing for Milan. (And that's ignoring the 'Ade as a replacement for Kaka' bit which just shows it's the usual English paper bull****.) If he goes there, okay - but it'll be f*ck all to do with anything in that article.

On Fabianski, he's only 21 - he's not due to hit his peak for about another 10 years and he's not a bad keeper already... so yeah, why can't he be one of the world's best? It's not like he's blind in one eye or isn't an ambidiver.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,305 ✭✭✭Green Hornet

yahoo_moe wrote: »
    On Fabianski, he's only 21 - he's not due to hit his peak for about another 10 years and he's not a bad keeper already... so yeah, why can't he be one of the world's best? It's not like he's blind in one eye or isn't an ambidiver.

He probably will be a decent keeper but he's not there yet.

He was finally caught out on Saturday but he has been racing off his line way too quickly in every game. It was only a matter of time before he got found out. He seems very rash in his decision making.

Hopefully he will learn from it.

Almunia was guilty of some howlers in his early Arsenal career too and he's turned into a very competent goalie.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 30,746 ✭✭✭✭Galvasean

Fabianski has both great agility and reflexes. Just needs to improve on his judgement (which only improves with experience) and he could well become a very good if not excellent keeper.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,097 ✭✭✭DenMan

Be great if we can get something out of tonight. Skysports.com are going with a 2-0 victory for Liverpool. Sagna, Walcott, Eduardo and Arshavin will cause them problems. Come on Arsenal.

Bolton will beat Villa on Sat imo and then we have Boro on Sunday. That's that I would say (even if we go down to and Man Utd and Chelsea).

he's not there yet.
    Never said he was - but there's no way anyone (not you, I know) can or should write him off.
    He was finally caught out on Saturday but he has been racing off his line way too quickly in every game.
    No, he's cleared some excellent ball by dealing with it swiftly in every game. But yes, he just needs to improve his strikerate so that his judgment is spot on every time.

Like you say, Almunia (and let's not forget Lehmann before him) was very similar - it seems to be Wenger's (or Bob Wilson's) favoured type of keeper, who'll clear up behind the centre-halves as much as possible. I'm not sure we keep all that high a line but it might well be something to do with Wenger's tendency for smaller 'footballing' centre-halves rather than a dominant Vidic type.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,170 ✭✭✭Royale with Cheese

Right what did we learn tonight?

1. Arshavin is quality

2. Arsenal cannot defend to save their lives and crumble under any kind of pressure.

Neither bode well for the champions league. Still, cracking game & the unbeaten run continues. Pity it handed United the title, it feels dirty.

So... WHY THE HECK WASNT ARSHVIN PLAYING AGAINST CHLSEA?!!?!?!?!?!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,749 ✭✭✭CCCP^

Why, why...WHY!?

:(

I think it's time Silvestre was taken out behind the woodshed for someone to do the humane thing.

He's a one man wrecking ball

Frisbee wrote: »
    I think it's time Silvestre was taken out behind the woodshed for someone to do the humane thing.

When's Djourou back? If we can get him, Almunia and Clichy back for the United game we may stand a fighting chance.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 911 ✭✭✭Beau x1

Can anyone imagine what tonight would be like if Wenger didn't buy in Jan?

Beau x1 wrote: »
    Can anyone imagine what tonight would be like if Wenger didn't buy in Jan?

Can anyone imagine what tonight would be like if Wenger baught an extra defender or two in Jan?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,857 ✭✭✭✭Dave!

Take that Bendtner lad back there too.....

Was absolutely incredulous at the fact that Eduardo was on the bench while Bendtner dicked around up front

Nevertheless, a bloody exciting game!

Arseshaving you are a sexy Russian beauty. I would do dirty things to you right now.

Galvasean wrote: »
    Can anyone imagine what tonight would be like if Wenger baught an extra defender or two in Jan?
    Fair enough, but I think the main problem is Silvestre in our defence right now. He played a good first half but he can never be consistent until the end of the game. Sagna, Gallas, Djourou, Touré, Clichy are all quality imo.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,748 ✭✭✭tony1kenobi

He did the job tonight. If he hadn't been there we'd have let in six goals.

Give Gibbs a raise.

When's Djourou back? If we can get him, Almunia and Clichy back for the United game we may stand a fighting chance.

Yes, people on this forum have been a bit 'oh, i don't know' about Djourou but he's a stopper. You won't get much from him but you'll get that.

TBH, shortly after the Gallas captaincy thing, Djourou played a few games and I was hoping he'd stay in the first team.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,692 ✭✭✭✭OPENROAD

Anyone still think we can get 3rd?

• Advertisement

OPENROAD wrote: »
    Providing we beat (and I mean snatch the whole 3 points) from Chelsea on the 10th of May, then yeah I wouldn't write it off as a possibility.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,598 ✭✭✭cashback

If we had held on for the last three minutes but I fear the chance is gone now.
    That fourth by Arshavin was so great to watch, Theo taking em on and then seeing the little Russian belting towards the Pool goal, and then will he, can he finish?! Oh yes!!!!!!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,983 ✭✭✭leninbenjamin

not a hope in hell with a performance like we just saw.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,692 ✭✭✭✭OPENROAD

not a hope in hell with a performance like we just saw.

Hopefully Almunia will be back at the weekend.

Come on Everton on Wednesday.

I think we can still get 1st.

George Weah would have looked like a donkey had he been playing in Bendtner's place tonight. Seriously, I can't imagine a worse game for a striker to play in.

Absolutely appalling performance with one small, five-foot-five exception. He bailed out his team and his manager tonight. Big time.

George Weah would have looked like a donkey had he been playing in Bendtner's place tonight. Seriously, I can't imagine a worse game for a striker to play in.

Absolutely appalling performance with one small, five-foot-five exception. He bailed out his team and his manager tonight. Big time.

I never understood the reason before but....

.....+1....with bells on.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,857 ✭✭✭✭Dave!

I think we can still get 1st.
    The eternal optimist!

Hopefully Almunia will be back at the weekend.
    Fabianski wasn't perfect but his ratio was excellent tonight... the amount of times he was left exposed (and the amount of times Gibbs was played into trouble) was shocking.

How any central defender didn't expect Torres to be, eh, quick, strong and hungry is beyond me. I'm not saying it's easy to play against but it becomes a whole lot easier to deal with if you don't dally on the ball or play dangerous slide passes that only need an alert forward to turn them into suicide passes.

Hence why I'd rather the defence back before Almunia.

As an aside, I actually thought Song did well, despite what the scoreline would suggest.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,500 ✭✭✭Fuzzy_Dunlop

I'm quite disappointed by letting in the last minute goal again, and also the poor performance in general. But when you think about it it's not too bad at all. Pool have scored 4 against Man Utd., Real Madrid, and Chelsea already, and plus we were missing 3 of the back 5. Also, the result was never that important in any case.

That being said, at the same time it should act as yet another reminder that it is essential to add defensively in summer and learn how to close a game off. If we can do that and keep the rest of the players things look fairly good....course it's never that simple.

Anyone got a hightlights vid?

101 Great Goals is borked

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,441 ✭✭✭✭jesus_thats_gre

Some match tonight, well played!!

playa3 wrote:
    yet another reminder that it is essential to add defensively in summer and learn how to close a game off. If we can do that and keep the rest of the players things look fairly good....course it's never that simple.
    Come on - we all know (and playa3 said it), that's not how it works. You can't just change one part of the jigsaw and not affect the other parts at all.

We've defended very well at times over the last couple of seasons when our first-choice backline is concentrating and playing well and the rest of the team is performing well in terms of retaining possession, etc. Nights like tonight the entire team broke down and it takes more than buying Nemanja Vidic to sort that out.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 13,018 ✭✭✭✭jank

Missed the first part of the first half tonight so I missed the line up. Didnt even know Denilsion was playing until he got taken off for Walcott. He needs to go out on Loan IMO. Nowhere good enough for the first XI. Song did OK actually, looked busy. But we were steam rolled in the middle. TBH its not cesc's job to be the ball winner. He needs a partner. If I were wenger id look into bringing back Flamini. He wouldnt cost that much and he isnt getting much game time in Italy.

Sagna looked like he was still sick. Hopefully that performance was a once off. A CB is the THE most important position we need to look at in the summer. We need a defender who can actually defend.

Sneaky bid for carvalho? He is out of favour at the mo and is a world class defender. Plus I would be surprised if Gallas is with us next season.

And what can you say about Arshavin. WOW!! 15 million looks a bargain right now!
    Provided he stays fit and maintains any level of form then he will be a MASSIVE player for us next season.
    I would **** that man, withdraw, and cum on his back.

Wait, did I just take the superlatives too far

Taken from a United forum which I agree with!!:D

At least we can finally put to rest the Arshavin naysayers.
    Must kinda suck to score four and not come out on the winning side.

• Advertisement

Right what did we learn tonight?

1. Arshavin is quality

2. Arsenal cannot defend to save their lives and crumble under any kind of pressure.

Neither bode well for the champions league. Still, cracking game & the unbeaten run continues. Pity it handed United the title, it feels dirty.

i wouldnt think the title is over yet. Sure united will be encouraged but we have to play them yet, tottenham play them this weekend, man city wont present any walkover at this stage of the season. i think also if middlesborough are fighting for their life they are capable of beating them at the riverside not to mention Wigan causing an upset at the JJB. i totally agree with you on the point of our defense. In the golden wenger years we had adams, keown/campbell, then later toure/campbell as well as an in form senderos but we are now thin on the ground when toure, gallas or both are out. for one djourou is the louis saha of centre halves and is a liability at the club and silvestre's legs are gone. to be fair he is originally a full back. for me phil jagielka is the best centre half around at the moment. what a snip he was at 4 million and could play in goal prob better then fabianski :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,920 ✭✭✭AnCapaillMor

Its a pity the defense rained on Arshavins and Songs parade, Song was amazing, Arshavin i can't come up with the words.

Hopefully Almunia back for next week (apparently not in time for Boro at the weekend though).

Should definitely help steady the ship a bit at the back.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,706 ✭✭✭premierstone

jank wrote: »
    He needs a partner. If I were wenger id look into bringing back Flamini. He wouldnt cost that much and he isnt getting much game time in Italy.

Yes how much is your pride and self respect these days, that traitor has made he's bed and can get fcuked up the ar*e by Gattuso & co in it now :mad:
    Hopefully Almunia back for next week (apparently not in time for Boro at the weekend though).

Should definitely help steady the ship a bit at the back.

While yes I agree Almunia has been fantastic of late anyone that thinks Fabianski was culpable last night needs a new telly or a new pass time, the problems were all in front of him, Sagna was clearly not 100%, Silvestre was well Silvestre, and Toure is not the same player when Gallas is missing and infact IMO none of the back four are,

While yes I agree Almunia has been fantastic of late anyone that thinks Fabianski was culpable last night needs a new telly or a new pass time, the problems were all in front of him, Sagna was clearly not 100%, Silvestre was well Silvestre, and Toure is not the same player when Gallas is missing and infact IMO none of the back four are,

Fabianski did well. Possibly a little disappointed with the goal that he got a hand to but overall much improved.

I feel that Almunia has more experience and might help to organise the defence a little better.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement