Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Aston Villa Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,793 ✭✭✭✭JPA

Id be pleased with Vermaelen siging he looks quality and might be mates with Defour who had been linked previously and we could get a belgian duo to replace Barry & laursen. The Sebastian Delph rumour seems strong again since O'Neil was spotted at a recent enough Leeds game.

I know very little about either but at the same time they seem highly rated, by the media at least.

I would also like to see us sign Delph or/and James McCarthy for the future.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,661 ✭✭✭✭Helix

JPA wrote: »
    That's just silly.

Strong enough rumours that Thomas Vermaelen from Ajax will sign.

re barry: absolutely. that bloke deserves a testimonial far more than laursen, regardless of how good marty was in his 91 games

and yeh the dutch guys on vt seem to think its a done deal for vermaelen

they also say hes pretty dodgy tho

JPA wrote: »
    I would also like to see us sign Delph

apparently thats as good as done too

someone on the staff was mouthing about it at the poty dinner

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,219 ✭✭✭invincibleirish

Boro has been a happy hunting ground over the years for Villa. But today they're in the last chance saloon and Villa are on their holidays.

Draw.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,246 ✭✭✭Esse85

VILLA: Friedel; Milner, Davies, Cuellar, Shorey; Agbonlahor, Barry, Petrov, A Young; Heskey, Carew.
    Subs: Sidwell, Guzan, Gardner, Clark, Reo-Coker, Knight, Delfouneso.

Looks like Milner at RB and Gabby RM

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 929 ✭✭✭sternn

link to the game anyone?

never mind found one... http://www.iraqgoals.net/ch1.html

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,518 ✭✭✭matrim

Milner's playing RB?

Its hardly a surprise with MON is in charge!

• Advertisement

Class goal by Tuncay, more of the same from Villa it seems....

Gabbys effort before that was awful, a pass back to the keeper.

matrim wrote: »
    Milner's playing RB?

sure where else would you play a right sided midfielder

Are the streams down for anyone else?

yes just now. stream is gone

Stream working again on Iraqgoals

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,924 ✭✭✭shoutman

streams back up, and irony is the lowest form of wit.

Villa are brutal, would love to see 4-5-1 being played, what defensive subs do we have, or bring on reo coker for right back and push milner into midfield.

shoutman wrote: »
    irony is the lowest form of wit.

nah, thatd be sarcasm

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,951 ✭✭✭DSB

This game is starting to weaken my defence of Martin O' Neill. What is he at?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,016 ✭✭✭mirwillbeback

Everton look like going ahead of us. 1 win since February. How long are we going to accept this mediocrity.

****ing useless heap of **** Emile Heskey

Everton look like going ahead of us. 1 win since February. How long are we going to accept this mediocrity.

i stopped accepting it ages ago, but every time i mention it im told we have one of the best managers in the world so it must be part of the plan or something

some half time reading

http://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/columnists/reade/2009/05/16/how-does-o-neill-always-slip-under-the-radar-when-brown-stuff-hits-the-115875-21363262/

Of course the Mirror does have an anti MON agenda over last summer, but still its food for thought.

Helix wrote: »
    i stopped accepting it ages ago, but every time i mention it im told we have one of the best managers in the world so it must be part of the plan or something

i know mate, as soon as you suggest we should be on his case everyone gets up in arms. i wonder if we'd started the season how we finished it, i bet everyone would have been saying O Neill out in October.

in the 3 months that we've only won 1 game, MON continues to play players out of position despite their shortcomings being obvious.

fed up with it.

We just don't seem to care anymore.

We need to make a change at half time and bring on someone who will put some fire under the team.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13,249 ✭✭✭✭Kinetic^

Haangeland, we need you!

its a joke

it was a joke 3 years ago when he was at it, but he had an excuse now. at this stage hes had enough transfer windows to sort out the squad depth and he still hasnt managed it. in the runup to every window we hear we're definitely going to strengthen, then as soon as the window opens he issues a press release every 3 days saying its hard to get the players you need in and he'll try his best

it gets a bit tedius, especially when you know you neeed defensive cover and your only january signing is emile bloody heskey

but we'll see what happens in the summer and ultimately next season

if he continues playing people out of position, and buying in players who dont work, then he wont be our manager the following year. while lerner will back his manager to the hilt, he knows how to be ruthless and if he decides mon is wasting his money, he'll be thanked for his hard work and let go

the question is, with a squad so full of average mon signings, who in the bloody hell could possibly come in and get them performing. thats the problem with a manager who gets the best out of average players... he signs average players and gets the best out of them, but without him theyre just average players playing poorly

We need to make a change at half time and bring on someone who will put some fire under the team.

or

we could bring them into the changing room at half time and ACTUALLY light a fire under them

No one is saying that MON doesn't deserve critisicm, I think some of his tactical decisions have been poor as have a good few of his transfer decisions.

I don't think he is the best manager in England nor have I ever said that I did, but I still say that he is as good as if not better then any other manager that Villa could have at present.
    I don't think Avram Grant could of turned Villa into a top six side the way MON has and I don't think that he or Sven would be able to push villa on without us seeing a mass clearout of the vast majority of the squad. Some people would like this to happen but I still think we give MON his five years (barring disaster next season) and readjust from there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,951 ✭✭✭DSB

I don't want MON to get sacked or anything, nor do I think he deserves to be, but I don't think I'd be upset anymore if he walked away. His flaws are glaring and I'm becoming increasingly worried that he can't do anything about them.

• Advertisement

DSB wrote: »
    I'm becoming increasingly worried that he can't do anything about them.

i dunno if its a case that he cant, or that he wont because hes too stubborn

I wouldn't be crying if MON walked away either, I would be worried about who are next manager would be. I absolutely don't want the managerial roundabout returning at Villa Park.

Can we try and not turn this into another MON bashing \ defending session (at least until after the match).

I think we've all agreed by now that he's done things wrong but should get another season to try and straighten things out

I think we've all agreed by now that he's done things wrong but should get another season to try and straighten things out

oh aye definitely, but next season has to be last chance saloon

I don't think he is the best manager in England nor have I ever said that I did, but I still say that he is as good as if not better then any other manager that Villa could have at present

So we put up with him because a manager who has 4 points from 12 matches ( estimate ) is the best we can have?

Why could we not attract a big manager, or even one who will just do a good job. We are capable of being one of very few challengers to the big 4, with supposedly a great chairman who doesn't interfere, who will back the manager with money once asked - who wouldn't be attracted to it? Ireland got one of the best managers in the world once the wages were paid, so if you are willing to pay top dollar it isn't impossible.

It's this small club attitude that has us glad to be where we are, changing the goalposts to be happy we got to top 6 despite the fact we could, nay should have cracked the top four this season, and because of the utter stubborness, and in some positional cases outright stupidity of the manager we f*cking blew it.

At the top level small mistakes can be tolerated, but a mistake that sees us have relagation form for the last 1/3 of season should not be.

Everton have gone ahead, supposedly West Ham should never of been reduced to ten man.

Come on Villa!

go on carew

Get the fook in!

Sweet finish.

Why aren't we bombing forward when we have the feckin ball ugh.

edit: how did we not score there.
    We had so many chances to win that game.

• Advertisement

Why aren't we bombing forward when we have the feckin ball ugh.

edit: how did we not score there.
    We had so many chances to win that game.

Feck, we should have relegated them.

We really should have won that. It was a good second half by us.

It now looks like we're going to be 6th :(

Way better in the second half and should have won. Losing Ash with 20 mins to go blunted us going forward. Down in sixth now and thats where we'll stay i reckon.

I'll wait til the end of the season before we talk transfers but Heskey is useless, awful and is a passenger most of the time, get rid of in summer!.

Heskey hasn't done anything during his time at Villa to make him any friends.

I don't think sixth is a certainty yet, Everton have Fulham next and we have Newcastle...

youre surely not suggesting we're going to actually win a game at home??

:P

nah, hopefully we can send those toon feckers where they belong on sunday

just looking at the table, we can only equal last seasons points tally. thats a massive step backwards considering the premiership was pretty poor this season, and the money we spent in the summer

Its the end of the season clearly the players needed a half time bollocking to start putting some moves together. Boro are poor, very very poor, but then so are Villa. its a wonder it took Everton so long to snatch 5th place properly.

Attention is on the summer, its clear to everyone connected to Villa this squad is lacking. Over to you Lerner & MON.

The attitude of the players is sickening, they just dont seem to want to fight, fcuking @ssholes think their on holidays since March.

MON is a disaster too, how can he start the club's record signing at RB, was it to accommodate that useless clown Heskey. If MON was in any other business he'd be sacked (Im not saying he should be sacked), from the resources he's had, the results are woeful. He's so out of his dept its not funny.

I honestly think that if Harry Redknapp/Sven Goran Ericsson/Martin Jol had of taken over when MON did, then they all would of equalled or bettered MON's efforts.

The squad is in a right mess, defense is rubbish after all the money spent on it, no cover on the wings, without Carew no striker with any threat, with Laursen retired and Barry leaving and Bouma will probably never return to be the same player, that leaves an average squad of over priced players.

Too true Esse85, with the squad there now minus Barry & Laursen this team will struggle next season. Look at the results since Xmas; beat WBA, Hull, Portsmouth, Sunderland & Blackburn, thats it. We have to forget about the top 4 flirtation Because as Helix pointed out the PL was poor this season, next season mid table is most likely without investment and a bit of cop on from MON.

Anyone know anything about this Vermaelen chap? all i know is Ajax have had a pretty poor season by their standards so is he any great shakes. FM heads what do ye know?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,879 Mod ✭✭✭✭Bounty Hunter

he's always been highly rated on FM but is still young and plays in Holland aswell as international football with Belgium so often people arent sure if hes just good for his standard. Although there is the odd nay sayer he is very highly rated at AJax and iirc is only 23. He is also naturally a left footer and would be expected to partner either Davies/Cuellar should he join Villa which some seem to think is a certainty.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement