Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Aston Villa Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,879 Mod ✭✭✭✭Bounty Hunter

orourkeda wrote: »
    Thats a little unfair. Shouldnt he wait for the right players to come along rather than bowing to unnecessary fan pressure to make signings?

Theres a point that all of his signings havent been perfect and thats fair but theres plenty of time yet. If nothing has changed with a week to go before the season starts then we should start getting worried.

yeah but selling young for 15m & Huddelstone is madness

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,246 ✭✭✭Esse85

There's nooooo way Young will be sold to Spuds full stop, Im surprised at you Helix.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,918 ✭✭✭✭orourkeda

yeah but selling young for 15m & Huddelstone is madness

He wont be sold for £15 million (at least I hope so). I'd be even more surprised if he were sold to Tottenham.

I would have thought if Chelseas interest were to persist then this figure would be close to doubled. Could you really expect the club to ignore a £20 million plus bid.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,661 ✭✭✭✭Helix

Esse85 wrote: »
    There's nooooo way Young will be sold to Spuds full stop, Im surprised at you Helix.

very little would surprise me with mon any more tbh

sure 2 months ago there was nooooo way barry would be sold to anyone outside the top 4

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,951 ✭✭✭✭Villain

Thats a little unfair. Shouldnt he wait for the right players to come along rather than bowing to unnecessary fan pressure to make signings?

Theres a point that all of his signings havent been perfect and thats fair but theres plenty of time yet. If nothing has changed with a week to go before the season starts then we should start getting worried.

Oh you mean you haven't heard? MON doesn't want to sign players and any player that he wants to sign doesn't want to come, Lerner has only made 30 million available and Martin O'Neill should be sacked now, because another manager would have 6 or 7 top 6 players signed and we would easily be in the top 4 next year.

As it stands we should have Ellis and O'Leary back.

Honestly it embarrasing to be called a Villa Fan when you read some of the crap other fans post.

I like you will wait and see and I don't believe any other manager that would come to Villa would be better than MON

• Advertisement

Could you really expect the club to ignore a £20 million plus bid.

on past form itd cost about £40m in dud transfers before we replaced him though lol

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,323 ✭✭✭Savman

If the money is right, sell him.
    :eek:
    Could you really expect the club to ignore a £20 million plus bid.
    Hell f*cking yeah.

It's cost at least that to replace him, so his value to AVFC is impossible to put a figure on.

Villain wrote: »
    Oh you mean you haven't heard? MON doesn't want to sign players and any player that he wants to sign doesn't want to come, Lerner has only made 30 million available and Martin O'Neill should be sacked now, because another manager would have 6 or 7 top 6 players signed and we would easily be in the top 4 next year.

yeah, except nobody has said half of that
    Honestly it embarrasing to be called a Villa Fan when you read some of the crap other fans post.

not as embarrassing as the above quote

the "its villa so its BRILLIANT, even if its not" brigade do my head in

I like you will wait and see and I don't believe any other manager that would come to Villa would be better than MON
    No, but that don't mean the sun shines out of MON's arse either. I really like MON, but he looked under serious pressure the last few months like a man struggling to hold onto what he had rather than barking at the heels of the big dogs.

Helix wrote: »

Not far from it tbh.

Seriously some fans are just negative ALL of the time, there is no pleasing them.

I don't think many people are saying that, my point is people are complaining about MON contsantly, but what other manager would we get that would be better with Villa and the money we have?

I'm just sick of the negativity, just no-one any good

• Advertisement

OK. So Martin O'Neill Leaves. What happens then? We all click our fingers and Jose Mourinho takes over and wins the Champions League.

Get a grip. He's about as good as we can get at the present and he's not doing all that badly. Considering he's up against 4 of the strongest and wealthiest clubs in the world we shouldnt be complaining

Savman wrote: »
    :eek:

Hell f*cking yeah.

It's cost at least that to replace him, so his value to AVFC is impossible to put a figure on.

He cost £9.65 Million I believe. This would mean a healthy profit. You want the club to turn down a ridiculous offer because you think he cant be replaced for a reasonable fee

OK. So Martin O'Neill Leaves. What happens then? We all click our fingers and Jose Mourinho takes over and wins the Champions League.

Get a grip. He's about as good as we can get at the present and he's not doing all that badly. Considering he's up against 4 of the strongest and wealthiest clubs in the world we shouldnt be complaining

if a manager who plays players out of position, is tactically inept, is slow and unambitious in the transfer market and refuses to drop his favourites is the best we can get, they we might as well just give up

*cuts up season ticket*

:p

I'm just sick of the negativity, just no-one any good

and pretending everything is great does?

Who do you replace him with?

Arsene Wenger? Jose Mourinho? Frank Rijkaard? I Agree with you Who can the club replace him with that can do a better job

Who do you replace him with?

Arsene Wenger? Jose Mourinho? Frank Rijkaard? I Agree with you Who can the club replace him with that can do a better job

you do know the post you quoted is completly sarcastic right

if a manager who plays players out of position, is tactically inept, is slow and unambitious in the transfer market and refuses to drop his favourites is the best we can get, they we might as well just give up

*cuts up season ticket*

:p

You cut up your season ticket. Go and support Manchester City

you do know the post you quoted is completly sarcastic right

Thanks

and pretending everything is great does?

Who said everything is great?

I'm realistic, I lost the plot with MON over some of the decision's he made last year too but I know one thing about MON, he gives everything he has got and he will have the clubs best interests at heart.

He's not perfect but imo he the best we can possibly hope to get at the moment, perhaps he will bring us as far as he can and then hopefully another top class manager will come in and take us further, I'm just sick of the constant negative posts against MON and Villa.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,219 ✭✭✭invincibleirish

Considering he's up against 4 of the strongest and wealthiest clubs in the world we shouldnt be complaining

2 out of our 3 top class players have left/retired & This Villa squad bombed in the 2nd half of last season in spectacular circumstances, we can complain all we like. And thats before we get to the now perennial issues of a tiny squad & the fullback issue.

Our Woody Allen may have a certain charm about him, but Villa are not up against the top 4 but against Spurs, City & Everton who all beat Villa in the second half of last season comfortably after they strenghtened in Jan and Villa Didn't. We can't have have another Summer 2007 where Villa signed poorly, or can't afford to have the failure rate of last seasons signings. To stay where we are (top 8) the Villa squad needs several top notch signings.

• Advertisement

You cut up your season ticket. Go and support Manchester City

why would i go support city :confused:

perhaps he will bring us as far as he can

he already has imo

Who said everything is great?

I'm realistic, I lost the plot with MON over some of the decision's he made last year too but I know one thing about MON, he gives everything he has got and he will have the clubs best interests at heart.

He's not perfect but imo he the best we can possibly hope to get at the moment, perhaps he will bring us as far as he can and then hopefully another top class manager will come in and take us further, I'm just sick of the constant negative posts against MON and Villa.

Indeed. We can't and shouldn't expect miracles. The club are going in the right direction. Thats the main thing. Nobody can ask any more than that. The club are not in a position to compete at champions league level but are certainly on the up. Perhaps it's best not to achieve too much too soon. Regular european qualification should be seen as a bonus.

Who can the club replace him with that can do a better job

who knows?

nobody can answer that no more than you can answer who we could replace him with who would do a worse job

thats what interviews are for

he already has imo
    Well I don't see how we can know that yet, who would rather see manage us that would actually come i.e. dreaming of Jose etc is just laughable

Well I don't see how we can know that yet, who would rather see manage us that would actually come i.e. dreaming of Jose etc is just laughable

why do you keep mentioning mourinho? i certainly never have

if you think that hes the next logical step from mon then youve got problems

there are more than a handful of steps on the ladder between the 2

I see....on one hand we're somehow 'lucky' to have someone like MON in charge, yet when it comes to the likes of Ashley Young, Martin Laursen, John Carew and Gareth Barry all of a sudden "nobody is irreplacable". Hmmm.....

2 out of our 3 top class players have left/retired & This Villa squad bombed in the 2nd half of last season in spectacular circumstances, we can complain all we like. And thats before we get to the now perennial issues of a tiny squad & the fullback issue.

Our Woody Allen may have a certain charm about him, but Villa are not up against the top 4 but against Spurs, City & Everton who all beat Villa in the second half of last season comfortably after they strenghtened in Jan and Villa Didn't. We can't have have another Summer 2007 where Villa signed poorly, or can't afford to have the failure rate of last seasons signings. To stay where we are (top 8) the Villa squad needs several top notch signings.

As a matter of interest, who do you suggest as replacements for the players that have gone?

Spurs have at least 7 players that i can think of that cost at least £10 million. They finished below us. Manchester Citys owners is one of the wealthiest people on earth. David Moyes has been Everton manager for the guts of a decade. Each club holds a distinct advantage. Villa also beat all 3 clubs last season.

why do you keep mentioning mourinho? i certainly never have

if you think that hes the next logical step from mon then youve got problems

there are more than a handful of steps on the ladder between the 2

Thats the first time I have mentioned Jose, perhaps you are getting posts mixed up. :o

I don't think he would ever come to Villa unless we got owners like Man City, so who's next on the ladder?

There is only thing worse than complaining about something, complaining and not having a solution or a suggested solution

• Advertisement

Villa also beat all 3 clubs last season.
    WRONG. Everton finished ahead of us which means far more than results between the two clubs tbh.

Oh, btw! We beat them 3-2 at Goodison thanks to a wonder goal by none other than Ashley Young. How ironic eh.

I see....on one hand we're somehow 'lucky' to have someone like MON in charge, yet when it comes to the likes of Ashley Young, Martin Laursen, John Carew and Gareth Barry all of a sudden "nobody is irreplacable". Hmmm.....

Players like Lursen and Barry and not easily replacable imo, but playes are lot easier to find than managers.

Thats the first time I have mentioned Jose, perhaps you are getting posts mixed up. :o

I don't think he would ever come to Villa unless we got owners like Man City, so who's next on the ladder?

There is only thing worse than complaining about something, complaining and not having a solution or a suggested solution

my solution is for mon to cop himself on and sort himself out

if he leaves next summer, which i think he probably will, then we have to see whos available. its not black and white, there is no cast iron "better" or "worse" just varying degrees of different

Yes. That sums it up. Martin O'Neill is one of the better managers around. We should keep him for as long as we can.

I'm simply saying that in todays climate the club needs to pragmatic in its transfer dealings. I cant see any reason why a fair and reasonable transfer fee cant be at least be considered for one of our players.It doesnt have to be accepted

Players like Lursen and Barry and not easily replacable imo, but playes are lot easier to find than managers.
    Riiiight. How could I forget, the 'top class player' store open late tonight?

Martin O'Neill is one of the better managers around

inability to buy a right back, then when he does he plays him at left back
    constantly playing players out of position
    refusing to drop players clearly out of form
    one dimensional tactics
    poor signings

this is one of the best managers around?

• Advertisement

I never suggested him as a plausible candidate

Thats my point

Yes. That sums it up. Martin O'Neill is one of the better managers around. We should keep him for as long as we can.
    Ashley Young is one of the better wingers around. We should keep him for as long as we can.
    Young Player Of The Year, btw.

Riiiight. How could I forget, the 'top class player' store open late tonight?

Simple maths really Savman, number of expierenced players in the top leagues > than number of expierenced managers in the top leagues :confused:

I never suggested him as a plausible candidate

Thats my point

nor did anyone else

thats MY point

WRONG. Everton finished ahead of us which means far more than results between the two clubs tbh.

Oh, btw! We beat them 3-2 at Goodison thanks to a wonder goal by none other than Ashley Young. How ironic eh.

Why did you mebtion results then

• Advertisement

my solution is for mon to cop himself on and sort himself out

if he leaves next summer, which i think he probably will, then we have to see whos available. its not black and white, there is no cast iron "better" or "worse" just varying degrees of different

So you don't want him to leave then you just want to bash him every chance you get e.g. 5 posts up

nor did anyone else

thats MY point

who would you replace him with considering all the top managers are not plausible candidates

In fairness, the charges are:
    inability to buy a right back, then when he does he plays him at left back
    Guilty as charged.
    constantly playing players out of position
    NRC at RB? Stop the messin' ffs. Guilty.
    refusing to drop players clearly out of form
    Not guilty beyond a reasonable doubt
    one dimensional tactics
    Guilty
    poor signings
    Not guilty by reason of insanity (Zat Knight, Marlon Harewood, Heskey, Sali-who?)

So you don't want him to leave then you just want to bash him every chance you get e.g. two post up

i bash him because he deserves to be bashed. can you honestly argue with any of the points ive made?

i dont think a manager should be changed until its fairly certain that

1) he has taken the team as far as he can

2) he has proven himself unable to fix his shortcomings

another season will clarify both

if he all of a sudden stops doing the ridiculous stuff he has been, then brilliant, it saves us bringing in a new man. if he doesnt we should thank him for consolidating us as a top half team again and start looking for someone a bit more adventurous/inventive

who would you replace him with considering all the top managers are not plausible candidates

i already addressed that

i bash him because he deserves to be bashed. can you honestly argue with any of the points ive made?

if he all of a sudden stops doing the ridiculous stuff he has been, then brilliant, it saves us bringing in a new man. if he doesnt we should thank him for consolidating us as a top half team again and start looking for someone a bit more adventurous/inventive

Ok so how about we say MON should be manager next season and get behind him for a few months then if he has failed to make signings and we are performing badly we will look at who should replace him and bash him all you want but in the mean time we remain positive and get behind him?

Listen to yourself. Is the club going any higher than 6th anytime soon. With or without Martin O'Neill. Time for a reality check.

Ok so how about we say MON should be manager next season and get behind him for a few months then if he has failed to make signings and we are performing badly we will look at who should replace him and bash him all you want but in the mean time we remain positive and get behind him?
    3 years later, how long should this 'meantime' be? Another three years?

MON is a bollix, MON is the best bollix we can get, Ashley Young is great, we should sell ashley young if they offer xmillion, we should never sell young, our squad is still getting smaller, players are playing out of position, some waffle about spurs.....Yawn

supporting Villa is fun

why? does martin o'neill read boards? will me pretending to have faith in his abilities make him a better manager?

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement