Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Aston Villa Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,154 ✭✭✭✭Neil3030

Ollie and Cuellar could be the surprise centre-half pairing of the PL next year. Getting him in early and letting them get to know each other in preseason is key though. Don't want a teething period lasting until Christmas....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,661 ✭✭✭✭Helix

mon said he doesnt know anything about the links to ollie over on the os

So... we've a director of football now? :o

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,793 ✭✭✭✭JPA

Neil3030 wrote: »
    So... we've a director of football now? :o

Ya, Bill Howell.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 657 ✭✭✭tomred1

Seems that O'Neill would liketo hold on to Barry for another season and let him go for free see link:
    http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/sport/football/premier_league/aston_villa/article6330191.ece

Helix wrote: »
    its just a fan made one based on the website for the jersey, he actually fixed it up a little bit again to tie it in more with the website. ill be amazed if this isnt pretty damn close to how it looks come the unveiling on sunday:

avfcaw1.jpg

This Jersey remind of the UNited one from years ago.The one they changed at half time against Southampton.

tomred1 wrote: »
    This Jersey remind of the UNited one from years ago.The one they changed at half time against Southampton.

looks nothing like it :confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,951 ✭✭✭DSB

Seems that O'Neill would liketo hold on to Barry for another season and let him go for free see link:
    http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/sport/football/premier_league/aston_villa/article6330191.ece

To be honest I wouldn't blame him. If he was gonna cash in, it should have been last season. Only worth selling now if he thinks he can bring in someone else who can do just as good a job.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 845 ✭✭✭V1llianous

Villa beat Sunderland 3 - 1 at Villa Park to win the overall Barclays Reserve Premier League title. They had already clinched the Southern titile (like last year - but then they failed in the North vs South final against Liverpool).

Well done lads.

:D:D:D:D

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,879 Mod ✭✭✭✭Bounty Hunter

great to see the reserves doing so well again.

I know you want more but Harewood out, this guy in is what i see happening to our forwards this Summer
    Premier League clubs on alert after Manchester City confirm Sturridge is leaving

Chelsea, Aston Villa and Blackburn have been alerted to news that Daniel Sturridge will leave Manchester City.

Talks over a new contract for Sturridge, who becomes a free agent next month, stalled months ago and Hughes can see no compromise in the pipeline.

Hughes said: 'We put in another offer but that was declined so we won't be going back.

We've not got much headroom to negotiate and I'm disappointed.'

Hughes, meanwhile, is confident an agreement will be reached with Stephen Ireland in the coming weeks and he added: 'The decision making is getting positive.

'We want to get it done and dusted and give Stephen the assurance going into the new season that everything is sorted. We've recognised the progress he has made this season and would like to reward him for that.'

Shaun Wright-Phillips will miss England's World Cup qualifiers against Andorra and Kazakhstan next month after being told he needs a routine knee operation.

• Advertisement

sturridge is a villa fan, and hes knocked back every offer city have made since we made out interest known... ill be amazed if hes not a villa player come august

• Registered Users Posts: 857 ✭✭✭wynters

WOW! Now that IS interesting news... Get Lescott in while we're at it!!! :)

Petrov made some interesting comments after signing his new deal. "Once I heard the plans and seen the ambition it was never really in doubt". Good signs.

Just hope we make a few signings soon instead of this last week of August nonsense that's been goin on for the past few summers

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,535 ✭✭✭Raekwon

I see Mark Hughes wants John Carew at Man City next season.

Link

Hopefully City will see sense and give Hughes his P45 ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,219 ✭✭✭invincibleirish

No chance Carew is going to City, unless the club & MON actually does want to antagonise the fans. Carew signed a new contract last summer, has the love from the Holte, loves life at the Villa and is our undisputed no.1 Striker.
    "I'm very happy here," he said. "I'm proud to be part of the club because there's great ambition and I'm sure we have a great future. That's why I signed a new contract. I love the club. I love the fans and we have a great group of players.

"Football in this country suits me very well. It's a very quick game, which I really like. I think I've found the right football country. I would like to finish my career here. I'm not thinking of going anywhere else."

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/football/leagues/premierleague/astonvilla/3525660/Aston-Villa-striker-John-Carew-happy-to-see-out-career-in-the-Midlands-Football.html

Carew is far too sensible a signing, City will probably end up with someone like Ronaldinho.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,299 ✭✭✭villains77

Just hope we make a few signings soon instead of this last week of August nonsense that's been goin on for the past few summers[/quote]

here here . hope we at least get a few good quality players this season before we have to wait till the last week of the tranfer window like past seasons, still hoping for a good win tmrrw ad fulham to win toi get 5th spot. if we dont get 5th sport it was still a great season and we are ahead of the 5 yr plan so far so good. still we have to get a few good signings for the next season and get rid of the dead wood imo harewood heskey for starters. would like to see shorey get another season ( to those that doubt me we are entitled to our opinions. and he impressed me a lot that night agaisnt cska moscow well for somebod that has stared off s****e so far to play the way he did against a good european side fair enough you prob think he is still crap but in all fairness now he wasnt given a good chance to prove himself from the start of the season but he has come good in a few end of season games. lets hope he brings that into next year.

COME ON THE VILLA !!!!!!!

All over the press today that Arsenal are supposed to be after this Vermalen guy now aswell...

The new away kit is lovely. Shorts are great. Nike are a safe pair of hands when it comes to kit design. Nice n'simple. Never anything too outrageous (like that green and black muller kit... dreadful)

I must agree with Wynters I love the Jersey - I really liked this season's away but prefer this one. Here it is:

villaaway.jpg

Yeah i like it its tastefully done.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,924 ✭✭✭shoutman

It's not bad, I prefer this years blue away one, I wouldn't buy it

• Advertisement

Not a bad lookin jersey at all.

It's a nice enough jersey, reminded me of the US national team strip when I first seen it.

Link

shoutman wrote: »
    It's not bad, I prefer this years blue away one, I wouldn't buy it

We're keeping it as the third kit for next year which is good news considering most of our recent kits change each year.

Well that was that then 2008-09 is over, 6th seems about right i suppose. Satisfying as it was relegating Newcastle its still scant consolation for what was a thrilling few months followed by the predictable hard crash to earth.

Can't wait for 09-10 to start.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,246 ✭✭✭Esse85

Well that was that then 2008-09 is over, 6th seems about right i suppose. Satisfying as it was relegating Newcastle its still scant consolation for what was a thrilling few months followed by the predictable hard crash to earth.

Can't wait for 09-10 to start.
    I could do with the break.

Although an early exciting signing might change my opinion!

I'd of taken sixth at the start of the season, but obviously I am not happy that we finished the way we did.

That said I fully expect us to be starting next season with a stronger squad pushing to once again beat last seasons points tally/ finishing position.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,016 ✭✭✭mirwillbeback

shoutman wrote: »
    I'd of taken sixth at the start of the season, but obviously I am not happy that we finished the way we did.

That said I fully expect us to be starting next season with a stronger squad pushing to once again beat last seasons points tally/ finishing position.

We finished 3rd in a two horse race for the Champs League.:(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,323 ✭✭✭Savman

2009: The Missed Opportunity. No matter what way you look at it tbh.
    *sigh*

Like anyone else I would have taken 6th at the start of the season but I can't shake the 'what if' question that keeps popping into my head. The UEFA Cup exit hangover and subsequent freefall was the worst part of MON's Villa reign to date. Hopefully he has leant alot about his side and will finally do something to strengthen the depth.

Im surprised people would of accepted 6th.

I wanted what Everton got, 5th and a decent run in the cup.

No league improvement or cup run after spending a sh1t load of money is disappointing.

The uncertainty of the team/squad for next season is all up in the clouds too.

Yeah a cup run would have been great but sure what can you do? we lost fair & square to Everton in the FA Cup & weakened teams were played against QPR & CSKA in the other cups, the league was always the priority after such a great run.

Then Emile Heskey joined & Laursens injury worsened.....

• Advertisement

we played awful football almost exclusively this season

that needs to be addressed, because when we play hoofball we dont hold onto possession enough, and the opposition punish us. we are a team capable of playing fast, flowing football along the deck as we've occasionally shown this season, and thats how we need to play next year if we want to progress any further

I agree Helix, desperate sh1t at times but i really dont think that'll improve next season do you?
    The players have the potential to play the passing game, keep the ball, be patient, but the manager instructs them on the style of football they should play, i cant see MON changing his way. He's a results first kinda guy, nothing wrong with that in some cases, it's just his style, and a style i feel wont be good enough to ever gain a top 4 place.

Need a new captain & leader, when going got tough during certain points of the season players went missing on the pitch and the backline got nervous all too easily minus Laursen.

Esse85 wrote: »
    I agree Helix, desperate sh1t at times but i really dont think that'll improve next season do you?

in the last 6 games of last season we played absolutely breathtaking football, then for some reason went back into the nonsense this year. i dont think it'll change, but it depends entirely on our signings. i think we'll know before the season kicks off what sort of football we'll be playing next year

its horribly annoying though, because IF we played decent stuff we'd be in with a great shout of pushing on

See the Newcastle fans drowned-out Laursens pre-match farewell speech with boos. Would have been happy enough to see them go down in the first place, but after this behaviour I'm fckn delighted we sent them down... got what they deserve.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UgVKiEFauvU

I amazed by the few people who would have taken 6th at the start of this season.I was expecting at least 5th.We have actually gone backwards imo.The big let down was the defence this season, we spent alot of money on it (freidal L.Young,Ceullar,Shorey)and it was worse than last year. I think if we buy top players in each position of CB,CM and ST and keep our current squad we can make a substanied challenge next season.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,391 ✭✭✭One Cold Hand

The big one for me at the minute is whether Barry stays or goes.
    The last thing we need is a saga like last summers hanging over all summer, then Barry leaving at the last minute, would be a big disruption to the squad.
    I don't know would buy him. I think Alonso had a good season, so don't think Liverpool will be too quick to get rid of him. Can't see Arsenal spending the cash. United don't need him.

I'd love O'Neill to keep Barry and work on a 4-5-1 formation, this would require a good attacking midfielder:

----Petrov---Barry
    -Milner---??????---Young-
    Carew

I reckon this was when we played our most effective football this season. I think it would suit Barry's play best, I don't think he's that good going forward.
    Gabby could be used from the bench. Heskey would ideally not be used at all.

The big let down was the defence this season, we spent alot of money on it (freidal L.Young,Ceullar,Shorey)and it was worse than last year.

We actually conceded 3 fewer goals this season than last season.

V1llianous wrote: »
    We actually conceded 3 fewer goals this season than last season.

Ok maybe it was the same but i think this is the area we need to improve along with our ball retention for next season.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,420 ✭✭✭Doodee

Think we'd have a chance at pinching Valencia from wigs?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,074 ✭✭✭rgiller

Doodee wrote: »
    Think we'd have a chance at pinching Valencia from wigs?

No. Isn't he off to United?

The big one for me at the minute is whether Barry stays or goes.

we wont improve football wise if barry stays coz mon will continue to play him and petrov in the center which really, really doesnt help us in terms of creativity

wynters wrote: »
    See the Newcastle fans drowned-out Laursens pre-match farewell speech with boos. Would have been happy enough to see them go down in the first place, but after this behaviour I'm fckn delighted we sent them down... got what they deserve.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UgVKiEFauvU

they were a disgrace

absolutely shocking carry on, yet another reason to hate them

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,372 ✭✭✭✭Mr Alan

why did they boo him?

thats really shocking.

first signing of the close-season
    Arsenal midfielder Samir Carruthers has completed his move to Aston Villa following a successful trial, Jeorge Bird’s Arsenal Youth can reveal.

The tricky winger, who is of Morrocan descent, was offered scholarship terms by Arsenal but rejected the club at which he first came to prominence in favour of the Midlands outfit who boast one of the strongest academies in the country.

Carruthers had previously been on trial at Fulham but opted against a move across London because he felt that he would not receive sufficient game time there. He subsequently returned to Arsenal before Villa contacted Liam Brady with an enquiry and invited Samir to train with their under-18s.

He impressed during his 3-day trial and was given a free tour of Villa Park as well as seats in an executive box to watch the final game of the season against Newcastle yesterday.

Samir made his final appearance in an Arsenal shirt at Emirates Stadium this morning during the u-16s’ 4-1 victory over Chelsea. He leaves with the best wishes of his team-mates and the seal of approval from Brady and Steve Gatting.

Carruthers made a solitary appearance for the u-18s, during the 1-0 victory over Watford in March. He certainly has a bright future ahead of him and might one day regret his decision to leave the Gunners at the tender age of 16.

Curtis Davies opining
    "He is that good a player. Unfortunately this season, just as he started to hit form, he got injured again and hasn't managed to put a run of games together.

"I'd love to see him here at Villa if that was an opportunity, although at the same time there will be other clubs sniffing around him.

"People will say about his wages but, if you are getting him on a free transfer, it offsets that.

"If we are ever in the running for a player like that, it will show the progression of this club and hopefully we can get someone like that."

http://www.football365.com/story/0,17033,8652_5348032,00.html

Who is he talking about? why Michael Owen of course, i say no. Heskey-Owen might have done the business for 5 minutes 8 years ago but thats not whats needed he's crocked.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,793 ✭✭✭✭JPA

Curtis Davies opining

http://www.football365.com/story/0,17033,8652_5348032,00.html

Who is he talking about? why Michael Owen of course, i say no. Heskey-Owen might have done the business for 5 minutes 8 years ago but thats not whats needed he's crocked.

Why is he even talking about it?

Anyway, Owen seems to have lost it big time. I'd like him in a way as you hope he could get his form back as he's still got some years left. (going by normal footballer retirement)
    But he's so injury prone that instead of having say 4 strikers, you need 5.

Ibrahim Sonko is supposedly on our radar, Villa scouts were at the stoke game.

jesus christ

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,323 ✭✭✭Savman

Just glancing Sky Sports direction I see Sturridge is pretty much gone from City, free transfer but something about compensation has to be paid with Villa and Chelsea in the mix. Do not think Chelsea would be a good move for someone only 19yo, esp with MON's track record for young English prospects it has to be an attractive move for the player.

Here's a funny one...Cisse. Sunderland have decided not to take him on permanently and at the end of the day, he's a relatively experienced Striker only 27yo. Not worth £10m, but surely the kind of squad player we need? A slightly better version of Heskey? Thoughts?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement