Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Aston Villa Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,793 ✭✭✭✭JPA

villains77 wrote: »
    I hope mon prices him out of a move away. as for bentley and 8m cash f*** off array are you take this piss or what !!

is the bouma rumours true. that could be 4 players gone b4 the start of next season. doesnt look good for the villa if young goes. we allready lost a judas laursen maybe bouma young if he is sold where to next.

would like to see more of sidwell and salifu next season. hope it improves in the summer or i have to think hard bout waste my money on trips over to vp.

Stop acting like Young will be sold, he won't be.
    Ancellotti doesn't even use wingers.

And as for Salifou? Why would you want to see more of him? He's no good.
    It's no big deal.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,879 Mod ✭✭✭✭Bounty Hunter

Like i said about Barry last Summer - This Summer Ashley Young will NOT leave Aston Villa.

I dont wanna see more of Salifou and although i expect more from Sidwell i dont really wanna see more from him either as I want him to be kept out of the side by Villa's new super dooper creative AM signing like Defour or VDV (please :D)

from the telegraph, Bentley, Downing and Wheater

Tottenham winger David Bentley to be offered fresh start at Aston Villa

Tottenham manager Harry Redknapp is looking to offload David Bentley with Aston Villa likely to offer the former Blackburn Rovers player a shot at redemption after a difficult period at White Hart Lane.

Bentley joined Tottenham last year for a fee of £15 million after they successfully outbid Villa to land his signature.

However, despite early promise, Bentley has failed to live up to expectations in North London and has seen his place in the England squad squandered as a result.

In all, Bentley played just 24 times for Tottenham last season and is currently out of favour with Redknapp, who will reportedly listen to offers as he seeks to accumulate more money to fund his own rebuilding plans.

However, it is highly unlikely that Tottenham will receive the full £15 million back and Villa manager Martin O’Neill would not be prepared to go above £10 million, according to a report in the Star newspaper.

O’Neill is prepared to give Bentley a second chance but only if the price and terms are favourable to Villa, with Bentley’s temperament as much as his ability a cause for concern.

The Villa manager has been promised a sizeable transfer fund to build a team to make another assault on the top four of the Premier League next season.

Owner randy Lerner will hand O’Neill around £30 million and the £12 million received from Manchester City for Gareth Barry will also be channelled in to the squad.

O’Neill has already made enquiries about Middlesbrough pair David Wheater and Stewart Downing.

and a bit less known of a player showing that yes our scouts are at work, translated from Norweigan..

Aston Villa follow Demidov

The RBK (Rosenborg) defender is being closely followed by the premier league club.

Rosenborg's central defender, Vadim Demidov, could become Norway's next foreign export. According to VG's (VG is a newspaper) paper edition, John Carew's employers are interested in the 22 year old.

Previously is became apparent that Fulham had sent scouts to watch Demidov who has recently refused a new contract offer from Rosenborg.

According to Demidov's agent, Jim Solbakken, the interest in him doesn't stop there.

"Many have been to watch Vadim. It's recognition that he's played well but I won't be dropping any names to the media"

Despite having played in every game in Rosenborg's defence, who haven't lost a single match this season, Demidov was left out of the Norway team which plays Macedonia Saturday evening.

also didnt see it here so Guilleme Balage's (sp?) La Liga team of the yearhad this fella in it.
    ROBERTO CANELLA (Sporting Gijon)

La Liga watchers in England first became aware of him this season after his impressive performances at left-back for Gijon have seen him linked with a move to Aston Villa. A product of Sporting's youth academy, he was key to their promotion last year and despite his young age, immediately looked at home in the top flight. He has a good touch, technique and positions himself well - and he's quick... very quick! He's worked his way through the Spanish international youth sides and is destined to replace Joan Capdevila in the national side.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,219 ✭✭✭invincibleirish

£42m sounds good to me, if thats what he's got but how do the Daily Telegraph know? isn't Downing crocked for 6 months after Stan trampled on him?.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 54,680 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

£42m sounds good to me, if thats what he's got but how do the Daily Telegraph know? isn't Downing crocked for 6 months after Stan trampled on him?.

out till christmas i heard

• Advertisement

im fairly sure he is out for the best part of 6 months alright but who knows it could be 5 times easier to sign dowling now than in January.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,246 ✭✭✭Esse85

No point signing a cripple.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,299 ✭✭✭villains77

And as for Salifou? Why would you want to see more of him? He's no good.
    It's no big deal.[/quote]

are you any better then he is ????

as a villa fan the last 20 odd yrs i like to see all our players get a FAIR chance at proving themselves of been able to play in the first team that why i posted that no big deal :D

villains77 wrote:

are you any better then he is ????

as a villa fan the last 20 odd yrs i like to see all our players get a FAIR chance at proving themselves of been able to play in the first team that why i posted that no big deal :D

Am I better than he is? :confused:
    I'm not trying to give you a hard time but the staff know if he's up to playing or even being on the first team bench and he's clearly not and I don't care. I'd love if he morphed into some kind of Essien type but after signing for 200,000 from the Swiss 2nd division, I have my doubts.

Anyway I wish I could switch off from all things Villa for a month or so, but I can't...

no offence taken but i do like the players to be given a chance to stake a claim for the 1st team. and i know what you mean bout switch off for a month id love to do that 2 but i cant lol

• Advertisement

no offence taken but i do like the players to be given a chance to stake a claim for the 1st team. and i know what you mean bout switch off for a month id love to do that 2 but i cant lol
    Well if Salifou isnt performing in training/reserves then MON can hardly play him in the first team.

He's useless, about as successful as Djemba Djemba, move him on please.

• Registered Users Posts: 857 ✭✭✭wynters

'See Man Utd and Everton are supposed to be sniffing around Kyle Naughton now aswell... O'Neill should just pay the asking price and get him in now. We needed another right-back anyway, but if Bouma's latest operation rules him out of the start of the season, then we seriously need cover there if Luke Young may be needed at LB.

If a player is identified as someone who would suit the team, and the asking price isn't extortionate, then just pay the money. No need for a transfer saga, only to end up without the player...? Over a p/ssy £2m? Ask Liverpool.

wynters wrote: »
    'See Man Utd and Everton are supposed to be sniffing around Kyle Naughton now aswell... O'Neill should just pay the asking price and get him in now. We needed another right-back anyway, but if Bouma's latest operation rules him out of the start of the season, then we seriously need cover there if Luke Young may be needed at LB.

If a player is identified as someone who would suit the team, and the asking price isn't extortionate, then just pay the money. No need for a transfer saga, only to end up without the player...? Over a p/ssy £2m? Ask Liverpool.
    Agreed on the transfers, especially for a young player.

I really think we should start planning without Bouma.

• Registered Users Posts: 857 ✭✭✭wynters

Fingers crossed Freddie'll be back, but even if he does there's no guarantee he'll be the player he was...

Naughton is good - reminds me a lot of Clichy. He'll be another Jagielka/Cahill/Lescott type of player - from The Championship who'll make the step up and excel. I'd hate if Naughton turned out to be another player who slips through the net - like the aforementioned players or Hangeland, Boswinga, Vidic...

It's a bit of a double standard by O'Neill refusing to budge on his valuation of Barry last summer, yet on the other hand not meeting the asking price for Naughton??? 'Think Sheffield Utd want £5m/£6m. We've offered £2m. Just pay it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,372 ✭✭✭✭Mr Alan

wynters wrote: »
    It's a bit of a double standard by O'Neill refusing to budge on his valuation of Barry last summer, yet on the other hand not meeting the asking price for Naughton??? 'Think Sheffield Utd want £5m/£6m. We've offered £2m. Just pay it.

Thats no way to conduct business at all & O'Neill knows that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,951 ✭✭✭✭Villain

Mr Alan wrote: »
    Thats no way to conduct business at all & O'Neill knows that.
    LOL I know he's nearly going down to the level of Benitez.

Its probably just the first of many offers

I think we'll sign Owen. Anyone agree?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,249 ✭✭✭✭Kinetic^

JPA wrote: »

FFS MON, DEFENDERS! WE NEED DEFENDERS!

woudent be shocked, I dont want him but if he does sign (and will have to take a massive wage cut to do so), I will back him and hope he gets fully fit proves me wrong and rediscovers his form cos he can be a true out and out goal scorer.

Aston Villa are ready to swoop for striker Michael Owen
    Jun 8 2009 by Bill Howell, Birmingham Mail
    Comments (4)Recommend VILLA boss Martin O’Neill is ready to offer former England striker Michael Owen almost £3million a season.

O’Neill is believed to have prepared a two-year contract worth £55,000 a week in order to tempt the Newcastle man to Villa Park.

He wants to re-ignite the partnership 29-year-old Owen enjoyed with former Liverpool and England strike partner Emile Heskey.

Villa are also believed to have drawn up a further 12-month option but there will be a fall-back in case of Owen’s chronic injury record resurfacing in that the deal will be reviewed in 12 months, dependant on appearances and goals.

There is no guarantee Villa’s offer to Owen will be successful but it will certainly put them in a commanding position.

Owen’s value and profile has fallen significantly since his £16million move from Real Madrid to Newcastle four years ago, but not sufficiently enough to allow Villa a free run on his signature.

There has been speculation that Owen is not keen to blight the memory of his eight years at Liverpool by playing for their city neighbours Everton, but David Moyes is also rumoured to be ready to make a move.

Owen will also have a number of offers from abroad with his contract set to run out on Tyneside on June 30, with Roma reportedly ready to pounce.

Owen has endured a miserable four years at Newcastle, scoring 29 goals in 71 appearances.

He looked a forlorn figure when he arrived on the field as a late substitute at Villa Park on the final day of the season after starting just 21 league matches and scoring eight goals.

Meanwhile, former Villa midfielder Gareth Barry, who scored his second goal for England on his 30th appearance, admitted his relief as a hectic week ended on a high following his £12million switch from Manchester City.

“It was a completely different week to what I am used to,” he said.

“Having spent so long at one club I wasn’t used to that sort of week.

“But once everything was signed earlier in the week it was time to get the job done and my focus was on England.

“We got three points and I’m glad it all ended well.”

Barry can now put his feet up after picking up a yellow card which rules him out of Wednesday’s clash with Andorra at Wembley.

“I’m slightly disappointed to now miss the game on Wednesday, as I have been on a run of games for the England manager, but there is enough in the camp to win that one,” Barry said.

“Once we win on Wednesday we are nearly there. But Croatia will be a massive game, especially after what happened before.”

• Advertisement

You forgot to delete the second part of that article BH, i wouldn't want to be reporting you for going off topic now would we?:p

If Owen has goals in him then fair enough, but if he shoots blanks or gets crocked we know who to blame for signing him. As its Howell hopefully its BS.

Being super mega positive and also jumping the gun there is nothing to lose from signing Owen. Except wages.

I get the feeling that Newcastle really destroyed his confidence, he never seemed happy up there, and of course the merry go round and general madness didn't help. We have very good facilities at Villa to cope with injuries, players never seem to get niggly muscle injuries. Know one really knows if he could ever be what he was again but it's worth a shot.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,154 ✭✭✭✭Neil3030

Good news for once, better than any signing imo:
    CAREW COMMITTED TO VILLA

Aston Villa striker John Carew has played down speculation linking him with a move to Manchester City and insisted: "I will be here next season."

Carew is reported to also be on Mark Hughes's radar following his £12 million capture of Villa midfielder Gareth Barry.

The Norway international was in outstanding form after returning from a back problem in February and finished as Villa's leading scorer for the second season running with 15 goals.

Carew said: "There are always rumours when the window opens. One week it could be me, one week it could be Ashley Young or whoever.

"But I am so happy here. I love everyone here. I don't see any reason for anything else to happen.

"I know I am part of the manager's plans. Rumours that come up, we can't do anything about that. I am happy here. I can't see why I should move.

"I am used to speculation. I have been in the game so many years. I take it as a compliment if clubs are looking at you but I don't relate to it at all. I am happy here.

"That is what is important for me. I have got the current games with the national team and then we are back in early July for pre-season training."

Villa boss Martin O'Neill is being linked with a summer move for out-of-contract Newcastle striker Michael Owen.

But it would mean taking their wage structure to a new level to match Owen's current six-figure salary - or for the one-time England striker to take a pay cut.

Villa showed their intentions when they offered Barry £80,000 a week to sign a new deal before he opted to make the switch to Eastlands.

Heskey was on SSN sayin he would love to play with Owen again.

If we got him on a pay as you play deal then id gladly take him, i just dont want him to join us, get injured and still collect his big fat wages.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,391 ✭✭✭One Cold Hand

The reason I'd be worried about Owen signing is that I reckon MON will insist on trying out Heskey with him at the start of next season. This may have worked for a few England games years ago, but I'm pretty sure it won't now. Would also be doubly harsh on Big John, who deserves to be the big man up front.

Would be good to have Carew and Owen starting up front, with Gabby's pace coming off the bench with 15/20mins to go if need. Heskey can clean all their boots.

The reason I'd be worried about Owen signing is that I reckon MON will insist on trying out Heskey with him at the start of next season. This may have worked for a few England games years ago, but I'm pretty sure it won't now. Would also be doubly harsh on Big John, who deserves to be the big man up front.

Would be good to have Carew and Owen starting up front, with Gabby's pace coming off the bench with 15/20mins to go if need. Heskey can clean all their boots.

2 target men, Carew and Heskey, 2 fast guys, Gabby and Owen(Well fastish now). Not too bad. Nice bit of competition. I live in hope that Heskey won't be as bad as last season and that having Owen with Gabby will be beneficial in terms of learning from him, having competition and allowing some rotation. Gabby was knackered since Xmas.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,391 ✭✭✭One Cold Hand

Agreed. It would greatly benefit Gabby, playing less games and being more fresh when he does start or come off the bench.

I never thought i would be so blase about having a former European player of the year coming to Villa. Whatever we dress it up, good for Gabby, good for the squad, good for Villas profile, its still a huge risk. Thats 2 injury prone strikers in Carew-Owen & a no scoring one in Heskey.

Call it the silly season but i've just spent the noon watching highlights of Villas early season PL games, there's a top notch striker somewhere inside Gabby, hopefully Owen will bring it out in him in the same manner as Heskeys signing reminded Carew of what he's at Villa for.
    I live in hope that Heskey won't be as bad as last season .

I'm sorry JPA but i don't think he will. Hopefully Heskey will only be deployed by MON next season when absolutely necessary.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,043 ✭✭✭✭L'prof

Owen is a big risk. He's played 70 games for Newcastle, that's 17.5 a season in all competition. Is he worth the risk? Maybe he will pass on experience to the younger players, I just don't know if he'll be able to make an impact.

• Advertisement

MON: No Owen Deal Struck

Martin O'Neill has this evening dismissed stories suggesting Villa have offered Michael Owen a two-year contract.

O'Neill has hit back after newspaper reports suggested the club were ready to hand the England striker almost £3m per season - with a further 12 month option dependent on injuries and goals.

Stay tuned to www.avfc.co.uk for all the confirmed transfer news as it happens.

MON sure hates untruths.

MON hasnt denied interest though.

Todays new links are
    Aston Villa bid for Marseille midfielder Benoit Cheyrou
    Transfer news 09/06/2009

Reports in France this morning have claimed that Aston Villa have bid for Marseille midfielder Benoit Cheyrou who could replace Gareth Barry at Villa Park.

Benoit Cheyrou is the younger brother of former Liverpool midfielder Bruno Cheyrou and is regarded as one of the best uncapped players in French football.

The younger Cheyrou is a left-footed central midfielder who can also play on the left hand side and in an attacking midfield role. He is contracted to OM until the end of the 2010/2011 season and is believed to be worth around eight million euros.

The 28-year-old came through the ranks at Lille before a spell at Auxerre and he joined Marseille at the start of the 2007/2008 season. During the 2008/2009 campaign, Cheyrou scored five goals and provided seven assists in 47 games domestically and in Europe.

Scouts in France describe Cheyrou as a player with "a superb left-foot, who is known for his excellent free-kicks. He brings great balance to the midfield."

Cheyrou’s most recent goal came in the 2-1 win at Lille in April, it can be seen on the video below.

http://www.imscouting.com/global_news_item.aspx?id=2252

and

Villa will also compete with Liverpool in trying to sign Portsmouth defender Sylvain Distin (Daily Mail)

id only want Distin if we go another CB too, hes not bad but we need better to replace Laursen imo

edit found another one altho Villa's name does seem kinda out of place with the otherclubs mentioned
    Alves: Big interest

Bruno Alves has admitted that he has had offers to leave Porto but added that it would take something big to get him to depart the Portuguese champions.

The defender has been strongly linked with a move to Aston Villa in recent weeks while Real Madrid, Barcelona and Inter Milan are all said to be interested.

The 27-year-old has been a late bloomer in world football after being loaned out by Porto on three separate occasions before he finally stamped his authority on the first-team in 2006/2007 season.

Alves saw his stock rise at the weekend when he kept Portugal's faint hopes of qualifying for the World Cup in South Africa next summer alive when he headed a stoppage time winner against Albania.

"It is normal that other European clubs are monitoring our work because of the seasons we have enjoyed," he said.

"I am living during a very good time in my career and if any of the existing offers materialise it will have to be a very good for me and FC Porto.

"I cannot say anything else because there is nothing concrete yet."

Is Sol Campbell out of contract, id take either him or Distin to replace Knight.

We've been linked with many portugeese players in the past and the last one to sigh was Fernando Nelson!

well yes id take either of them to replace Knight but unlike Knight i doubt either would be willing to be 4th choice and we need to replace Laursen

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,951 ✭✭✭DSB

Lets face it the signings will most likely end up being Sean Davis, Joey O'Brien and Danny Murphy.

• Advertisement

DSB wrote: »
    Lets face it the signings will most likely end up being Sean Davis, Joey O'Brien and Danny Murphy.

no, no they wont

Hardly.

As bad as MON is in the transfer market, he'd rather hold onto RL's cash than waste it on that shower.

what does people think if we did go get owen. i know he is injury prone maybe that was casue he was at newcastle and ws down bout it all when tyhings werent working out for him. with a bit of luck he could be a good signing if he is fit, but i would rather him and carew if we did buy him. and heskey and gabby as impact subs we still need to sort out the dodgy defence before the season starts. distin would be a good signing imo

Its a big gamble for MON if he does sign. If it goes well Owen-Carew will bang then in, Villa will be successful and MON will be hailed a genius. But Does Owen have even 20-30 games in him a season? i don't think so.

Esse85 wrote: »
    Hardly.

As bad as MON is in the transfer market, he'd rather hold onto RL's cash than waste it on that shower.

Harewood, Knight, Salifou, Routledge.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,900 ✭✭✭Eire-Dearg

Another summer of "they need lots of players" but it won't materialize. Get your wallet out and bring in some quality.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,924 ✭✭✭shoutman

Just BTW, MON and Randy are both seemingly on short holiday breaks at the moment so there wont be any transfers being done in the next few days (just in case anyones waiting for concrete transfer dealing in the interim.)

Eire-Dearg wrote: »
    Another summer of "they need lots of players" but it won't materialize.

This is the way I see it going too. Another batch like Shorey, Sidwell, Cuellar, Young, Milner (ok granted hes class), Heskey, and Guzan this summer, and Villa can kiss goodbye to any progression.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,900 ✭✭✭Eire-Dearg

This is the way I see it going too. Another batch like Shorey, Sidwell, Cuellar, Young, Milner (ok granted hes class), Heskey, and Guzan this summer, and Villa can kiss goodbye to any progression.
    And already linked with mediocre players like Distin and Owen, a Jermaine Jenas to replace Barry? :confused:

Jenas wouldn't be a bad signing, agreed on the other 2 though, seems like the other teams around us are looking to progress, while we're still looking for players that are just about good enough.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,154 ✭✭✭✭Neil3030

what does people think if we did go get owen. i know he is injury prone maybe that was casue he was at newcastle and ws down bout it all when tyhings werent working out for him. with a bit of luck he could be a good signing if he is fit, but i would rather him and carew if we did buy him. and heskey and gabby as impact subs we still need to sort out the dodgy defence before the season starts. distin would be a good signing imo

The risk isn't just his fitness unfortunately. His blinding pace was one of his strongest assets and that seems all but gone. However that may be due to him being reluctant to put the foot down given his proneness to get injured. However I'd welcome him in so far as he's a name player whose signing would generate a bit of media hype and prestige for the club which in turn could help us attract other higher calibre players. He also seems a decent character and in fairness we have a good track record of extending the career of tampons for at least a year or two longer than the majority expect.

I'd need to see more than Owen to be optimistic about next season though, far more than Owen.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,347 ✭✭✭legs11

Neil3030 wrote: »
    The risk isn't just his fitness unfortunately. His blinding pace was one of his strongest assets and that seems all but gone. However that may be due to him being reluctant to put the foot down given his proneness to get injured. However I'd welcome him in so far as he's a name player whose signing would generate a bit of media hype and prestige for the club which in turn could help us attract other higher calibre players. He also seems a decent character and in fairness we have a good track record of extending the career of tampons for at least a year or two longer than the majority expect.

I'd need to see more than Owen to be optimistic about next season though, far more than Owen.

Villa are fooked next year if they ave to rely on owen..!! His career finished long ago when he did his cruciate for England a few seconds after coming on IIR.

Villa really need better than that if they want to crack the top 4.

I hope there is something in the Delph rumours. Rather pay over the odds for a prospect then provide one last big pay day to a Distin or an Owen.

Nice to see your optimism, I really dont think Jenas would be worthwhile, Id find it hard to list his strengths, a little similiar to NRC only better on the ball maybe, overall fairly average I think.

I think Harewood, Osbourne and Salifou will all leave this summer, I think Knight will stay, mainly because noboby would want him and 2 because he's happy to get a game here and there it seems. I dont expect anyone else to leave, unless of course its to raise funds.

Esse85 wrote: »
    Nice to see your optimism.

I fail to see what there is to be optimistic about at the moment, I mean MON might pull something out of the bag and actually sign top quality players for once but I don't see it myself.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement