Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Aston Villa Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,154 ✭✭✭✭Neil3030

vassel5.jpg

If he gets to tap any of that there is no God.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,299 ✭✭✭villains77

when did he sign for them nice pics lol wouldnt mind one of them :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,483 ✭✭✭Töpher

Pffft, the one in the centre looks like Tevez! :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,793 ✭✭✭✭JPA

Just read we're back in pre season training next Thursday the 9th.
    So we can all have a nice little freak out if no one is signed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,535 ✭✭✭Raekwon

Could be decent back up for Gabby?
    Villa face competition from Spurs for Sweden under-21 striker Marcus Berg. Villa are said to be lining up an £8m bid for the 22-year-old, who recently impressed during the European under-21 Championship, where he scored seven goals in four games. However, Spurs boss Harry Redknapp is said to be also considering a move for Berg, who plays for Dutch club FC Groningen.

Btw I lol'ed at that Vassell transfer story :D It seems like the Turkish league have the new Kevin Campbell, I just hope that their chairman can keep his racial slurs to a minimum.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,879 Mod ✭✭✭✭Bounty Hunter

just read that Hangeland is being linked away from Fulham as he has not travelled with the side who have just flown off to Australia for a pre season camp and tour of some sorts and that Villa is one of the main possibilities.

would certainly welcome that should it be true

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,661 ✭✭✭✭Helix

nothing to the hangeland thing, he had internationals for norway not too long ago so he'll likely have gotten an extra week off

amir zaki saying we offered £11m for him in january, if thats true then it means we had plenty of money and still decided to buy a **** forward and no defender

Helix wrote: »
    amir zaki saying we offered £11m for him in january, if thats true then it means we had plenty of money and still decided to buy a **** forward and no defender

id be as likely to believe you saying you wanted to have MON's babies as i would anything Amir zaki says

• Advertisement

id be as likely to believe you saying you wanted to have MON's babies as i would anything Amir zaki says

seems a pretty odd thing to come out with though. loads of quotes from him and fairly detailed stuff, would be a little odd for him just to spit it out for no reason whatsoever if it was random made up stuff

seems a pretty odd thing to come out with though. loads of quotes from him and fairly detailed stuff, would be a little odd for him just to spit it out for no reason whatsoever if it was random made up stuff

Zaki has an absolutley terrible reputation and saying that simply serves the purpose of making people think o yeah he was good back before injuries / falling out with the boss wasnt he maybe hed be worth a gamble.

MON is known to scrutinise potential players personality before bidding on them also to ensure they could fit in with the group he already has aswell as scrutinise deals for the best price possible so 11m for the man Brucie described as "the most unprofessional player he had ever worked with." just seems a bit off for me.

there is a reason Zaki is back at El Zamelek atm and im sure he is well of our radar (I know your werennt suggesting he was on it now)

the things about zaki being an utter c1nt hadnt come out at that stage though, that was well after chrimbo wasnt it?

the things about zaki being an utter c1nt hadnt come out at that stage though, that was well after chrimbo wasnt it?

it was but that is just regarding brucies comment, dunno would MON who is always slated as taking ages over transfers and scutinising peoples personalities really offer 11m for someone only half a season out of obscurity anyway let alone the fact that he is suppposed to be a cnut.

plus i would think even tho at that point he was held in high regard by some 11m would have been accepted so i think (although of course i could be wrong) its complete bollix.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,219 ✭✭✭invincibleirish

MON no doubt highly analysed nutters Bellamy & Collymore when he took a punt on them, so i'd believe and welcome Zaki now or 7 months ago despite his baggage.

I wonder what hed actually cost now? nowhere near 11m im sure

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,900 ✭✭✭Eire-Dearg

Dodged a bullet with Zaki, so ye did. £11m quid!

• Registered Users Posts: 857 ✭✭✭wynters

More tabloids linking us with that Swedish U-21 lad Marcus Berg today. He looked very good during that tournament alright and O'Neill does like the odd Scandinavian, but if there is any truth in it, it would make you wonder what kind of scouting network we have if we're chasing a player who's had a few good games - scoring twice against England! - and becomes flavour of the month...?

This is the most frustrating transfer window yet. P/ssing me right off.

For those very reasons I'd say we're not in the tank for that kid at all. Just another 2+2=5 makey up story from the rags.

More Twitter feed news :pac: I've asked for a decent source, will post if I get one.

http://twitter.com/TheSportReview/status/2495720467
    Amr Zaki is close to a £11 million move to Martin O'Neill's Aston Villa according to the 26-year-old's Egyptian's agent.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 54,680 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

Villa fans do ye see young going this summer?

• Advertisement

Headshot wrote: »
    Villa fans do ye see young going this summer?

Nah, he's our only Right back.

JPA wrote: »
    Nah, he's our only Right back.

:)
    Ashley young

:)
    Ashley young

I see in the United thread you're all dreaming of signing Ashley but it won't happen this year.

I see in the United thread you're all dreaming of signing Ashley but it won't happen this year.

Bookmarking this now

Bookmarking this now

Just because you believe it won't make it happen.
    How much would you pay for him?

Just because you believe it won't make it happen.
    How much would you pay for him?

The recent owen transfer has thought me anything is possible

Id pay around 25m

Id pay around 25m

You won't get him for that in this crazy transfer market.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,372 ✭✭✭✭Mr Alan

LoL 25m :rolleyes:

If last summer has thought you anything Headshot, it should be that O'Neill won't budge on transfer price & fair play to him.

I'd imagine it'd take closer to 50m for him to consider letting Young go.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,249 ✭✭✭✭Kinetic^

Sure it's grand, ye got Valencia.

• Registered Users Posts: 857 ✭✭✭wynters

haha! Dream on! :)

O'Neill showed last year during the Barry saga that he's well able to protect his own players from top 4 sides. Young just signed a new deal so he won't be going anywhere this summer...

Re: Zaki??? Not sure he's the type of robust player we need. We already have 2 big lads up front? We need a 'fox in the box' to play off those big men. Not another battering ram.

• Advertisement

Id pay around 25m

O'Neill would only sell for nearly double that.

Kinetic^ wrote: »
    Sure it's grand, ye got Valencia.

Shows what you know valencia is a RW

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,323 ✭✭✭Savman

Ashley Young = funny money.

Shows what you know valencia is a RW

Shows what you know about irony.

Bookmarking this now

united signing young now would be the most retarded thing fergie has ever done

young would cost at least £25m, but hes nowhere near a £25m player. its one of these situations where the player isnt worth close to the transfer fee, but nothing lower would be accepted

as it stands hes just too inconsistent. he needs at least another year at villa and i think he knows that

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,924 ✭✭✭shoutman

young would cost at least £25m, but hes nowhere near a £25m player. its one of these situations where the player isnt worth close to the transfer fee, but nothing lower would be accepted

as it stands hes just too inconsistent. he needs at least another year at villa and i think he knows that

I agree that it would suit Young better to stay at Villa in the short term then moving to somewhere like United, however I think he has shown the ability to be a world class player, there is still plenty more to come from him and in today's transfer market I think Young is worth 25mil.

If Arsenal signed Wilcott as a 16 year old, then Young is definitely worth the 25 mill now.

Either way the point is mute as I would be shocked and appalled if he was allowed to leave the club during the summer.

if united put in a big enough bid itll be accepted, but id be amazed if they did

last season showed hes a long way off world class

*edit*

also walcott only cost arsenal £8m all in all iirc, loads of it was for add ons and competition wins, but when saints hit their dodgy financial patch a while back arsenal paid £2m to them to close the add ons

May not be helix.

Look at ronaldo when he came to utd first he was also inconsistent but saf worked his magic on him and now look at ronaldo. Young is at a good team(iv alot of respect for villa)but will mon make him a better player compared to saf im unsure.

May not be helix.

Look at ronaldo when he came to utd first he was also inconsistent but saf worked his magic on him and now look at ronaldo. Young is at a good team(iv alot of respect for villa)but will mon make him a better player compared to saf im unsure.

ronaldo was a far superior player to young currently is when he joined united

we watch young every week, trust us here. just coz he looks decent on the occasional highlights show and won ypoty doesnt mean he was worth a shyte in the second half of the season last year

• Advertisement

ronaldo was a far superior player to young currently is when he joined united

we watch young every week, trust us here. just coz he looks decent on the occasional highlights show and won ypoty doesnt mean he was worth a shyte in the second half of the season last year

Tbf most of the team stop performing in the 2nd half of the season

I just looked up young and was very surprised to see he's 23, I thought he was younger

I just looked up young and was very surprised to see he's 23, I thought he was younger

a world class player wouldnt have just forgotten how to cross the ball and stopped performing coz the rest of the team were struggling tho

he WILL be a top notch player, hes just not as close as some people think yet, and he doesnt do well under pressure so united could destroy him if he went prematurely

and hes couple of months younger than ronaldo iirc

Some people think he's some sort of wunderkind but he's 24 Thursday.
    He's a very very good player and I would be gutted if he left but he's not worth what would have to be paid.
    I think maybe fatigue or something contributed to the 2nd half of last season.
    He was never rested as there was no replacement.
    I think and it's 50% hope, that he will have his best season yet coming up.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,452 ✭✭✭Time Magazine

To be honest Ashley Young was nothing on Stan Petrov in the second half of the season. I know they're nothing alike, but in terms of quality performances, Ash wasn't far above average in a poor Villa team. Luke Young performed better than him in the second half of the season tbh.

But yeah, he signed a big contract around Christmas time so he won't be going for less than £25m.

he aint a spring chicken (infact i think im a day or two older than him) but would still cost atleast 25m and that would only be if he wanted to go. I do agreee with Headshot though about singling him out as apart from the two The Economist mentioned (Petrov/L.Young) and perhaps Carew everyone dissapointed at the end of the season. I do think that this will be a big season for him though if only because he is very much so on the fringe of the England squad and its a World Cup year plus im assuming (nobody signed yet) Villa will have someone brought in to mean that he wont have to play every single game, be that Bentley with Milner able to switch the LW or whoever.

not that likely but its the type of thing i like to read, Falcao was linked a few times before but i think the Cavani one is new
    edinson-cavani-and-radamel-falcao-382315670.jpg
    TWO of South America’s hottest striking talents have issued “come and get me” pleas to Martin O’Neill.

Edinson Cavani, a six-foot tall Uruguayan international, who plays for Palermo in Serie A, and River Plate’s Colombian international Radamel Falcao are both trying to engineer moves to the upper end of the Premier League.

Both are in high demand not only because of their talent but also their availability with their clubs looking to set up quick deals.

Cavani, 22, is currently valued at £12.8 million by Palermo but the Italians will probably have to accept far less.

West Ham had been tracking him for some time and saw an offer rejected last summer before pulling out of a move when they were quoted £14.2 million earlier this year.

Falcao appeared on the verge of signing for Benfica last week but then reports suggested that Liverpool had lodged an offer to sign the 23-year-old.

But agents working on his behalf have contacted Villa within the last few days to try to set up a deal.

O’Neill is on the look-out for quality additions all over the pitch.

His priorities are not up front but remain getting a centre-back and a midfielder.

It is understood Matthew Upson, Sylvain Distin and Wes Brown are being looked at for the defensive position while a move for David Bentley still looks likely.

Nicknamed ‘El Matador’, Cavani starred at the 2007 South American Youth Championship and signed for Palermo in January, 2007.

He scored an astonishing goal on his debut in a home league match against Fiorentina, coming on in the 55th minute and netting a volley reminiscent of Marco van Basten’s in the 1988 European Championships.

Falcao plays for Juan Pablo Angel’s former club in Argentina and his current asking price is slightly over £6.4 million, although a smaller sum is likely to nab him.

Villa were heavily linked in the Argentine press with a move for the player referred to by his nickname ‘El Tigre’ 18 months ago but nothing materialised.

The Colombian has a scoring record of 34 goals in 88 League games for his club side though a serious injury in 2005 hampered his career.

Falcao has suffered from a number of niggling injuries as a direct result of tearing his anterior cruciate ligaments three years ago.

Now back to full fitness he is living up to his early promise and looks set for a move to Europe this summer.

O’Neill has been mulling over a move for Sweden’s young hot-shot Marcus Berg but it is believed Fulham and Tottenham have stolen a march on them by firming up their interest

players linked in this article:

defenders: Wes Brown, Upson, Distin
    Midfield: Bentley
    Forwards: Berg, Cavani, Falcao

• Advertisement

That is such a makey up story it's unbelievable.

hahaha yeh, shocking bit of journalism there

hahaha yeh, shocking bit of journalism there

Bill Howell at his best ;)

ahaha was it howell?

see a couple of weeks ago he had an exclusive claiming we were close to signing samir carruthers from arsenal?

what bill failed to realise was that we signed him in may

ahaha was it howell?

see a couple of weeks ago he had an exclusive claiming we were close to signing samir carruthers from arsenal?

what bill failed to realise was that we signed him in may

yeah it was Bill, checked again quickly to make sure but it was him. sure throw enough mud Bill and some is bound to stick. 7 players linked in 1 article ha

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement