Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Aston Villa Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,246 ✭✭✭Esse85

I thought Hleb was rubbish, not what we need.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,043 ✭✭✭✭L'prof

Esse85 wrote: »

Each to their own, he's far from rubbish though!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,793 ✭✭✭✭JPA

Raekwon wrote: »
    Very similar to Gabby and could be rotated with him to keep him on his toes. If we got him for around €8m and got €2 back for Harewood off say Wolves then I'd be happy enough with that.

2 euro is a bit optimistic for Harewood eh?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,154 ✭✭✭✭Neil3030

If Obafemi Martins is 24 then I'm Jack Bauer.

Hleb would be a fantastic signing imo, but not a direct replacement for GB. Rotating him, Milner and Young would indeed pose some havoc for other teams but in 4-5-1 that'd still require a holding midfielder to play alongside Petrov. NRC maybe?

NRC---Petrov

Milner
    Young
    Hleb

Carew

No use having those guys up front if they never get the ball though....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,924 ✭✭✭shoutman

I had a dream last night that I was reading the paper and it said Jan Klass-Huntelaar signed for Villa.... hmmm quite the randomness.

From The Times:
    Aston Villa have bid £7million for José Manuel Jurado, according to reports in Spain. The 22-year-old Atlético Madrid midfield player was on loan at Real Mallorca last season. Villa have also been linked with Nenad Milijas, the Serbia and Red Star Belgrade midfield player for whom Wolverhampton Wanderers are thought to have made a bid.

We're linked with Tom Huddlestone today. Meh doesn't cover it.

We must be linked with at least 50 players by now.

Make that 51:
    According to reports coming out of Buenos Aires tonight, Champions League hopefuls Aston Villa have lodged a €12m bid for highly-rated 19-year-old striker Eduardo Salvio of CA Lanus.

Salvio has had an excellent 2008/09 Primera Division season, scoring an impressive nine goals in 26 starts, helping Lanus finish 4th in the Apertura.

This year Lanus are enjoying an excellent Clausura campaign, as Lanus currently sit top of the table with three games remaining, and Salvio himself has had a creditable input scoring five goals in 10 games.

Comparisons have been made with fellow countryman Ezequiel Lavezzi of Napoli, who is very similar to Salvio in that he likes to play off the main striker, float around between the midfield and the forward line and be very creative.

Villa aren't the only admires of Salvio, as Italian side Juventus have been a long admirer of the younger starlet. It is believed Aston Villa will use the money from the sale of Gareth Barry, to step ahead of Juventus as they try and improve their squad depth to mount a closer challenge for the Champions League next season.

Source: southamericanfootball.co.uk

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,219 ✭✭✭invincibleirish

Almost certainly just another fanciful rumour, although i remember when a player last came to VP from Buenos Aires, hard to believe its been nearly a decade. I feel old.

Whatever about reporting a team "is interested in" or "would like to sign" a player (seeing as this is almost impossible to prove or disprove), but if a news source clearly states: Team X have bid Y for player Z, and this is later proven to be complete rubbish, surely if the teams rallied together and sued any paper or website that reports such nonsense it would reduce the amount of fanciful rumours flying around? I mean, surely Villa could very easily disprove that they bid 12m for this kid and if they then slap an expensive lawsuit on southamericanfootball.com, the latter would think twice before reporting a rumour in future, no?

• Advertisement

At least it isn't O'Neill killin the buzz for once...
    Alexander Hleb's agent has played down talk linking the Barcelona man with a move to Aston Villa.

Reports have suggested Aston Villa are keen on bringing the former Arsenal ace back to the Premier League.

Hleb has endured a frustrating first season at Barcelona after failing to hold down a regular place in Pep Guardiola's side.

The Belarus international was believed to be considering his future at Camp Nou, but Hleb's representative, Uli Ferber, insists the 28-year-old is not thinking of leaving and that there has been no enquiry from Villa.

"We don't know anything about any request from Aston Villa," Ferber told skysports.com.

"Even though he is not playing regularly he is not thinking about changing teams.

"He wants to stay at Barcelona and fight for his place."

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,452 ✭✭✭Time Magazine

Neil3030 wrote: »
    Team X have bid Y for player Z, and this is later proven to be complete rubbish, surely if the teams rallied together and sued any paper or website that reports such nonsense it would reduce the amount of fanciful rumours flying around?

Sue them for what, though? It's one thing to libel an organisation ("Aston Villa hire paedophile") but probably another to report something not true ("Aston Villa have bid for Emile Heskey").

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,016 ✭✭✭mirwillbeback

Sue them for what, though? It's one thing to libel an organisation ("Aston Villa hire paedophile") but probably another to report something not true ("Aston Villa have bid for Emile Heskey").

You know a paedo might have done a better job.;)

You know a paedo might have done a better job.;)

That just makes no sense.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,535 ✭✭✭Raekwon

JPA wrote: »
    2 euro is a bit optimistic for Harewood eh?

Haha :D That is the best typo ever! I''m so proud of myself :P

The return of the ITK thread on VT and what is it saying?

Benjani for £2m!

I'd believe it tbh it fits the bill of a MON signing.

Jaysis I remember Benjani... what the hell happened to him??

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,369 ✭✭✭✭SlickRic

he had one good season, after some verging on plain awful ones for Portsmouth.

Hughes took him to City.

he got injured.

he's never reached the standard of that one season again.

One of Svens more curious signings for sure, i actually considered it to be an ok squad signing until i saw that he was 31. Thats 2 30 something goal shy strikers MON would have bought to the club in 6 months. I hope its just speculation.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,323 ✭✭✭Savman

He was just an illusion.

Seriously, what a poor signing he would really be.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,391 ✭✭✭One Cold Hand

Esse85 wrote: »

No I think he's a very good player. Would be a very good replacement for GB. He's certainly a lot more capable going forward than GB, which is what we need.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,420 ✭✭✭Doodee

According to SSN Chelsea are eyeing up Ashley.
    Aston Villa's Ashley Young is among new Chelsea boss Carlo Ancelotti's top targets, skysports.com understands.

A host of top names have been linked with a move to Stamford Bridge since the arrival of Ancelotti, but Young is believed to be high on the Italian's agenda.

Young enjoyed another fantastic season for Villa last term, being named in the PFA team for a second successive year and also scooping the Young Player of the Year award.

Chelsea have held a long-term interest in Young and they see him as a key addition to their squad as they look to rebuild their ageing side.

Guus Hiddink is thought to have recommended Chelsea move for Young as the club look to bring in more English talent.

Young has established himself as one of the most exciting players in the Premier League since bursting onto the scene at Watford and he would fit into Chelsea's plans of trying to introduce a brand of more attractive attacking football at Stamford Bridge.

Aston Villa chief Martin O'Neill is a big fan of Young and would be loath to lose the England international, having already seen Gareth Barry leave Villa Park this summer.

However, Villa could find it hard to resist a big money offer for Young, with Chelsea hoping to lure him away with the prospect of UEFA Champions League football.

And 'arry was after Barry also. I really Hope MON starts penning some names real soon cause otherwise it will just get worse with speculation :(

Hleb is a quality player in fairness.

I fear for Ashley Young but you have to wonder how long we can hold players of his ability unless we're challenging for honours. The 'you know who' affair will pale in comparison if they allow Ashley to leave. There will be season tickets handed back tbh.

These kind of media headlines are definitely going to make people nervous & uneasy, especially in the aftermath of the you know how affair, but Lerner & MON need to seize the initiative now and show that they mean business. Buy some players and indicate the clubs ambitions beyond vague pre prepared media releases.

These kind of media headlines are definitely going to make people nervous & uneasy
    That's putting it mildly.

/counts days 'til 31st August

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 845 ✭✭✭V1llianous

Rumours circulating the press in the Midlands are that Freddie Bouma is going to have to retire following his horrific injury in the intertoto cup. :(

Ah for ****s sake!! not Bouma as well

V1llianous wrote: »
    Rumours circulating the press in the Midlands are that Freddie Bouma is going to have to retire following his horrific injury in the intertoto cup. :(
    This is not a good start to the Summer.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,951 ✭✭✭DSB

30 million and Young can be sold, anything less and O'Neill may aswell step down.

DSB wrote: »
    30 million and Young can be sold, anything less and O'Neill may aswell step down.
    Bentley bait for Spurs Ash bid

By PAT SHEEHAN

Published: Today
    rigTeaserImage
    HARRY REDKNAPP has offered David Bentley plus £8million for Aston Villa winger Ashley Young.

Villa boss Martin O'Neill this week sold Gareth Barry to Manchester City.

And he will be desperate to hold on to Young, 23, who is also a top target for Chelsea.

Tottenham chief Redknapp admitted he was priced out of buying midfielder Barry, who signed for City in a £12m switch.

Yet it has not stopped him going back for Young - although he knows Chelsea could offer the PFA Young Player of the Year far higher wages than Spurs could afford.

Winger Bentley, 24, has had a nightmare since his £15m switch from Blackburn last summer, failing to hold down a first-team spot and losing his place in the England squad.

http://www.thesun.co.uk/sol/homepage/sport/football/2467653/Bentley-bait-for-Spurs-Ash-bid.html

:pac: Oh Harry, you are quite the joker. Now **** off.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,879 Mod ✭✭✭✭Bounty Hunter

Screw that!

maybe it is a fair valuation with a few million of we dont wanna sell tax on top bt MON/RL/Aton Villa need to know that after Laursen retiring and Barry leaving if Young left it would send out the worst possible signal, show a total lak of ambition, anger the fans and make Villa a far less attractive place for potetial new signings.

I would want MON to put an asking price that only an idiot would pay on Young like 40+million then if he was sold we couldent really argue tbh.

didnt Young only recently sign a new contract? its not like Barry leaving is a real shocker or gamechanger I cant see him wanting to leave atm especially when he is developing so well at Villa and if anything i can only imagine MON acting like he did last Summer with Brry and being a stubborn bollocks and saying gve me stupid money or eff off away fromm player.
    Oh Harry, you are quite the joker. Now **** off.

that better be exactly MON's response.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,249 ✭✭✭✭Kinetic^

Redknapp can throw in defore as well tbh, otherwise gtfo!

If Young was sold there would be riots. Literally.
    I just can't see it happening at all.
    If this is true then it would appear to be melted face playing games.

Kinetic^ wrote: »
    Redknapp can throw in defore as well tbh, otherwise gtfo!

He could throw in White Hart Lane and he could still get ****ed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 54,680 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

not like villa need the money tbh

Actually, agreed 30 million wouldn't be enough for Young considering the symbol he'd represent. 35 million or no deal.

35 million or no deal.

id still go with the no deal option

id still go with the no deal option

Same, lets hope he doesn't have any hissyfits though. Doubt Spurs would turn his head too much anyway.

If Young joins Laursen & Barry out the VP exit door Villa will be closer to the bottom 4 then top 4 next season. As JPA said there would be riots. I'm just waiting for some good news to emerge to soothe our nerves.....any day now.....

If Young joins Laursen & Barry out the VP exit door Villa will be closer to the bottom 4 then top 4 next season. As JPA said there would be riots. I'm just waiting for some good news to emerge to soothe our nerves.....any day now.....

It won't be any day now though will it? There's been one major transfer so far and a couple of low key transfers. Transfers don't generally happen in June so we all need to chill.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 54,680 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

villa should be going for the dutch players at R.Madrid .likes of huntilaar,van der vaart etc

• Registered Users Posts: 2,418 ✭✭✭curry-muff

Id never doubt Martin O Neill, he is one of the wisest managers in football, im not a Villa fan but im certain that he has a few tricks up his sleeve otherwise he wouldnt let the likes of barry and young go.

curry-muff wrote: »
    Id never doubt Martin O Neill, he is one of the wisest managers in football, im not a Villa fan but im certain that he has a few tricks up his sleeve otherwise he wouldnt let the likes of barry and young go.

Well he's certainly not letting Young go.

Oddly all the dutch players at Madrid, Sneijder, VDV, Huntelaar & Drenthe were all strongley linked to Villa before moving to the Bernabeu but although yes id like Villa to atleast enquire about these players I would expect these players to be at a club that offer CL football next season. Would love to be wrong though and see them signing but Sneijder imo especially is an unrealistic target.

Oddly all the dutch players at Madrid, Sneijder, VDV, Huntelaar & Drenthe were all strongley linked to Villa before moving to the Bernabeu but although yes id like Villa to atleast enquire about these players I would expect these players to be at a club that offer CL football next season. Would love to be wrong though and see them signing but Sneijder imo especially is an unrealistic target.

You would think so but "unrealistic" looking transfers do happen a lot.
    We were interested in him it seems and he is almost definitely leaving.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,418 ✭✭✭curry-muff

I could see villa signing van der vaart maybe or drenthe possibly, but unfortunately not schneijder even though id love seeing him in premiership

JPA wrote: »
    You would think so but "unrealistic" looking transfers do happen a lot.
    We were interested in him it seems and he is almost definitely leaving.

i agree and like i said id like us to atleast enquire about these players but Sneijder imo is too good to not be plaing CL football, infact he would probably be the perfect player for AC Milan to buy if they sell Kaka imo. Its not unbelievable tha Villa could get such a player and I want us to try but I would doubt we would be the only side trying it.

VDV is more realistic but even then it would be considerd coup if MON pulled it off.

Drenthe imo is beliveable

Yeah JPA its only June 6th but we're allowed to speculate wildly and fear the worst tis sure the way we're reared. Luckily i hope to start new job soon so i will not be spending all my summer days scanning Villa forums, blogs & news sites for transfer titbits its unhealthy.

And besides i'm getting used to the idea of Sidwell filling the Barry hole and developing into the all action midfielder if worse comes to worse. Can't be that bad can he?

curry-muff wrote: »
    MON is a highly intelligent individual, however he does not have any control whatsoever over the transfer market. If a better/stronger/richer/more successful club come in for your ace in the hole, they will just take them off you without a fight. So in reality, everyone has a price and with the money Chelsea have the very thought of this transfer makes me sick to my stomach tbh. Mainly because we obviously cannot match whatever they could offer.

Now kids, this is what happens when you are not in the CL. Young is a great talent, but doesnt strike me as having any loyalty to Villa and frankly why would he? carrying the team week in week out ffs. Clearly head and shoulders above most of the squad. I would value him, in todays dumb transfer market, as a £25m+ player without a doubt. Sorry Spudheads but You can stick yer Playboy Bentley up yer arse.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,299 ✭✭✭villains77

I hope mon prices him out of a move away. as for bentley and 8m cash f*** off array are you take this piss or what !!

is the bouma rumours true. that could be 4 players gone b4 the start of next season. doesnt look good for the villa if young goes. we allready lost a judas laursen maybe bouma young if he is sold where to next.

would like to see more of sidwell and salifu next season. hope it improves in the summer or i have to think hard bout waste my money on trips over to vp.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement