Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Aston Villa Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,793 ✭✭✭✭JPA

DSB wrote: »
    I fail to see what there is to be optimistic about at the moment

You'd swear we were Newcastle.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,951 ✭✭✭DSB

JPA wrote: »
    You'd swear we were Newcastle.

Not really, theres a middleground between being optimistic for the future ahead, and knowing the club is in tatters you know? Obviously the club will do well relative to other clubs in the Premiership, but it could have been so much more.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,879 Mod ✭✭✭✭Bounty Hunter

DSB wrote: »
    I fail to see what there is to be optimistic about at the moment,
    This board just like any other is full of people interpreting any piece of news and giving their opinon on what it means for Aston Villa FC. Ever since our bad run started there has been a negative cloud hanging over people here which was added to when we lost our captain and Vice Captain at the end of the Season and now once more we have people questioning if MON is the right man to take us forward and belittling our potential summer singings wheeling out their o so funny old jokes about how we are going to sign Neil Lennon or how Salifou will be the man to replace Barry.

As my name suggests however I am one to look on the bright side and therefore I thought I might make a tread which essentially equates to a well articulated STFU to these people because things arent all gloomy at Villa park infact its the opposite and we should have cause for optimism, a foreign concept for some here but bear with me as I explain why with regards Aston Villa the Future is still bright.

Firstly with regards to our depared leaders: Most of us expected them to be off long before the season ended, its sad to see (especially Laursen) but nobodys expectations should have changed at all due to their departures. How we replace them is what will determine how we move forward. Speakng of which it matters not who is linked to replace them be it Owen, Bentley, Vermaelen ,Jimmy Joe Joe Shabadu or whoever it only matters who we actually sign so please can we all stop going off on one about a lack of ambition just cos a newspaper who have feck all idea what MON is up to reports an interest in a player you dont like. Villa more than any other club keep stum about transfers so until you see a player wearing the claret and blue remember it means nothing about the clubs ambition.

Even if you did want to gleam something to tell you about how Villa will develop as a club from Barrys depaure why must it be negative? as much as I liked Barry for the past decade im not unhappy we sold him. a Barry/Petrov CM combo did not really suit us nor did they compliment each other at all as Villa have been crying out for a creative attacking midfielder (a Merson type maybe) for a long time. Now with our hand forced we will actually persue a player to compliment Petrov in such a way, as Petrov himself has beome less attacking afer adjusting to the Pemiership and a lack of pace.

Even financially there are more positives than negatives that can be taken from letting Barry go. Last year Livrpool were unwilling to pay 18m for him so we got another years service out of him and then sold him for 2/3rds of that price to a club who didnt screw us around last summer despite him being a year older and having only 1/2 as long a contract. tbh considering his contract situation and that everyone in the world knew it I doubt we would have gotten 12m from any other club let alone Lverpool.

Reminder: We are still the same club that have gone from near relegation to consistant top 6 side in only a few seasons. We still have a Chairman willing to invest and back our manager. We are going to have our first back to back european campaigns for years next season. We are an attractive proposition to young players especially english ones as Capello spent more time at Villa Pak than any other ground in the last 2 years. Plus on top of that Villa as a club is run the right way, it is a complete contrast to the Newcastles of this world and that is something to be proud of and also an environment that can breed success. Chopping and changing managers is never the answer ask Man utd, Everton, Arsenal or Liverpool fans about this.

There are many more aspects of the great club we all support i could talk about to emphasise my point, from the success of our reserves, to the improved quality of players lnked to us, or to us having a number of young stars like Millner, Davies, Gabby and Young who can actually still improve. However instead I just ask that you all realise that Villa as a club is on the way up and that predicting its downfall or that of its manager after one or two players leave just so you can seem smart down the road if the worst happens is not the way to go. Instead wait to see who we sign,how they gel and watch other sides like Man City and spurs did this year flater to decieve before casting judgement on Villa's ambition. This all can also be done whilst remembering that at Villa Park, The Future is bright! (the future is claret and blue).

Nice sentiment, but we can't keep relying on Man City and Tottenham underachieving. I don't predict a top 6 finish this season, last season I did. I know I'm jumping the gun alot, and MON could outdo everything hes done before, but my gut feeling is that we're going to be disappointed in the transfer market as usual.

We tailed of at the end but overall id consider last season a relativley good season for Villa since then the only thing that has changd is the loss of Laursen & Barry and as said neither was unexpected and we got a good deal on Barry afaic. When we replace these players and conclude our other summer business then ill be willing to say if im optimistic or like you expect to be dissapointed until then though i see no pont in being unnecisarily negative about the team i support.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,323 ✭✭✭Savman

This all can also be done whilst remembering that at Villa Park, The Future is bright! (the future is claret and blue).
    All together now: Heal the world, make it a better place....

I've said it before and will say it again, there is no room for sentiment in the Premiership. The Top teams won't do us any favours and its really very simple, the teams with the best players will do best. In the century old game, this fundamental principle has never changed. Sure, hardwork and grafters will keep you afloat but you won't really be up there with the big boys.

Get the players in, or get left behind. As for this "future is bright" nonsense, change the record please.

well my point is just lets not all get negative before Villa make any additions, we have only lost Barry and Laursen and who didnt see that coming before the season ended. nothing has changed so lets not assume next season will be a dissapointment yet

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,246 ✭✭✭Esse85

well my point is just lets not all get negative before Villa make any additions, we have only lost Barry and Laursen and who didnt see that coming before the season ended. nothing has changed so lets not assume next season will be a dissapointment yet
    Exactly, the time to b1tch and moan will be when the transfer window ends.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,299 ✭✭✭villains77

heres hoping for an improvement on last season, overall i cant complain much bout last season, apart from the slump. but sure every team has a bad patch. never thaught it would last that long as it did. heres hoping for at least a cup next year long over due some silverwear.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 857 ✭✭✭wynters

I always tend to err on the side of optimism, and I would trust MON to have us all in a much better state of mind come September 1st, but one thing I'm growing increasingly p/ssed off about is that - knowing what the club undoubtedly knew about the likely departure of Barry, and the imminent retirement of Laursen - that some earlier signings were not planned.

There is no reason on earth why clubs cannot do the groundwork - within limits - for what should be their most important signings BEFORE the season ends. So as soon as the window opens - Bang! Gotcha...

The dates of last summers signings were;

Steve Sidwell - July 10th
    Brad Guzan - July 11th
    Brad Friedel - July 26th
    Luke Young - August 7th
    Nicky Shorey - August 7th
    Carlos Cuellar - August 12th
    James Milner - August 29th

Not a bad haul in the end, but they could have been much sooner. How long does it take a player to find a new house, move his family into a new area, and settle in properly? And that's before he kicks a ball and gets used to a new system of play and new team mates? Days before the season starts? 2 weeks after? It's BS. This is valuable time and we should be making signings NOW, before our primary targets are snapped-up by someone else and we're left with 2nd, 3rd or even 4th choice options in certain positions...

Bentley should be signed by now. As should Naughton. And maybe we could have insisted on Richards being used as a makeweight in the Barry deal? That would been our 3 most problematic positions filled, with good players. Leaving us time to concentrate on bolstering the rest of the squad before pre-season starts.

Who knows what goes on behind closed doors and exactly how difficult signings are to tie-up, but no other PL clubs I can think of - especially the Tottenhams and Man Citys of this world, seem to suffer in the same way. They get deals done. Swiftly. No prckin around.

I know it's only been two weeks, but it's the same every window - The people at Villa are nowhere near as pro-active in transfer windows as they are paid to be.

Esse85 wrote: »
    Exactly, the time to b1tch and moan will be when the transfer window ends.
    Ah sure we're used to that by now :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,951 ✭✭✭✭Villain

So how much is Sir Alex going to bid for Young now that he has 94 million Euro for Ronaldo?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,154 ✭✭✭✭Neil3030

Has he so much has expressed a modicum of interest in Young?

How good would this be from the most reliable source there is!!
    http://www.thesun.co.uk/sol/homepage/sport/football/2475559/Brum-hope-to-catch-Knight.html

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,518 ✭✭✭matrim

How good would this be from the most reliable source there is!!
    http://www.thesun.co.uk/sol/homepage/sport/football/2475559/Brum-hope-to-catch-Knight.html

Hopefully not until we get a replacement first. Also would Knight go to Brum, Isn't he a Villa fan himself?

• Advertisement

cant see him joining brum hes a villa fan stranger things have happened in football though

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,391 ✭✭✭One Cold Hand

First agent Ridgewell, now agent Knight....will the Brum ever learn!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,535 ✭✭✭Raekwon

A couple of newspapers and websites are linking Villa with a deal worth £8m that will include Marlon Harewood (so around £6m cash) for Middlesbrough's England Under-21 international David Wheater.

Would be a nice acquisition for the future but I think we need a more experienced CB alongside Davies or Cuellar next season.

Just sign Mellberg FFS.

it be great if mellberg were to come back but will he is another thing. doesnt seem to have played much for juve this season all the same if we were to get him back he be a great signing

• Advertisement

Raekwon wrote: »
    A couple of newspapers and websites are linking Villa with a deal worth £8m that will include Marlon Harewood (so around £6m cash) for Middlesbrough's England Under-21 international David Wheater.

Would be a nice acquisition for the future but I think we need a more experienced CB alongside Davies or Cuellar next season.
    I hope this isnt true, £8m for a player who was CB in a relegated team. Lazy journalism i think, English, U21 and CB, lets link him with MON

There were rumours in the Italian press that Mellberg will sign for Greek side Olympiacos after Juventus signed Fabio Cannavaro. I seriously doubt we'll ever see him back at Villa Park again TBH.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,372 ✭✭✭✭Mr Alan

I hope this isnt true, £8m for a player who was CB in a relegated team. Lazy journalism i think, English, U21 and CB, lets link him with MON

Wheater is a good player tbh.

Mr Alan wrote: »
    Wheater is a good player tbh.
    My original comment still stands.

I see Bolton are prepairing a bid of £10m+ for Sporting Lisbon's Portugese International midfielder Miguel Veloso. That is the sort of ambition I want to see from MON this summer. Infact Villa should hijack that deal or go for his even better midfield partner João Moutinho (although Man Utd could have something to say about that).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,219 ✭✭✭invincibleirish

I see that JPA is going blogging on AVFC.co.uk. A hero of olden times, best news in weeks!.

Raekwon wrote: »
    I see Bolton are prepairing a bid of £10m+ for Sporting Lisbon's Portugese International midfielder Miguel Veloso. That is the sort of ambition I want to see from MON this summer. Infact Villa should hijack that deal or go for his even better midfield partner João Moutinho (although Man Utd could have something to say about that).

now this i agree with.

also i actually find todays paper talk about Villa believable despite the usual sources
    Striker Michael Owen's management company has sent out a 34-page brochure, highlighting his goal-scoring skills and commercial value, to eight Premier League clubs as he looks to resurrect his career following Newcastle's relegation from the Premier League.

Aston Villa, Portsmouth, Everton and West Ham are four of the clubs to have received the document
    (NOTW)

West Ham defender Matthew Upson is wanted by Aston Villa manager Martin O'Neill.
    (The People)

Spurs midfielder David Bentley is set to end his disappointing spell at White Hart Lane by signing for Aston Villa on 1 July.
    (NOTW)

Ive heard from a few people Upson has put his flat up for sale (my house atm is 2 streets from Upton park), something that he probably wouldent do if moving to another London club like Arsenal or Spurs who have been linked to CBs, whilst Villa have apparently ended their interest in Juhasz from Anderlecht and Vermaelen seems Arsenal bound.

wouldnt be surprised also if Villa actually already had a deal done but we wont know till July 1st as the club keeps stum over transfers these days.

all 3 wouldent be me top choices but would be good additions that could potentially improve the side. They also probably (hopefully) would not be alone in signing this summer.

All 3 have the potential to be great signings, but all 3 are injury prone.

Is Upson not in talks over extending his contract with WH?

All 3 have the potential to be great signings, but all 3 are injury prone.

Is Upson not in talks over extending his contract with WH?

dunno maybe he is, I did hear from several people that he put his flat up for sale and that West Ham despite the takeover still most likely will need to sell if they are going to sign a few players this summer and he would be the easiest player to sell that may want out. Of course he could have since been convinced to stay or maybe is just getting a nicer house in London etc

Is Bentley very injury prone?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,219 ✭✭✭invincibleirish

Thumbs up to the Bentley signing. No to Upson because we already have one too many blues rejects and as for Owen he can fack off. A pay per play deal is the only way a club will not lose millions of pounds out of him, the catalogue should have "DAMAGED GOODS" on its front cover.

• Advertisement

We should be definately be making a move for Tevez, if, as according to this report, City are looking to sign him. Admittedly it'd be tough to compete with City, but we have to show ambition and try.

We should be definately be making a move for Tevez, if, as according to this report, City are looking to sign him. Admittedly it'd be tough to compete with City, but we have to show ambition and try.
    I agree with you.

But MON would never even consider it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,335 ✭✭✭death1234567

No we don't. We can't afford Tevez. He'll be sold for over £25m. We won't be spending that much on any single player any time soon. Why would he come to Villa if he has the chance to stay at united or to earn XXX thousand a week at city??? Use your head, he's out of our league by a distance.

skysports.com's transfer clock watch is back

11.38 Reports in Spain suggest that Aston Villa and Portsmouth are considering bids for Valencia's Portugal international defender Miguel Brito this summer.

11.38 Reports in Spain suggest that Aston Villa and Portsmouth are considering bids for Valencia's Portugal international defender Miguel Brito this summer.
    We were linked with him the last few summers as well.

21.50 Conjecture suggests that Aston Villa have tabled a bid for Tottenham duo Tom Huddlestone and David Bentley.

I believe we will sign Bentley and we have been strongley linked to Huddelstone so would not rule it out. However despite me thinking theres a very good player in him I dont want Villa to sign Huddelstone. I would prefer an established player to replace Barry or maybe Defour (although I am only basing that on reports, I havent seen enough of him personally), Huddelstone imo still needs to be developed and I would prefer us to concentrate on Gardner as our developing CM.

its in the Sun but actual quotes from the player
    DAVID BENTLEY has admitted he is talking to Aston Villa in a bid to end his Tottenham agony.

The winger joined Spurs from Blackburn for a record £16million last summer but failed to command a regular first-team place.

Bentley, holidaying in Spain’s swish resort of Puerto Banus where he owns a trendy bar called Buddha Beach, confirmed: “I’m in talks with Villa at the moment."

looks Like Bentley is Villa bound

• Registered Users Posts: 857 ✭✭✭wynters

Yep! That's excellent news.

DAVID BENTLEY has admitted he is talking to Aston Villa in a bid to end his Tottenham agony.

Bentley, holidaying in Spain’s swish resort of Puerto Banus where he owns a trendy bar called Buddha Beach, confirmed: “I’m in talks with Villa at the moment. “I really don’t want to say much more. But we’ll see what happens.

“I’m hopeful of sorting it out as soon as possible.”

Bentley, 24, wants his future decided quickly — and Tottenham are ready to take a big hit by selling him for around £7m.

The last of his 20 Premier League starts came at the end of January in the 3-2 defeat at Bolton. His absence from the Tottenham line-up has also seen him axed from the England fold.

Bentley and his agent have been in talks with high-powered officials at Villa Park for the last fortnight. A source said: “It will all be tied up and resolved by July 1.”

Bentley, a lifelong Spurs fan, has also invested in property on an exclusive development near Estepona as well as his bar business on the Costa del Sol.

He added: “It’s great just to chill out and recharge the batteries.

“I love the beach bar, there is no better place to hang out and have a beer right on the beach.”

• Advertisement

God I hate bentley with his gelled hair and cocky swagger. But saying that if we get him for £7m then its good business. Huddlestonmm can pass a ball and that's a about it. He's fat,slow and pretty useless. Only good as a sqaud player.

No we don't. We can't afford Tevez. He'll be sold for over £25m. We won't be spending that much on any single player any time soon. Why would he come to Villa if he has the chance to stay at united or to earn XXX thousand a week at city??? Use your head, he's out of our league by a distance.

He said he wants leave united, that's why I suggested going for him. And I said it'd be tough. Jeez. I'd just like us to show some ambition, instead of going for Tom frickin Huddlestone.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,518 ✭✭✭matrim

Bentley would be a good signing, although I wonder what it means for Milner, and who will have to play backup. On current form it would have to be Milner starting

As for Huddlestone, he'd be a decent squad player, but we already have sidwell \ Gardner \ NRC and I don't think he's any better than them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 657 ✭✭✭tomred1

Can't believe we aren't going after R.Dunne, he would be a great replacemnet for Laursen.

tomred1 wrote: »
    Can't believe we aren't going after R.Dunne, he would be a great replacemnet for Laursen.
    :eek:

Laursen's toe, perhaps.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,249 ✭✭✭✭Kinetic^

Where did you hear that? I also don't want huddlestone. I think 7m for bentley would be good business tbh.

• Advertisement

Jeez. I'd just like us to show some ambition, instead of going for Tom frickin Huddlestone.
    You have to be realistic. There's no point me going down to the local Porsche dealer telling him I'll give him €10,000 for a 911. That would just be a waste of everyone's time. Same thing with going after Tevez. Someone like Roque santa cruz would be the height of our ambitions this summer. Your right though Tom huddlestone is obese and useless.
    +1. Good defender.

Bentley has denied he's in talks with Villa

afaik his agent has denied it not bentley and as the reports are saying the deal wont be made official till the 1st of July and Villa like to say nothing with regards transfers which are happening I wouldent be surprised if Bentley just spoke too soon whilst off sunning himself beachside.

Unless MON denies it as he likes to do the odd time to stop speculation then im inclined to believe that Villa will sign Bentley the moment the window officially opens (well he may be signed before then but he will be unveiled then imo).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 657 ✭✭✭tomred1

Kinetic^ wrote: »
    Where did you hear that? I also don't want huddlestone. I think 7m for bentley would be good business tbh.

Well in most papers he is being linked with a move to Sunderland.
    link:http://www.irishtimes.com/newspaper/sport/2009/0616/1224248899423.html

I think he is just as good as Laursen.

He's similiar to Laursen in that he's all heart and 100% committed, but overall I feel Laursen is/was a more accomplished defender.

The Man City fans dont seem to rate Dunne, he had a poor season just gone from what I've heard.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement