Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Aston Villa Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,879 Mod ✭✭✭✭Bounty Hunter

Wouldent mind Tuncay as I only expect a mid level forward signing if we sign one tbh, as our big signings need to be in CM & CD and cos Tuncay would def be the type of forward we need a creater who could maybe also play in AM in our 4-5-1/4-3-3

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,661 ✭✭✭✭Helix

I wouldent bother with those ITK threads Helix although there is a lot of talk from numerous areas about a midfielder signing in the next week. Apparently Bill Howell keeps going on about it

bill howell doesnt have a clue

yesterday he reported that we were close to signing samir carruthers from arsenal... a player we signed on the 25th of may

lerner flying into brum does mean we can expect a signing this week or early next though

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,793 ✭✭✭✭JPA

With the ITKs, signings may leak a day or 2 before, rarely weeks in advance.

all depends how negotiations go and if the player is talking to anyone else though

we could be the first club meeting with him, and 4 more to go or whatever

i cant help but feel we've seriously dropped the ball by letting wolves bring in doyle for £6m

its thrice the player gabby is

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 54,680 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

Helix wrote: »
    all depends how negotiations go and if the player is talking to anyone else though

we could be the first club meeting with him, and 4 more to go or whatever

i cant help but feel we've seriously dropped the ball by letting wolves bring in doyle for £6m

its thrice the player gabby is

Hey helix

Dropped the ball indeed,he'd be a great buy for mon.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,219 ✭✭✭invincibleirish

Welcome back to this dump Helix. Doyle's alright but i don't think he offers any improvement in what Villa have up front except for Heskey of course but anyone is better then that horse.

Welcome back to this dump Helix. Doyle's alright but i don't think he offers any improvement in what Villa have up front except for Heskey of course but anyone is better then that horse.

we'll have to disagree there

for me doyle is a far more completely player than gabby. hes intelligent, good in the air, decent feet and has a solid positional sense. he can also link up well with another front man. agbonlahor has absolutely none of those qualities

while doyle wouldnt set hearts racing on paper, him and carew wouldnt get too far shy of 40 between them

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,951 ✭✭✭DSB

Ah now, if they're similarly priced, I'd have Tuncay over Doyle every time.

yeah ill agree with you there, but i cant see tuncay being £6m

would be great if he was tho

• Advertisement

Thumbs up to Tuncay coming to VP.

alan nixon now saying tuncay to villa is very close

hes generally very reliable

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 54,680 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

could be a great signing

i really like this as you gotta assume a CB & CM will be signed no matter what, i expect Bentley too but signings like Tuncay are a bonus because they are quality despite not being in the areas that is our priority to improve in. Signing Tuncay means we get a creative attacking addition to our squad who also captains his country.

Nixon suggesting it could be for as little as 5m! i wouldent be shocked if it was maybe 5m & Harewood
    Exclusive by Alan Nixon 30/06/2009

Aston Villa boss Martin O'Neill is ready to make a surprise £5million move Middlesbrough's talented Turk Tuncay Sanli - and pick up his £65,000-a-week wages.

Villa have taken a big interest in Tuncay since Boro secretly tipped off rivals that he was available for sale as part of an attempt to bring in around £17m from unwanted men.

Tuncay can play in several roles and would be a major asset for Villa, who are reeling from the loss of skipper Gareth Barry and have yet to land the targets that they want to boost their small squad.

O'Neill is keen on the unpredictable skills of Tuncay who would bring some missing magic into his attacking options and Boro hope that the deal can be wrapped up quickly to let them make signings of their own.

Tuncay's wages have put off most clubs and he is seen by many as a 'luxury' but O'Neill admires his variety and knows he has space in his squad for a wild card who can play several roles.

Boro are also in discussions with Portuguese giants about a deal for Brazilian flop Afonso Alves who will be allowed to go for as little as £4 million after his big-money nightmare switch 18 months ago.

Boss Gareth Southgate is willing to trade Alves and Tuncay but still needs to raise other funds by squeezing out Mido, Jeremie Aliadiere and Gary O'Neil who have all been offered to other clubs in the past week.

Mido, back from a loan spell at Wigan, can go out for a season for a £1 million rental while Aliadriere's price is £2 million. O'Neil - on high wages - is another who will be sacrificed.

wahay! i posted it before nixon did

do i win a prize? lol

talk distin will be in by friday too

• Advertisement

could we finally be getting what ITK talking rubbish usually suggest, a load of new players unveiled at once. Fridays press conference Bentley, Distin and Tuncay all announced to have signed

if we do i wouldnt think its intentional

i wouldnt imagine we have a few players signed already or anything, but i think itll be more a case of finishing off the deals this week now that rl is in town

bentley and tuncay would be solid signings, and distin (despite being far from martin laursen) might be enough to stabilise the defence for a year while davies gets his confidence problems sorted and cuellar figures out the english game

still need a couple of full backs tho imo

if we do i wouldnt think its intentional

i wouldnt imagine we have a few players signed already or anything, but i think itll be more a case of finishing off the deals this week now that rl is in town

bentley and tuncay would be solid signings, and distin (despite being far from martin laursen) might be enough to stabilise the defence for a year while davies gets his confidence problems sorted and cuellar figures out the english game

still need a couple of full backs tho imo

yeah we def need cover at RB and if Bouma is done a first choice LB. I agree on Tuncay/Bentley being solid signings if they happen, Distin wouldent be my choice but he wouldent be bad.

id love if the Veloso rumours were true too as he is kinda like Bentley imo still young so he can get it right and get back to the talent he previously showed which got Man utd and co interested but last season he had a mare so instead it was Bolton trying for him. Also still hoping for Defour and no not just cos both of these are fancy foreigners :pac:

tbh ive never seen veloso, but apparently hes been complete cack since he was linked to the big clubs. hasnt even been a regular starter

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,016 ✭✭✭mirwillbeback

• Advertisement

hes not ENTIRELY wrong

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,016 ✭✭✭mirwillbeback

hes not ENTIRELY wrong

i was afraid to say anything :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,335 ✭✭✭death1234567

Tuncay on £65,000 a week?? He's okay but not worth that kind of money. If he came he'd probably be our top earner and wouldn't be guaranteed a starting place :confused:

for mon to be using the small squad line after 3 years is a bit much tbh

Tuncay on £65,000 a week?? He's okay but not worth that kind of money. If he came he'd probably be our top earner and wouldn't be guaranteed a starting place :confused:

heskey is on £69k and we've a few on £50k now, carew and young are on the same afaik, slightly less than heskey

I didn't know Heskey was on 69k a week, life is truly unfair. DOL is just being the grumpy git that he is. Sure MON has only equalled where DOL took Villa ( in a lucky manner) but O' Neill also had to mop up the damage of crud signings & being down with the also rans in the bottom half. O' Leary can **** off the ****.

If there is anything in the Veloso link, which there probably isn't, why not add millions on to that bid and woo J. Moutinho to VP.

tbh there wasnt really much dol could do. ellis wouldnt give him the steam off his piss to sign players in the last 18 months

If there is anything in the Veloso link, which there probably isn't, why not add millions on to that bid and woo J. Moutinho to VP.

its a long running link, so there MIGHT be something to it. dont know enough about the chap to have all that much of an opinion on him tho, if he signs ill look forward to seeing him in action

tbh there wasnt really much dol could do. ellis wouldnt give him the steam off his piss to sign players in the last 18 months

True, true. Just finished reading David Conns book 'The Football Business'. He has a chapter on Doug. In it he denied ever being in football for the money whilst having brochures on his desk for country mansions and joking he needed a helicopter to get to VP. Typical **** behaviour from HDE.

despite it all, i think dol wouldve done every bit as well as mon, perhaps a bit better, with lerners cash... simply coz hes far better in the transfer market if he's backed

doesnt make him any nicer a bloke tho, so im happy enough hes long gone

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,951 ✭✭✭✭Villain

I like DOL but based on his Leeds days I wouldn't like him to be in charge of Lerners cash for transfers

Villain wrote: »
    I like DOL but based on his Leeds days I wouldn't like him to be in charge of Lerners cash for transfers

i wouldnt have a problem with it

o'leary wasnt the issue at leeds, risdale was

he speculated more than the club could afford to. dol was simply spending the money he was told was available

Oh I know Risdale was pushing the money but some of his buys weren't great, in fairness to MON most of his buys have been for the future, and he hasn't really splashed big on a flop, A Young was probably the best bit business the club has ever done and it was seen as a big gamble at the time

the problem with mon is that he wastes far too much money on "squad players" that he rarely uses, when the money wouldve been better used if spent on one first teamer rather than the likes of knight, sidwell, shorey, salifou, maloney etc

• Registered Users Posts: 857 ✭✭✭wynters

The full version of that O'Leary interview is here...

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-1196031/EXCLUSIVE-Ex-Leeds-boss-OLeary-ready-hop-managerial-treadmill-I-dont-want-playing-golf-I-want-working-again.html

I supported him around the time the fans we're starting to turn against him, and didn't want to see him leave because he was trying to do a job with his hands tied behind his back - but there's no doubt he's one slimey mo'fo!

I would have thought after the disastrous end to his time at Villa DOLs ego would have taken a hammering and he would be a bit more grounded, particularly in the media. But after the interview given a few days back and these Mirror qoutes its clear he's still the same pompous eejit with his head in the clouds and in denial over him doing no wrong.

true but its a lot harder to find first team players of top 6 quality without splashing huge cash and in fairness we needed squad players with the small squad we had.

Also when you rotate a lot its easier to keep first team players happy as they all get a good few games but MON likes to get a settled team and keep it pretty much the same, sadly that leaves a huge problem when the likes of Bouma and Laursen gt long term injuries. It would take an investment of about 80 million to replace Barry and Laursen and get us 2 or 3 first team players that can replace injuries without weakening the team, in the current climate thats a lot of money

tbh i dont think itd cost anywhere near that if you had someone who was decent in the transfer market

we knocked hangeland back before he joined fulham for example

then we didnt go after luke young for £2m, and instead signed him for near to £6m the next summer

its ridiculous things like that that cost us in the long run

tbh i dont think itd cost anywhere near that if you had someone who was decent in the transfer market

we knocked hangeland back before he joined fulham for example

then we didnt go after luke young for £2m, and instead signed him for near to £6m the next summer

its ridiculous things like that that cost us in the long run
    I agree andI went mad when we signed L Young for the exact reason you said but hangeland imo isn't as good as what we need, its very easy to talk about players but we are between 2 stools in a way, i.e. a lot of players around aren't going to improve the team much and then the players that will improve the team don't want to come to Villa because we are outside the top 4.

So we either buy young and try and build a team up or we take some gambles and try and buy foreign players that want to come but that could either be a great bargain or a flop, Wenger is a rare breed that can find them time and time again but then again its a lot easier to get players to Join a top London team

• Advertisement

but hangeland imo isn't as good as what we need,

Really? i would have thought Brede Hangeland is exactly what we need to fill the Martin Laursen shaped void in defence. He has all the attributes needed i feel to be a success at any club in the top 6 and think Villa would be lucky to get him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,793 ✭✭✭✭JPA

Really? i would have thought Brede Hangeland is exactly what we need to fill the Martin Laursen shaped void in defence. He has all the attributes needed i feel to be a success at any club in the top 6 and think Villa would be lucky to get him.

Well it's only been one season. Perhaps a freak season.

He's good but not in Laursen's class imo, although they are few that are, but I think we need to be looking to someone like Arsenal signed Vermaelan (sp).

Lescott would be better too imo, if we signed Senderos I would be very disappointed

i dont think we willl sign this player but his father mentioning us by name (along with others) means i think it worth posting. tbh id prefer Tuncay to fill the exact same role and think this fella will end up off in Turkey or somewhere
    Prem trio in hunt for Gudjohnsen
    Eidur Gudjohnsen's father believes the forward will leave Barcelona this summer - and claims Aston Villa, Fulham and Everton are interested.
    The former Chelsea star's father Arnor, who also represents the striker, claims his son's days at the Nou Camp are over, and he is weighing up his options.

It is suggested three Premier League clubs have made their intentions known, although they face competition from other European sides.

"I think that Eidur will leave Barcelona, but I am not sure where he will end up playing next," Arnor Gudjohnsen is quoted as saying by Sport.

"There are many possibilities open to him and apart from Aston Villa, Fulham and Everton, there are also clubs in other European countries that want him."

The 30-year-old has previously hinted at an interest in joining former Chelsea team-mate Gianfranco Zola at West Ham, but an official approach has not yet been made by the Hammers.

i dont think we willl sign this player but his father mentioning us by name (along with others) means i think it worth posting. tbh id prefer Tuncay to fill the exact same role and think this fella will end up off in Turkey or somewhere
    Good player imo, could be a good signing, knows what the PL is about and always came across as a hard working honest player

Good player imo, could be a good signing, knows what the PL is about and always came across as a hard working honest player

he is a good player but hes older now (30iirc) and on big wages (not that tuncay isnt) that itd be hard to equal in england given the 50% tax thing. tbh id be happy if either as like ive said before im not expecting a star up front as we have to replace Barry/Laursen more importantly although i suppose technically with a formation shift these could be Barry replacements

• Advertisement

He's good but not in Laursen's class imo, although they are few that are, but I think we need to be looking to someone like Arsenal signed Vermaelan

vermaelan is by all accounts dodgy as hell

he is a good player but hes older now (30iirc) and on big wages (not that tuncay isnt) that itd be hard to equal in england given the 50% tax thing. tbh id be happy if either as like ive said before im not expecting a star up front as we have to replace Barry/Laursen more importantly although i suppose technically with a formation shift these could be Barry replacements

4-4-1-1 will be the formation next season id wager

can cover LB as well as being a CB is only 23 and was Ajax captain personally i dont care what some belgians on VT have to say he is what i wanted when we were linked, seems Wenger thinks he is worth the punt and hes usually good in the market

but alas that ones gone, now are strongest linked CBs are Distin and Campbell :(

Really where did you get impression from, I was talking to someone who is into Ajax in a big way and he reckoned he was a very very good defender, think he was even captain last year

wenger is no use with defenders though

we'll sign a center back with the intention of them coming for a year imo, distin or balde, and it might just be enough time for davies to sort his head out and cuellar to adjust

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement