Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Aston Villa Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,793 ✭✭✭✭JPA

Gareth Barry will make a grovelling apology to Aston Villa fans over Manchester City move

Gareth Barry will today make a grovelling apology to Aston Villa fans for turning his back on them and joining Manchester City in a £12million deal.

Barry has written an open letter to Villa fans - to be published in a Midlands paper - pleading for forgiveness for leaving the club after 12 years.

Villa fans are furious Barry chose to sign for mid-table City just 12 months after claiming he only wanted to join Liverpool to play Champions League football.

City, unlike Villa, cannot even boast European football next season and Barry - who will more than double his wages to £100,000-a-week - on his new five-year deal at City - has been branded a mercenary by Villa fans.

Barry sought to halt the ongoing backlash from furious Villa fans - who claim he has sold out - by penning his letter of apology and explaining his reasons for leaving.

But Barry risked infuriating Villa fans further by claiming he joined City because of their ambition to become a major force in the Premier League and Champions League.

"I'm delighted to be joining City," said Barry, who underwent a medical at the England hotel in Watford yesterday ahead of this morning's departure to Kazakhstan for a World Cup qualifier.

He added: "It didn't take much persuasion from Mark Hughes because they are heading in the direction I want to go.

"There is great potential here. I'm sure there will be a few more additions to the squad this summer."

City boss Hughes said: "Gareth is widely acknowledged as one of the top midfielders in the Premier League, and that is a recommendation in itself.

"When players of his quality become available then you have to be in the market for them, so we're delighted we've been able to conclude the deal.

"I've spoken to Gareth briefly and I will do so at greater length soon. It's clear to everybody that being at City is going to be exciting in the future, and Gareth sees that."

Although Barry was in the final year of his contract, City paid the inflated fee to beat off any competition from other clubs and ensure they secured the 28-year-old.

England manager Fabio Capello does not usually allow agents into the team hotel, but was prepared top allow Barry to complete his move so any unsettling speculation was out of the way ahead of the games against Kazakhstan at the weekend and Andorra on Wednesday.

Ben Weetman, 34, who has been a Villa fan for 20 years, said: "I'm disgusted, I feel like I have been led up the garden path."

Andy Watts, 35, a Trinity Road season ticket holder at Villa Park, said: "I do think he has sold out.

"I am disappointed with him. All last year the talk was he wanted to play in the Champions League so I can't believe he has joined Man City."

Barry was set for a move to Liverpool last summer, but the Anfield board were not prepared to pay Villa's £18m asking price, despite his determination to force through the move.

But with only one year left on his contract, Villa could not afford to let Barry leave for free at the end of next season and immediately accepted City's huge offer.

Barry is understood to have spoken to Rafa Benitez who is on holiday in Spain, but the Liverpool boss told the player he could not get anywhere near matching either the wages or the transfer fee.

City boss Hughes will build on the capture of Barry by trying to bring Manchester United's Carlos Tevez and Barcelona's Samuel Eto'o to Eastlands.

Hughes is determined to have his major summer signings in place before City's pre-season tour of South Africa in mid-July - with Tevez and Eto'o top of his list.

Tevez remains in limbo, with United still unwilling to pay the £25.5m to sign him on a permanent basis, while Barcelona have told Eto'o he can leave this summer.

Eto'o and Tevez would cost City a combined £50m, with Hughes also keeping tabs on Blackburn striker Roque Santa Cruz, whom he could pick up for around £12m.

Although Santa Cruz has an £18m escape clause in his Blackburn contract, City are confident they could land the forward in a player-plus-cash deal for significantly less.

Also on City's radar are Everton defender Joleon Lescott and Arsenal centre-back Kolo Toure, with Hughes looking to conduct a major overhaul of his back-four.

Everton will rebuff City's attempts to sign £10m-rated Lescott, while Arsenal may listen to offers for Toure, with Arsene Wenger keen on signing Fulham's Brede Hangeland.

http://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/football/2009/06/03/gareth-barry-will-make-a-grovelling-apology-to-aston-villa-fans-over-manchester-city-move-115875-21410235/

A letter is a weird move but he needs to say something.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,219 ✭✭✭invincibleirish

oh dear i dunno what to make of this, if he has some things to get off his chest about MON or Lerner then we're in for a hell of a long summer.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,154 ✭✭✭✭Neil3030

oh dear i dunno what to make of this, if he has some things to get off his chest about MON or Lerner then we're in for a hell of a long summer.

If anything it was Lerner who suggested he do this. U.S. sportsman do it all the time when they leave an established position at a club, helps smooth over any ill will generated by the move.

Full page ad in a midlands paper will cost him what... 2-3k? Small change compared to his new salary...

That makes it even worse Neil3030! Barry can say what he wants it doesn't matter. Actions speak louder then words and all that.

Well that couldn't work for him in anyway. It's for the fans so his image isn't tainted forever, trying to salvage a bit of it. Doubt he'll say anything against Villa. "I had stagnated, needed a change, fans were always brilliant, blah blah blah"

That makes it even worse Neil3030! Barry can say what he wants it doesn't matter. Actions speak louder then words and all that.

Come on now, I think we all know each other well enough round here, you can just call me Neil ;).

I agree it is a risky move with such a potential backlash, but sure we'll wait and see what he has to say...

Dear Villa fans,

100k a week.

regards - Gareth Barry

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,081 ✭✭✭Fromvert

Steven Gerrard if he wasn't so intimidated by the Liverpool fans who persuaded him to stay by death threats.

A wonderful club.;)

Sorry to take this thread OT but this comment is complete and utter tripe and is unprovoked jab at Liverpool fans and the smilie at the end makes no difference. I could talk about some of those Chelsea fans but I wont.

The Barry move baffles me, a sidewards move IMO. Fair enough if he moved to one of the top four but he didnt he went to a club that finished below Villa and for what ££'s. He will deserve all the abuse he gets from the Villa fans.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,335 ✭✭✭death1234567

Neil3030 wrote: »
    Full page ad in a midlands paper will cost him what... 2-3k? Small change compared to his new salary...
    I imagine it will be free as no doubt it will sell alot of papers. I just hope its not the in the mail.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,535 ✭✭✭Raekwon

I was actually only talking to my mate (Liverpool fan) over the weekend who was convinced that Barry would be going to Anfield this summer. I said out of spite that Man City could rob him from under their noses and low and behold a few days later he signs for City :eek: I couldn't believe it!

This is definitely a sideways step for Barry and actually reminds of of the Garth Southgate saga from 2001 where he insisted on leaving Villa for a bigger club and European football and moved to Middlesbrough instead.

Well at least it was done and dusted really quickly now it's over to MON and RL to show the fans that we still mean business and sign a few quality players (no more Knights, Harewoods & Heskeys thank you very much!)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,323 ✭✭✭Savman

barrymoney.jpg

I lol'd :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,420 ✭✭✭Doodee

I don't see what all the fuss is about. If he wanted more money then it's a good thing that he is gone.

I just hope we get those quality MF and CB's that have been rumoured.

Petrov for captain?

Also, Mr. Alan, who is this 3rd best player you are talking about? Carew?
    Our best player last season was Petrov, hands down.

Doodee wrote: »

Also, Mr. Alan, who is this 3rd best player you are talking about? Carew?
    Our best player last season was Petrov, hands down.
    Of course it's Petrov. Or Carew maybe? Couldn't have been that other Young Player Of The Year fellow anyway. We've a team of donkeys now, apparently.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,452 ✭✭✭Time Magazine

The Letter
    After all the speculation over the last 12 months, I want the chance to explain my decision to the Villa fans.

Firstly I want to thank them for the incredible support I have received over the last 12 years, this football club has been a huge part of my life, I joined as a 16-year-old boy and now I am moving on as a 28-year-old man with a wife and two children.

A lot of things have changed in that time, players, management and a chairman - but every season bar none, whether we have been bottom half, mid table or challenging for Europe, the support myself and the team have received has been fantastic.

My one huge regret is that during my time at this club we have not brought the fans the success they deserve. I obviously have to take my share of responsibility that we have not been good enough to win trophies.

I feel the club is in the best position it has been in during my time here, I think we have a group of very good young players, we have a fantastic chairman who is here for the good of the club and one of the best managers in the game.

Obviously people will ask why I am leaving if I feel like that.

I have honestly been very undecided what to do, the manager and the whole club have bent over backwards to try and persuade me to stay and made me a fantastic offer which I am extremely grateful for.

But, after changing my mind lots of times, I came to the decision that the time was right for me and for the club to part company. I need a new challenge, I have a massive fear of going stale and falling into a comfort zone.

I believe the deal is a good one for the club, I am sure the manager will use the money well to strengthen the team and the club will go from strength to strength.

I am also excited now about my new challenge, a lot of people will question my decision to join Manchester City, but they were the club prepared to meet the valuation, which for a 28-year-old with a year left on his contract I think shows how much they wanted me.

Once I had spoke to Mark Hughes there was nowhere else I wanted to go, I was also desperate to avoid any long drawn out saga.

I feel I am joining a club that will seriously challenge to win major honours. People might doubt that, but I am convinced with the plans the club has short term and long term.

The backing the manager will receive from the owners tells me that we will be a major force.

Also the World Cup next year has always been a major part of my thinking. I feel at Manchester City I will get the chance to play regularly in my best position and play a big part in a successful side.

Time will tell if I am right or not, but those are my reasons.

I have grown bored of all the speculation surrounding me over the last 12 months and I am sure all the fans have as well, I am glad I never left last summer because I would have left under a huge cloud.

This year I feel things are different, I haven’t used an agent. I have discussed things with my best friend (agent Michael Standing) but ultimately made my own choices.

I believe the situation has been handled properly by everybody involved. Once again I have to thank the manager and the club for that.

I genuinely wish the club all the best for the future and want to thank everyone who has helped and supported me in my time here.

For the rest of my life Aston Villa will be the first result I look for.

Thanks for everything.

Gareth Barry.

No shocking revelations there.

I haven’t used an agent. I have discussed things with my best friend (agent Michael Standing)

But this just sounds stupid.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,951 ✭✭✭✭Villain

Well at least he hasn't had a go at MON or Lerner, although I suppose we all know how good they are already

The Letter

= Sick of the club, went for the cash, please don't hate me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Once I had spoke to Mark Hughes there was nowhere else I wanted to go, I was also desperate to avoid any long drawn out saga.

I feel I am joining a club that will seriously challenge to win major honours. People might doubt that, but I am convinced with the plans the club has short term and long term.

The backing the manager will receive from the owners tells me that we will be a major force.

That didn't take long (he could have said City just to indicate Villa are still in his mind!)

mike65 wrote: »
    That didn't take long (he could have said City just to indicate Villa are still in his mind!)

Maybe he's referring to him and Sparky? In a romantic context? And the owners are cool with it?

Who cares at this stage? GB you're a charlatan, in it for the moolah and we all know it. Besides we have Petrov!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,369 ✭✭✭✭SlickRic

that letter stinks of trying to cover his ass, obviously.

pathetic.

verging on patronising to the Villa fans who stood by him.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,879 Mod ✭✭✭✭Bounty Hunter

meh im not going to boo the man when he retuns to VP but im not really going to remember the guy whos been a good servant for over a decade as well as a club great or anything and that is what id hoped would happen back before his NOTW eff up last summer

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,246 ✭✭✭Esse85

We should forget about him now, he's an ex player, nothing to do with us or this thread anymore.

Id rather speculate on who'll be his replacement now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,078 ✭✭✭theCzar

It annoys me when players go for money and not for the club but it drives me mad when they pretend the contrary is true. Joining a club that failed to qualify for europe to win major honours? I agree that's patronising.

EDIT: I'm reminded of Krusty in the springfield film awards: "Lets just say it moved me... TO A BIGGER HOUSE"

Esse85 wrote: »

Id rather speculate on who'll be his replacement now.

Replacement? pah! its time for this man to step up and live up to the hype

moustapha_salifou.jpg

Truly a god amongst us mere mortals

all hail SALIFOU!!!!!!

He almost looks like George Boateng there!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,924 ✭✭✭shoutman

He almost looks like George Boateng there!

Because he is black?

joke

Some food for thought:
    If Gareth Barry thought he received some rough treatment during a pre-season friendly at Walsall last summer, when he made his first appearance for Aston Villa after publicly criticising Martin O'Neill and expressing his desire to join Liverpool, he has seen nothing yet. The level of vitriol that accompanied the news that he had signed for Manchester City yesterday suggests Birmingham City fans will be more welcome at Villa Park next season than the England international.

In the eyes of many Villa supporters Barry has committed a crime by reneging on his declaration that Champions League football was driving his desire to leave the Midlands. Fans who voiced their discontent 12 months ago would probably have forgiven him for moving to Liverpool this year after having another stab at taking Villa into the top four, but joining a club that finished 10th in the league and is synonymous with oil and money rather than trophies and Europe does not sit comfortably at all, even after 12 years service.

With a six-figure weekly wage on offer, Barry has been called everything from a "money-grabber" to a "mercenary" and plenty of things in between, yet scratch beneath the surface and the more open-minded Villa supporter might dare to consider that the decision the midfielder has made this week was not solely about money. Manchester City, whether Villa fans like it or not, are far better equipped to challenge for major honours over the next few years than the club Barry has left behind.

O'Neill, with justification, has suggested that finishing sixth again next season will represent progress because of other emerging clubs but Manchester City's owners have the resources to pursue much grander ambitions. Whether they achieve them or not remains to be seen but if they come up short it will not be because of a lack of finance. Yet drop down the M6 to Villa Park and the chairman Randy Lerner, who is not in the same financial league as Sheikh Mansour at Manchester City, has suggested there will be "modest spending" this summer after three years of investment.

Indeed Barry could have been forgiven for believing that Villa, after back-to-back sixth-placed finishes, have hit a glass ceiling that City are capable of crashing through. And, against that backdrop, why would he not want to spend what promises to be the best years of his career at a club that has the wherewithal to compete with Manchester United, Liverpool, Chelsea and Arsenal? Some will argue that Barry should have only left Villa to join one of the latter but that misses the point that it was City alone who met the £12m asking price.

Liverpool had their opportunity last summer, when Rafael Benítez was unable to get his hands on the £18m required to sign Barry, but in the same breathe managed to get hold of £20m to bring in Robbie Keane. O'Neill admitted last month that he would have been "hurt" by that episode if he was in Barry's position. Both parties also indicated that there was no desire for a repeat of the protracted nature of last summer's saga, something that will have counted against Liverpool with so much again depending on Xabi Alonso's future.

O'Neill acknowledged after their public falling out that plenty of other players would have sulked and proved to be a disruptive influence in the wake of not getting the transfer they wanted but Barry, to his credit, set off on a different path. Having been suspended from pre-season training in July and stripped of the captaincy following his ill-advised decision to go public with his grievances, he was back in the Villa line-up at the start of the season and had the captain's armband on again come Arsenal's visit on Boxing Day.

Indeed the fact that O'Neill was willing to effectively write off £12m and allow Barry to stay on for another season and then leave for nothing next summer when his contract would have expired is an indication of just how highly he valued his contribution. With Martin Laursen also severing his ties with the Midlands club after being forced into retirement, there are two huge holes for the Villa manager to fill before he even begins to address the need to strengthen the depth of last season's squad.

Barry's presence will be sorely missed. He might not have weighed in with many goals for a player operating with a fair amount of freedom in the centre of the field but it was his composure in possession and the ability to pick and execute a pass with wonderful precision that provided the springboard for many of Villa's best attacking moves over the last couple of seasons. Neither Nigel Reo-Coker nor Steve Sidwell, who might hope for more opportunities in the wake of Barry's departure, possesses the same attributes.

This morning Barry admitted that Villa "bent over backwards" to keep him and it is understood he was offered an £80,000-a week-contract to stay. While there is no doubt that Manchester City have improved those terms and that Barry's head will have been turned by the figures on the table, Mark Hughes, because of the grotesque sums at his disposal, can also offer something beyond Villa's reach: a realistic chance of breaking into the top four. Villa fans, however, are unlikely to see it that way.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/football/blog/2009/jun/03/gareth-barry-manchester-city-aston-villa

I think this reply from Birmingham Mail Editor Steve Dyson sums up my mood pretty aptly.
    Dear Gareth

FOOTBALLERS come and footballers go, but not many take the trouble to write to supporters when they leave a club.

The majority disappear and kiss their new team badge without a thought for the loyal thousands left behind.

So your decision to write to Villa fans explaining your decision to join Manchester City is a welcome one.

Your words describing how you joined Villa as a 16-year-old boy and during the past 12 years have seen many changes at the club will stir fond memories for those who chanted your name as you matured from a promising youngster into an international midfielder respected and admired throughout the game.

They will share your regret that the team and its fans didn't enjoy the success they deserved during that time. And they will pray that you are right when you say that Villa are in a great position to push on.

You are right when you say the manager will be able to strengthen the team with the money generated by the deal but, it has to be said, players like you, Gareth, are few and far between.

Many will understand the turmoil you went through as you struggled to decide what was best for you and your career. They will understand your fears of going stale and slipping into the comfort zone.

But fewer are going to be convinced by the reasons you give for joining Manchester City, a club that has often promised much but delivered nothing.

Gareth, Villa fans could have stomached you joining one of the truly big clubs like Liverpool or Arsenal.

But and no disrespect is meant here Manchester City are hardly one of the giants of the game, are they?

They might have a fortune to spend, but that doesn't guarantee success. Your words don't wash and many supporters will suspect that money lies at the root of your decision.

That said, this city and newspaper is grateful for 12 years of fine service and we send our sincere best wishes for the rest of your career.

Thanks for the memories... but don't pretend that cash has not tempted you!

The Editor

"why would he not want to spend what promises to be the best years of his career at a club that has the wherewithal to compete with Manchester United, Liverpool, Chelsea and Arsenal?"
    Fail.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13,249 ✭✭✭✭Kinetic^

Carvalho is looking to get 1st team football, link here. Would be a good signing if he were to become available.

Reports suggest Arsenal have signed Vermaelen
    http://www.sport.co.uk/news/Football/20927/Arsenal_sign_Ajax_stopper.aspx

Looks like another one got away.

According to Sky Sports, Lucas Neil as good as gone from West Ham and he's a free agent. Carvalho, same age as Neil, has also said he'd be open to a move away from Chelsea.

Now, forget Barry, Villa need some top f*cking defenders after the shambles that's been on show in every game since February. I reckon either of these two would be good signings to plug that hole. Sure, Neil would want mad wages but what Randy would pay out there would be saved by not paying a massive transfer fee.

Thoughts?

Carvalho yes
    Neill no

Simple as that.

Reports suggest Arsenal have signed Vermaelen
    http://www.sport.co.uk/news/Football/20927/Arsenal_sign_Ajax_stopper.aspx

Looks like another one got away.

Could be true but that site is generally full of crap.

I do not want Lucas Neill at AVFC.:mad:

Carvalho would be very nice indeed, but I amn't going to hold my breath.

Vermaelen to Arsenal? Ugh... this is going to be a looooongggg f***ing summer....

Carvalho will stay at the top level of European level of football, probably go to Jose.

I think i can safely say there is no chance of Carvalho coming to Villa, call it a hunch.

• Advertisement

I see Villa scouts are keeping tabs on the new Moustapha Salifou :rolleyes:

Link

A Jamaican playing in Norway, does it get more random than that?

JPA wrote: »

Eh... how bout a Norweigan who looks like a Jamaican??!

john-carew.jpg

JPA wrote: »

Hopefully he stays there too! I'd prefer an established player.

A Jamaican in Norway? why not sure

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,951 ✭✭✭DSB

I think i can safely say there is no chance of Carvalho coming to Villa, call it a hunch.

Haha yeah I gasped when I saw people discussing it too.

• Advertisement

Obafemi Martins' agent has claimed the Newcastle striker is a target for three Premier League clubs.

Martins could well be the first big name to leave St James' Park as the club try to trim their expensive squad in readiness for a bid to win promotion from the Championship at the first time of asking.

The player's agent told Sky Sports News that three of the Premier League's upper echelon are interested in taking the player away from Tyneside, with Arsenal, Everton and Aston Villa all believed to be interested in the striker.

The player has been close to leaving the Magpies in previous transfer windows but showed renewed commitment and played through pain of a groin injury to try and preserve Newcastle's top-flight status.

Martins, 24, joined the Magpies in 2006 from Italian giants Inter Milan for £10m, and has scored 28 league goals during his time with Newcastle.

Very similar to Gabby and could be rotated with him to keep him on his toes. If we got him for around €8m and got €2 back for Harewood off say Wolves then I'd be happy enough with that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,335 ✭✭✭death1234567

Raekwon wrote: »
    Martins, 24, joined the Magpies in 2006 from Italian giants Inter Milan for £10m, and has scored 28 league goals during his time with Newcastle..
    What's their source for his age? He's alot nearer 30 than he is 24. No thanks.LINK

What's their source for his age? He's alot nearer 30 than he is 24. No thanks.LINK

I'm sure being a professional sports man he would need to have a full health history and a time and place of birth would most likely be part of that.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Obafemi_Martins

Okay crap source but he could definitely fill the void left by Garth Barry. Would he be willing to move to Villa Park though???

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,043 ✭✭✭✭L'prof

Raekwon wrote: »
    Okay crap source but he could definitely fill the void left by Garth Barry. Would he be willing to move to Villa Park though???

Would be a great buy for Villa, but he was too big for Arsenal after they came close to winning the league and moved to Barcelona. Make of that what you will.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement