Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Aston Villa Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 657 ✭✭✭tomred1

JPA wrote: »
    He's the engine of the team this season. How can you not see it?
    It's not exactly subtle.
    What do you mean the "engine room"? As i said earlier i don't feel any of our attacks start through him or he gives enough cover to our defence.
    Yep Petrov is my POTY too, although he's been knackered since about March and him, Barry & the 442 don't work. Tomred1 i think what you can say about Petrov is that he does the simple things well.

Yeah i agree with you there, don't see him give the ball away much in fairness.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,924 ✭✭✭shoutman

Petrov is my player of the year as well. He has been consistent and is just pure effort, he is the model of what a MON type player is in the position he plays. Unspectacular but 100% commitment, does the simple things better then anyone else, can pick a pass too. Unfortunately he has yet to score any screamers for Villa. Next year maybe?

I can understand tomreds attitude, for someone who doesn't track down villa matchs (watching them on the web etc) he could look like a bit part player, MOTD will never do him justice.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,661 ✭✭✭✭Helix

shoutman wrote: »
    Unfortunately he has yet to score any screamers for Villa

half volley from just inside the half way line doesnt count as a screamer in your book?

:p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,793 ✭✭✭✭JPA

tomred1 wrote: »
    What do you mean the "engine room"? As i said earlier i don't feel any of our attacks start through him or he gives enough cover to our defence.

What I mean by engine is that he's the energy of the team. He definitely starts attacks just not directly. He breaks things up and passes the ball off to Barry or Milner or Young or will try a long pass.

Helix wrote: »
    half volley from just inside the half way line doesnt count as a screamer in your book?

:p

Lol I should of said multiple screamers.

I actually have Petrov's signature on my Gaz Baz jersey, right beside Didier Agathes jersey lol.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 657 ✭✭✭tomred1

shoutman wrote: »
    I can understand tomreds attitude, for someone who doesn't track down villa matchs (watching them on the web etc) he could look like a bit part player, MOTD will never do him justice.

No need to get personnel,I have no attitude, im just seeking the reasons why people think Petrov is our POTY. By the way i have been to 4 home games this season and have seen nearly every other game live on TV or net.I have posted a few links to games in this thread!!

Tom i'm in no way getting personnal, I was attempting to stand up for you...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,219 ✭✭✭invincibleirish

Right from the summer time through to around March Petrov was the standout performer for Villa, making the passes, winning the ball,harrying the opposition player who has possession, doing that shimmy he does when it looks like he's going to make the pass but twists left or right instead.

Tomred1 perhaps its not because you have not seen him perform but you might just not give much credence to what he does?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,518 ✭✭✭matrim

I voted for Luke Young. For me he just pips it ahead of Petrov because he was playing so well while also being played out of position

The order of the top 4 for me would be

L Young
    Petrov
    A Young
    Carew (I know he missed a bit of the season but while he was fit he played very well)

carew wouldve walked home with the award if he hadnt missed so much of the season

hes had an incredible goal return when you consider he missed 3 months

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 857 ✭✭✭wynters

carew wouldve walked home with the award if he hadnt missed so much of the season

hes had an incredible goal return when you consider he missed 3 months

Agreed.

Unless we make a HUGE signing during the summer (and of course assuming that Barry and Laursen depart) then Carew should be made club captain next year. He's the right age, the most experienced, he's a massive presence on the pitch, and he seems to love that 'like playing with your big brother' thing Young and Gabby christened him with earlier in the season. Like the old sayin' goes - "the armband makes him a better player!". I think the role and the responsibility could really suit him...

wynters wrote: »
    Agreed.

Unless we make a HUGE signing during the summer (and of course assuming that Barry and Laursen depart) then Carew should be made club captain next year. He's the right age, the most experienced, he's a massive presence on the pitch, and he seems to love that 'like playing with your big brother' thing Young and Gabby christened him with earlier in the season. Like the old sayin' goes - "the armband makes him a better player!". I think the role and the responsibility could really suit him...

Ha, that is never ever going to happen!

:) Why not!?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,951 ✭✭✭DSB

I'd love that actually.

id love it too, but i dont think carew is captain material tbh

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,249 ✭✭✭✭Kinetic^

Eh no. Barry or Petrov please.

Kinetic^ wrote: »
    Eh no. Barry or Petrov please.

Barry should never be captain after his actions, and probably won't be here next season anyway. Petrov has only had one good season for us, so it'd be way too early to give him captaincy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,492 ✭✭✭MementoMori

According to Wikipedia currently Laursen is captain. Barry, Petrov and NRC are vice-captains. Since Lauren has been out injured Barry has been acting as captain.

According to Wikipedia currently Laursen is captain. Barry, Petrov and NRC are vice-captains. Since Lauren has been out injured Barry has been acting as captain.

Yes but that doesn't mean any of the above will be captain next season. If Laursen has to retire, the captaincy could be given to anyone really.

• Advertisement

luke young will be skipper next year anyway

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,951 ✭✭✭✭Villain

Petrov should be captain if you ever watch he is awlays motivating and driving the team on

talk that uefa might consider giving chelsea a season long ban from europe

of course if they do, we'll bottle it and finish 6th

talk that uefa might consider giving chelsea a season long ban from europe

of course if they do, we'll bottle it and finish 6th

Link to said talk?

they were talking about it on 5 live according to some vt heads

they were talking about it on 5 live according to some vt heads

They were saying it should happen, or that it actually is a possibility?

• Advertisement

Surely Drogba and his gang will face bans similar to the 7 month ban players got after the Valencia - Inter tie a few years ago. Villa would bottle 5th anyway.

http://soccernet.espn.go.com/news/story?id=414461&cc=5739

Will never happen. Someone would need to be killed or something for a team to be banned.

DSB wrote: »
    They were saying it should happen, or that it actually is a possibility?

that its a possibility

cant see it happening myself

thatd REALLY push the conspiracy theorists over the edge

I'm more then willing to don a tinfoil hat and deny 9/11 if there's a tenuous chance Villa could sneak into the CL. But c'mon the very real conspiracy is the cartel of elite clubs at the top of the game, as if they would dump out one of their own!.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,154 ✭✭✭✭Neil3030

Not even a guarantee they'll give any vacated spot (which, in any event, is the Peter North of long shots) to the next best Premiership team either...

• Advertisement

Neil3030 wrote: »
    Not even a guarantee they'll give any vacated spot (which, in any event, is the Peter North of long shots) to the next best Premiership team either...

They wouldn't have a choice, the Premiership nominates 4 teams, if Chelsea aren't 1 of those, it will go to the team below. The Premiership can choose to not nominate any team for Europe if they so choose. They'd obviously never do it for no reason, but they could if they chose to.

The bigger European club sides do tend to circle the wagons if UEFA locks horns with any of them, but I doubt anyone would be jumping to Chelsea's defence on something like this... no other club would want to be associated with or dragged into this.

I don't think there's much chance of them getting the boot, but UEFA have a pain in the their tits with Chelsea on a number of levels. And this poor guy is now the 2nd ref to receive death threats from Chelsea fans after Anders Frisk that time. That'll probably be the end of him refereeing and another of the most experienced referee's who'll be lost to the game. What ref will want to referee a Chelsea game next year if that's the possible price and they get away with it???

I've a friend living in Norway, and their TV networks have had blanket coverage on this story all day. So it's a pretty big deal...

UEFA have a responsibility to protect and maintain the sports name and image, aswell as their officials. Be it through Drogba's cheating + his, Ballack's and Terrys behaviour towards the referee, and now fans death threats, UEFA are gonna have to stand up to Chelsea at some stage.

UEFA kicked Porto out of the CL for match fixing, so it has been done before.

I'd suspect though that even if they were to be booted out, the punishment would be reduced on appeal.

Exactly, Porto subsequently made it to the Quarter Finals. Pretty good for a side who were kicked out.

Aston Villa manager Martin O'Neill is sweating over the fitness of defender Carlos Cuellar (flu).

Ashley Young and midfielder Stiliyan Petrov, both limped out of Monday's 1-0 win over Hull and face late checks.

Aston Villa (from): Friedel, L Young, Davies, Knight, Cuellar, Shorey, Milner, Barry, Petrov, A Young, Gardner, Reo-Coker, Agbonlahor, Carew, Heskey, Guzan, Sidwell, Delfouneso, Clark.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport2/hi/football/eng_prem/8023048.stm

I'm going for 1-1 or 2-2 in this one, Fulham are hard to beat and not been a happy hunting ground over past few years. I imagine the A. Young will play but perhaps a run out for NRC or Sidders in MF?

FULHAM v ASTON VILLA LINE-UPS
    Fulham: Schwarzer, Pantsil, Hughes, Hangeland, Konchesky, Gera, Murphy, Etuhu, Dempsey, Kamara, Nevland.
    Subs: Zuberbuhler, Zamora, Dacourt, Gray, Stoor, Baird, Smalling.
    Aston Villa: Friedel, Luke Young, Knight, Davies, Shorey, Milner, Petrov, Barry, Ashley Young, Carew, Agbonlahor.
    Subs: Guzan, Sidwell, Delfouneso, Heskey, Reo-Coker, Gardner, Clark.
    Referee: Mark Halsey (Lancashire)

Any bloody streams please?

this works with giant DEMO across it.

http://atdhe.net/6918/watch-fulham-vs-aston-villa

1 down. Penalty.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,420 ✭✭✭Doodee

I got to get a coffee and they score 2 :(

What is wrong with us!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 39,014 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

I just read your sig Helix. I think thats very sad. How long is it since Villa were up at the top end of the table and O'Neill comes in and has an immediate impact and you say he is overrated. Very sad imo. A bit of realism required. Alex Ferguson took 6 years to put a League winning team together.

The usual woeful defending & lack of puff in midfield, i don't think the excuse of European qualification is enough, Villa are just poor.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,372 ✭✭✭✭Mr Alan

eagle eye wrote: »
    I just read your sig Helix. I think thats very sad. How long is it since Villa were up at the top end of the table and O'Neill comes in and has an immediate impact and you say he is overrated. Very sad imo. A bit of realism required. Alex Ferguson took 6 years to put a League winning team together.

in fairness to Helix, he held those exact same beliefs when AV were still going good in the league.

I think fatigue is the main problem, coupled with a lack of motivation to fight for anything.
    It's disappointing but our season ended Monday when we sealed Europe.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,246 ✭✭✭Esse85

JPA wrote: »
    I think fatigue is the main problem, coupled with a lack of motivation to fight for anything.
    It's disappointing but our season ended Monday when we sealed Europe.
    And who's fault is that only the managers.

Last 11 league games

Played 11
    Won 1
    Drew 4
    Lost 5
    for 11
    against 23
    gd-12
    Pts7

I know its easy to knock him but Heskey was desperate & ineffectual when he came on yet again, surely the Fonz is more worthy of a run out when Villa are down and out and the season is at an end.

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 9,648 Mod ✭✭✭✭mayordenis

Tactically I like Mon, but I agree with Helix on this one overrated wise, the squad management just hasn't been done correctly.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,246 ✭✭✭Esse85

mayordenis wrote: »
    Tactically I like Mon, but I agree with Helix on this one overrated wise, the squad management just hasn't been done correctly.
    Tatically he hasnt a a clue, how can you be serious?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,518 ✭✭✭matrim

at least everton only drew

Well its only Boro & Newcastle left, although they both beat Villa this season and will be fighting to stay up. Here's hoping we can profit from their misery to cheer us up.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,323 ✭✭✭Savman

Ok, WTF? :mad:

Just got in and seen the result, first time in a long time I have lol'd at how pathetic we are. I hear Shorey is as good as gone for mouthing at the bench when subbed?

In my mind, the end of the season will be met with relief and terror in equal measure. Relief that our wimpy team can't embarrass themselves any further, and terror at what state the squad will be in come 1st September.:eek:

Ah, comfy here in the doldrums innit?

• Advertisement

Look, we at Villa haven't been a successful team in a long long time.
    We were a relegation candidates before MON came in. He has his flaws, big ones.
    But here we are in fifth place.

We need to have realistic expectations. Now I prepare for this post to be torn apart and countered with "we were 8 points clear in fourth, we should have strengthened in January etc" and those posts have their merit but Villa last finished fourth in 1996 and now it's even harder.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement