Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Aston Villa Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,335 ✭✭✭death1234567

wynters wrote: »
    Or is Sturridge a free agent now?
    Yes he is.

Barry = money grabbing w**ker. I knew he was gong to leave but I expected him to take a step up not a step down.

EDIT: Sturridge would still require a fee as Xavi says below.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,909 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

It'll be a cash plus Sturridge deal, which suits us to the ground as Studge is in serious danger of going off the rails thanks to his horrible Big Time Charlie attitude.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,793 ✭✭✭✭JPA

Xavi6 wrote: »
    It'll be a cash plus Sturridge deal, which suits us to the ground as Studge is in serious danger of going off the rails thanks to his horrible Big Time Charlie attitude.

Sturridge is free no?

JPA wrote: »
    Sturridge is free no?

We will receive a fee as any deal will go to a tribunal apparently.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 657 ✭✭✭tomred1

City could be a real force next season if Mark Hughes gets the players he wants with no interference from the owners and by signing Barry, City are going in the right direction. He maybe see City as challenging for league next season and he might get some medals with them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

tomred1 wrote: »
    He maybe see City as challenging for league next season

I've read some funny shít on these forums in the last five years or so, but this takes the biscuit.

City, challenging for the league?

Are you nuts?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 657 ✭✭✭tomred1

Des wrote: »
    I've read some funny shít on these forums in the last five years or so, but this takes the buscuit.

City, challenging for the league?

Are you nuts?

Chelsea won the league in Abramovich is 2nd season, why can't City if they spend the money?
    You have to look at it from Barrys view, he will get more money and with our finish to this season, City look the better prospect to win trophies next season.

• Registered Users Posts: 857 ✭✭✭wynters

I'd much prefer to see him stay, but to be fair, I wouldn't really begrudge Barry this opportunity. He made an agreement for one more year with O'Neill, and stated that had we qualified for the CL he'd happily sign a new deal. That didn't happen, so... fair is fair. He's given 11 years...

With their financial muscle, City could easily overtake Villa thise season. Barry'd be moving to City at a time when he could take over as club captain, and remain so for another 3 or 4 seasons, so he actually has the chance of 'lifting' trophies at City instead of just being 'part of the team' like he would be anywhere else. If captaincy is a possibility, it's a huge incentive for a club in City's financial position...

As long as he doesn't sign for Liverpool I'll be happy enough.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,246 ✭✭✭Esse85

Great news thats its City and not Liverpool.

I'll be delighted Rafa wont get his man if the deal goes through.

I wouldnt ming seeing a few players thrown into the deal.

As for joining Man City, Barry will claim its not about the money, but lets be honest, we know it is.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,372 ✭✭✭✭Mr Alan

Villa have a better chance at winning trophies over the next 3 years than City.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,335 ✭✭✭death1234567

That's written by Bill Howell who is well known to Villa fans as being totally full of it. He knows less than you or me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,219 ✭✭✭invincibleirish

If the sheikhs have offered silly money for GB then let it be, although i doubt MON will sign any obvious quality with the money though. Sidwell & NRC cost 12m combined ffs.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,323 ✭✭✭Savman

lol @ Barry, how the mighty have fallen.

"in talks" = "i'll listen to what they have to say" = "how much yiz gonna pay me"

Talk about killing your hard earned rep in one foul swoop, way to go Gareth :D

Mr Alan wrote: »
    Villa have a better chance at winning trophies over the next 3 years than City.

Not with a squad the size of the current one.

That will change.

'better chance' does not mean we'll win the league anytime soon. It's more to do with overall club structure, something City still haven't really sorted out IMHO.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,349 ✭✭✭Samurai

Esse85 wrote: »
    That will change.

mons been saying that for three years now! :pac:

It's weird that it says Barry is in talks with Man City rather than saying City have been given permission to talk to him.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,037 ✭✭✭bigstar

tomred1 wrote: »
    Chelsea won the league in Abramovich is 2nd season, why can't City if they spend the money?
    You have to look at it from Barrys view, he will get more money and with our finish to this season, City look the better prospect to win trophies next season.

chalsea were already competing at the top before abramovich came in, we are nowhere near that yet.

loling at the "pool dodged a bullet not getting barry" attitude. if rafa was allowed spend on the players he wants instead of the sub standard ones he gets then liverpool would have won the league by now. hes a good player and i think hed be great for city, whether or not it happens is another matter.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,369 ✭✭✭✭SlickRic

It's weird that it says Barry is in talks with Man City rather than saying City have been given permission to talk to him.

not really.

take it as implied that permission is there.

if your mind is of a tabloid nature, then you can go down your road ;)

I just can't see Barry in the blue next season, it's too far fetched. All sounds like a ploy to get other suitors moving and spark a bidding war for what's probably gonna be one big payday for the player.

Savman wrote: »
    I just can't see Barry in the blue next season, it's too far fetched. All sounds like a ploy to get other suitors moving and spark a bidding war for what's probably gonna be one big payday for the player.

i was thinking that myself, would love to happen though. i think villa will find things hard next season with out barry and laursen though.

SlickRic wrote: »
    not really.

take it as implied that permission is there.

if your mind is of a tabloid nature, then you can go down your road ;)

Obviously permission is there, that's not in question.
    I'm not even sure what I'm trying to say.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,879 Mod ✭✭✭✭Bounty Hunter

if the fee is 12m and sturridge and Villa have given permison then i see no reason to be annoyed at anyone. Id be sad to see Barry leave but we havent accepted a bid from any CL team as far as we know and Liverpool his most likely suitors are unlikely to offer us such a good deal with only a year left on Barrys contract. So with one offer on the table from Villa and one from city I would expect him to atleast talk to Mark hughes and compare both clubs credentials for getting a CL spot for next season and the wage packets on offer. He has said he would prefer CL football at Villa but if he believes City to be better placed to get that next season (although i would hope he finds thats not the case) after 11yrs of service id have no hard feelings towards him and take the 12m and Sturridge.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,154 ✭✭✭✭Neil3030

This really is the critical moment in MON's Villa career imo. If Barry does leave for 12m, unless he's replaced adequately (preferably with a more attacking minded midfielder like Defour) and we kick on into next season I can't see MON being in charge of the Villa transfers this time next year.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,154 ✭✭✭✭Neil3030

Obviously permission is there, that's not in question.
    I'm not even sure what I'm trying to say.

I get your thinking and I would be inclined to agree with you. For the club to say "Barry is in talks with Man City" it does give an impression to the uninformed that he was the instigator of proceedings so to speak. Whereas saying "Barry has been given permission to speak to City" puts a whole different perspective on things - i.e., the club have made the final decision in this and have decided he can leave/discuss leaving.

I'm not surprised it's worded that way as I think the club would like to remove themselves from showing any sign of wanting or approving of this move and focus attention on Barry and how he wants to leave.

Neil3030 wrote: »
    I get your thinking and I would be inclined to agree with you. For the club to say "Barry is in talks with Man City" it does give an impression to the uninformed that he was the instigator of proceedings so to speak. Whereas saying "Barry has been given permission to speak to City" puts a whole different perspective on things - i.e., the club have made the final decision in this and have decided he can leave/discuss leaving.

I'm not surprised it's worded that way as I think the club would like to remove themselves from showing any sign of wanting or approving of this move and focus attention on Barry and how he wants to leave.

Mr Clifford? :)

Undergoing a medical now :eek:

Bloody hell, we're on top of this awfully quick.

• Advertisement

Savman wrote: »
    Undergoing a medical now :eek:

are you sure about that, i thought he was training with the england squad.

Bloody hell, we're on top of this awfully quick.

i'm sure MON couldn't wait to get him to City once they were interested.

1) €€€€€€€€€€€€€€€
    2) he's not strengthening a top 4 team

1) €€€€€€€€€€€€€€€

No, instead it's strengthening one of their main rivals for breaking the top 4. Pretty much as bad tbh.

bigstar wrote: »
    are you sure about that, i thought he was training with the england squad.

http://www.skysports.com/story/0,19528,11679_5359919,00.html

No, instead it's strengthening one of their main rivals for breaking the top 4. Pretty much as bad tbh.

which is why no. 1 is at no. 1 ;)

but also, it's marginally better strengthen a rival to break into it, than to strengthen a squad that's already better than yours.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 929 ✭✭✭sternn

This is the real gareth barry....money grabbing. We do owe it to him for putting in the 11 years, but what about the excuse of "looking for champions league"?!

I hope we get champions league next year, and man city finish mid-table with their millions spent...and then laugh in gareth's face. Thats how i feel right now, let down.

sternn wrote: »
    This is the real gareth barry....money grabbing. We do owe it to him for putting in the 11 years, but what about the excuse of "looking for champions league"?!

I hope we get champions league next year, and man city finish mid-table with their millions spent...and then laugh in gareth's face. Thats how i feel right now, let down.

and i don't blame you.

awfully poor form from barry.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,341 ✭✭✭✭Chucky the tree

Thank you Man City.

Just saw the bid was around 11 million pounds. Thats a pretty good deal for breaking a year contract. Looks like we couldn't reject the money.... :( I wonder if this is a sign of the lack of transfer money available to us this summer.

Still the same feeling about barry though!

SSN said "the fee is believed to be £11m"

Thats disappointing if its true.

Wayne Bridge cost that FFS

• Advertisement

Despite the fact that money is no object, £11 million is a cracking deal from our point of view. It's a unanimous thumbs up from the City fans anyway and if it's finalised then I'll be ecstatic.

bridge's contract wasn't up in a year.

bridge wasn't fussed about leaving.

Despite the fact that money is no object, £11 million is a cracking deal from our point of view. It's a unanimous thumbs up from the City fans anyway and if it's finalised then I'll be ecstatic.

and i don't blame you either.

a maaive improvement on your squad.

Its all about breaking the contract. Because Barry only had a year left, it doesnt take too much to break that contract. Wayne Bridge was more than likely on a 3 year deal, which in effect renders barry 3 times more valuable than bridge.

• Subscribers Posts: 32,855 ✭✭✭✭5starpool

1) €€€€€€€€€€€€€€€

I can't see how this is good for Villa tbh, given the fact that Villa are not exactly going to be tussling for league position with Liverool next season, but they are likely to be tussling with City.

Barry is a far better player than Bridge.

Man City are getting a great deal for £11m

I'm hearing rumours that to soften the blow of losing Barry we'll be sending Vassell the other way :pac:

This is like a bolt out of the blue (pun intended). It's now looking very much like Barry and MON aren't drinking buddies and will almost be glad to see the back of each other. Nobody wins here tbh. Villa lose a very good player and Barry loses his supposed ambition.

Man City are not a Top 4 side. They are not in the Champion's League. They are not even in the Europa League ffs. This cannot be anything other than paycheck related, which means Barry is full of sh*t and lied to armies of Villa fans 12 months ago, many of whom stood by him.

We would never have weeped seeing him in the CL where he belongs, but if this goes thru he will be booed on sight at VP, and rightly so. No respectful clapping here, Gareth.

I lost love for him last summer, this is just laughable tbh. What an eejit!

5starpool wrote: »
    I can't see how this is good for Villa tbh, given the fact that Villa are not exactly going to be tussling for league position with Liverool next season, but they are likely to be tussling with City.

it's not good.

but as i said earlier, if Villa's aspirations are top 4, it's better to strengthen a team that's around your level than to make an already better squad even better.

• Advertisement

Better £11m than nothing tbh. Although supposedly there was £80k a week on the table from Randy Lerner....the mind boggles. :confused:

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement