Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Aston Villa Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 857 ✭✭✭wynters

Various reports this morning linking us with Titus fckng Bramble!

Imagine a centre half pairing of Knight and Bramble?

Inpenetrable!!!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,661 ✭✭✭✭Helix

im not surprised in the slightest to be honest

im beginning to think that im edging towards the thing my signature says i DONT want

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,452 ✭✭✭Time Magazine

villains77 wrote: »
    Playing Fiorentina on August 8, the Saturday before the league kicks off. Ryanair doing flights for €30 return, tickets cost "between £10-£20" for adults. Reminiscent of Inter a couple seasons ago.
    anybody going over for this match

Yup. With six friends. It shall be awesome, even if four of them know nothing about football. See ye all in the Shakespeare Inn off New Street where I will (as always) be gawking at my favourite barmaid in the world.

Helix wrote: »
    im not surprised in the slightest to be honest

im beginning to think that im edging towards the thing my signature says i DONT want

a "source" within the club has rubbished this

*puts away burning martin o'neill effigy*

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,323 ✭✭✭Savman

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=51847508&postcount=11

my first post of the mon reign

and im still right :P

*edit*

and theres my second

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=51847488&postcount=47

and you know what, im STILL right :D
    Good shout tbh. Same old same old MON getting a bit tired of it now, feeling a bit duped by all the high and mighty talk when Lerner took over.

Transfer window officially open until 31st August, but I'm not holding my breath. Owen, Tuncay...even Bentley...hardly jaw dropping names to be linked with for a club supposedly trying to break the Top 4. I have yet to see any indication fron MON/the club that they want to do anything other than cement 6th place again.

Most painful thing about that recent DOL interview is that he was spot on when he criticized MON :eek:

• Advertisement

yeah, he came across like a complete and utter tit, but he was right with what he said. dol got 6th on a shoestring, mon tried his best to throw it away after spending £50m+ last year

time for my annual "we need a (proper, not the shambles english clubs usually have) director of football" battle cry

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,219 ✭✭✭invincibleirish

Yep i've agreed with the call for a DoF before as well, but we all know MON would be out the door like that.

And to be fair to Bramble, he has apparently improved his concentration & game this season but why is it when Spurs & Utd go to Wigan they got Valencia & Palacios, we go in for Emile Heskey & get linked to Titus Bumble :mad: ugh.

Not asking much, just one signing worth getting worked up over, then he can carry on getting his work horses and donkeys as he sees fit. I do not want to see more of the same "counter attack" game that everyone copped onto last season. :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,900 ✭✭✭Eire-Dearg

Twice the player Laursen ever was.
    12.11 Speculation continues to link Aston Villa with Wigan defender Titus Bramble. The latest reports suggest Barry Bannan could be used as a makeweight in any deal.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,924 ✭✭✭shoutman

Villa reject talk of Bramble move
    Thu 02 Jul, 12:14 PM

Aston Villa have dismissed speculation that they are set to make a move for Wigan central defender Titus Bramble.
    Villa were reported to be lining up a move for the former Newcastle player in a £3.5 million deal plus promising midfielder Barry Bannan.
    But Villa sources insist Bramble is not on manager Martin O'Neill's radar.
    O'Neill is desperate to bring in a new central defender following the retirement of skipper Martin Laursen.
    But it is understood there are no imminent signings about to happen at Villa.

Thank god for that.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,879 Mod ✭✭✭✭Bounty Hunter

bet MON had the same reaction to Bramble as all of us, see how quick it got denied

bet MON had the same reaction to Bramble as all of us, see how quick it got denied

id rather we heard less about who we're not signing from the club and more about who we are though

id rather we heardless abotu who we're not signing from the club and more about who we are though

of course thats stating the obvious but i bet most Villa fans are happy to hear that us signing Bramble (and letting Bannan go as part of the deal) is total bollox

oh aye defo

it was more in reference to mon on r5 last night saying no players are close to signing, but we have irons in the fire because we have a small squad and we have to look to improve that side of things

usual copy and past rubbish

just shut up and get it done martin, youve had since the end of january to figure out what and who we need

• Registered Users Posts: 857 ✭✭✭wynters

To be honest – I think it’s a disgrace that they’ve let it go this long without signing someone…

The last 4 months of the season were a disaster – and we’ve since lost two of our best and most experienced players so the fans need a lift big time. There could easily have been a signing or two made by now to lift the atmosphere around the club. Instead it’s been left to fester…

Also, in terms of trying to attract ‘better players’ to the club – a lethargic attitude isn’t exactly a sign of any great ambition… Other clubs are playing the game. Look at City - Barry & RSC signed – Tevez and Eto’o on the way aswell probably… There’s a buzz about that club now and available players look at that and think – “Yeah, they’re going places!” It definitely makes them more attractive. Can that be said of Villa so far this summer???? Not even close...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,283 ✭✭✭Smegball

Villa interested in Downing according to the Daily Mail.
    Villa look to thwart Spurs to signing of long term target Downing

Aston Villa have inquired about Middlesbrough’s England winger Stewart Downing.

Any move would be complicated by the fact Downing will not return until October from the foot injury he suffered at the end of last season, but Villa may look at the option of a loan deal with a view to a permanent move.

Downing is also a long-term target for Tottenham, but Boro are desperate to generate cash from player sales to balance the books in the wake of their relegation from the Premier League.

Lack of quotes and why would you be interested when you have Ashley Young playing in that position :confused:

Smegball wrote: »
    why would you be interested when you have Ashley Young playing in that position :confused:

Nothing lasts forever, Ash will surely be the next to get restless and want out.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,793 ✭✭✭✭JPA

Nothing lasts forever, Ash will surely be the next to get restless and want out.

If we signed Downing, Ashley could be moved centrally or too a freer role.

Why are you all so depressed and pessimistic?

JPA wrote: »

Why are you all so depressed and pessimistic?

Shit weather down here the past few days

a lot of people foolishly expected signings on July 1st because Villa tend to do business secretley so on the first date that you can register players (not the first day the window is open as that is open as its been open since the season ended) some assumed that deals which had been speculated as already having been done (bentley) would be announced...

they werent (of course) instead MON went on the radio and perhaps trying to stop all the "its July were are our signings!!!" type of comments you can see on Villa forums atm and repeated his usual retoric about how no players were about to sign but that he knew we obviously needed them and he was working on it.

this has all lead to Villa fans posting in a negative veign and sure negativity begets negativity... plus of course Helix is back too ;)

• Advertisement

you can register players from a minute past midnight the day after the season ends, but ONLY players from english clubs. foriegners and bosmans come in on july 1st

the fact is that mon shouldve known a long time ago who he wanted. he shouldve stuck bids in the day after the season finished and opened dialogue before heading off on his holiday for a fortnight. at least then things wouldve started, instead he (seems to) prick around completely unsure of who he wants to sign, release the same press release every week, and then sign filler for a few million instead of actually going out and bringing in proven first teamers

we've finished top 6 twice in a row, so i dont buy that proven first teamers wont join us. nor do i buy that his targets are never available. nor do i buy that hes "looking for quality".

heading into his 4th season we havent signed anyone during his entire reign that we couldnt have signed under o'leary

thats damning

With regards signings, do you realise a lot of you are echoing EVERY other clubs forums and fans?

With regards signings, do you realise a lot of you are echoing EVERY other clubs forums and fans?

for the last 3 years?

Helix mentions MON on holidays and yes i can confirm, MON was on holidays in my part of the world in west Cork a few weeks ago. I cannot confirm however him being on the phone making the deals, more likely he was enjoying himself with his family.

As for signings, we will sign people and will probably spend a fair whack on a collection of players similar to last summer but won't be anywhere near enough to crack the top 4 over the season, i don't think Lerner or MON has the wherewithdrawal in them to compete on that level without driving the club or Lerner hugely into debt.

for the last 3 years?

I think most of us were pretty happy with the signings last summer eh?

I think most of us were pretty happy with the signings last summer eh?

relatively so on paper

in hindsight, they werent very good

it was more january that destroyed us tho. we knew laursen was in trouble from december, yet the only player we sign is a useless lump who the manager changes the entire system form

how wonderful

its july 2nd and im sick of the transfer window already, even sicker than i am of mons nonsense

anyone got a spare time machine?

I always think these forums are funny though i mean who are you all (the folk JPA referred to as coming across as depressed & Pessimistic) trying to convince? i mean we all know and agree that MON (and any manager in reality, so yes i agree these comments are just echoing other fans comments) should have known who he wanted and got them signed up as early as possible. if you are just venting that he hasnt then fair enough but ill wait till something actually does happen to criticise/applaud it.

I dunno what is about transfers that makes us all crazy.
    Can anyone sum it up for me?

I dunno what is about transfers that makes us all crazy.
    Can anyone sum it up for me?
    19FCB47E-CAFF-FCA0-DA7EAFDBFF8EBB4B.jpg

:D

i dont actually think hes as much of a donkey as others tbh

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 845 ✭✭✭V1llianous

I think the transfer window is like dating - you get set up by a "mate" who knows someone who fancies you, then you get more information and excited as she sounds like Lisa Snowdon only to finally find out when she arrives that is in fact Lisa Riley :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,951 ✭✭✭✭Villain

I think we could sign David Villa, Messi, Xavi and Puyol and Helix still wouldn't be happy, ffs you'd swear every club around us has signed 10 players

Another Carew or Ashley-esque would shut me up good 'n proper. After that he could buy whoever he wants :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,154 ✭✭✭✭Neil3030

Granted a lot of clubs around us haven't acted, or only signed a player or two, but that's completely irrelevant in my book. We have needs, critical needs, that require addressing and an increasingly irritated base of fans that probably haven't felt good about the club since January (or in Helix's case, maybe some time in the 1990s...).

The point is, dicking us around with no transfer activity makes the club look disinterested and amateurish. Our first team could well be a top signing or three away from being top contenders, but we're hearing nothing from the club but the usual spiel and every day the standard of player linked with the club is getting ever more insulting.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,951 ✭✭✭DSB

This is just a regular thing, O'Neill hesitates, and doesn't end up with the standard of player required to make the jump or even stand still with the teams that will be biting at the heels. I'd say its becoming increasingly likely that he can't do it. If Villa finish 7th or lower this season he should go. And if he doesn't jump he should be pushed. Obviously no1 wants this to be the case, but right now, its the one I'm predicting.

aspettare aspettare

• Advertisement

aspettare aspettare

id rather not

players should be brought in before pre season training, not after 2 games of the season

strange i didnt notice pre-season training had started, not saying we will have new players by then just saying...

aspettare aspettare

strange i didnt notice pre-season training had started, not saying we will have new players by then just saying...

aspettare aspettare

yesterday innit?

maybe i got mixed up (didnt think we had returned to training as usually SSN is talking non stop about the clubs being back etc and going round the grounds when they have) ill hold my hand up and admit im wrong if so.

just saying can you wait before you get so negative cmon like i said its not like you need to convince any of us we should be active atm but who knows MON can still get the players in, it helps nobody you coming on here and saying see i told ya MON wouldent get the job done its now July 2nd and weve signed nobody yada yada yada

Fairly sure we're not training yet.
    It's be on the OS.

• Advertisement

Villain wrote: »
    I think we could sign David Villa, Messi, Xavi and Puyol and Helix still wouldn't be happy, ffs you'd swear every club around us has signed 10 players

youre just being ridiculous now

i might be wrong, theres a few back alright. maybe we're back next week

i could be wrong but i think only championship clubs have returned to training like i think Newcastle players went back yesterday, as obviously their season starts earlier

that could be it so

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,518 ✭✭✭matrim

I read somewhere (can't remember where) that we are back training on the 14th

first friendly is the 18th, id expect the manager would want at least a weeks worth of preseason before the first game

and the 14th is just 4 weeks of a pre season

surely not?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,518 ✭✭✭matrim

it does seem short. Maybe it was just for the guys who were with the u21's

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,016 ✭✭✭mirwillbeback

saw that... absolutely insane

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,420 ✭✭✭Doodee

looks sweaty

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement