Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

North region forums - time to scrap?

Options
  • 14-07-2008 7:32pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 8,632 ✭✭✭

I visit the north a few times a year. I posted a few posts in the North forums a few months back to see if there is any sign of life. Cant understand why they are still there in the 'region' section. There is the odd renegade post now and again but they seem well and truely dead. Counties like Derry, Armagh etc get the odd post every few months but the more wierd counties like Antrim get none at all. Not exactly supprising it has to be said. Maybe if a forum for the Orange people was setup it might attract some attention but anything with a .ie address seems off limits. Its obvious boards.ie really does stop at the border.

Anyways just a suggestion - they seem to be taking up unnessacary bandwidth.

Take a look at Belfast for example......

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=477

A dedicated Termonfeckin thread would get more responses.
    Post edited by Shield on

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,910 ✭✭✭✭RoundyMooney

Why remove them?

You never know when a forum may come to life. Generally this doesn't happen overnight, but is more of a gradual process.

The critical mass of this site should be of at least some help in getting things going.

Start a thread or two, they may not get replies initially, but I'll guarantee more people read them then you would think.

If you want dead, the international boards sub-sites are, sadly, a case in point.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

Agree with Mooney. Carlow is a good example of a forum that was once dead that has now came to life.

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 47,307 ✭✭✭✭Zaph

I'm harbouring feint hopes that some day someone will stumble across the Dublin West forum.

Sully wrote: »
    Agree with Mooney. Carlow is a good example of a forum that was once dead that has now came to life.

Carlow zombies are the worst.

[Real Answer] Yeah, Roundy makes sense.

• Registered Users Posts: 46,106 ✭✭✭✭muffler

darkman2 wrote: »
    Maybe if a forum for the Orange people was setup it might attract some attention but anything with a .ie address seems off limits. Its obvious boards.ie really does stop at the border.
    I dont know if you are from the North or from any of the border counties but you should know better than to post the likes of that. Dragging religion into a feedback thread is unhelpful to put it mildly.

And by removing forums you wouldn't see a situation where boards.ie could be accused of being parochial in the manner of providing county and regional fora?

Leave well enough alone. If its not broke dont fix it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,212 ✭✭✭Beanstalk

Counties like Derry, Armagh etc get the odd post every few months but the more wierd counties like Antrim get none at all. Not exactly supprising it has to be said.

What's weird about Antrim? I don't understand, you need to go to the braindressers Antrim back that biased opinion young man.:pac:
    Maybe if a forum for the Orange people was setup it might attract some attention but anything with a .ie address seems off limits. Its obvious boards.ie really does stop at the border.

Because everybody in the North is in the Orange order. :rolleyes: Oh wait, you mean the people that use the Orange phone network don't you.....?

• Subscribers Posts: 9,716 ✭✭✭CuLT

Not taking up unnecessary bandwidth.

Thanks for the feedback.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 8,632 ✭✭✭darkman2

Im not 'dragging' religion into it. I think its just a fact the majority population there is Unionist anyway and unlikely to contribute to Boards and most Irish sites. Although a sizeable portion of the population would - they dont. It is also a fact that the forums have been there for years and they are dead. Blissfully ignored.

Why not make a single 'Northern Ireland' or 'Ulster' or 'North of Ireland' section instead of individual counties? Just to try and get it going and then reintroduce the counties when its popular enough? Maybe its too fragmented starting with the individual counties.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,509 ✭✭✭✭randylonghorn

Soon as you deleted them someone would start a thread going "Why are the counties in the north not deserving of their own forums? ... What have you lot of bigoted southerners got against the north? ... thread ... powah ... fite ... faceplant!"

Zaph wrote: »
    I'm harbouring feint hopes that some day someone will stumble across the Dublin West forum.
    Hmmm ... 42?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,743 ✭✭✭funk-you

Im not 'dragging' religion into it.

Why would you even mention anything orange? Of course, thats what everyone in the norths lives revolve around. It's ok, i get ya now.
    I think its just a fact the majority population there is Unionist anyway and unlikely to contribute to Boards and most Irish sites.

Ay, because things are just that black and white.
    Why not make a single 'Northern Ireland' or 'Ulster' or 'North of Ireland' section instead of individual counties? Just to try and get it going and then reintroduce the counties when its popular enough? Maybe its too fragmented starting with the individual counties.

Why? Forums can be dead for a long time and become popular. They're not doing any harm so where's the problem?

-Funk

• Advertisement

funk-you wrote: »

Ay, because things are just that black and white.

If you were ever in the North you would know things are very black and white.

Keep them the way they are then - I was just making a suggestion. I dont think the forums will be buzzing any time soon though. ;)

If you were ever in the North you would know things are very black and white.

Keep them the way they are then - I was just making a suggestion. I dont think the forums will be buzzing any time soon though. ;)

The GF of 4 years is from Belfast. I spend quite a bit of time there so i'd have to diagree but feedback's not the place i suppose.

-Funk

• Registered Users Posts: 7,589 ✭✭✭Hail 2 Da Chimp

Feedback? Not the perfect place for disagreement?

Feedback? Not the perfect place for disagreement?

Off topic disagreement?

-Funk

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,152 ✭✭✭ozt9vdujny3srf

lolcat.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 83,235 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

Myth wrote: »
    Carlow zombies are the worst.
    Carlow Zombies gave you the Nocturnal Forum ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 11,987 ✭✭✭✭zAbbo

Too many 'facts' from the OP, and I find this thread a bit offensive.

There are many people from NI who post on boards, but not in the regional forums, much like the huge amount of Irish people who post on boards but not in the regional forums.

I can remember when the regional forums covered every county, then back into regions, and now broken out into counties again.

It's depressing that this kind of bull**** can be alive in this day and age, damn those orange people and their hatred of .ie domains! :(

orange-peel-man.jpg

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,497 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

would be pointless to delete them, in fairness I remember when the Waterford forum was dead...now look at it

Cabaal wrote: »
    in fairness I remember when the Waterford forum was dead
    I remember that too....it was yesterday wasn't it? ;)

lol

zAbbo wrote: »
    Too many 'facts' from the OP

The Mustard forum is more popular.:rolleyes:

Ive nothing against oranges btw.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 37,301 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

muffler wrote: »
    If its not broke dont fix it.
    /me see's darkman2's sig "If it aint broke, fix it till it is".

You are becoming like the government, I see...:rolleyes::D:p

the_syco wrote: »
    Oh God forbid :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 18,585 ✭✭✭✭kippy

Strange,
    Just posted in the Antrim Forum there then spotted this topic.
    While they arent used at the moment, they are still handy to have there. Not doing any harm to anyone.
    Kippy

the_syco wrote: »
    /me see's darkman2's sig "If it aint broke, fix it till it is".

Aye but you see - it is broke. Thats the difference. I note Kippy is talking to himself in the Antrim forum!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,722 ✭✭✭ibh

I keep an eye on the Nordie forums cause i work in Belfast. There is very little activity on them but hopefully it'll pick up eventually.

There might be more people looking at the Belfast forum if more people commuted to Belfast for work from Republic. Dumbass train service can't get a cross border train into the city before 10am... :rolleyes:

Maybe when colleges starts up again a few people will bring Boards to the masses round Queens and Jordanstown.
    Personally i hope not. People i work with don't know what Boards is. This is good cause i can look at it during work.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,220 ✭✭✭20 Times 20 Times

Someone woke me up :(

I moderate the region and all the sub forums in it , I dont see any reason to delete it what so ever and it down to the members to make the most out of them.

Advertisement