Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Arsenal Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,170 ✭✭✭Royale with Cheese

Predictions for tomorrow? Can see a weak team being put out, players being rested for the Champions League etc.

I'll stab a guess at a team, pretty hard considering we don't know if Almunia, Djourou or even Eduardo are fully fit.

Almunia

Sagna
    Toure
    Silvestre----Gibbs
    Arshavin----Diaby
    Song
    Vela

Bendtner
    Eduardo

I doubt the team will end up looking anything like that. A few players will be rested for the Champions League so that's why I don't have Adebayor, Walcott, Nasri, Fabregas.

Almunia not 100% fit but I've got him back him to get some match practice, not gonna risk Djourou. Suppose Eboue could play instead of Sagna if he's still not 100%, would prefer Sagna to get match more practice though. Song's on a good run of form, no point resting him.

I doubt it'll happen but I've got Eduardo up front as I really want to see him play in midweek and he needs match practice too. Since his 'comeback' over 2 months ago he's only managed 3 games, very disappointing.

Double post. Nooooooo.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,097 ✭✭✭DenMan

I see Fabianski starting tomorrow and Manuel back for the Utd game on Wed night. I also predict big things from Rosicky next season as he will be back to his very best. Wenger has faith in him and that's all we need to know. Come on Tomas, we believe in you.

• Registered Users Posts: 508 ✭✭✭itsjaybud

Im hoping Djourou would be okay to start the game tomorrow and give Toure a rest before the Utd game.

Complete disaster if Toure picks up an injury imo.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,748 ✭✭✭tony1kenobi

DenMan wrote: »
    I also predict big things from Rosicky next season as he will be back to his very best.

This is what I have been saying all along. Rosicky and Arshavin?

Stick your defensive midfielder up your hole....We'd score 26 goals every game.

• Advertisement

yahoo_moe wrote: »

Not the agent :)

the agent seems a good sort though. agents are ruthless enough to drop clients that have bad injuries too. as well as that he seems to be on the same wavelength as AW. no i think rosicky is a good pro alright to be fair to him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,132 ✭✭✭✭Quazzie

Good ould Jamie Redknapp is gone off on another anti-Arsenal rant at the half time analysis. At least he is consistent in being and anti-gunner/pro spurs daddy wanker.

How do sky let him get away with such bias against Arsenal. Andy Gray who would much ather see both Everton or Aston Villa (both teams he played for) qualify for the Champions League ahead of Arsenal is nearly as bad. It was funny and entertaining at the start but lately its really pissing me off.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,570 ✭✭✭✭Frisbee

Quazzie wrote: »
    Good ould Jamie Redknapp is gone off on another anti-Arsenal rant at the half time analysis. At least he is consistent in being and anti-gunner/pro spurs daddy wanker.

How do sky let him get away with such bias against Arsenal. Andy Gray who would much ather see both Everton or Aston Villa (both teams he played for) qualify for the Champions League ahead of Arsenal is nearly as bad. It was funny and entertaining at the start but lately its really pissing me off.

100% in agreement.
    It's getting to the stage that I turn off the analysis if either of them are on

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,382 ✭✭✭✭greendom

What was he saying, specifically ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,132 ✭✭✭✭Quazzie

I'm watching it upstairs so I don't have sky+ to go back and quote but he was talking about the two refereeing decisions that went in Bendtners favour (the offisde for the first goal, and the possible handball) and instead of debating them, saying that maybe there was a strong case he was stating it as fact. Even Andy Gray was saying that he thought they were harsh against Middlesborough (and probably they were) but it was just the way Redknapp went on stating it as fact, not even given any leeway as to why Chris Foy didn't give them.

It doesn't sound bad the way I am saying but I guess you'd just have to see it.

Typical as I am typing this he is praising Arsenal. Bah!

Anyways. Good win today. Nice to see Fab scoring again, with some really fluent, dare I say sexy football. :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,342 ✭✭✭✭That_Guy

You did us a massive favour today. Cheers. :)

Seriously, where's Eduardo?

Without 2 of the first choice back 4, and a decent strike partner for Adebayor, I don't really hold any hope of getting past Man Utd.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 911 ✭✭✭Beau x1

Yeah I don't get that either, there was so much hype about him coming back from his injury and now that he's back to full fitness we don't even see him on the pitch.

+1 they were extra hard to listen to today and i nearly got sick when Gray called Redknapp "Jay" ffs they turn my stomach a times. Redknapp just said there at half time in Blackburn game ashley young for young player of the year and giggs for player of the year! Thats complete and utter sh*** imo.

Good win today sum very fluent passing and movement and nice to see Fabregas bagging a few.

Looking forward to utd game and will try and keep positive, hopefully it doesnt go like the FA Cup semi final with Adebayor up top with no support and completly ineffective.

itsjaybud wrote: »
    Redknapp just said there at half time in Blackburn game ashley young for young player of the year and giggs for player of the year!

That was hilarious because he's obviously read like the rest of us that these are the two being heavily tipped to win the awards due to betting patterns/insider info.

Redknapp says it like it's just a hunch he has, he 'has a feeling' it'll be Giggs & Young, moron. Does he all think we're as stupid as he is?

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 15,001 ✭✭✭✭Pepe LeFrits

Worrying selection again from Arsene. Nasri playing behind Fabregas at times, instead of the other way around...

We'll get murdered if he does that against Man United. Fabregas has to play from a deep position if we're to have any chance.

Redknapp says it like it's just a hunch he has, he 'has a feeling' it'll be Giggs & Young, moron. Does he all think we're as stupid as he is?

I'd still put in his wifes back doors.......

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,397 ✭✭✭yahoo_moe

hopefully it doesnt go like the FA Cup semi final with Adebayor up top with no support and completly ineffective.
    Looks like it might unfortunately - certainly I don't see Cesc playing in a regular CM position for the first leg as he's yet to really play there since he came back. From what I saw of today (first 25 minutes), he was dropping deeper than he has done so far but still not enough to really get the benefit of his passing from deep.

It's fine against Boro or City at home when we've loads of the ball and it's constantly getting up to where he can make a difference but against teams like Utd and Chelsea, he has to be the one getting it up there or we'll be rightly screwed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 30,746 ✭✭✭✭Galvasean

Seriously, where's Eduardo?

Its weird how he hasnt gotten so much as a run-out lately while Bender is getting full games.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,828 ✭✭✭gosplan

I think Eduardo was just rested today.

And I'm being totally optimistic about the selection on Wednesday.

Walcott -Song-Fabregas-Nasri
    Adebayor - Eduardo

I mean seriously - fcuk this 4-5-1 European stuff for the moment. If Eduardo's fit, just play two up top and score some nice away goals!

This is a premiership game(if you know what I mean), we're playing against a defence that's conceding quite a few goals at the moment and we need to test them. 4-5-1 is pointless without someone like Arshavin, Hleb etc in the hole and it's really pointless if it forces us to play Denilson - Song - Fabregas.

• Advertisement

I can't see Eduardo just being rested. He's played 3 games in the past 15 months. If he was to feature in midweek he would have got a runout at the very least.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,046 ✭✭✭eZe^

How good is this...

What a player.

I just watched MOTD2...Keown and Dixon...Arsenal in their blood and their analysis of the game was completely impartial...just a moment at the end where Chiles allowed them to indulge in their team.

That is the difference between Arsenal and Spuds/Scouse...(Redknapp)

The others are relying on history and bolshy sh1te talk where our boys can sit back and do their job knowing their home team will do the business or at least entertain....and if they don't the boys will tell it like it is.

BBC= The Times

SkySports= The Sun.

• Registered Users Posts: 688 ✭✭✭Sútalún

eZe^ wrote:

What a player.

Favourite player ever without doubt. Wish we'd kept him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,043 ✭✭✭✭L'prof

This season v previous seasons:
    P   W   D   L   F   A  GD Pts
    2008-2009:  34  18  11   5  60  32  28  65
    2007-2008:  34  20  11   3  64  29  35  71 ( 3rd)
    2006-2007:  34  18   8   8  57  31  26  62 ( 4th)
    2005-2006:  34  17   6  11  57  27  30  57 ( 4th)
    2004-2005:  34  22   8   4  74  33  41  74 ( 2nd)
    2003-2004:  34  24  10   0  69  24  45  82 ( 1st)
    2002-2003:  34  21   8   5  71  36  35  71 ( 2nd)
    2001-2002:  34  22   9   3  70  33  37  75 ( 1st)
    2000-2001:  34  18   9   7  57  33  24  63 ( 2nd)
    1999-2000:  34  20   6   8  64  34  30  66 ( 2nd)
    1998-1999:  34  19  12   3  54  15  39  69 ( 2nd)
    1997-1998:  34  21   9   4  63  28  35  72 ( 1st)
    1996-1997:  34  18   9   7  57  28  29  63 ( 3rd)
    1995-1996:  34  16   9   9  46  30  16  57 ( 5th)

Rolling season:
    2008-2009:  38  22  11   5  70  34  36  77

Current run:
    2008-2009:  20  11   9   0  35  14  21  42

Great to finally beat Southgate!!!

I can't see Eduardo just being rested. He's played 3 games in the past 15 months. If he was to feature in midweek he would have got a runout at the very least.
    Yeah, it's looking pretty unlikely that he'll be involved this week. Then again, with Van Persie out for both legs, maybe Arsene's trying to hold him back so he's definitely around for the second leg.

On the plus side, if he does get a game in either leg, at least we know he doesn't need a run of games to start scoring again :)

Is RVP out for the both legs??:( Im hoping injury news got it right when they updated it last thursday and that he has a chance for the home leg!

I cant see Eduardo starting or even coming on tbh, its hard to look past anything other than a 4-5-1 formation.

I would love to see Eduardo up top alongside Adebayor but i think we'll have to forget about this one for maybe another week or so.

Would be quite happy to see the following;

Walcott---Song---Fabregas---Diaby
    Nasri

Adebayor

Think Diaby would have no problem tracking back and giving Gibbs some protection and we all know hes very decent going forward.

Is RVP out for the both legs??

Just the sore leg.

Would be quite happy to see the following;

Walcott---Song---Fabregas---Diaby
    Nasri

Adebayor

Think Diaby would have no problem tracking back and giving Gibbs some protection and we all know hes very decent going forward.
    Diaby left side is horrible though. If it's that front 6 (and I don't think it will be), I'd rather Nasri left side and Diaby in the hole I think. But I think it'll be Cesc off the front again, Nasri left side and then Song + either Denilson or Diaby.

• Advertisement

Right. I've been a very cagey fan all this season. The word "Transitional" comes to mind when I think about this season.

But, I think we'll surprise a lot of people on Wednesday.

3-0 to Arsenal.

Clean sheet due to no fabianski.

Going to stick a tenner on it.

Papa S wrote: »
    Right. I've been a very cagey fan all this season. The word "Transitional" comes to mind when I think about this season.

But, I think we'll surprise a lot of people on Wednesday.

3-0 to Arsenal.

Clean sheet due to no fabianski.

Going to stick a tenner on it.

Not sure abbout the 3-0 but I think we'll do very well. It's been a while since Man U had a good game. Spurs collapsed on the weekend like a team with nothing to play for but when they were trying, they caused Utd huge problems.

All that said, I'd be more confidant about the scoreline if we had a full defence.

4-1 so ;)

I'll be more than happy with a score draw, or even a narrow scored defeat.

Im gonna say 2-1 to United

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,425 ✭✭✭FearDark

Interview with Silvestre on going back to Old Trafford.
    http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport2/hi/football/8021211.stm

Im getting a feeling we are going to win tomorrow night, possibly 2-1 or 3-2.

yahoo_moe wrote: »
    Diaby left side is horrible though. If it's that front 6 (and I don't think it will be), I'd rather Nasri left side and Diaby in the hole I think. But I think it'll be Cesc off the front again, Nasri left side and then Song + either Denilson or Diaby.

I dont think it will be the front six either but i would be fairly happy if it was tbh. Its a pretty realistic line-up instead of sticking in Eduardo when we know theres not a hope he will start if even feature.

Diaby on the left for me is something i would be pretty comfortable with and he could maybe produce something similar to what he done away to Villa albeit that was from the right!

Diaby starting there and interchanging with Nasri is also possible but I would agree and will be completly shocked if Wenger doesnt go with

Walcott---Song---Denilson---Nasri
    Cesc

Ade

edit: il give my prediction : 2-2
    would settle for 2-1 aswell, but hopefully score a few!!

So what think we of Brede Hangeland?

The noise about him leaving Fulham has steadily increased. He's still only 27 and wouldn't cost too much.

IMO, he'd be the prefect defensive signing. Toure, Gallas, Hangeland and Djourou - 4 players for two positions, 2 stoppers and 2 ball playing centre backs. We know he can do a decent job in the premiership even against the best teams. There's no settling in period, he already lives in London.

With his defensive performances (and ours) this year, I'm sure he wouldn't see himself as third choice defender and would be confidant that he could compete for a starting place.

Couldn't see him complaining too much about our wage structure. It'd only take a tiny amount from our transfer budget and would surely be covered by selling any of our attacking players, one of whom I'm sure will go in the summer.

Personally, I'd much rather sign a competent premiership defender than someone from abroad. We need to hit the ground running at the start of the season with a squad of players who can go straight into the starting 11. IMO, picking from the non-big four defenders (as you won't get anyone else), one has got to go for either Hangeland or Laursen. There are doubts over whether Laursen will ever play again so that rules him out.

This is obviously all conjecture but at his age, his next contract will be the defining one of his career and the guy clearly would want a move to a bigger club. Liverpool, Utd and Chelsea are all OK for CB's so you'd imagine if we came in with a decent offer, he couldn't resist.

• Advertisement

gosplan wrote: »
    IMO, he'd be the prefect defensive signing.

Ha, just re-read this. Obviously 'perfect' might be stretching it a bit but you know what I mean.

See you in a few games lads. We need to beat you again to prove that the last time wasn't a 'fluke'.... ;)

Wenger has instilled plenty of confidence through out the club!

Even the fixtures guy at Arsenal.com is showing it compared to his counterpart at manutd.com!!!

I prefer the look of Arsenals May fixtures towards Uniteds!:)

we're one nil up already!!!

eZe^ wrote: »
    See you in a few games lads. We need to beat you again to prove that the last time wasn't a 'fluke'.... ;)

Last time we outclassed ye and were let down by dodgey goalkeeping. If we both get there this year, I hope the opposite happens and we walk away with the cup ;)

jasonorr wrote: »
    Last time we outclassed ye and were let down by dodgey goalkeeping. If we both get there this year, I hope the opposite happens and we walk away with the cup ;)

Outclassed us? Sigh, Eto'os goal was wrongly disallowed anyway, we should have won 3-1 with your keeper sent off.

• Advertisement

eZe^ wrote: »
    Outclassed us? Sigh, Eto'os goal was wrongly disallowed anyway, we should have won 3-1 with your keeper sent off.

Right...should have, would have...ye had a couple of good chances, but apart from Almunia throwing the match away, we had the better of the game even when we were down to 10 men...we squandered everything, but always looked dangerous!

EDIT: That's how I remember it anyway, of course I could be wrong...maybe!

Nope, Eto'os goal should have stood but Lehmann should have only been booked. Still, water under the bridge now.

I hope Arsene gets the selection right tomorrow. If we have a Denilson-Song CM pairing I think we'll get battered in midfield.

I hope Arsene gets the selection right tomorrow. If we have a Denilson-Song CM pairing I think we'll get battered in midfield.

Song on the bench for me, but knowing Wenger lately he'll talk up the attacking game we're going to play and start with Song and Denilson!

You'd have Denilson play instead of Song?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 30,746 ✭✭✭✭Galvasean

I'm gonna back Song to score. Not sure why, just seems like a decent bet.

Galvasean wrote: »
    I'm gonna back Song to score. Not sure why, just seems like a decent bet.

I already have, 13/1 anytime scorer

Good to see Hleb hasn't lost his goalscoring touch.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,692 ✭✭✭✭OPENROAD

Fever Pitch just starting on Film 4+1. Always worth a watch.

You'd have Denilson play instead of Song?

Definitely! Song is far too slow, which isn't a great quality in a defensive player. I like Song, but I hate nothing more than starting with both of them, it's far too negative!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,545 ✭✭✭✭DvB

I have a horrible feeling about this game, a feeling i havent had since before MU ended Arsenals 49 game unbeaten back run in 2004 at OT, back then of course it ended up pretty much as i had been nervously expecting beforehand, ie that they'd win by a couple of goals with the odd questionable decision going their way thrown into the mix. Despite this being a great chance to get one over them i have a horrible feeling they'll win by 2-0 (or god forbid more than that) due to our own errors/poor defending leaving us with an insurmountable task for the second leg, obviously i hope i'm wrong but cant shift this bloody feeling of dread!!

My heart says Arsenal can win this & go on & win the thing outright but my head is telling me we'll fook it up like we did in the FAC.
    "I will honour Christmas in my heart, and try to keep it all the year" - Charles Dickens

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement