Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Aston Villa Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,219 ✭✭✭invincibleirish

MONs always been a sucker for the last day deals at both Villa & Celtic, its been a disappointing summer transfer wise but thats been the same for most clubs, its only now that the transfer silly season is cranking up a gear and keeping GB at the Villa is better then pretty much any signing MON can make (bar a Messi obviously:p).

So lets wait til deadline day before we pass judgement, ill bring the noose.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,661 ✭✭✭✭Helix

registration for the uefa qualifier is monday. registration for the first round is 3 weeks after that. all before transfer deadline day

its an absolute nonsense at this stage. why cant we just treat every day like deadline day and get the signings in so they can gel instead of waiting til the last minute and panic buying sub par players because we left it too late for the others and they were gone elsewhere

I hear you Helix but we know this was going to happen, what concerns is not the lack 0f activity but whether Villas last minute signings will be any cop or not, we dont need more Harewoods, Routledge's & Knights (much as l love the hare!).

definitely, and precedent suggest that they WONT be any cop

looking at the squad, you have to say we need 8 players. we wont get 8, but by christ do we need 8

as ive said a few times before if this season goes tits up, which it may well do, i wouldnt bet on mon being in charge this time next year, and i dont think youll find many who would disagree with it. the fact is that hes walking on a razorblade because of his transfer dealings. if it works like last year, hes a hero, if it doesnt he's going to find the fans on his back pretty quickly with nobody to blame but himself.

and you cant call the fans fickle for that. every single one of us knows that we're in serious trouble if we dont sign more quality, and in vast quantities. from the outside, to non villa fans, things look rosey and i get funny looks for suggesting mon might be on the end of a backlash soon, but youd be surprised how many people are absolutely gobsmacked when they realise just how bad it is

As ever Helix you provide lots of food for thought.

Going off all the PR noises coming out of VP & MON there is a realisation that we need reinforcements,thus i'd be surprised if there are few or little signings between now and the end of the window. If not and we hit a bad run of results and suffer the proverbial bad luck with injuries and MON will be under pressure and justifiably so.

But for now he has to get the benefit of he doubt, he has earned it. Every season is a make or break for a manager but this really is for MON, in terms of the PL he has done the easy bit of saving Villa from obscurity, now Villa should be aiming to at least aim to stay in the top 6 and ideally top 4, right now it doesnt look like we will, but there a month to go lets keep the faith!, and of course i wonder what exactly Lerners role is in the lack of big signings, is MON really that tight fisted or are his hands tied? at Celtic he spent every penny he could get, ditto leicester.

Bentley apparantly being unveiled by Spurs tomorrow, hmm.

• Advertisement

the thing about mon and celtic and leicester was that he spent his money at the last minute too, and he never, EVER had to compete like he does now for signings. nor did he have to sign anywhere near the standard of player he does now

just booked my flights for the city game (again)

im gonna go mental if loads of games ive booked flights for are moved

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,323 ✭✭✭Savman

16th > 11th > 6th.

Savman wrote: »
    16th > 11th > 6th.

and whatll it count for if we dont sort the squad out? **** all

are you going to look back in a few years when we're still recovering from the mess of the 08/09 season where we had to play the tea lady and reminisce about that time we finished 6th?

or like everyone else, would you like to see us using our 6th place finish to attract bloody good players instead, and have us push for even better things?

Helix wrote: »
    and whatll it count for if we dont sort the squad out? **** all

are you going to look back in a few years when we're still recovering from the mess of the 08/09 season where we had to play the tea lady and reminisce about that time we finished 6th?

or like everyone else, would you like to see us using our 6th place finish to attract bloody good players instead, and have us push for even better things?
    You're arguing against solid logic, that'll make you look quite the fool I say. Results, results, judge him on results and stop the whining :eek:

• Advertisement

so you think the squad is find yeh? and you dont think we're in a mess that can only be sorted out by a fair number of quality purchases?

or are you just another of the "martin o'neill is deadly at everything he does, ever" brigade?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,951 ✭✭✭✭Villain

What date is it Helix?? seriously man you need give MON some time, he has made two very good signing's and looks to have held onto our Captain, its happening give him time.

Villain wrote: »
    What date is it Helix?? seriously man you need give MON some time.

its the 30th of july, 80 days since the season closed, 4 days from the uefa cup registration deadline, and 17 days until the start of the season.

martin o'neill has had enough time

this is his 5th transfer window and its the same story as the last 4

so you think the squad is find yeh? and you dont think we're in a mess that can only be sorted out by a fair number of quality purchases?

or are you just another of the "martin o'neill is deadly at everything he does, ever" brigade?
    Yes, I think Martin O'Neill is deadly, so shoot me. Villa 5-1 SHA. 'nuff said.
    So we need a few additions, big fooking deal. We're not gonna get Superstarinho from some exotic club for £20m, that's not how MON works so please stop blabbering on about every signing he doesn't make. He has his methods and he ain't gonna change them for nobody.

So we need a few additions, big fooking deal.

how many do you think we need, and i mean NEED, not would like
    We're not gonna get Superstarinho from some exotic club for £20m, that's not how MON works so please stop blabbering on about every signing he doesn't make. He has his methods and he ain't gonna change them for nobody.

where have i EVER mentioned wanting superstars at villa park? id settle for players of any decent variety

his methods have us with the smallest squad in england, again, as we had for the last 18 months. its all well and good when we're not getting injuries and its going well, but will you say the same thing if it all goes pearshaped this season? do you like the idea of your clubs manager running such ridiculous risks?

are you going to sit back and say "its ok we have martin o'neill" until the worst happens and you realise we're in very bad shape? whatll you do if that happens? still go around saying mon knew exactly what he was doing and he was dead right, and its not coz hes rubbish in the transfer market, its just coz thats his "method"

we hear every window about how the player has to be the right one, he has to be quality and he has to be a fighter. then we sign the likes of knight, routledge, salifou, petrov etc

if thats martin o'neills "method" and those players are the right quality players for aston villa, then im very very worried about our long term future

its the 30th of july, 80 days since the season closed, 4 days from the uefa cup registration deadline, and 17 days until the start of the season.

martin o'neill has had enough time

this is his 5th transfer window and its the same story as the last 4
    Who was Aston Villa's top league goalscorer last season?
    And which player provided Aston Villa's most assists last season?
    Who signed both above players for Aston Villa?

Who was Aston Villa's top league goalscorer last season?
    And which player provided Aston Villa's most assists last season?
    Who signed both above players for Aston Villa?

and who has failed to buy enough players of suitable quality to run the risk of being detrimental to those players in the coming season?

add the right winger we so desperately need and teams cant stick 2 on young, plus carew has double the service

although you clearly cant see that

youre the mr alan of villa supporters. i hate that pathetic "our club does no wrong" bull****

our current first team squad, the players in bold are the players who are fit and good enough to be playing football in a top six squad

Goalkeepers:
    Brad Fiedel
    Stuart Taylor

Right Backs:
    None

Left Backs:
    Wilfred Bouma

Center Backs:
    Curtis Davies
    Martin Laursen
    Zat Knight

Left Midfielders:
    Ashley Young

Central Midfielders:
    Gareth Barry
    Stiliyan Petrov
    Steve Sidwell (not bold coz hes been shoddy so far, but i would hope he'll be a very good signing with time)
    Nigel Reo Coker
    Craig Gardner (while hes deployed at right back hes not good enough)

Right Midfielders:
    Wayne Routledge
    Moustapha Salifou

Attackers:
    Shaun Maloney (obviously never going to get a start for some reason)
    Gabby Agbonlahor
    Marlon Harewood
    Nathan Delfouneso (gonna be great, but wont feature much til the end of the season)
    John Carew

youre the mr alan of villa supporters.
    That's rich coming from someone who's posted some real garbage in the other thread about how "everyone hates Liverpool". Didn't you also call him "Fat Rafa"? Really mature.
    Helix wrote:
    i hate that pathetic "our club does no wrong" bull****
    Oh poor you. Go and support Real Madrid if you want twenty useless mega money signings every transfer window.

our current first team squad, the players in bold are the players who are fit and good enough to be playing football in a top six squad IMO

Fixed that for you, unless you have agreed with Randy to replace MON

• Advertisement

our current first team squad, the players in bold are the players who are fit and good enough to be playing football in a top six squad
    You forgot "IMHO".

That's rich coming from someone who's posted some real garbage in the other thread about how "everyone hates Liverpool". Didn't you also call him "Fat Rafa"? Really mature.

nope, i didnt call him fat rafa. i made no comments about benitez at all in fact
    Oh poor you. Go and support Real Madrid if you want twenty useless mega money signings every transfer window.

where did i say i wanted mega money signings

are you somehow incapable of understanding that im not expecting them? i want good players into the team, i want 2 right backs coz we have none. i want left back cover coz we have none. i want center back cover coz we have none. i want a couple of right wingers coz we have none who'll get picked. i want another forward to start against teams who defend deep and render gabby agbonlahor. you know, i want the things we actually desperately need

Fixed that for you, unless you have agreed with Randy to replace MON

so which out of the squad that i didnt mark do you think are good enough for a top 6 football club?

It doesn't really matter what I think, its what MON thinks that matters, what other manager do you think could have brought us from 16th to 11th and then to 6th?

It doesn't really matter what I think, its what MON thinks that matters, what other manager do you think could have brought us from 16th to 11th and then to 6th?

brian little, john gregory and dave o'leary all did much the same when they took over us in case it slipped your mind?

Well they all fell at the next hurdle, but you don't even want to let MON try that hurdle.

Seriously do you think another manager coming in and buying 7 or 8 players would have done better than MON last season?

I called him fat Rafa and reserve the right to do so again, considering Pool fans were calling MON a Pleb in same thread im sure they dont care if we do likewise.

Now how shall we settle this, Queensbury rules?

cats_fighting_102006.jpg

We're Villa fans, not pro/anti Liverpool, **** 'em! GB stays for now.

I called him fat Rafa and reserve the right to do so again, considering Pool fans were calling MON a Pleb in same thread im sure they dont care if we do likewise.
    Fairy nuff. I don't know exactly what that achieves but this Villa/Liverpool is getting ridiculous. I hope we kick seven shades of sh*t out of them at Villa Park but there is no denying they are a far better footballing side so in the grander scheme of things we'll only end up with egg on our face and look like bitter idiots. It would take Liverpool to self destruct before we could leapfrog them, it's not impossible considering the off field issues but they still have the players to rescue them from any real disastrous slide down the table.

That said, I would love it if we could go there and beat them :)

Well they all fell at the next hurdle, but you don't even want to let MON try that hurdle.

Seriously do you think another manager coming in and buying 7 or 8 players would have done better than MON last season?

oh im up for letting him take the next hurdle, ive never even suggested not letting him take it. im just saying that im very very concerned hes going to fall at it too, and leave us in a worse state than the 3 i mentioned did

say we finish 11th this season, our chance to capitalise on a top 6 finish is gone. this summer is exactly where we make the step up, or flounder

so far its flounder

• Advertisement

It would take Liverpool to self destruct before we could leapfrog them

or us to sign some players capable of helping us push a bit more than we did last season?

say we finish 11th this season, our chance to capitalise on a top 6 finish is gone. this summer is exactly where we make the step up, or flounder

so far its flounder
    I hope you have the receipt for that crystal ball. I'd like to think Villa winning a cup or doing Top 6 again would shut you the hell up for a while but I'm sure you'd find something to moan about. Maybe the shade of green isn't quite green enough on the Villa Park turf?

:rolleyes:

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,879 Mod ✭✭✭✭Bounty Hunter

Helix i really like how much you seem to care, but it really does seem at times like you are waiting for MON to fail, just so you can post that you told us all.

I hope you have the receipt for that crystal ball. I'd like to think Villa winning a cup or doing Top 6 again would shut you the hell up for a while but I'm sure you'd find something to moan about. Maybe the shade of green isn't quite green enough on the Villa Park turf?

:rolleyes:

where did i say it would happen? i said IF it happens

do you not think we're a bit more likely to do those things you mentioned if our manager sorted his transfer market dealings out? no?

youre avoiding every single question i ask and instead reply with the kind of tripe ive just quoted

or us to sign some players capable of helping us push a bit more than we did last season?
    *yawn*
    Is this CD on repeat?

Helix i really like how much you seem to care, but it really does seem at times like you are waiting for MON to fail, just so you can post that you told us all.

not at all, id love nothing more than him to succeed. its just getting more obvious with every passing day that its not going to happen

do you not agree with the points im making here?

• Advertisement

do you not think we're a bit more likely to do those things you mentioned if our manager sorted his transfer market dealings out? no?
    No I don't. I disagree with pretty much your entire outlook on AVFC. Is that clear enough for you, is it explained in simple enough terms that it might register this time? You're away with the fairies on so many things, nothing I nor anyone can say will break down that thick wall of stubborn ignorance.

You'll be delighted the day MON walks, I won't. End of story.

*yawn*
    Is this CD on repeat?

maybe try answering the questions then. ill put them into one easy post for you:

1) are you going to look back in a few years when we're still recovering from the mess of the 08/09 season where we had to play the tea lady and reminisce about that time we finished 6th?

2) so you think the squad is fine yeh? and you dont think we're in a mess that can only be sorted out by a fair number of quality purchases?

3) or are you just another of the "martin o'neill is deadly at everything he does, ever" brigade?

4) where have i EVER mentioned wanting superstars at villa park?

5) his methods have us with the smallest squad in england, again, as we had for the last 18 months. its all well and good when we're not getting injuries and its going well, but will you say the same thing if it all goes pearshaped this season? do you like the idea of your clubs manager running such ridiculous risks?

6) are you going to sit back and say "its ok we have martin o'neill" until the worst happens and you realise we're in very bad shape? whatll you do if that happens?

7) who has failed to buy enough players of suitable quality to run the risk of being detrimental to those players in the coming season?

8) Originally Posted by Savman
    It would take Liverpool to self destruct before we could leapfrog them

9) do you not think we're a bit more likely to do those things you mentioned if our manager sorted his transfer market dealings out? no?

9 questions, all perfectly valid and topical, pertaining to the running of aston villa at this current time. please answer them and stop posting silly retorts

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,951 ✭✭✭DSB

Its definitely worrying how much defence of Martin O'Neill there is in this thread. We'll probably do decent enough again this season, but the tiny size of our squad is nothing short of negligence. I know the window isn't closed yet but we're way behind schedule, and wherever we do finish this season, we'll be most likely left feeling like we could have been a place or 2 higher with a decent sized squad.

You'll be delighted the day MON walks, I won't. End of story.

do you support aston villa football club or martin o'neill football manager?

do you not agree with the points im making here?

not most of them but then again everyone knows we have a threadbare squad we need investment with players etc now but most of us try to emphasise the positives and hope that MON fixes the negatives i.e the RB situation as he like us can see all the things that are wrong with the squad but only he can fix it. When/if he fails to ill bitch until then MON has shown with Villa's results thus far he is doing a good job.

• Advertisement

most of them but then again everyone knows we have a threadbare squad we need investment with players etc now but most of us try to emphasise the positives and hope that MON fixes the negatives i.e the RB situation as he like us can see all the things that are wrong with the squad but only he can fix it. When/if he fails to ill bitch until then MON has shown with Villa's results thus far he is doing a good job.

i dunno,that outlook just seems to me like sitting in a car with your blindfolded mate and saying "if we make it to the end of the road grand, if we crash ill give out about it then"

i dunno,that outlook just seems to me like sitting in a car with your blindfolded mate and saying "if we make it to the end of the road grand, if we crash ill give out about it then"

maybe your mate that you dont think is the best driver, not blindfolded. interesting analogy

is the same conversation happening in 2 threads?

9 questions, all perfectly valid and topical, pertaining to the running of aston villa at this current time. please answer them and stop posting silly retorts
    Ha! On which planet do you normally reside? You snap your fingers and demand I answer your questions...or what exactly? What higher power are you to think anybody has to even entertain you?
    Earth to Helix, it's past your bedtime.

maybe your mate that you dont think is the best driver, not blindfolded. interesting analogy

my point is its glaringly obvious that we're potentially in trouble. i dont buy into the whole view that "yeah but it MIGHT work out alrite", we shouldnt be in the position where we're relying on might. we should be in a position where we had strengthened considerably by now. we are not, and therein lies my entire point

Ha! On which planet do you normally reside? You snap your fingers and demand I answer your questions...or what exactly? What higher power are you to think anybody has to even entertain you?
    Earth to Helix, it's past your bedtime.

why arent you answering the questions? as i say theyre all pertaining to aston villa club, so why completely ignore them all? theyre fair questions im asking to see where exactly you stand on these issues, as a fellow aston villa supporter

why arent you answering the questions? as i say theyre all pertaining to aston villa club, so why completely ignore them all? theyre fair questions im asking to see where exactly you stand on these issues, as a fellow aston villa supporter
    I'm not answering your questions because I couldn't be arsed. Here's a tip: if you want mature conversation with well thought out opinions exchanged, don't resort to snide remarks and a pathetic smear campaign that spills into 2 threads. I have no time for such muppetry thanks, try the Thunderdome.

my point is its glaringly obvious that we're potentially in trouble. i dont buy into the whole view that "yeah but it MIGHT work out alrite", we shouldnt be in the position where we're relying on might. we should be in a position where we had strengthened considerably by now. we are not, and therein lies my entire point

not that it just might work out but that MON knows exactley what we know and therefore that we will be looking to try and solve the problems you are pointing out, if he doesent then we should def criticise the gaffers handling of the squad.

I'm not answering your questions because I couldn't be arsed. Here's a tip: if you want mature conversation with well thought out opinions exchanged, don't resort to snide remarks and a pathetic smear campaign that spills into 2 threads. I have no time for such muppetry thanks, try the Thunderdome.

perhaps i should post comical images of panic buttons, and reply to questions about the managers transfer market activities this year with 3 numbers?

not that it just might work out but that MON knows exactley what we know and therefore that we will be looking to try and solve the problems you are pointing out, if he doesent then we should def criticise the gaffers handling of the squad.

i know this, but does the fact that it wasnt addressed in the previous windows not worry you that it might not be addressed again, and we might squander our only chance of capitalising on a top 6 finish to bring in a higher standard of player?

perhaps i should post comical images of panic buttons, and reply to questions about the managers transfer market activities this year with 3 numbers?
    Word weren't having any effect, figured I'd try pictures and numbers.
    Tomorrow we read Ann & Barry.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement