Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Aston Villa Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,535 ✭✭✭Raekwon

Esse85 wrote: »
    Hopefully because MON rathers Sturridge

There's a £10m 'development fee' slapped on Sturridge's head by Man City, doubt MON would touch him now.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,879 Mod ✭✭✭✭Bounty Hunter

Raekwon wrote: »
    There's a £10m 'development fee' slapped on Sturridge's head by Man City, doubt MON would touch him now.

a tribunal sets the fee not City as far as i know, maybe they have suggested it should be that much but ive never heard of a player going in this way for even as much as £5m

a tribunal sets the fee not City as far as i know, maybe they have suggested it should be that much but ive never heard of a player going in this way for even as much as £5m
    As the forward is under the age of 24, City would be entitled under Premier League rules to a “development fee”, set by an FA tribunal.

Sturridge has been in the City youth set up since the age of 13 and so the club have a good case for a large settlement.

In putting together their submission for the tribunal, City staff will look at Theo Walcott’s fee when he left Southampton for Arsenal – £5m rising to £12.5m

Plus Chelsea have apparently offered him a ridiculous £75k per week making him the highest paid teenager ever. I'd say he wouldn't mind playing in the reserves and Carling Cup for that sort of money.

they might be looking for that kinda fee but i doubt they will get it, I too would expect Chelseas to get him at this stage but you never know.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,299 ✭✭✭villains77

hope we buy some one soon it all good to see the reserves improve there squad but we still need to have a few players to sign for the main team. we need a few whole new defence at least and an attacking midfielder that be better then barry and a striker or 2 to keep the others on their toes for their places. id love it if we did improve on last year and finish 4th and city to finish out of europe again wouldnt it be a blow for the judas to not play european footie 2 seasons in a row. come on villa

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,246 ✭✭✭Esse85

villains77 wrote: »
    hope we buy some one soon it all good to see the reserves improve there squad but we still need to have a few players to sign for the main team. we need a few whole new defence at least and an attacking midfielder that be better then barry and a striker or 2 to keep the others on their toes for their places. id love it if we did improve on last year and finish 4th and city to finish out of europe again wouldnt it be a blow for the judas to not play european footie 2 seasons in a row. come on villa
    Judas????

Move on.

Campbell will cost £5/6m and I think Sturidge would be worth an extra few million, surely the compensation paid will depend on how he develops as a player,e.g international appearances.
    I did hear he's a Villa fan, not that it means anything these days.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,219 ✭✭✭invincibleirish

The original Judas for me was that kuntt Y*rke. Barry is just a fool.

Naaa Yorke is a Villa legend! He only moved to Utd because he wanted to play at the higest level and win trophies, which he did (CL: 1999, PL: 1998–99, 1999–00, 2000–01, FA Cup: 1999, Intercontinental Cup: 1999) so fair play to him.

The biggest Judas in my eyes was Garth Southgate, he was the Villa captain and wanted to move to a bigger team to win trophies so he packed his bags and moved up north to mighty Middlesbrough!!! :confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,219 ✭✭✭invincibleirish

Naaa Yorke is a Villa legend! He only moved to Utd because he wanted to play at the higest level and win trophies, which he did (CL: 1999, PL: 1998–99, 1999–00, 2000–01, FA Cup: 1999, Intercontinental Cup: 1999) so fair play to him.

Hey of course i can't deny he was sensational whilst at Villa but his departure left a very sour note, what he did after is irrelevant. I too would have shot him.

yea a fool is right he left for the money. and city arent even in europe next year

• Advertisement

its been reported in a few places but i havent seen it here yet so... Standard turn down a bid from Everton for Defour.
    Everton are understood to have failed with a bid for Standard Liege star Steven Defour.

The Belgium international has revealed that an offer has been turned down for his services.

Standard are known to want at least €15million (£12.6million) for the highly-rated Defour.

Everton are one of a number of clubs who have been tracking Defour over the past year.

Defour impressed hugely for Standard, both domestically and in Europe, and he looks set for a move away from Liege this summer.

Everton managed to prise Marouane Fellaini away from Standard last summer, breaking their transfer record with a £15million deal, and if they want Defour they are going to have to go close to that again.

Bid
    "How high was the bid? I do not know, you would need to ask Luciano D'Onofrio [Standard vice-president] that question," Defour told HLN.

The 21-year-old Defour insists he is in no huge hurry to quit Standard after helping them qualify for next season's UEFA Champions League.

"For now I wait quietly, I feel good at Standard, especially now we are in the Champions League," he said.

"But I would be ready to move abroad, but the transfer will come when all parties are happy."

Aston Villa and Liverpool are also known to be very keen on the young midfielder.

Meanwhile, Standard have handed a two-year deal to former Portsmouth youngster Andrea Mutombo - who spent last season on loan at Zulte-Waregem.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,277 ✭✭✭CantGetNoSleep

Mellberg moving to Olympiakos it seems, pity he couldn't be tempted back

Mellberg moving to Olympiakos it seems, pity he couldn't be tempted back

That's already been mentioned a page or two back there chief :)
    Barcelona are prepared to listen to offers for Icelandic striker Eidur Gudjohnsen.

The experienced frontman is under contract at Camp Nou until 2010 but has been informed that he does feature in Pep Guardiola's plans for the future.

Therefore, Barca have revealed that they are willing to part with the 30-year-old for the right price.

It is reported that an approach of around €5million would be enough to lure Gudjohnsen away from Catalunya.

That valuation has not been matched as yet, but interest in the former Chelsea ace is mounting.

A number of clubs in England are believed to be tracking the situation with interest, while Turkish outfit Beskitas are said to have made a tentative approach.

While Barca are hoping to generate a fee for Gudjohnsen, they are also alive to the possibility of using the striker as a make-weight in their efforts to bring in their own top targets this summer.

For €5m (£4.2m) he would be a very good buy IMO. He is a year younger then Heskey and he actually knows where the back of the net is. He could form a formidable partnership with Carew next season. Over to you MON ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,397 ✭✭✭yahoo_moe

He is a year younger then Heskey and he actually knows where the back of the net is.
    A lot of his football in the last two years has been in midfield though, so not sure he's still a striker as such...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,323 ✭✭✭Savman

Gudjohnsen was linked a while back. He'd be a great asset IMO.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,924 ✭✭✭shoutman

Stuart Taylor has moved from Villa to Man City, wonder if we got any money for him....

gudjohnson would be a great signing if we get him but would mon want him. he be great to pair them with carew up front and have gabby and heskey as subs. if only :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,918 ✭✭✭✭orourkeda

Go on the gudjohnson

any more roumours on players signing or leaving good luck to taylor leaving for man city

yahoo_moe wrote: »
    A lot of his football in the last two years has been in midfield though, so not sure he's still a striker as such...

That's true actually, but an attacking midfielder that can play up front is just what Villa need (& have done for some time). MON would be mad not to try and snap him up!

• Advertisement

Id rather Owen then Gudjohnson TBH

Both have played very little in the last 3 years, both injury prone, both will demand high wages BUT id like MON to bring in one of them.

Sturridge is joining Chelsea FFS

Esse85 wrote: »
    Sturridge is joining Chelsea FFS
    For a year, probably ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,335 ✭✭✭death1234567

shoutman wrote: »
    Stuart Taylor has moved from Villa to Man City, wonder if we got any money for him....
    No we didn't. He was out of contract IIRC.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,016 ✭✭✭mirwillbeback

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,951 ✭✭✭DSB

Barry ahead of Mellberg and in ahead of Laursen? No thank you. So what if he was there for longer.

So many names id admit to knowing little to nothing about but still a great read. It all depends one how you quantify greatest player, personally id agree Laursen above Barry but Barry most certainley had a greater contribution to the club as he was there for over a decade and was always such an important player for us for example.

anyone else think we will se Villa's first signing in 6 days? (July 1st) perhaps Bentley as suggested before it all went quiet (cos Villa presumably told him and his agent to stfu we dont deal in public like that :D)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,793 ✭✭✭✭JPA

DSB wrote: »
    Barry ahead of Mellberg and in ahead of Laursen? No thank you. So what if he was there for longer.

I'm sorry but obviously.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,918 ✭✭✭✭orourkeda

So many names id admit to knowing little to nothing about but still a great read. It all depends one how you quantify greatest player, personally id agree Laursen above Barry but Barry most certainley had a greater contribution to the club as he was there for over a decade and was always such an important player for us for example.

anyone else think we will se Villa's first signing in 6 days? (July 1st) perhaps Bentley as suggested before it all went quiet (cos Villa presumably told him and his agent to stfu we dont deal in public like that :D)

David Bentley should totally stfu and stop putting his business out there on the street. Spurs should stfu and stop trying to sell us their douchebags.

• Advertisement

orourkeda wrote: »
    David Bentley should totally stfu and stop putting his business out there on the street. Spurs should stfu and stop trying to sell us their douchebags.
    :rolleyes:
    The guy is a good player for jaysis sake. And he's available, what more do you really want? Beggars can't be choosers...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 657 ✭✭✭tomred1

Don't know if this has been posted already see link, the Times 50 greatest Villa players.

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/sport/football/premier_league/aston_villa/article6568117.ece

tomred1 wrote: »
    Don't know if this has been posted already see link, the Times 50 greatest Villa players.

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/sport/football/premier_league/aston_villa/article6568117.ece

Not for 7 posts anyway. :P

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,452 ✭✭✭Time Magazine

Playing Fiorentina on August 8, the Saturday before the league kicks off. Ryanair doing flights for €30 return, tickets cost "between £10-£20" for adults. Reminiscent of Inter a couple seasons ago.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,518 ✭✭✭matrim

Martin O'Neill is stepping up his search to find a replacement for Martin Laursen.

But speculation that Middlesbrough centre-back David Wheater is amongst O'Neill's leading targets is understood to be wide of the mark and Villa have made no bid for the 22-year-old.

The Aston Villa boss is believed to looking for a more experienced figure to fill the massive void left by Laursen, who was forced to retire with a knee injury at the end of last season.

And in any case Boro are reluctant to part company with Wheater despite their relegation from the Premier League.

O'Neill has always been renowned for favouring dominant central defenders such as Steve Walsh and Matt Elliott during his days in charge of Leicester.

And Curtis Davies, Zat Knight and Carlos Cuellar, his current crop of centre-backs, do not fall into that category.

Villa looked vulnerable at the back after Laursen was sidelined in January and in one spell conceded 25 goals in 10 games.

The likes of Upson (West Ham), Distin (Portsmouth), Brede Hangeland (Fulham), Philippe Senderos (Arsenal) and Vadim Demidov (Rosenborg) are being monitored.

O'Neill also has to find a replacement for Gareth Barry following his £12million move to Manchester City.

But in terms of prioritising, it is finding someone capable of filling Laursen's role that is taking centre stage for O'Neill.

He can call upon Steve Sidwell, Nigel Reo-Coker and Craig Gardner to play alongside the club's player of the year Stiliyan Petrov in the centre of the park.

Petrov is a leading candidate to take over from Laursen - and his predecessor Barry - as captain for the 2009-2010 campaign.

One likely signing for Villa will be Arsenal teenager Samir Carruthers, although he is very much a long term prospect and will initially be given the chance to play in the reserves.

Winger Carruthers was captain of the Gunners' under-16 side.

Villa's academy director Bryan Jones said: "He was offered a contract by Arsenal and turned it down. We were given permission by Arsenal to speak to him.

"We have agreed in principle a contract and hopefully he is going to sign for us on July 1."

Nothing really new here but it's the first time I've seen us linked with Senderos

I saw Senderos linked about a forthnight ago but didnt post it here as it was from a completley uncredable source, wouldent be surprised if were monitoring him as I actually believe there is a very good player within Senderos but atm he is not anywhere near a Laursen replacement. I dont expect Hangeland to be anywhere but Fulham next season so out of those linked (in that article) would only really want Upson but hopefully there is more out there yet to be linked cos I was more interested back when Vermaelen and that hungarian (who yes i hadnt seen a whole lot of) from anderlecht Juhasz iirc were being linked to us.

• Advertisement

This is from the same source I had previously seen Senderos linked to us from
    Fraizer Campbell could be heading to Aston Villa Football Club this summer.

The England Under-21 international has already been linked with Newcastle United, Wigan Athletic and Hull City this month, with the latter having an offer of £6million accepted.

Campbell has revealed he will decide on his future at the end of the month, and he could soon have the offer of Villa who are also said to be keen on the Manchester United player.

Gudjohnson speculation heating up maybe... from goal.com
    Martin O'Neill could unveil a major coup this summer with the acquisition of Barcelona forward Eidur Gudjohnsen, as Aston Villa is the likeliest destination for the Icelandic international, according to Sport.

Gudjohnsen still has a number of admirers in the Premier League after thrilling Stamford Bridge supporters while donning Chelsea colours for six seasons, however, the Midlanders have shown the strongest interest in the 30-year-old.

The player is believed to cost in the region of €3.5 million, a mere snippet of the transfer fee O'Neill received for former captain Gareth Barry, who signed for Manchester City earlier this month.

Gudjohnsen has accumulated a plethora of honours, including two Premier League titles, a League Cup and a European Cup, which was achieved with Barcelona.

Aston Villa's summer spending will not halt with the purchase of Gudjohnsen, should the speculation turn official, as Tottenham Hotspur outcast David Bentley and in-demand Standard Liege player Steven Defour have also been heavily press-linked with a transfer to Villa Park.

Playing Fiorentina on August 8, the Saturday before the league kicks off. Ryanair doing flights for €30 return, tickets cost "between £10-£20" for adults. Reminiscent of Inter a couple seasons ago.

anybody going over for this match

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,452 ✭✭✭Time Magazine

villains77 wrote: »
    anybody going over for this match
    I'm thinking about it.

Some great news on the official site today about Freddie.
    Bouma Upbeat

Wilfred Bouma has hit back at reports of his impending retirement, insisting: "My rehab is going great and I'm in good spirits."

Bouma was forced out of action for seven months in July 2008 after dislocating his ankle in the Intertoto Cup clash with Odense at Villa Park.

He starred for the reserve side in their 4-3 victory over Chelsea in March 2009 but his return to action was short-lived after undergoing keyhole surgery the following month to remove particles from his troublesome ankle.

This forced him back on to crutches until two weeks ago when the influential defender was able to start light work in his comeback bid.

He now hopes to start running again when MON's men return to pre-season training at the start of July.

He told [url]www.avfc.co.uk:[/url] "I have been doing rehab work for two weeks now and things are going really great. To read newspaper stories with that sort of speculation is really frustrating for me because it's progressing well.

"I have had a lot of calls, even from my friends in Holland, asking me about the stories. When people read things like this, some believe them. But things are going really well.

"I have to build up slowly now - some walking and general strengthening. I hope to start jogging during pre-season.

"There is no real hurry. I don't want to rush back. It's got to be right. There's no set date for my comeback but it's looking good and I'm in good spirits."

And in other news, I really like him and think he has the potential to be an absolute Villa legend, but Curtis Davies looks like an eejit:
    0,,10265%7E4499104,00.jpg

id be interested in this move but for some reason dont see it happening
    NOTW wrote:
    ASTON VILLA are ready to make a £5million swoop for German international Tim Borowski.

Boss Martin O'Neill hopes to land the 6ft 5in Bayern Munich midfielder before training starts next month.

Villa have also been linked with Spurs' Tom Huddlestone but Borowski, 29, has played at a much higher level.

He was a key member of the German squads at the World Cup in 2006 and Euro 2008.

Bayern are desperate to raise the cash to capture Chelsea defender Jose Bosingwa

as with every transfer window since DO'L took over we have now been linked to Robbie Keane, surprisingly though their may be some weight to a possible 2nd departure from WHL for Keane as ive seen/heard many spurs fans inc right here ssay that Keane was only brought back because of Defoe's injury and that ideally Harry would want to pair Defoe with a big man whilst Robbie wouldent wanna be left on the bench a la defoe before he went to Pompey. Keane has already been linked to Sunderland too but imo he would be the ideal type of striker for Villa atm of course I would still expect the story to be bollox especially the bits about Carew who has already stated he will be at Villa next year... interesting though
    Robbie Keane could be set to leave Tottenham for the second summer in succession, if a report in The People this morning is to be believed.

Tom Hopkinson writes in the Sunday tabloid: "Robbie Keane has emerged as a shock target for Aston Villa boss Martin O'Neill... But People Sport understands Spurs gaffer Harry Redknapp would be willing to offload the Irishman already ... if the money is right."

Hopkinson adds: "Villa would need to weigh in with an offer in the region of £12million, the price he cost Spurs when they took him back from Liverpool. But O'Neill has money to spend after flogging Gareth Barry to Manchester City earlier this month for the same price."

The rumour that Keane could leave White Hart Lane this summer has been fuelled by claims that Harry Redknapp would like to pair Jermain Defoe with a big target man next season. John Carew could be part of this deal, although Sevilla are interested in the Norwegian striker as well.

Redknapp is believed to be unhappy with the performances of Keane after he returned from Anfield. The Republic of Ireland striker scored five goals in 14 appearances for Tottenham in the second half of the 2008/2009 campaign.

Another report in the Sunday Mirror suggests Primera Division side Villareal are the latest club to show an interest in Russian striker Roman Pavlyuchenko but the Spanish team are unwilling to pay the £13.8m fee Spurs paid last summer.

The Hleb link is back too which would interest me greatly
    ASTON VILLA are on the trail of former Arsenal midfield player Alexander Hleb.

They have been alerted by his camp claiming he wants to come back to England since his move to Barcelona has turned sour.

Villa manager Martin OíNeill is scouring Europe to replace departed Gareth Barry and Hleb fits the bill.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 17,661 ✭✭✭✭Helix

keane and hleb would be great signings

in other news, whatd i miss?

welcome back helix the thread was far quieter without you

Villa wise you missed nothing afterall Villa keep stum on news these days and if something does actually happen it is everywhere i.e when we actually sign someone

one point of interest is that randy is in birmingham, and when that happens in summer signings generally start happening within a week

• Registered Users Posts: 857 ✭✭✭wynters

Good to have you back Helix!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,016 ✭✭✭mirwillbeback

Helix wrote: »
    keane and hleb would be great signings

in other news, whatd i miss?

viva la resitance ;)

dodgy manc itk saying he say mon with leon osman and a couple of blokes in suits in a restaurant earlier

welcome back helix

tuncay to us is apparently close

i say apparently because i dont believe a word of it

Helix wrote: »
    tuncay to us is apparently close

i say apparently because i dont believe a word of it

Quote your sources. This is in on sky sports website.

http://www.skysports.com/story/0,19528,11661_5406720,00.html

I wouldent bother with those ITK threads Helix although there is a lot of talk from numerous areas about a midfielder signing in the next week. Apparently Bill Howell keeps going on about it

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement