Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Aston Villa Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,246 ✭✭✭Esse85

Great stuff from Lerner, slick PR it may be but it does at least point to Villa doing something in the summer window. Over to you MON.
    Lerner's contribution was never in doubt as far as Im concerned, its the inability of MON to take advantage of his wealth that worries me.

I fear MON is happy to start with Carew and Gabby next season and he'll play these no matter what, I dont thin he'll bring in a striker to challenge for a starting place, he probably rates Heskey too highly. I hope Im wrong though.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,879 Mod ✭✭✭✭Bounty Hunter

Good positive PR from Lerner showing we will be spending again and that after 2 top 6 seasons plus Infastructure changes Villa are def improving.

Ive seen Gignac linked previously but imo its a bit odd if as it says he has only done well at Toulouse since they played him as the lone striker in a 451. Surely despite its previous success we will be playing 442 next year as even if Harewood leaves we would have Gignac, Gabby, Heskey, Carew and The Fonz. Although i suppose we could send the Fonz out on loan, play Gabby RWF or when we switch to 442 and Carew, Gignac and Heskey to fight over the single strikers slot.

I saw an interview with Curtis Davies yesterday too in which he talks about Micheal Owen. I personally dont want Owen at Villa anymore but wouldent be too annoyed if he signed as it would be a signal of Intent and maybe attract others.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,246 ✭✭✭Esse85

play Gabby RWF or when we switch to 442 and Carew, Gignac and Heskey to fight over the single strikers slot.

What do you propose we do with our record signing James Milner?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,219 ✭✭✭invincibleirish

Gabby plays a lot better when he's part of the 451 either on his own up front or on the right where his pace is best utilised. In the 442 i think he just doesn't have the cutting edge to be the small man to Carew. So yes Esse85 i too would like to see another striker in if MON is sticking with 442.

Has anyone actually seen Sturridge play? if he's not getting the time at City is he really that much of a prospect?

Esse85 wrote: »
    What do you propose we do with our record signing James Milner?

well in the part of my last post you didnt quote i said that i didnt see the Gignac thing making sense unless we went back to 451 and Gabby played a dual role as RWF and CF as we would then have 3 CFs plus the Fonz even if Harewood left.

I like Milner and personally would have him as our RW next season. I expect Sturridge far more than Gignac anyway and he would not have to play in the 4-5-1

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,154 ✭✭✭✭Neil3030

Jeez I'm not saying Carroll will get us into the CL next year I'm just saying I'd take him. Looks like a decent prospect if he's willing to learn his trade.

If Barry does stay, there are a couple of things we will need to do tactically:

1. Play 4-5-1, drop Gabby for an attacking midfielder or move Young into a free role behind the strikers and sign a new winger.

2. Sign more attacking minded fullbacks. A genuine attacking threat up the wings will free up space for the wingers, maybe even let them cut inside the channels. Imagine the likes of Bosingwa, Cole or Evra backing up Milner and Young? Barry and Petrov in the centre can do the mop-up work since they're not the most attacking minded.

3. Continue playing 4-4-2 with the same team, moving heaven and earth to fit Heskey somewhere in the starting 11 and continue down the path of predictable one-dimensional football that had us in such a mess since Feb.

Why oh why do I think it'll be option 3... :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,420 ✭✭✭Doodee

maybe there should be a mass protest from Villa fans each sending MON shoehorn with "Heskey" written on it :D

Personally I wouldn't mind seeing a Krank arrive even if we kept Barry.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,793 ✭✭✭✭JPA

the links are coming thick and fast these days.
    Aston Villa are reportedly keeping tabs on Zenit St Petersburg's Nicolas Lombaerts and Mbark Boussoufa of Anderlecht.

Martin O'Neill is set to venture into the transfer market to look for a new defender following the retirement of Martin Laursen.

Lombaerts has emerged as a possible target and the versatile Belgian admits he would be open to an offer from the Premier League.

"I hadn't heard about the interest of the English club, but in the future I would like to try myself in one of the top championships, of course," the 24-year-old told Sport Express.

One stumbling block to a deal may be Lombaerts' fitness as he has only just come back from a long-term knee injury.

He admits his primary focus is on regaining his best form, adding: "Firstly I need to fully recover after my knee injury and return to Zenit's starting line-up.

"Incidentally everything is now fine with the knee. I believe that it will not be giving me any more problems."
    Special

Anderlecht midfielder Boussoufa is also understood to have attracted the attention of Villa after an impressive campaign.

Scouts from the club are believed to have watched him in action and reported back positively.

However, the Moroccan is valued at around 10million euros (£8.7million) and the likes of Marseille and Lyon are also thought to be keen.

Boussoufa has also insisted that it would take something special to prise him away from Anderlecht.

"I am prepared to leave Anderlecht only if a big offer arrives from a club with a lot of ambition," he said.

Some of you may not know but MON attended an Anderlecht game so slowly but surely we are being linked to everyone of their players.

Benitez tells Babel he can bob off

Aston Villa, Tottenham and Arsenal are set for an £11million tug of war for Ryan Babel after Rafael Benitez told him he can leave Liverpool.

It is understood that following talks with the Dutch international's agent, Reds gaffer Benitez has told the winger he is free to talk to other clubs about a possible £11million move.

Babel arrived at Anfield in July 2007 and has scored 14 goals in 91 matches for the club - although only 42 of those were as a starter. But despite early promise, he has failed to hold down a regular place in the side and has mainly been used as an impact player from the bench.

He has reportedly asked for assurances that he will be given more of an opportunity next season.

But following discussions with the player's agent, Winnie Haatrecht, Benitez has been unable to offer such guarantees after starting with Babel only six times in the Premier League this term.

It has appeared likely for some time that Benitez would be prepared to listen to offers for Babel, and now he is ready to use the 22 year-old to raise cash.

Babel was signed from Ajax, who have appointed Martin Jol as their new manager, but the asking price to re-sign their former player would rule out the Dutch club.

The youngster has admirers in England, with Villa, Spurs and the Gunners believed to be showing interest.

Benitez needs cash to fund a spending spree that could bring Carlos Tevez, David Silva and Gareth Barry to Merseyside.

Barry's future at Villa is again in doubt with the club's owner Randy Learner claiming the player would stay at Villa Park after discussions started over a new contract.

But Barry is known to want Champions League football, and Liverpool could sweeten a possible move by including Babel as bait. Villa still want £10million for Barry and a swap deal may suit all parties.

Dunno about Babel. Has yet to prove himself really but we do need competition and cover in that area of the pitch.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,518 ✭✭✭matrim

I wouldn't mind Babel but not for £11m

• Advertisement

if we were to play 451 and have Babel as the LWF with Young in the hole it could work alright. tbh if he signed id be very happy just cos he is the standard of player we need to be signing even if a LWF shouldent be our top priority as far as im concerned.

matrim wrote: »
    I wouldn't mind Babel but not for £11m

Nah definitely not. He'd be part of a Barry deal if he joined IMO. Babel and £5m sounds decent.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,323 ✭✭✭Savman

if we were to play 451 and have Babel as the LWF
    ...the whatnow? Has someone been watching NFL...

Savman wrote: »

nope playing FM :D

Left Wing forward i.e where Young played in our 451, whileYoung does what Sidwell couldent.

I understood. :p

nope playing FM :D

Left Wing forward
    pffft. You kids and yar bebo.
    In my day we had wingers and strikers, none o' this 'free role' shamalamadingdongs :mad:

• Advertisement

In my day we had wingers and strikers, none o' this 'free role' shamalamadingdongs :mad:

Don't forget our metatarsals getting injured and rolling around on the ground sulking for not getting a free ;)

tommychong80show.jpg
    Contemporize man

Frickin hate Bebo

most recent links i havent seen here
    EXCLUSIVE: Villa boss O'Neill to start spending spree with £5m bid for Hungary star Juhasz

Martin O'Neill is ready to launch his summer spending with a £5million bid for Roland Juhasz after making a personal check on the giant Hungary defender.

The Aston Villa manager received encouraging reports about Juhasz and decided to see for himself in Anderlecht's Belgian Jupiler League title play-off against Standard Liege, after the two fierce rivals finished the campaign tied at the top

O'Neill was at a packed Maurice Dufrasne Stadium last Thursday to see Juhasz give another assured performance as the teams fought out a 1-1 draw, Standard going on to be crowned champions with a 1-0 win in the return leg on Sunday.

Though also linked with Standard's midfielder and skipper Steven Defour and their American defender Oguchi Onyewu, a free agent this summer, it is understood 6ft 4in centre-back Juhasz was the player under review.

The 25-year old has been capped 44 times and has steadily increased in stature since making his Anderlecht debut in a Champions League tie against Chelsea nearly four years ago.

Signed from his home club MTK, he was voted his country's outstanding player in a poll conducted by the Hungarian Federation at the end of last year and would cost at least £5million.

But with Martin Laursen forced to retire through injury earlier this month, O'Neill needs a commanding figure at the back and is ready to tempt Anderlecht with a bid.
    Villa boss O'Neill set to raid Bramall Lane for £5m Naughton

Martin O'Neill is ready to exploit Sheffield United's failure to return to the Premiership by making a multi-million pound bid for Kyle Naughton.

The 20-year-old full back has already been vetted by most clubs in the top flight, but Aston Villa boss O'Neill has shown the most consistent interest after watching him on several occasions.

With United facing cutbacks after losing the Championship play-off final to Burnley, the Bramall Lane board are bracing themselves for offers for several players and Naughton is the most in-demand.

After completing his first full season, he is already rated in the £5m bracket. O'Neill sees him as the perfect addition to advance Villa's profile as a young, energetic outfit.

Naughton, who can play on either flank and is dangerous on the overlap, was among United's few stars at Wembley where he displayed the sort of pace that Ashley Young and Gabriel Agbonlahor have brought to O'Neill's developing team.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 657 ✭✭✭tomred1

JPA wrote: »
    Nah definitely not. He'd be part of a Barry deal if he joined IMO. Babel and £5m sounds decent.

If Babel isn't good enough for Liverpool , he not good enough for Villa.

• Registered Users Posts: 857 ✭✭✭wynters

Delighted to see us linked with that Kyle Naughton lad. Watched him in the Championship play-off final there the other day and was hugely impressed. Quick full back, tough tackler, great going forward. Like Clichy but on the right side.

See the Mirror are reporting today that we've made enquiries about Bentley.

Nice!

• Advertisement

wrote:
    Villa boss O'Neill to start spending spree with £5m bid for Hungary star Juhasz
    What's O'Neill gonna do, feed him?

baaaaaad. :o

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 845 ✭✭✭V1llianous

Re - Villa boss O'Neill to start spending spree with £5m bid for Hungary star Juhasz

According to a presumed Irish user (shamrockvilla) on Vital Villa this deal has already been completed and official confirmation should come soon - here's hoping :P

V1llianous wrote: »
    Re - Villa boss O'Neill to start spending spree with £5m bid for Hungary star Juhasz

According to a presumed Irish user (shamrockvilla) on Vital Villa this deal has already been completed and official confirmation should come soon - here's hoping :P

Seems highly rated and in demand.
    Hungarys player of the year. Beating Zoltan Gera to that honour is quite an achievement. :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,535 ✭✭✭Raekwon

What's O'Neill gonna do, feed him?

I lol'd :D

Aston Villa are reportedly keeping tabs on Zenit St Petersburg's Nicolas Lombaerts and Mbark Boussoufa of Anderlecht.

Martin O'Neill is set to venture into the transfer market to look for a new defender following the retirement of Martin Laursen.

Lombaerts has emerged as a possible target and the versatile Belgian admits he would be open to an offer from the Premier League.

"I hadn't heard about the interest of the English club, but in the future I would like to try myself in one of the top championships, of course," the 24-year-old told Sport Express.

One stumbling block to a deal may be Lombaerts' fitness as he has only just come back from a long-term knee injury.

He admits his primary focus is on regaining his best form, adding: "Firstly I need to fully recover after my knee injury and return to Zenit's starting line-up.

"Incidentally everything is now fine with the knee. I believe that it will not be giving me any more problems."
    Special

Anderlecht midfielder Boussoufa is also understood to have attracted the attention of Villa after an impressive campaign.

Scouts from the club are believed to have watched him in action and reported back positively.

However, the Moroccan is valued at around 10million euros (£8.7million) and the likes of Marseille and Lyon are also thought to be keen.

Boussoufa has also insisted that it would take something special to prise him away from Anderlecht.

"I am prepared to leave Anderlecht only if a big offer arrives from a club with a lot of ambition," he said.Aston Villa are reportedly keeping tabs on Zenit St Petersburg's Nicolas Lombaerts and Mbark Boussoufa of Anderlecht.

Special

"I am prepared to leave Anderlecht only if a big offer arrives from a club with a lot of ambition," he said.

&
    Newly-promoted Wolves have made a bid for Serbian international Nenad Milijas.

The 26-year-old midfielder is currently captain of Red Star Belgrade - but he looks set to depart the Serbian giants this summer.

A host of clubs including Roma, Panathinaikos, CSKA Moscow and Borussia Dortmund have been linked in recent weeks, whilst only last week it is believed that Aston Villa and Sunderland sent scouts to check on the highly-rated playmaker.

He has already rebuffed an approach from Saudi Arabian side Al Nsar, but the club leading the chase is German outfit Borussia Monchengladbach.

Gladbach want Milijas to replace their starlet Marko Marin - who looks set to be sold in the summer.

Borussia have opened talks, but Wolves have now looked to try and seal a quick deal and have made their move.

"We received a €3million offer from Wolves," his agent Zoran Stojadinovic confirmed.

"They are asking for Milijas to have medical checks as soon as possible, but everything will wait until we see what we will do with Borussia.

hmm can't see MON going for some exotic eastern euro players, but i enjoy reading them anyway. The Bentley & Kyle Naughton rumours are the ones i'd be most inclined to believe anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,299 ✭✭✭villains77

bentley and bent would be good signings imho. bable if we get him would be great. for next season. sould still like to see more of sidwell next season .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,249 ✭✭✭✭Kinetic^

villains77 wrote: »
    bentley and bent would be good signings imho. bable if we get him would be great. for next season. sould still like to see more of sidwell next season .

As great as they are, I'd prefer him to secure the back line and Barry before going for any midfielders/forwards.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 845 ✭✭✭V1llianous

According to the Daily Express via BBC rumours page:

Sheffield United have rejected a bid of £2million from Aston Villa for defender Kyle Naughton.

A 16-YEAR-OLD midfielder raised in western Sydney has become the subject of a test case for Football Federation Australia's crackdown on the transfer of minors to overseas clubs.

English premiership heavyweights Aston Villa have this month taken the case of former Blacktown City junior Reece Caira to the world governing body, FIFA, after the FFA refused to release his registration. While both of Caira's parents hold British passports, FFA maintain the family's motivation to sell up and move to England last year was for football reasons, and not for personal reasons. Under FIFA regulations introduced three years ago, players under the age of 18 can no longer move abroad simply to further their football careers.

Caira has since been offered a youth contract by Villa, but cannot take up the offer until he receives an International Transfer Certificate from the FFA. Chief executive Ben Buckley this week maintained the FFA was protecting the interests of the player as well as its own development programs by taking a tougher stance, telling the Herald: "It's definitely a tougher line, and we make no apologies for that. The rules of FIFA are quite clear, and in many ways we are simply making sure we enforce them more rigorously.

"But, fundamentally, this is about trying to make sure players are not misled, at the same time as protecting our own development programs … there's less and less reasons for a player to go overseas at a young age. That's the message we want to get across."

Caira's father, Phil, told London's People newspaper early this month that the FFA's stance could jeopardise any chance of his son playing for Australia, saying: "We can't understand why the federation [FFA] is stopping him from playing … if Australia cause problems, he won't play for them. If he's good enough, he could play for England, or Ireland, where my wife's family are, or even Italy - that's where his grandad comes from."

Good to see villas scouts heading down in our neck of the woods! Shame they dont let him go though.

• Advertisement

A 16-YEAR-OLD midfielder raised in western Sydney has become the subject of a test case for Football Federation Australia's crackdown on the transfer of minors to overseas clubs.

English premiership heavyweights Aston Villa have this month taken the case of former Blacktown City junior Reece Caira to the world governing body, FIFA, after the FFA refused to release his registration. While both of Caira's parents hold British passports, FFA maintain the family's motivation to sell up and move to England last year was for football reasons, and not for personal reasons. Under FIFA regulations introduced three years ago, players under the age of 18 can no longer move abroad simply to further their football careers.

Caira has since been offered a youth contract by Villa, but cannot take up the offer until he receives an International Transfer Certificate from the FFA. Chief executive Ben Buckley this week maintained the FFA was protecting the interests of the player as well as its own development programs by taking a tougher stance, telling the Herald: "It's definitely a tougher line, and we make no apologies for that. The rules of FIFA are quite clear, and in many ways we are simply making sure we enforce them more rigorously.

"But, fundamentally, this is about trying to make sure players are not misled, at the same time as protecting our own development programs … there's less and less reasons for a player to go overseas at a young age. That's the message we want to get across."

Caira's father, Phil, told London's People newspaper early this month that the FFA's stance could jeopardise any chance of his son playing for Australia, saying: "We can't understand why the federation [FFA] is stopping him from playing … if Australia cause problems, he won't play for them. If he's good enough, he could play for England, or Ireland, where my wife's family are, or even Italy - that's where his grandad comes from."

Good to see villas scouts heading down in our neck of the woods! Shame they dont let him go though.

I really can't see the FFA winning this. The guy is 16 (with presumable a valid British passport) and both his parents have English passports and are moving over to England.
    Are they going to make him stay in Australia, while his parents are over in England.

Sky Sports have linked Villa with Moroccan International Tarik Sektioui. I somehow doubt that an ageing mercenary who hasn't played at the highest level is what we really need :rolleyes:

Also looks like Nicky Shorley has one foot out of the Villa Park door. Won't say I'll really miss him to be honest.

Aston Villa ground set for a revamp

May 31 2009 by Mathew Kendrick

RANDY Lerner has reassured Aston Villa fans that he has no intentions of relocating Villa Park despite revelling in the ‘sold out’ signs going up with increasing regularity.

Lerner plans to increase the capacity of the famous old ground to 50,000 and has hinted that work to revamp the North Stand could begin within 18 months.

Manchester City and Arsenal have recently followed the trend of upping sticks to play at bigger state-of-the-art stadiums with Liverpool also plotting to relocate. But Lerner loves Villa Park in its present position and insists he could never envisage a time when the club could move from their home of the past 112 years.

Asked if Villa Park should always remain at its Witton Lane site, the claret-and-blue traditionalist replied: “Yes, I am a staunch believer in that.

“Is the capacity big enough? I hope not. I want demand to exceed supply. If that happens then you have a very attractive formula to grow. That’s my goal.

“We are thinking about expanding capacity in the North Stand. I’m not sure that 50,000 is a magical number because, think of the Holte End, it’s powerful and loud as a device for support.

“It’s authentic in terms of experiencing football. You may elect to build a stand more like that in place of additional boxes. That could change the overall capacity. It’s a balancing act, so I’m tentative.

“Internally, we discuss bumping up to 50,000, but what if that’s not enough. The question is whether the club is increasingly drawing capacity crowds. That would be the single best problem.”

Lerner is an admirer of the atmosphere at Newcastle United’s St James’ Park and hopes Villa’s expansion plans will create a similar arena. The 47-year-old billionaire is keen to revive the claret-and-blue tradition of playing in front of capacity crowds at home.

When there were no seats, it was 75,000-80,000 at Villa Park, so the tradition is to pack them in,” said Lerner. “But the format’s changed. We are very conscious that this is a traditional stadium that can be grown.

“I don’t know any example better than St James’ Park which pulled it off. It’s unbelievably beautiful, I don’t know anyone who wouldn’t agree with that. They did it. They got 50,000 people doing it.”

Lerner is cautiously optimistic about his grand plans to further redevelop Villa Park by overhauling the visibly out-dated North Stand area of the ground.

Under his stewardship, the Holte pub has been restored to its former glory and he has funded some stunning conference facilities in the Trinity Road stand. But he admits there are plenty of hurdles to overcome to bring the stadium up to his standards without inconveniencing supporters too much.

Asked when the North Stand revamp could take place, Lerner replied: “Hopefully in the next year, or year and a half.

“There are issues we haven’t dealt with like how do you do it from a practical perspective, which includes relocation, interruption, dislocation. There’s a lot of factors going into it. We must have a plan, otherwise we’ll face real hurdles.”

Lerner is a fan of the Holte End, but insists the new-look North Stand will not be a replica of Villa’s iconic former terrace.

“No, that’s not the idea,” he added. “The Holte is very successful, but take from that what you will. The Holte was the biggest terrace of its kind when it was built. It was an ambitious proposition from day one

I really like the North Stand, yeah its dingy and facilities are non existant but thats what gives it its charm, its just an old skool stand. Plus its nice and cheap.

I see one of our number Helix has been permabanned from soccer for alleged controversial opinions expressed on another website, an outrageous abuse of power and demonstration of fascist tendancies. FOR SHAME.

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055577490

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,951 ✭✭✭DSB

I'll hold my tongue on how I feel about that, to avoid going the same way.

ill also keep my mouth closed on this issue but i feel sorry for him as there is no way he expected a perma ban from here, but this Villa thread will prob become a more positive place with him Mia :D

and as funny season continues

http://www.avfc.premiumtv.co.uk/page/PlayerProfiles/0,,10265~22343,00.html

and in other news
    Vermaelen lauds Villa attitude as representative of Premier League attraction

Author: Andrew Allen
    Posted on: 01 June 2009 - 11:32
    Category: Football
    Comments: Be the first to comment

Ajax defender Thomas Vermaelen has spoken about reported interested from Premier League sides and hinted that a move to England holds its attractions. The 23-year-old Belgian international has been linked in the media to both Arsenal and Aston Villa in recent weeks and it is contact with the latter in the UEFA Cup earlier in the season which appears to have turned his head to life away from the Eredivisie.

Speaking to Setanta, Vermaelen stated:

"The Premier League is attractive to me. We played against Aston Villa [in the UEFA Cup] and the game was played the way it should be. For the public it is the number one sport.

"I do not know much,” the stopper replied when quizzed about the potential switch.

"I’m busy with my own season and after that I have the Kirin Cup.I hear it [the rumours], but I can say little about it. It would be nice, but I’m not there yet."

The Fonz scored twice for england u-19s
    http://www.thefa.com/England/MensUnder19s/NewsAndFeatures/2009/england_slovakia_report_290509.aspx

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,924 ✭✭✭shoutman

So it seems that Alonso might be on his way out of Anfield and Gerrard came out today saying how he would love to see Gaz Baz at Liverpool, me thinks it could happen this summer....

shoutman wrote: »
    So it seems that Alonso might be on his way out of Anfield and Gerrard came out today saying how he would love to see Gaz Baz at Liverpool, me thinks it could happen this summer....

That Perez lad at Madrid is trouble - he was mouthin off about Kaka, Ronaldo and Alonso yesterday - all midfielders. Was just lookin at it there and Madrid have a ****load of midfielders already (van der Vaart, Sneijder, the two Diarra's, Guti, de la Red, Robben.... - I counted 13 in total!) so it looks like they'll be selling a few of those to accomodate the players they want to bring in. Villa should look at that situation and see if there's anyone there who could be got. Martin Jol is already talking about re-signing van der Vaart for Ajax, surely we could be as attractive an option as Ajax to a player like that? O'Neill was rumoured to be after Sniejder before wasn't he...???

I think Barry has a lot to think about in terms of his World Cup place though. The way things stand, I don't think it's nailed on that he'll leave if he's not guaranteed as much playing time elsewhere. Alonso leaving Liverpool would have a massive bearing on that though...

Aston Villa can confirm today that Gareth Barry is in talks with Manchester City.

http://www.avfc.premiumtv.co.uk/page/News/0,,10265~1679514,00.html

Enjoy the Champions League Gareth.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,372 ✭✭✭✭Mr Alan

ouch that'd be some kick in the teeth.

wouldn't have expected that from him tbh.

Mr Alan wrote: »
    ouch that'd be some kick in the teeth.

wouldn't have expected that from him tbh.

Tell me about it.

This could really damage his reputation.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,016 ✭✭✭mirwillbeback

I see one of our number Helix has been permabanned from soccer for alleged controversial opinions expressed on another website, an outrageous abuse of power and demonstration of fascist tendancies. FOR SHAME.

[/url]

am i on my own now regarding Martin O Neill :eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Thats nuts. Villa are more likely to breach the top 4 before City.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,016 ✭✭✭mirwillbeback

mike65 wrote: »
    Thats nuts. Villa are more likely to breach the top 4 before City.

have said it for years, if there is ANY team in the world who can f*ck up all those billions, it has to be City.

and with bridge and bellamy as indications ( not to mention 32m on a player who doesnt like the cold ), i stand by it

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,372 ✭✭✭✭Mr Alan

strange one.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,951 ✭✭✭✭Villain

Well that shows Barry must be in it for the money, if City do manage to sign a load of world class players and break the top 4 Barry will be watching from the bench or stand.

Wonder what the deal will be worth

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,924 ✭✭✭shoutman

I'd prefer Barry to go to City then to Liverpool or another top four club. Also going to City might mean that we get more transfer money for him.

JPA wrote: »
    Aston Villa can confirm today that Gareth Barry is in talks with Manchester City.

http://www.avfc.premiumtv.co.uk/page/News/0,,10265~1679514,00.html

Enjoy the Champions League Gareth.

hmmMMMMMMMMMMmmmmm?

Would prefer to see him go there than Liverpool. If we were to get Sturridge + cash or AN other, Elano / Michael Johnson... that mightn't be too bad.

Or is Sturridge a free agent now?

As for the CL? After 11 years I think Barry might just be all-Villa'd-out...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 657 ✭✭✭tomred1

shoutman wrote: »
    I'd prefer Barry to go to City then to Liverpool or another top four club. Also going to City might mean that we get more transfer money for him.

Yean have to agreee with this. Still shocked though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,154 ✭✭✭✭Neil3030

Understandable wanting to move to an established big 4 team but Man City would be a smack in the face to every fan who sympathised with his desire to leave VP for instant Champion's League football. Hopefully we get a few more sheckles for him off the Dubai boys though.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement