Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Aston Villa Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,342 ✭✭✭✭That_Guy

Mr Alan wrote: »
    thats really shocking.

So Villa fans can sing "Cheer up Alan Shearer" but we can't boo anyone no?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,661 ✭✭✭✭Helix

That_Guy wrote: »
    So Villa fans can sing "Cheer up Alan Shearer" but we can't boo anyone no?

not when its a teams club captain addressing his home fans for the final time after retiring no

thats absolutely pathetic, disgusting behaviour

Savman wrote: »
    Just glancing Sky Sports direction I see Sturridge is pretty much gone from City, free transfer but something about compensation has to be paid with Villa and Chelsea in the mix. Do not think Chelsea would be a good move for someone only 19yo, esp with MON's track record for young English prospects it has to be an attractive move for the player.

Here's a funny one...Cisse. Sunderland have decided not to take him on permanently and at the end of the day, he's a relatively experienced Striker only 27yo. Not worth £10m, but surely the kind of squad player we need? A slightly better version of Heskey? Thoughts?

in todays market £10m is a decent price for cisse imo

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,323 ✭✭✭Savman

Helix wrote: »
    in todays market £10m is a decent price for cisse imo
    He may not be the superstar signing most would expect/demand, but we're not getting those while outside the CL, cold hard truth lads.

We clearly don't have enough firepower to last a 60 odd game season and O'Neill likes these fellas with a point to prove. PL experience too.

defo, hed be worth the punt anyway... assuming his attitude is ok

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,154 ✭✭✭✭Neil3030

I'd take young Carroll from toon. He could certainly learn his trade from Big John.

Neil3030 wrote: »
    I'd take young Carroll from toon. He could certainly learn his trade from Big John.

would there be all that much point with the fonz and sturridge (assuming we get him) there as the prospects?

I haven't seen much of this Sturridge feller, but if he's got the potential everyone keeps making out then I would fully expect MON to be already on the chase.
    He'd be linking up with his U21 buddies at a club competing in Europe with a core of English players. The Barry deal shows Randy's intent to compete on the wages front, so there's really no reason why this could or should not materialise. A very realistic proposition IMHO.

Unless MON didn't want him, and has some other gems up his sleeve :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,154 ✭✭✭✭Neil3030

I admit I don't know a whole lot about Sturridge. How tall is he? Carroll is 6"3 and looks really solid in the air from what I've seen of him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,342 ✭✭✭✭That_Guy

Neil3030 wrote: »
    I admit I don't know a whole lot about Sturridge. How tall is he? Carroll is 6"3 and looks really solid in the air from what I've seen of him.

I wouldn't say Carroll will leave us to be honest. He's a local lad and will want to help his local club to get back up.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,299 ✭✭✭villains77

just saw the you tube video wasnt impressed by the toon army. they deserved to go down for that kind of behaviour. feel sorry for duffer after scoring the goal. i would agree with a few posts here owen was a good player a few years back but he is so prone to injury that he would be a waste to get him. as fro cisse he has the quality to be a team player but would oneill go for him. would like to see sturridge at the villa. it be a better move for him then chelsea. another 81 days for the season to start thank god for the eircom league and my junior league(GAA) to keep me busy for a few months at least. whats this new player that we signed today any info on him. hope mons kept busy with the close season transfers fingers crossed for a quality squad next year . up the villa

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,246 ✭✭✭Esse85

Cisse is not the kind of player we should be after, not much difference between him and Gabby, id rather Martins to be honest.
    Both miss sitters and both run around like headless chickens.

As for Sturridge, I know nothing about him, why wasnt he getting in the Man City team?

What are his strengths/weaknesses?

I wish this Barry saga would just end one way or another, it doesnt help with all the uncertainty over Alonso's future either.
    Personally I think Liverpool would be mad to sell him and replace him with Barry if thats the plan. This season Alonso has been far superior to Barry.

I see Spuds have to sell some players first before they can buy. I think Bent+Bentley would improve the team/squad.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,793 ✭✭✭✭JPA

Andy Carroll?
    Holy ****, that would be scraping the barrel.

JPA wrote: »
    Andy Carroll?
    Holy ****, that would be scraping the barrel.
    Not a hope in hell will it happen.

Neil that really is a poor shout.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,535 ✭✭✭Raekwon

jesus christ

Would be the ultimate signing............but he would be too high profile for MON :D

Raekwon wrote: »
    Would be the ultimate signing............but he would be too high profile for MON :D

imagine the joy on the face of any attacker coming up against knight and sonko

That went over your head. :D

And the joy of any defender coming up against Heskey + Carroll

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,518 ✭✭✭matrim

I'm not too sure about Sturridge from the little I've seen of him he does look to have potential but the reports I've read are saying he's looking for £40000 pw from City. Maybe that's just because he isn't expecting to be playing there but that might be a bit too much of a wage if he's looking for that from us too.

Everyone seems to be looking at Newcastle for players and to be honest I hope MON steers well clear of that lot! The only player worth taking from The Toon would be Steven Taylor but I think they would like to keep him at the club.

I agree with Helix about the Barry situation. I am 99.9% sure he will leave this summer (£10m to Liverpool?) and it actually might be a good thing for Villa as we need more attacking options in midfield and Barry's departure will be the perfect excuse to address this (although MON might have other ideas :rolleyes:). A player like Sulley Muntari or Niko Kranjcar would be ideal IMO.

I also don't think Cisse is what we need. He is a decent enough striker but is too similar to Gabby in many of regards. I think MON should go for a more mobile, tactically aware striker the likes of Zarate of Saviola (not those exact players but someone similar). River Plate's Radamel Falcao could fill that role and has been linked to Villa in the past, but then again he is not English or proven in the Premiership so would most like be too much of a risk in the eyes of a certain Mr Martin O'Neill.

Defensively I'd like to see us get another rightback because I am sick to death of seeing Reo-Coker, Gardner & Milner back there. Glen Johnson would be perfect but I think Liverpool are eyeing him up so that seems like a no go. Centrally Laursen has left an abyss of a hole with his departure so MON would really need to go for player like Hangeland or Branislav Ivanovic (from Chelsea).

One thing is for sure, we have another rollercoaster summer of wheeling and dealing to look forward too :D

• Advertisement

JPA wrote: »
    That went over your head. :D

Way over his head :D

matrim wrote: »
    I'm not too sure about Sturridge from the little I've seen of him he does look to have potential but the reports I've read are saying he's looking for £40000 pw from City. Maybe that's just because he isn't expecting to be playing there but that might be a bit too much of a wage if he's looking for that from us too.

he wasnt looking for anything from city, he was just knocking back any offer coz he wanted to leave

Martin O'Neill is ready to launch his summer spending with a £5million bid for Roland Juhasz after making a personal check on the giant Hungary defender.

The Aston Villa manager received encouraging reports about Juhasz and decided to see for himself in Anderlecht's Belgian Jupiler League title play-off against Standard Liege, after the two fierce rivals finished the campaign tied at the top.
    Juhasz

O'Neill was at a packed Maurice Dufrasne Stadium last Thursday to see Juhasz give another assured performance as the teams fought out a 1-1 draw, Standard going on to be crowned champions with a 1-0 win in the return leg on Sunday.

Though also linked with Standard's midfielder and skipper Steven Defour and their American defender Oguchi Onyewu, a free agent this summer, it is understood 6ft 4in centre-back Juhasz was the player under review.

The 25-year old has been capped 44 times and has steadily increased in stature since making his Anderlecht debut in a Champions League tie against Chelsea nearly four years ago.

Signed from his home club MTK, he was voted his country's outstanding player in a poll conducted by the Hungarian Federation at the end of last year and would cost at least £5million.

But with Martin Laursen forced to retire through injury earlier this month, O'Neill needs a commanding figure at the back and is ready to tempt Anderlecht with a bid.

and it seems arsenal let us have the wrong samir...

b65dca028b.jpg

hes the bloody spit of nasri

Way over his head :D

still no idea what its about either:confused:

still no idea what its about either:confused:

Jesus Christ would be the ultimate signing for Villa, but MON wouldn't want to work with someone so high profile.

Ah, it really takes the wind out of a joke when you have to explain it :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,518 ✭✭✭matrim

he wasnt looking for anything from city, he was just knocking back any offer coz he wanted to leave

From http://www.teamtalk.com/football/story/0,16368,1777_5348094,00.html
    The Academy product is believed to be pushing for a £40,000-a-week package after scoring six goals from 32 senior appearances, which have included 12 starts.

Again it could be nothing and he may have left anyway, but most of the stories I've read say something similar

Jesus Christ would be the ultimate signing for Villa, but MON wouldn't want to work with someone so high profile.

Ah, it really takes the wind out of a joke when you have to explain it :(

oh

sorry, i thought it was something funny i had missed

matrim wrote: »
    From http://www.teamtalk.com/football/story/0,16368,1777_5348094,00.html

Again it could be nothing and he may have left anyway, but most of the stories I've read say something similar

hes been knocking back offers since the start of the season, its been the worst kept secret in football that hes off in the summer. hed be mad in the head to stay there and he knows it

oh

sorry, i thought it was something funny i had missed

It was ;)

• Advertisement

Muntari, although a good player, will not break into the box, he's more a DM and not really what we need to replace Barry, considering he'll play alongside Petrov.

A clever striker like Zarate would be great.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,219 ✭✭✭invincibleirish

I suppose you lot already have read about Lerner discussing the GB saga, but here it is for those who haven't.
    "We have discussed a new contract with Gareth" said Lerner. "I would give Barry the highest ranking possible. He is the best. He is a gentleman, a great player, a pleasure to be around, a leader, a great captain.

"I don't think anyone could do better than Gareth on any level. Am I optimistic Gareth will stay? Yes, I am optimistic. It is my nature.

"He is currently really speaking to Martin O'Neill and that is the natural process. They will get into it and it will all get handled in the normal ways.

"Am I happy for him to wind down his current contract? That's his decision. If it means he is staying another year, I am absolutely happy.

"Even though Villa would lose £10-£12m? Yes, absolutely. You are talking about a player who is an integral part of your potential success.

"That is in terms of playing more games to winning competitions etc. That is similarly lucrative [to a transfer fee this summer] when you think about what you can achieve with a player like that.

"It is not like you forego the proceeds and you are getting nothing back.

"You are keeping him on the team, the team continues to compete and you are rewarded with successful results. There is more to do it than foregoing money."

http://www.guardian.co.uk/football/2009/may/26/randy-lerner-gareth-barry-aston-villa

Rather he was talking about the millions he is going to spend this summer but of course thats business.

Esse85 wrote: »
    Muntari, although a good player, will not break into the box, he's more a DM and not really what we need to replace Barry, considering he'll play alongside Petrov.

He is more attack minded that Barry though and likes to have a pop from long range (as Villa fans only know too well). Although I do agree a real out and out attacking midfielder ála Kranjkar, Stankovic, Sneijder etc is more of what we need (I know, I laughed too! :D).

Since I'm in such a comically mood I might as well suggest MON lodging a cheeky bid for Joann Gourcuff :D

Doubt MON has ever even heard of Stankovic, Sneijder and Gourcuff to be honest.

Doubt MON has ever even heard of Stankovic, Sneijder and Gourcuff to be honest.

But we all have? MON has his ways but he doesn't live under a rock and these snide remarks are silly.

Relax JPA, its sarcasm.

• Advertisement

How dare you!

Im sorry:p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,420 ✭✭✭Doodee

Im sorry:p

was that sarcasm too?

I'm confused

I was just watching a video of Diego on youtube http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c-fbSWTgUAM
    Oh how we could do with a player like him!

Just to look at Heskey's stats:

Liverpool 150 (39)
    Birmingham City 68 (14)
    Wigan Athletic 82 (15)
    Aston Villa 14 (2)

And 6 goals in 52 games for England

What a bad player, I wonder would there be any chance we could offload him to Burnley.

someone might take him alright

talk of bruce going to sunderland, he might take him over there

• Advertisement

Heard Strachen could go there too.

Aston Villa owner Randy Lerner has pledged to back manager Martin O'Neill in the transfer market again this summer.

Lerner believes the credit crunch will not have a significant impact on the funds that will be made available.

But the American multi-millionaire is also eager to ensure Villa do not become embroiled in the financial difficulties which have hit other clubs in the past through reckless over-spending.

O'Neill spent around £50million on new players last summer and has made it clear the size of his squad needs to be significantly increased if Villa are to challenge for a Champions League spot.

Lerner said: "Will there be funds for players this summer? Yes. Like any club we are conscious of having money available for the summer.

"We are also conscious of managing the players leaving and trying to generate funds from that. It is a balancing act but, yes, there will be funds.

"Will the credit crunch impact on funds available this summer? I don't really view the credit crunch as a big issue in terms of the funding for the summer.

"But, if anything, what has gone on in the economy makes you very conscious of building a sustainable business because, in the end, that is what you are responsible for doing.

"To the extent that you are deficit spending, maybe you should think very hard about how you are ultimately going to pay it off and the consequences of not being able to pay it off.

"We know clubs that got into trouble before and those disappointments far exceed not having the best players and not winning what one sets out to win. They are long term problems that don't go away.

"That is more in my mind where things like the credit crunch impact on your thinking, impact on the psychology of spending and they should in my opinion."

Lerner added: "Will £50 million be available again this summer? I don't know sitting here now. If I was to come out and say 'yes' I would put the club at some disadvantage in terms of pricing.

"Suddenly players' costs go would up if you start saying what you are planning to spend.

"Do we need quite a few more players? I think we have discussed it. I think we have got players who are very good, and been recognised as very good, and a certain amount of continuity is starting to set in which is a part of the formula for success,

"I don't think 'quite a few' is necessary the right formula because 'quite a few' could imply you are constantly over-hauling and, when you do that, you pay the price of having guys who aren't used to playing with each other.

"Do Villa need to increase depth of squad? I think that is a matter for Martin. If he has said that, then I would accept that. Absolutely."

Lerner is content with the progress Villa have made under O'Neill and is confident he will remain long term even if the prized jobs in football become available.

He said: "We are doing okay. There are any number of initiatives from the beginning, some of which have been met, some of which have been put off and some of which went away and new ones have appeared.

"In my mind we are doing well on certain areas of the plans like upgrading infrastructure, finishing building at the training ground, upgrading some of the hospitality, bringing in new players.

"You want to do more as you get into it and those start to become the new plans.

"But if someone said when I arrived that we would have two successive top six finishes and done the work we have behind the scenes, I would have been delighted."

Lerner added: "Am I confident of keeping Martin O'Neill? I am long term even if a big job came up.

"I think Martin has bought into the club. I think he has emotionally invested. He has bought into me and my ambitions to some extent."
    http://www.football365.com/story/0,17033,8652_5349377,00.html

being linked with babel now according to reports in holland

being linked with babel now according to reports in holland
    Id take him for single figures.

Id take him for single figures.

id take him in part trade for barry

if they threw in benayoun too i wouldnt want any cash back either

id take him in part trade for barry

if they threw in benayoun too i wouldnt want any cash back either
    Yossi + Babel would be great business for Barry, dont see it happening though.

villa link machine in overdrive today
    Toulouse goalmachine André-Pierre Gignac is set to move to Aston Villa this summer.

When asked if the 23-year-old will move to Villa, Philippe Auclair of France Football Magazine told Setanta Sports News: "Yeah. I had my doubts about Gignac. He came from Lorient, he was not really the greatest of players there.

"Then suddenly he's found a coach who believed in him and has played him in the proper formation for him. He likes to be the lone man at the top of a 4-5-1, which is the way that Villa play.

"He's improved tremendously. He's won his first cap for France. He's back in the French squad again for the friendlies.

"Physically, he's very impressive. He's very brave. Fine header of the ball. Best right foot in the French League."

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,335 ✭✭✭death1234567

Villa don't play a 4-5-1

Villa don't play a 4-5-1

we did until we inexplicably changed it to shoehorn that useless bastard in

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,219 ✭✭✭invincibleirish

Great stuff from Lerner, slick PR it may be but it does at least point to Villa doing something in the summer window. Over to you MON.

Forgot about Bent. Clearly not rated by Dirty Harry, I think he'd be a great signing for Villa. We'll end up with these 'english' style players over anyone continental.
    we did until we inexplicably changed it to shoehorn that useless bastard in
    So eloquently put :D

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement