Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Aston Villa Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,792 ✭✭✭✭JPA

Young was linked to United in The People in fairness.
    Weak link though it is.
    Chelsea won't sign him now they have Zhirkov in.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,246 ✭✭✭Esse85

i think it was said on SSN earlier its been talked about on Villa sites for most of the day. Carew doesent want to leave and whealer dealer Redknapp probably isnt willing to pay what itd actually take to get Carew 10m+ (My estimate).

I dont think A.Young is going anywhere, he has been linked only to Chelsea (has died down since Zhirkov signed) and Spurs (sideways move tbh), The man utd stuff was just wishfull thinking on behalf of their fans if im correct and the Barca link was probably bollox...

but to answer Helixs question about what id want to see in if he did leave and in doing so use some realism i.e going by one of the Young links and only who we have been linked to In maybe the below.

...........................Friedel

L.Young....Hangeland...Davies/Cuellar....Bouma

.....................Petrov.....Jenas

Bentley/JM.........Tuncay/JM..........Downing/JM

..........................Carew

Subs: Guzan, Davies/Cuellar, NRC, Sidwell, Winger, Gabby, Heskey

JM = Milner, and the Young deal is the Bentley/Jenas swap which im sure wont happen
    I cant see Bouma back as first choice

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,879 Mod ✭✭✭✭Bounty Hunter

Esse85 wrote: »
    I cant see Bouma back as first choice

honestly I cant really either but I wanna see him return and we have been linked with a surprisingly small amount of LBs considering his Injury and Shoreys last season with Villa. Infact i think we have only been linked with Drenthe / Naughton and neither is an out an out LB, drenthe being a attacking WB and Naughton being a RB who can also cover LB.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,154 ✭✭✭✭Neil3030

Apparently Lerner left Brum this morning.

Everyone should be pleased to hear the "next Gerrard" is on MON's radar... :rolleyes:
    Villa lead pack for next Gerrard

Author: Andrew Allen
    Posted on: 09 July 2009 - 13:17
    Category: Football
    Comments: Be the first to comment

Aston Villa are leading the chase for Leeds United’s Fabian Delph according to a report in The Express and Star. The 19-year-old midfielder, labeled the ‘next Steven Gerrard’ in the tabloids is known to have aroused interest across the Premier League with Manchester United, Arsenal, Liverpool, Everton and Newcastle United all rumored to be suitors.

Reports suggest O'Neill is ready to make a bid despite the youngster's inexperience at the top level. The Ulsterman views Delph as a versatile option who can provide cover for winger Ashley Young and bolster the Villans' midfield, an area he has been looking to strengthen following Gareth Barry's departure to Manchester City early in the summer.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 17,661 ✭✭✭✭Helix

way too much money for someone whos never even played in the championship tbh

theyre reported to be looking for £7m

Neil3030 wrote: »
    Apparently Lerner left Brum this morning.

interesting. possibly means some stuff has been tied up, budgets agreed, papers signed and wage structure agreed for targets

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,518 ✭✭✭matrim

Everyone should be pleased to hear the "next Gerrard" is on MON's radar... :rolleyes:

Quality reporting there :)
    Aston Villa are leading the chase for Leeds United’s Fabian Delph according to a report in The Express and Star. The 19-year-old midfielder, labeled the ‘next Steven Gerrard’ in the tabloids is known to have aroused interest across the Premier League with Manchester United, Arsenal, Liverpool, Everton and Newcastle United all rumored to be suitors.

Reports suggest O'Neill is ready to make a bid despite the youngster's inexperience at the top level. The Ulsterman views Delph as a versatile option who can provide cover for winger Ashley Young and bolster the Villans' midfield, an area he has been looking to strengthen following Gareth Barry's departure to Manchester City early in the summer.

Helix wrote: »
    interesting. possibly means some stuff has been tied up, budgets agreed, papers signed and wage structure agreed for targets

Hopefully. We signed Sidwell on July 10th last year so things really should be getting moving in the next few days.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 869 ✭✭✭The Hustler

Yiz have got our Fabian Delph for £6 million apparently :(:(

Look after him, won't you, he's f*cking amazing

• Advertisement

You must be a Leeds fan? Any news that isn't in the press from your side?

How would you describe Delph? I don't think I've seen him play.

Yiz have got our Fabian Delph for £6 million apparently

way too much money

waaaaaaay too much

do you have a source for this, ive heard such rumours myself and it isnt new that weve been linked but ive heard nothing offical. IMO this signing if it goes through is the long term Barry replacement, not the same type of player exactley but as weve said before its not the same type of player we neccesarily need to partner Petrov in midfield.

now looks like

Delph
    Downing
    tuncay

maybe Distin (a CB) and a wing back atleast atm

way too much money

waaaaaaay too much

If it's broken up, over time, appearances etc, it's a good deal. If he turns out good that is.
    There's no bargains anymore.

JPA wrote: »
    If it's broken up, over time, appearances etc, it's a good deal. If he turns out good that is.
    There's no bargains anymore.

yeah hopefully its heavily structured

£6m cash tho, thatd be obscene

but i suppose if the manager wants him, then we should pay whatever it takes to get him

If I could get odds, I'd bet on him to make the English World Cup Squad next summer, I **** you not. He'll tear up the Prem. Reminds me of Patrick Viera a lot, he's an absolute class act.

Nothing officially confirmed yet but I've been speaking to a few people close to him in his hometown of Bradford and it's pretty much a done deal. I'd expect an announcement early next week if not sooner. Our first pre season game is saturday and Delph and Beckford have been ommited from the squad. Make of that what you will

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 54,680 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

is that offical about delph?

I had to write an article about Delph for a site- This should give you an insight into the type of player he is

ONE TO WATCH

Fabian Delph

19 - English - Central Midfield - Leeds United

Leeds Uniteds prestigious Thorp Arch Academy has long been regarded as one of the top youth development setups in Britain,
    if not Europe, and over the years has seen an array of talent emerge from its production line. Names such as David Batty,
    Gary Speed, Jonathan Woodgate, Harry Kewell, Alan Smith, Paul Robinson, Aaron Lennon and James Milner are just some of the
    once precocious teenagers to make the step up from the Yorkshire clubs conveyor belt to full senior and international
    stardom, but very few young starlets have gotten the Leeds fans (and certain 'in the know' football fans) quite as excited
    as the emergence of 19 year old midfielder Fabian Delph. It's quite incredible to see the fees being bandied about and clubs
    linked with midfield dynamo considering the 2008/09 season was his first (both Arsenal and Manchester United are rumoured
    to have had 6 million bids turned down in January), but that is a testament to his remarkable contribution to Leeds 08/09
    playoff push campaign, which while admittedly ended in failure, was still notable for the breakthrough of the Bradford
    born youngster.

After a string of impressive performances in Leeds pre-season schedule, Delph was handed the No.15 shirt by then Leeds
    manager Gary McAllister and was given his full senior debut in the 2-5 Carling Cup thumping of Chester City in August '08,
    and he hasn't looked back since. Having amassed 44 appearances and contributing 6 goals (5 of which were included in a short
    list of 8 for Leeds Uniteds Goal of the Season award, which Delph duly won for his 70 yard run and curler into the top
    corner away at Brighton in January '09), Delph was rewarded with a new 4 year contract in a bid to shake off interest from
    potential suitors. These performances soon caught the eye of England U21 boss Stuart Pearce and he was given his U21 debut
    as a substitute with a brief but highly impressive cameo role against Czech Republic in November '08. Recognition from his
    peers soon followed - he was named in the League One Team of the Season as well as being voted the Best Young Player
    outside The Premiership at the season-end PFA awards.

A central midfielder by trade, Delph can also play on the periphary wide on the left when needed, but truely excels in his
    preferred position in the middle. Two-footed, boundless energy and an incredible burst of acceleration from a standing start,
    Delph is a player who is always available for a pass, but it's his ability to find space between the oppositons midfield
    and defence that is the main weaponry in his arsenal. Like a younger, leaner Patrick Viera, his dominance of the midfield
    area, both in possession and without, bely his teenage years, and he is a real nuisance for the opposition, especially his
    marauding runs from midfield which usually leave his counterparts in his wake. Red mist can sometimes descend and he is
    occasionally prone to lunge into tackles recklessly, but with time he should be able to eradicate this from his game.

At his current rate of development, it is not impossible to envisage him lining out for a top 4 club in the very near future,
    such has been the impact he has made in such a short space of time. Off the field incidents aside (Delph was arrested,
    charged and found guilty of drink driving in January '09 and subsequently banned from driving for 18 months), Fabian Delph
    has all the attributes to go right to the very top and is very much one to watch.

not offical but makes perfect sense, he has been highly linked to Villa for quite a while even leaks after the end of season awards dinner at Villa (i think that was the function) where it was widely reported that he was a very likely signing. MON has been spotted at Leeds games a few times also but as with everything MON its never done quick although when it happens it seems like it was done in a day because the media where told feck all.

kinda surprised in one way he hasnt gone to arsenal or even utd,its a great buy for villa but mon will have to manage him in the right way,im not so sure is he a signing for today but maybe the future

• Advertisement

Headshot wrote: »
    kinda surprised in one way he hasnt gone to arsenal or even utd,its a great buy for villa but mon will have to manage him in the right way,im not so sure is he a signing for today but maybe the future

jaysus, he ain't signed or anything.

JPA wrote: »
    jaysus, he ain't signed or anything.
    From the above posts it looks favouriteable(sp?) for villa

Headshot wrote: »
    favouriteable(sp?)

favourable

im always doing that... i regularly get pulled up for trying to use made up words when i just cant think of the right one. its old age i think

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,249 ✭✭✭✭Kinetic^

If I could get odds, I'd bet on him to make the English World Cup Squad next summer, I **** you not. He'll tear up the Prem. Reminds me of Patrick Viera a lot, he's an absolute class act.

Nothing officially confirmed yet but I've been speaking to a few people close to him in his hometown of Bradford and it's pretty much a done deal. I'd expect an announcement early next week if not sooner. Our first pre season game is saturday and Delph and Beckford have been ommited from the squad. Make of that what you will

What are the rumours in relation to Beckford?

villa fixture changes:

Liverpool v Villa - Monday August 24, 8pm - ESPN
    Villa v Fulham - Sunday August 30, 4pm - SKY
    Birmingham v Villa - Sunday September 13, 12noon - SKY
    Villa v Manchester City - Monday October 5, 8pm - ESPN
    Villa v Chelsea - Saturday October 17, 12.45pm - SKY
    Wolves v Villa - Saturday October 24, 12.45pm - SKY
    Villa v Tottenham - Saturday November 28, 5.15pm - ESPN

favourable

im always doing that... i regularly get pulled up for trying to use made up words when i just cant think of the right one. its old age i think

:)

My phone doesnt have auto correct spelling unlike my laptop,its a nice add on in opera

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,492 ✭✭✭MementoMori

Wouldn't be that surprised by the £6m price tag for Delph - I mean it's not entirely unknown for MON to pay slightly over the odds for a player?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,492 ✭✭✭MementoMori

villa fixture changes:

Liverpool v Villa - Monday August 24, 8pm - ESPN
    Villa v Fulham - Sunday August 30, 4pm - SKY
    Birmingham v Villa - Sunday September 13, 12noon - SKY
    Villa v Manchester City - Monday October 5, 8pm - ESPN
    Villa v Chelsea - Saturday October 17, 12.45pm - SKY
    Wolves v Villa - Saturday October 24, 12.45pm - SKY
    Villa v Tottenham - Saturday November 28, 5.15pm - ESPN

Anyone else find the whole ESPN thing a bit weird?

Kinetic^ wrote: »
    What are the rumours in relation to Beckford?

Looks like he's off to Newcastle. It'll be funny as f*ck when the barcodes realise he's no better than Shola Ameobi and has the first touch of a rapist

• Advertisement

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,249 ✭✭✭✭Kinetic^

Will Friedel still be first choice or will his fellow countryman get the nod ahead of him? He's 38 now.

Will Friedel still be first choice or will his fellow countryman get the nod ahead of him? He's 38 now.

Almost certainly.

Friedel will be no.1 for atleast another season imo

and
    Leeds United can confirm that we have received offers direct from two Premier League clubs for Fabian Delph.

The offers have been rejected.

It is not the club's usual policy to comment on speculation. However, in these circumstances we felt it appropriate to clarify the situation.

Approaches have also been made in respect of Jermaine Beckford which have also been rejected

• Registered Users Posts: 857 ✭✭✭wynters

Bates the cnut.

wynters wrote: »
    Bates the cnut.

I think what they meant was

it is not the clubs usual policy to comment on speculation. However, in these circumstances we felt it appropriate as we now want a bidding war for him as we are def going to sell the young fella

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,951 ✭✭✭✭Villain

Can't see MON spedning big on him unless he really thinks he has what it takes to be a big star. Like Ashley Young, whoever made the comment about MON spending over the odds was obviously talking about Young, everyone said that was over the odds and well we know how that has panned out :D

Leeds United can confirm that we have received offers direct from two Premier League clubs for Fabian Delph.

The offers have been rejected...

Neither of those were Villa's, the two bids that were rejected.

The 6m bid from us was allegedly lodged subsequent.

Don't know if y'all already use it but this site is class:

http://www.newsnow.co.uk/h/Sport/Football/Premier+League/Aston+Villa

Up to the minute ticker of any article published online about the Villa. Bookmark it, seriously.

Hamburg nearly always get the highly rated youngsters. Wouldve love to see berg in the pl.

• Advertisement

Hamburg nearly always get the highly rated youngsters. Wouldve love to see berg in the pl.

My hunch is it's less of a culture shock for a young Swede to move to central Europe than it would be to move to England but who knows.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,951 ✭✭✭DSB

Martin, please remove that finger.

Neither of those were Villa's, the two bids that were rejected.

The 6m bid from us was allegedly lodged subsequent.

it seems your right our supposed 6m wasnt included in the two rejected bids and bates is just trying to get others to match our bid or better it. BBC are saying we are preparing that bid even though they state that 2 bids have been rejected

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport2/hi/football/teams/l/leeds_united/8143153.stm

I don't think clubs bid without at least some inkling of how things will go.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,951 ✭✭✭✭Villain

Villtalk ITK saying that Everton have bid for NRC and he has been given permission to talk, selling to Everton would be a serious mistake imo

defo

unless we know they might be a rival for someone else we're interested in and we want to tie up their funds

similar to the way it looks like we're not going to try to push bentley through til we sign downing, so that spurs wont be able to use the bently money to buy downing

defo

unless we know they might be a rival for someone else we're interested in and we want to tie up their funds

similar to the way it looks like we're not going to try to push bentley through til we sign downing, so that spurs wont be able to use the bently money to buy downing

I know you read that on VT!
    That's just a conspiracy theory.

anyone else starting to feel like we are about to see an absolutley epic couple of weeks?

yes im getting my hopes up for them to be shattered but really feel like were done making all our enquiries and we are about to start signing. even things like the NRC rumour almost fill my with an odd sense of hope, as it would be pure idiocy to sell a player like to the team that finished one place above us the past 2 years unless we had something planned be it Delph, Veloso or siging Everton target Defour whilst their money is tied up in NRC (only mentioning CMs cos its in relation to NRC).

yup i did

but it makes perfect sense

dont buy anyone from spurs until youve bought anyone they might be interested in

coz they aint gots no moneys

anyone else starting to feel like we are about to see an absolutley epic couple of weeks?

yes im getting my hopes up for them to be shattered but really feel like were done making all our enquiries and we are about to start signing. even things like the NRC rumour almost fill my with an odd sense of hope, as it would be pure idiocy to sell a player like to the team that finished one place above us unless we had something planned be it Delph, Veloso or siging Everton target Defour whilst their money is tied up in NRC (only mentioning CMs cos its in relation to NRC).

i think delph in to replace barry and nrc might be a little worrying lol

but i would be hopeful (if a little nervous) that if we're selling nrc we have someone very close to signing who can step right into the team and do his job...

...at right back

:p

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement