Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Aston Villa Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,879 Mod ✭✭✭✭Bounty Hunter

Helix wrote: »
    yup i did

but it makes perfect sense

dont buy anyone from spurs until youve bought anyone they might be interested in

coz they aint gots no moneys

well they did just get 8m for Zakora

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,661 ✭✭✭✭Helix

well they did just get 8m for Zakora

which means theyve got £8m

not really enough to buy anyone with tho

jesus thats actually nuts when you think about it innit

i think delph in to replace barry and nrc might be a little worrying lol

but i would be hopeful (if a little nervous) that if we're selling nrc we have someone very close to signing who can step right into the team and do his job...

...at right back

:p

i dont just mean in relation to NRC, weve learned that MON seems to do all his prep work then all his signings and i believe the prep work is done and signings are about to start be them Delph, Downing, Bentley, Tuncay, Distin or whoever. I mean how many of these players have we heard are essentially done deals already (through no official sources of course).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,792 ✭✭✭✭JPA

I wouldn't want to get my hopes up but I do have a feeling that a lot of things are lined up, and they could all be concluded soon. Whether they are signings that will please people I don't know.

A signing like Defour or Veloso would make people very excited because as no-one as ever really seen them play much, they can imagine that they're much better than they are!

I'm going to go out on a limb and predict some signings that will go through.
    The rest of ye can do the same.

Delph, Naughton and Bentley.

I ain't confident about any others. The Downing/Tuncay thing could be scuppered by money/wages or injuries.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,518 ✭✭✭matrim

yup i did

but it makes perfect sense

dont buy anyone from spurs until youve bought anyone they might be interested in

coz they aint gots no moneys

It does make sense but is it's hard to know if that's what's happening or are we just slow to get the deals done. If it is happening maybe Helix will call MON a tactical genius :eek:

If the NRC rumor is true, could it mean we are singing Delph to replace NRC and have someone else lined up to replace Barry

which means theyve got £8m

not really enough to buy anyone with tho

jesus thats actually nuts when you think about it innit

I think Harry asked for the summer money in January, Levy said "ya sure, but none in the summer ya hear"
    Harry, "Of course boss"

Now it's the summer and the realisation that he has no money to spend has kicked in.
    Nicko is saying that Sunderland have bid £12 million for Bent and spurs want 16. So they should end up paying 13 or 14. Spurs have a good habit of making a lot from selling players.

JPA wrote: »
    I'm going to go out on a limb and predict some signings that will go through.
    The rest of ye can do the same.

Delph, Naughton and Bentley.

I ain't confident about any others. The Downing/Tuncay thing could be scuppered by money/wages or injuries.

for me:

Delph, Tuncay, Distin

im not 100% on Downing/Bentley as i dont see both signing more one or the other tbh and im not sure why i even say Distin as the press havent linked him all that strongley but we will def get a CB and a lot of people seem convinced he is as good as signed on other message boards.

you are right though a Veloso or Defour would really stir things up and get people talking but who knows with those two.

• Registered Users Posts: 857 ✭✭✭wynters

Villain wrote: »
    Villtalk ITK saying that Everton have bid for NRC and he has been given permission to talk, selling to Everton would be a serious mistake imo

That VillaTalk ITK is full of teenage fantasists who play way too much Championship Manager.

I think most Villa fans would be seriously p/ssed off if NRC was sold, especially to one of our nearest rivals. I wouldn't get too hung up on the transfer chess either - trying to 2nd guess which manager will try to sign which player and then try c0ckblock the fckr... It's not Montgomerie and Rommel...

Every player has a price - The one's were after should be very affordable - Just fckng pay it.

wynters wrote: »
    I think most Villa fans would be seriously p/ssed off if NRC was sold

i would if we actually played him in his proper position

as it is hes fairly pointless to have in the squad

• Advertisement

Villain wrote: »
    Villtalk ITK saying that Everton have bid for NRC and he has been given permission to talk, selling to Everton would be a serious mistake imo

That VillaTalk ITK is full of teenage fantasists who play way too much Championship Manager.

I think most Villa fans would be seriously p/ssed off if NRC was sold, especially to one of our nearest rivals. The fans are already growing restless and I don't think MON would risk angering them any further.

I wouldn't get too hung up on the transfer chess either - trying to 2nd guess which manager will try to sign which player and then try c0ckblock the fckr... It's shouldn't have to be Montgomerie vs Rommel... Every player has a price - and the one's were supposed to be after should be very affordable - Just fckng pay it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 54,680 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

Dailymail are saying Delph is the subject of two bids - from Aston Villa and Everton

Southgate trying to get a quick sale of Downing
    Southgate warns clubs against Downing delay

By Damian Spellman
    The Independant

Friday, 10 July 2009

Middlesbrough manager Gareth Southgate has warned Stewart Downing's suitors that they may face stiff competition if they wait until January to try to sign him. Southgate confirmed yesterday that the 24-year-old England international – who has been linked with Aston Villa, Tottenham and Everton amongst others this summer – has been told he can step up his recovery after foot surgery. However, he will miss the start of the season and is unlikely to play until much later this year.

Downing has a gentlemen's agreement with Boro chairman Steve Gibson that he can leave his hometown club for the right price – thought to be in the region of £12m – after he rejected Spurs' latest bid in January. His injury, suffered in May, looked to have ended hopes of a big-money move, but Southgate yesterday said he did not know what the future holds for the star graduate of the club's academy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,391 ✭✭✭One Cold Hand

Benitez attacks Barry:

From F365
    SNUBBED BENITEZ LAUNCHES BARRY ATTACK
    Posted 10/07/09 07:06

Rafa Benitez has launched a devastating attack against Gareth Barry, accusing the midfielder of moving to Manchester City for financial gain and claiming that Liverpool were fortunate to miss out on him.

In an outspoken attack that is becoming habitual, Benitez railed against the financial excesses of the transfer market and specifically lambasted Barry, a long-time target of the Spaniard, for joining Manchester City rather than seek immediate Champions League football at Anfield. According to The Guardian, Barry will earn ฃ130,000 a week at City, approximately ฃ30,000 more than he would have earned at Liverpool. The snub has left Benitez fuming.

"In this market, money is not the main thing because everyone at this level earns big money. If it's just for money sometimes you make mistakes, like Barry.

"I won't say too much but that was clearly for the money, 100 per cent.

"If a player is motivated more by money than success, then maybe it is not a bad thing to miss out on him. I believe passion should be the main factor when you are signing a player.

"Maybe it's just me, but I have this idea that everyone in football at this level earns big wages and that money should not be the main thing. You have to enjoy your career, strive to improve and look to play at the highest level you can."

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,951 ✭✭✭✭Villain

I don't think you can say Rafa is wrong there in fairness

Martin O'Neill has reiterated his desire to add to the squad over the next couple of weeks.

MON is eager to strengthen his claret and blue troops - particularly in the light of the departures of former skippers Gareth Barry and Martin Laursen.

He told AVTV: "We are all looking forward to the season - but let's see if we can supplement and get us stronger first.

"We have lost a couple of players - Gareth has gone and Martin has had to quit so there are obvious and immediate replacements that we are looking to bring in.

"I am hoping we will be able to add to the squad over the next couple of weeks."

wouldnt it be nice, just this once, for mon to come out and say "we WILL be adding to the squad" and "we WILL be going into the new season even stronger"

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,246 ✭✭✭Esse85

He's such a pain in the hole to listen to, like he never gives the fans anything to get excited about.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,154 ✭✭✭✭Neil3030

It's that attitude that cost us the CL spot imho. I remember Fergie being interviewed before the Hull game last season (where Man U fielded pretty much their reserves) and he said something along the lines of "it doesn't matter who the players are, if they are out there representing Manchester United they are expected to win." This is the attitude that's condusive to creating a team of winners. Hairdryer or not, he makes damn sure his players believe they can win matches.

Now compare that to MON, and his bullsh*t pragmatic committlesss language he uses every time he is interviewed. "Oh we'd sure love to be able to do X" or "we'll give it a right go and see if we can strengthen." Not good enough. If he shows that level of testicular magnitude when he converses with players before, during or between games, no wonder the team folded like a gang of spudless puppies.

Latest speculation on the Delph move seems to be that we are offering them The Fonz on a year long loan + money.

While the loan would be good for him unless we get someone else in I wouldn't like to see him go and us only have 3 forwards

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,219 ✭✭✭invincibleirish

Thumbs up to Delph to going on loan, all he needs now is the game time to show and develop his talents.

Only problem with that Fonz development is that the source appears to be Bill Howell. Approach with extreme caution.

• Advertisement

And he most likely got that info from VillaTalk.

Everton given permission to speak with Naughton, on SSN.

I think the Fonz can do better then Leeds anyway. A first division club would surely be more appropriate.

As for NRC being linked to Everton, i'd be the first to point out his many, many flaws but he has an engine and i think it would be a mistake to sell to Everton without first at least having CM signings in place. Even then i think NRC could be useful and who knows? he might step up a level ala Petrov after 2 seasons of being in and out of the team.

Yet another target slips away unchallenged. I tell ya unless he get's the finger out soon I'm going to have suspicions MON is lookin to enter Villa in an Astro league next year.

And he most likely got that info from VillaTalk.

Everton given permission to speak with Naughton, on SSN.

Naughton is an interesting one as he was being quoted at 6m and I wouldent imagine us spending 6m if hes going to be on the bench behind Luke but if its less i would like us to equal it and make him an offer although of course that does leave us open to rejection.

Wouldent be surprised at all if Howell got info from VT afterall i just read something of his that refers to the NRC to Everton rumour however i would like to see The Fonz go out on loan and get some exp especially if we sign someone like Tuncay so even if Harewood leaves too wed have 4 players who can play up front although hopefully wed only be playing 1 of em.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,249 ✭✭✭✭Kinetic^

Neil3030 wrote: »
    have suspicions MON is lookin to enter Villa in an Astro league next year.

Awesome, we should sign up and kick lumps out of Knight. :D

I think the Fonz can do better then Leeds anyway. A first division club would surely be more appropriate.

I wouldn't like The Fonz at Leeds, he'd get kicked around the place.
    But I could probably live with it.

Whats the bet Naughton will end up to be as successful as Lescott, Jagielka and Cahill?

Esse85 wrote: »
    Whats the bet Naughton will end up to be as successful as Lescott, Jagielka and Cahill?

I'd remove Cahill from that list tbf, I'm yet to be convinced he's the pearl everyone claims him to be when they need a cheap pop at MON.

EDIT: Apologies, you meant Tim, not Gary?

Lets not forget Jagielka & Lescott running on Treacle as Ash waltzed by them at Goodison. I'd take Young, our own diamond in the rough from the lower leagues, above all 3 of Evertons gems.

Lets not forget Jagielka & Lescott running on Treacle as Ash waltzed by them at Goodison. I'd take Young, our own diamond in the rough from the lower leagues, above all 3 of Evertons gems.

Well that's just not true, technically.

• Advertisement

I'd remove Cahill from that list tbf, I'm yet to be convinced he's the pearl everyone claims him to be when they need a cheap pop at MON.

Indeed Tim the Aussie Cahill

I'd be disappointed if we missed out on Naughton especially if the bid is actually 4m as is being reported.

Also apparently Downing is out until Christmas now so that's probably a no go

Well that's just not true, technically.

Quit being the pedant JPA!. Ash, Jags & Lescott if it hadn't been for the nasty gangsters all played in the PL, but you know what i mean.

Quit being the pedant JPA!. Ash, Jags & Lescott if it hadn't been for the nasty gangsters all played in the PL, but you know what i mean.

I'm lost here...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 869 ✭✭✭The Hustler

So is this Fonz fella any use? What type of player is he? Pace?

So is this Fonz fella any use? What type of player is he? Pace?

quick but not overly so

fantastic finisher, real predators instinct. big and strong too, deceptively so, and hes still got plenty of filling out left to do. can hit the ball with either foot, and has a decent footballing brain

has looked a bit out of his depth when mon has played him on the wing or in a deeper position though, this is definitely one player i dont think we should go that route with. hes an out and out striker

Apparently Stuttgart are in advanced negotiations with Madrid for Huntelaar, and Rangers are after David Trezeguet? Why aren't we after these players...??????

• Closed Accounts Posts: 869 ✭✭✭The Hustler

quick but not overly so

fantastic finisher, real predators instinct. big and strong too, deceptively so, and hes still got plenty of filling out left to do. can hit the ball with either foot, and has a decent footballing brain

has looked a bit out of his depth when mon has played him on the wing or in a deeper position though, this is definitely one player i dont think we should go that route with. hes an out and out striker

Sounds good, cheers for the reply :D

• Registered Users Posts: 101 ✭✭Superhands

I'm lost here...

Lescott allegedly got a beating from gangsters years ago (something to do with a girl) - its often mentioned as a reason for his knee problems

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 101 ✭✭Superhands

compared to the three CBs he brought in ( Knight (Fulham fans couldn't believe it), Davies and Cuellar) Cahill looks like Franco Baresi

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,492 ✭✭✭MementoMori

quick but not overly so

I would agree with most of this but would take issue with the big/strong bit.

From what little I have seen of him he looked to have all the attributes to be a top striker but was too physically weak for the PL as yet. Not really a surprise for a player who's just 18.

Remember some game where he came on a sub and it was way too easy for the defenders to out-muscle him of the ball. To me he looked like once he bulked up a bit he would be a serious talent. As it was he was using his other skills to compensate for his lack of upper body strength. Once that develops I could see him being a "top top player" though.

I would agree with most of this but would take issue with the big/strong bit.

From what little I have seen of him he looked to have all the attributes to be a top striker but was too physically weak for the PL as yet. Not really a surprise for a player who's just 18.

Remember some game where he came on a sub and it was way too easy for the defenders to out-muscle him of the ball. To me he looked like once he bulked up a bit he would be a serious talent. As it was he was using his other skills to compensate for his lack of upper body strength. Once that develops I could see him being a "top top player" though.

Thank you for your input, Jamie.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,492 ✭✭✭MementoMori

Thank you for your input, Jamie.

Sadly all I could hear was his voice in my head when typing it. :o

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,347 ✭✭✭legs11

:rolleyes:

:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

LOL

Fairly comprehensive article by local newspaper on the Kyle Naughton situation http://www.yorkshirepost.co.uk/sport/Everton39s-5m-swoop-for-young.5450630.jp

Would love to see this guy join us, but looking at the comparitive competition for full back positions at Everton and Villa, he'd probably have a better chance of first team football at Everton. That 2nd right-back position in the England World Cup squad (after Glen Johnson) is still up for grabs, so we shouldn't be suprised if he opts for Everton. Still think we could have had him by now had we been quicker on the draw a much more assertive in our approach... still not over yet though.

Villa seriously need to look at transfer strategy. All this cloak and dagger sh/t behind the scences is doing us no favours at all. Football is an industry, and like any other industry, a business' profile/image is important and needs to be maintained and protected. In comparison to other PL clubs around us - we look a bit stale at the moment. There's a way of skillfully leaking stuff to media about potential transfers, that can help at least make it look like we're ambitious! Every other PL club does it and we're being left behind by not playing the game... A policy of not talking about transfers is an Ellis tactic that's obsolete.

• Advertisement

Good post wynters.

I'd add to that the image the club sends to players. If a player sees a club as thrifty, tight, secretive and apparently unwilling to take risks to bolster the squad, I'm sure it hardly fills potential players full of hope that they are really going to make any ground and prove to be a smart choice for them to move to.

I also simply don't buy the argument that MON is deliberately holding off on sealing a few supposed done deals so as to not capitalise competitors in the market for certain players. The Bentley deal, for example, is supposedlt on hold so as not to give Spurs any cash to be in for the likes of Naughton (or Big John!).

But I really hope that's b****x because how petty and amateurish does that make us look, that we can't compete for players on the merits of our own club, but only when all other suitors don't have any funding?

That said, I just don't understand MON over and above how much he infuriates me.

Superhands wrote: »
    compared to the three CBs he brought in ( Knight (Fulham fans couldn't believe it), Davies and Cuellar) Cahill looks like Franco Baresi

In comparison to Knight maybe, but find me a better centre half who's happy to remain a fourth choice backup.

Exactly.

The last few months of last season aside... I think - on the whole - O'Neill has done an excellent job from September 1st to January 1st, and from February 1st to seasons-end. But he's gettin right on my t/ts during transfer windows! This is the sixth full transfer window he and Lerner will have been in charge for, and although there's still a long way to go in the current window, even O'Neill fans can't help feeling that the current strategy could easily be improved upon.

How long are players like Bentley and Naughton gonna wait around for us to make moves that should have been decided on long before the window even opened!? Are the club doing enough to make players feel wanted at Villa??? Look at Kevin Doyle for example - 'Joined Wolves without hesitation, largely because the manner of their approach. I just worry about how many players we're gonna end-up missing out on this summer if this continues. Of the players we were heavily linked with - Doyle, Vermalen, Owen and now possibly Naughton aswell are off the menu...

If we're not careful we'll be left with 3rd or 4th choice options for those positions we desperately need to fill.

Neil, surely MON knows that Villa arent the only club that may buy a player from Spurs as Sevilla have demonstrated in buying Zakora for £8.65m.

Whats MON's plan gonna be if D.Bent joins Sunderland for £12m???

MON really is sickening, he comes out with the same spiel every transfer window about hopefully improving the squad. It seems we'll only ever try sign a player if nobody else is interested in him. We never seem to compete against other clubs for players.

I was reading Brian Clough's autobiography lately and there's vast similiarities between him and MON. Both are as pig headed, blinkered and big disicplinarians.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,951 ✭✭✭DSB

Seriously, MON get the finger out.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement