Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Aston Villa Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,661 ✭✭✭✭Helix

Villain wrote: »
    Really where did you get impression from, I was talking to someone who is into Ajax in a big way and he reckoned he was a very very good defender, think he was even captain last year

when we had "signed" him earlier in the summer, there were quite a few on vt who regularly watch the dutch league who reckoned he was way too incident prone, and not the best in the air (theres a great shot of laursen about 4 foot above him when he scored against ajax in the uefa last season)

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,879 Mod ✭✭✭✭Bounty Hunter

Helix wrote: »
    4-4-1-1 will be the formation next season id wager

id like you to be right but unless they will be getting his chances on the wing next season (and with Bentley also possibly signing thats less likely) i dunno if both Gabby and Heskey will be on the bench all season. I would do it yes but will MON.

personally i think itd be perfect, Young, Bentley, Milner, Tuncay (to a lesser extent sidwell) all rotating in the 3 AM slots behind big John, gabby as the perfect impact sub for when defenses are tiring and Heskey as the backup target man for CC, Europe and if Carew gets injured.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,951 ✭✭✭✭Villain

distin or balde, and it might just be enough time for davies to sort his head out and cuellar to adjust

I'd reluctantly rather Upson

no no no to balde (please say you added his name to get a reaction) id prefer Sol Campbell on a free than him and i dont want Sol

id like you to be right but unless they will be getting his chances on the wing next season (and with Bentley also possibly signing thats less likely) i dunno if both Gabby and Heskey will be on the bench all season. I would do it yes but will MON.

personally i think itd be perfect, Young, Bentley, Milner, Tuncay (to a lesser extent sidwell) all rotating in the 3 AM slots behind big John, gabby as the perfect impact sub for when defenses are tiring and Heskey as the backup target man for CC, Europe and if Carew gets injured.

friedel
    young
    new cb
    davies/cuellar
    new lb
    bentley
    milner
    petrov
    young
    tuncay

carew

thatd work for me

milner in the middle might look an odd choice, but hes got what it takes to play that position for me

I'd reluctantly rather Upson

id take upson in a flash, but i dont think hed join us considering the crap he has to put up with whenver he comes to vp
    no no no to balde (please say you added his name to get a reaction) id prefer Sol Campbell on a free than him and i dont want Sol

hes out of contract tomorrow, so expect him to be linked. hes big, strong, black and rubbish at football, but can tackle and is good in the air. wouldnt be surprised in the slightest tbh

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,043 ✭✭✭✭L'prof

wenger is no use with defenders thoug

Yeah, that's right...Clichy, Gallas, Touré & Sagna are all shíté defenders :rolleyes: They didn't play as well this season as I would have hoped, but individually I don't think many would turn away any of them!

friedel
    young
    new cb
    davies/cuellar
    new lb
    bentley
    milner
    petrov
    young
    tuncay

carew

thatd work for me

milner in the middle might look an odd choice, but hes got what it takes to play that position for me
    Milner in the middle? no way for me, we need a new CM and rotate Bentley, Young and Milner or play Young behind striker in a free role and have Bentley and Milner out wide.

jasonorr wrote: »
    Yeah, that's right...Clichy, Gallas, Touré & Sagna are all shíté defenders :rolleyes: They didn't play as well this season as I would have hoped, but individually I don't think many would turn away any of them!

gallas is ropey at best, and a bit of a plank too. cant argue with sagna or clichy, but im undecided on toure tbh

friedel
    young
    new cb
    davies/cuellar
    new lb
    bentley
    milner
    petrov
    young
    tuncay

carew

thatd work for me

.................................Friedel

L.Young...........Upson...........Davies/Cuellar......Drenthe

..............Petrov(NRC)......Veloso(Gardner)

Milner/Bentley.......Defour/Tuncay..........A.Young

............................Carew

Similar but the above would be a near perfect summer only using people who have been linked for me

• Advertisement

Milner in the middle? no way for me, we need a new CM and rotate Bentley, Young and Milner or play Young behind striker in a free role and have Bentley and Milner out wide.

i think youd be surprised with milner in cm tbh

hes got a great engine, he'll run up and down the pitch all day, he'll tackle and track back when he needs to, hes got great vision and solid distribution, and he can pick a ball

he'll eventually grow into a top notch cm for me regardless of whether we play him there this season

.................................Friedel

L.Young...........Upson...........Davies/Cuellar......Drenthe

..............Petrov(NRC)......Veloso(Gardner)

Milner/Bentley.......Defour/Tuncay..........A.Young

............................Carew

Similar but the above would be a near perfect summer only using people who have been linked for me

thatd work for me too, but stick huddlestone in there instead of veloso for me

gallas is ropey at best, and a bit of a plank too. cant argue with sagna or clichy, but im undecided on toure tbh

Gallas & Toure have been great for Arsenal. Gallas lost the plot a bit last season, but he's done well this season. Toure has been excellent for us until he contracted Malaria, he just hasn't been the same since!

It's worth noting that Arsenal aren't know for their defence, but Villa are and yet we still conceded less last season. You can talk about injuries, but both teams defences were equally affected!

• Registered Users Posts: 857 ✭✭✭wynters

I'd have Bentley in the middle and Milner on the wing... did Bentley not play in the centre for Blackburn - with Emerton out wide...???

jasonorr wrote: »
    Arsenal aren't know for their defence, but Villa are

since when? lol

our defence hasnt been rock solid for a long long time

since when? lol

our defence hasnt been rock solid for a long long time

Maybe I made that up :P When Laursen and Boma were playing ye looks very solid at the back, I can't remember the last time Arsenal looked that solid!

bouma and larusen played very few games together unfortunately, most of the season before last but that was it, and we conceded 51 that season and only 48 last season

laursen didnt feature all that much the previous season, and bouma didnt feature at all the following

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,219 ✭✭✭invincibleirish

I think the best improvement to the Villa defence next can be made by signing one of those midfield players who can sit,trackback and generally do the dirty work in a way knackered Stan & dollar-signs-in-his-eyes Barry couldn't do more and more as last season petered out.

Sure Sidwell & NRC might do a job but if they are getting time on the pitch next season then we need to see some far,far more improved performances from both of them. No OGs, no pointless sending offs & Yellows, no mis placed passes and 90 minute performances playing the invisible man. how much were the 2 combined again? 12.5m?.

stan will be grand for that job after a bit of a rest, and should we hold onto nrc he'll be able to do it too

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,219 ✭✭✭invincibleirish

I dunno about NRC and i'm not sure MON does either, he has the attributes and all that. S'pose we'll see come August, isn't that corrupt manager at some club in London meant to be in for him?.

I dunno about NRC and i'm not sure MON does either, he has the attributes and all that. S'pose we'll see come August, isn't that corrupt manager at some club in London meant to be in for him?.

nrc doesnt want to leave

the reason he fell out of favour with mon is coz he was blamed in front of the others in the dressing room for the 5-0 loss at liverpool. he lost the head and told mon if he hadnt been playing at right back then maybe he wouldnt have made the mistakes he made

apparently you dont talk back to mon, even if youre right

thing is unless we dont sign a CM i see NRC having a similar season where like last year when he wasnt considerd better than Barry/Petrov he will end up on the bench unless we have an injury to a CM or a RB, he will then probably leave at the end of next year as we bring in new players and sure Gardner can do that backup CM/RB role, although of course we should buy a backup RB which would limit NRC's game time again.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,249 ✭✭✭✭Kinetic^

apparently you dont talk back to mon, even if youre right

I'd imagine most coaches would take the same stance on the talk back thing. I think if he can get his chance and is in the right mindset he'll make an impact....if he's in the right position. Too many variables. :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,793 ✭✭✭✭JPA

NRC can't pass a ball. He's awful.

'The only thing on my mind is getting back out there. I can't wait to put that claret and blue shirt on again.

'I want to be back playing with all the boys again because Villa have been brilliant with me and I want to give them something back for the support they have shown me.'

Speaking on last season, and sitting the whole campaign out, Bouma was very impressed with the achievements of the team and he can't wait to return to help us push on.

'The lads did really well last season - brilliantly - and the challenge now is to repeat that or better it. In football and in life generally, challenges are good.'

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,323 ✭✭✭Savman

hes out of contract tomorrow, so expect him to be linked. hes big, strong, black and rubbish at football, but can tackle and is good in the air. wouldnt be surprised in the slightest tbh
    Oh jesus, don't sign him so :rolleyes:

Savman wrote: »
    Oh jesus, don't sign him so :rolleyes:

youre hardly trying to insinuate that there was anything racist in that? lol

• Registered Users Posts: 857 ✭✭✭wynters

JPA wrote: »
    NRC can't pass a ball. He's awful.

I genuinely think NRC could be one of the best holding midfielders in the league if he was given a sustained run in that position... he's the perfect 'win it and give it' type of player, great at sheilding the ball - kinda similar to Diarra or Makelele.

That injury to Bouma, and the resulting team re-shuffle - together with his own injury and the development of Petrov in that holding role cost NRC his place in the side. If anything, he's a victim of his own versatility. He had a howler at Anfield alright - as did most of the team - but that was his first game back after a being out for a whille, and obviously wasn't match fit. He did a great job at right back for a while - against Ronaldo notably.

I feel very sorry him.

this cant be true, surely
    goal.com wrote:
    Internacional Starlet Taison Interesting Aston Villa - Report

The Brazilian wonderkid has a fan in Martin O'Neill, who is hoping to bring him to Villa Park...

Aston Villa are looking to Brazil for their latest recruit as they step up their interest in Taison.

The 21-year-old Internacional striker is keen to make the move to Europe this summer, and, according to Sport.co.uk, Villa could offer him that opportunity.

Taison, a Brazilian U-21 international, scored 14 goals in 17 games last season.

Villa have also expressed an interest in Taison's more established team-mate, Nilmar, but, given the enormous interest in him all over Europe, they do not consider that an avenue worth pursuing.

Therefore, it is Taison who is now Martin O'Neill's main target from Internacional.

que someone making the dont call me surely joke

wynters wrote: »
    I genuinely think NRC could be one of the best holding midfielders in the league if he was given a sustained run in that position... he's the perfect 'win it and give it' type of player, great at sheilding the ball - kinda similar to Diarra or Makelele.

That injury to Bouma, and the resulting team re-shuffle - together with his own injury and the development of Petrov in that holding role cost NRC his place in the side. If anything, he's a victim of his own versatility. He had a howler at Anfield alright - as did most of the team - but that was his first game back after a being out for a whille, and obviously wasn't match fit. He did a great job at right back for a while - against Ronaldo notably.

I feel very sorry him.

Win it, and give it to the opposition maybe.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,924 ✭✭✭shoutman

Bit harsh on NRC imo, people got to remember he is still young so still has unfullfilled potential.

I'm not shocked but still not happy about our lack of progress in the transfer market.... hopefully MON can pull out a shock or seven before the squad start playing pre season friendlies in july.

this cant be true

its on goal.com, so youre probably correct

• Registered Users Posts: 1,299 ✭✭✭villains77

is he any use. never heard of him b4.

based on the website its from he probably doesnt exist lol

hopefully there be a few signings in the comig week with lerner in brum for the summer. gudjohnson and derfour if we get him be great signings. as would tuncay and bently. hopefully some transfer newws in the coming days :D

gudjohnsen will go to west ham, and we wont get defour

distin in on thursday, tuncay and bentley friday

or maybe not

gudjohnsen will go to west ham, and we wont get defour

distin in on thursday, tuncay and bentley friday

or maybe not

Source?

does wishful thinking count as a source?

well, that and alan nixon for the tuncay thing

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,154 ✭✭✭✭Neil3030

Oh great. Helix has a barney with the mods and everyone misses him terribly, but did anyone even NOTICE I was away for the last 2 weeks??* :(

Anyway, I think Tuncay is a cracking little player who can cover a few positions if need be and Bentley was once a real talent who just needs the right management. I'd be happy with the two of them once they're the first of many.

*Note: not banned, on holiday

Neil3030 wrote: »
    Oh great. Helix has a barney with the mods and everyone misses him terribly, but did anyone even NOTICE I was away for the last 2 weeks??* :(

*Note: not banned, on holiday

well the place has only just kicked into action since ya both returned before it was just post after post from me posting recent links to players

• Advertisement

well the place has only just kicked into action since ya both returned before it was just post after post from me posting recent links to players

Haha, how'd those links work out in the end? Solid leads? :P

wait you mean we didnt sign all those players? aww dang it

Whoda thunkit eh?

from the villa media pages quoted as looking for tuncany and downing afaik aint downing out injured. also its between us and everton for owen aswell we also been linked again with senderos for 5m. will we ever sign a few players or will it be a panick buy with a week left on the transfer market get the finger out mon :D

collymore ,rooney and owen also have said that heskey is a class player and the best player they have played with up front :D

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=51847508&postcount=11

my first post of the mon reign

and im still right :P

*edit*

and theres my second

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=51847488&postcount=47

and you know what, im STILL right :D

Whatever.

I can only see us signing one striker and we've been linked with a few.
    Tuncay is probably the best of the lot although I can't help but want to give Owen a shot.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,335 ✭✭✭death1234567

my first post of the mon reign
    and im still right :P
    About Raneiri? No way, the tinkerman would not have been a good appointment.
    ;)

About Raneiri? No way, the tinkerman would not have been a good appointment.
    ;)

hed do a job now imo

and hed have easily gotten us the 11th place mon managed

• Advertisement

Accuracy thy name is Tribal Football:
    Aston Villa’s Ashton could still end up at Stoke
    02.07.09 | Andrew Slevison

Aston Villa striker Dean Ashton could still end up at Stoke City after the two clubs set about reaching a compromise in regards to his personal terms.

Initially, the Potters were not prepared to come up with Ashton’s demands for £65,000-a-week but after reconsidering, are close to agreeing to a price.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement