Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Aston Villa Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,951 ✭✭✭✭Villain

Helix wrote: »
    definitely, and who could argue with that

its not like he plays players in the wrong position, is tactically inept, refuses to drop his favourites, and wastes money in the transfer market

but sure even if he was, we'd still say he was brilliant until he left, then wed start saying he was a bit cat coz hes not our manager any more, and the new guy is instead the best manager in the world ever

You never appreciate what you have until its gone.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,661 ✭✭✭✭Helix

Villain wrote: »
    You never appreciate what you have until its gone.

yeah, i can see us all looking back teary eyed yearning for the days we played everyone in the squad at right back. or that time we threw away champions league football when we bought emile heskey. or all that awful football we played

happy times

yeah, i can see us all looking back teary eyed yearning for the days we played everyone in the squad at right back. or that time we threw away champions league football when we bought emile heskey. or all that awful football we played

happy times
    Ah sher bring back Taylor and Ellis

why would we do that?

Because Randy and MON made such a mess of last season and they haven't signed anyone yet.

• Advertisement

Because Randy and MON made such a mess of last season and they haven't signed anyone yet.

i dont recall saying randy made a mess of anything

doesnt answer the point of why wed bring back taylor and ellis tho?

or could it be that youre responding to well founded critisism with childish nonsense?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,535 ✭✭✭Raekwon

Careful now..............Taylor and Ellis nearly won the league with Villa in the 1989-90 season ;)

i dont recall saying randy made a mess of anything

Well I mean surely Randy can see what you can see and should have sorted him out or replaced him??

doesnt answer the point of why wed bring back taylor and ellis tho?

or could it be that youre responding to well founded critisism with childish nonsense?
    Or responding to sarcasm with sarcasm

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,951 ✭✭✭DSB

I really don't what referencing Taylor and Ellis achieves anyway, theres no examples of Lerner and anyone else yet so its impossible to say how much better or worse anyone else would do, but if MON keeps up with this **** (and I'd still give him a while to sort himself out yet) the attitude of 'what if someone else does worse' is not one that will ever achieve anything.

Or responding to sarcasm with sarcasm

no you were trying to make a point that we should be happy with all the flaws because its better than ellis and taylor

aids is better than ellis and taylor, that doesnt mean i want it

• Advertisement

no you were trying to make a point that we should be happy with all the flaws because its better than ellis and taylor

aids is better than ellis and taylor, that doesnt mean i want it

Ok so if MON is made so many f*ck ups etc why is Randy leaving him in place, surely Randy should have called MON in and gave him his P45 if your opinion is on him is correct? Randy is the boss the book stops with him

Ok so if MON is made so many f*ck ups etc why is Randy leaving him in place, surely Randy should have called MON in and gave him his P45 if your opinion is on him is correct? Randy is the boss the book stops with him

thats precisely what i think will happen at the end of next season if mon hasnt shown he can snap out of the bull that stops him doing his job properly

as it stands, right now, im convinced we'll have a new manager in 12 months time

tbh i suspect the reason rl wont finance as much as he did last year is coz he doesnt want to piss away any more money on mons mediocre signings without proof that hes capable of upping his game in the market

1 We have NO idea what the Budget is

2 We have NO idea who MON is trying to sign

3 We have NO idea whether or not MON has tried to sign the big name players we want and they have turned us down.

4 We have NO idea if a manager better than MON would be interested in managing Villa

1 We have NO idea what the Budget is

2 We have NO idea who MON is trying to sign

3 We have NO idea whether or not MON has tried to sign the big name players we want and they have turned us down.

4 We have NO idea if a manager better than MON would be interested in managing Villa

so we'll just stick with things as they are til mon retires then?

deadly, i might get a game at right back

so we'll just stick with things as they are til mon retires then?

deadly, i might get a game at right back

Or you win the Euro Millions and you can but the club and sign a better manager and give him endless money to buy top class players :pac:

I don't know what I would do if I was as negative as you, I'd go fecking mad

I don't know what I would do if I was as negative as you, I'd go fecking mad

im not negative, i just dont live away with the fairies like some who think mon is a great manager

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 54,680 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

im not negative, i just dont live away with the fairies like some who think mon is a great manager

Helix you got to
    believe-3-1.jpg

and have some positive energy dude

repeat after me

it will come good and sell young to utd

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,858 ✭✭✭glanman

Who do ye reckon we will bring in? Knight is fairly strongly rumoured to be leaving this week so that leaves us 2 down. I reckon Dunne would be a serious chance with City willing to sell as they are buying a few by all accounts. I backed Dunne @'25/1 on skybet so heres hoping:)

I know he was cat for City last year but at the same time he was a rock for Ireland.

It also looks like Downing is a done deal too, not too sure about this one... I reckon Tuncay may come too. There were a good few rumours about Ash leaving but I dont think this will happen but it does worry me that he wants to sign Downing seeing as we have Milner and Ash. Hopefully he is thinking of moving Milner to a more central role and that is the motivation to sign Downing and not a replacement for Ash.

glanman wrote: »
    Knight is fairly strongly rumoured to be leaving this week so that leaves us 2 down

4 down

2 centre halves down

Also, WTF with Ash being linked with Spurs... Its not even funny for them to think he would sign for them. My hatred for them grows every year, they are pathetic

• Advertisement

therye pathetic because theyre being linked with young?

tbh its a little odd that there has been NOTHING out of villa park about this, last summer with the barry thing the club were quite clear about the situation. this time around theres been very little

id be amazed if he ended up at spurs, but im starting to think id be unsurprised if hes at a different club come september. and i dont think itd be the worst thing in the world IF (massive if) we bought well with the money

I'm between minds about letting him go because he was so good for half of last year but then in the second half I thought a lot of teams got to grips with him and were able to limit him. He didn't like people getting physical on him (within the rules) and I think he needs to toughen up.

He obviously is one of our best players but if we got £30million plus for him it could be good business but I would definitely rather keep him

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,420 ✭✭✭Doodee

I think MON would be very reluctant to let him go. He appears to be building a team around him and Abby.

Doodee wrote: »
    I think MON would be very reluctant to let him go. He appears to be building a team around him and Abby.

tbh i think mon knows that gabby isnt up to it

he might well have thought he was 12 months ago, but if anything the last 6 months of the season showed hes nowhere near good enough

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,249 ✭✭✭✭Kinetic^

I don't count Knight as a player.

If we got 30m for Ash that was going to be pumped straight back in then I'd take it tbh.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,246 ✭✭✭Esse85

MON with €30m, I dread to think of the sort of sh1te he'd bring in.

Id keep hold of Ash, because we wont replace him with somebody as good.

But what are we left at centre half now? Cullear and Davies and then you are down to either putting Luke Young or Bouma in there or Ciaran Clark. We are very thin on CHs and its not very comforting when you have Davies coming out and saying he is not the man to fill Laursens boots. Fair enough hes not the same type of player (is there any??) but what a lack of confindence!

davies suffers hugely with confidence issues, its a massive problem for us i think. hes got potential to be great, but i think mentally hes not right at all

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,154 ✭✭✭✭Neil3030

If Fergie's statement is true about Man U not spending any more money this season (on SSN now) that rules them out of the running for Ash anyway.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 857 ✭✭✭wynters

davies suffers hugely with confidence issues, its a massive problem for us i think. hes got potential to be great, but i think mentally hes not right at all

I remember thinking the same thing around the time he said his own performance in one game "was like a pub player", which was as refreshing to hear as it was worrying... being hard on yourself is a good thing sometimes. He seemed to come through all that OK though, and has done alright since. I wouldn't lay much of the blame for our defence towards the end of the season at his door...

Davies was captain at West Brom at a young age aswell and I think to be considered captain material you have to have some degree of mental strength... My uncles are all brummie West Brom fans, and they're convinced he'll make the England WC squad. Here's hoping he comes good this year...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,452 ✭✭✭Time Magazine

August 15th, vs Wigan:

Friedel
    Young----Davies----Cuellar----Shorey
    Milner----Petrov---Reo-Coker---Young
    Agbonlahor---Carew

Subs: Guzan, Knight, Clark, Sidwell, Gardner, Heskey, Delfouneso.

Would anyone be that surprised?

yeah id be amazed if he started nrc in his proper position

just got my wigan ticket there in the upper north

been ages since i sat anywhere other than the lower north... think odense last season was the last time

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,518 ✭✭✭matrim

August 15th, vs Wigan:

Friedel
    Young----Davies----Cuellar----Shorey
    Milner----Petrov---Reo-Coker---Young
    Agbonlahor---Carew

Subs: Guzan, Knight, Clark, Sidwell, Gardner, Heskey, Delfouneso.

Would anyone be that surprised?

TBH yes, I'd be very surprised. I've no doubt that we will sign players. The concern I have is that the players we sign won't be good enough to improve the team (to the level we need).

We've been linked to some very good players, and also some very questionable players. We'll have to wait and see what we get (and I hope it won't be too long).

And in fairness that team isn't too bad for a base to build on. Yes there are areas that definitely need strengthening but I wouldn't have too many problems fielding that team for some games during the season but not as a first 11

yeah id be amazed if he started nrc in his proper position

You're an absolute c*n*. :D

• Advertisement

:D:D:D

just got my wigan ticket there in the upper north

been ages since i sat anywhere other than the lower north... think odense last season was the last time
    I've always wondered how do you get to Lower North? Is there just the one gate?

Has anyone ever been in the Trinity Road stand? I'm bringing a few non-Villa fan (i.e. women) friends for a day trip in Brum for the Fiorentina game so I'm wondering where to go. Can't really bring them to the Holte and I'm always in Upper North so want a change. Which would be better, Trinity Road or Witton Lane?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,246 ✭✭✭Esse85

Encouraging news if only MON would get his fcuking act together
    http://www.football365.com/story/0,17033,8652_5431126,00.html

I've always wondered how do you get to Lower North? Is there just the one gate?

Has anyone ever been in the Trinity Road stand? I'm bringing a few non-Villa fan (i.e. women) friends for a day trip in Brum for the Fiorentina game so I'm wondering where to go. Can't really bring them to the Holte and I'm always in Upper North so want a change. Which would be better, Trinity Road or Witton Lane?

lower north entrance is to the right hand side as youre facing the witton. just past the away fans entrance right up against the entrance into the club carpark. funny you should mention that though, coz i have no idea where the entrance for the upper north is?

id say the witton tbh, only coz youll get a better seat there. dont expect anything even resembling armosphere tho, both the trinity and witton are absolutely dead. if you grab seats in the first block on the half way line in the upper youll have one hell of a view all the same

Encouraging news if only MON would get his fcuking act together
    http://www.football365.com/story/0,1...431126,00.html

I'd wager MON won't make an offer unless the deal falls through with Everton and Spurs.

• Advertisement

Nice to see the Naughton thing ain't a done deal just yet.

I'd love to see Villa flex some financial muscle on this one and just outbid Spurs and Everton... even as a statement of intent. This won't be the last player we'll be competing with Spurs and Everton for this summer, so if we rollover now by not matching their bids and just pull out of the race to sign Naughton, Spurs & Everton will be calling our bluff all summer with other players... If we outbid them now they might think twice about competing with us for anyone else... and if we're the highest bidder Sheffield will ONLY let him speak to us.

If he's already been identified as a player that would fit into the side and system - particularly at right back which has been a problem position for us for a few years now - then just pay what it takes to get him.

funny you should mention that though, coz i have no idea where the entrance for the upper north is?
    It's there at the base of North stand.

3190260893_c9f2ede100.jpg?v=0

The turnstiles are just behind the big screen.
    id say the witton tbh, only coz youll get a better seat there. dont expect anything even resembling armosphere tho, both the trinity and witton are absolutely dead. if you grab seats in the first block on the half way line in the upper youll have one hell of a view all the same
    I was in Witton before. Was between half-way line and edge of Holte-end 18-yard line. So somewhere near the D. View was fairly crap because you're miles away from e.g. the corner flag at North-Trinity corner. I far preferred the bit of the height Upper North gives.

Edit: actually here's a photo I took. Depending where you're put, you can be fairly miles away from the pitch at the top of the North Upper as well :(

n37301196_30794588_1363.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,219 ✭✭✭invincibleirish

Upper North was where i was sat last season, good laugh and noisy the further back you get, banter with the away fans if you're sat on the left side with kids and families down front. Most importantly tis nice and cheap.

Have you ever seen that gang of Japanese students who sit together in the Upper North stand? There's about 40 of them. All dressed in claret in blue... they get well into it. Nice to see.

Reports in Portugal suggest Aston Villa are weighing up the merits of a move for Miguel Veloso.

Martin O'Neill's men are said to have sent scouts to watch the midfielder in action during Sporting Lisbon's recent friendly against Nottingham Forest.

The Portugal international has been strongly linked with Villa's Premier League rivals Bolton this summer, with the Trotters expected to make an imminent approach.

However, O'Neill has now reportedly joined the hunt for the talented 23-year-old as he looks to fill the void created by Gareth Barry's departure to Manchester City.

Sporting have previously stated that they are willing to take offers for Veloso, accepting that a sale appears to be a formality.

The Portuguese giants insist no bids have been received as yet, but it is understood that an offer of around €15million euros (£13m) would be enough to secure a deal.

£13m is abit steep for a defensive midfielder when we have the likes of Reo-Coker & Petrov who could both do that job. But at this stage I would take anyone half decent as our first summer signing to hopefully get the ball rolling.

Reports in Portugal suggest Aston Villa are weighing up the merits of a move for Miguel Veloso.

As makey up journalism goes, that headline is probably the worst I've ever seen.

Neil3030 wrote: »
    As makey up journalism goes, that headline is probably the worst I've ever seen.

lol :D It does look like utter b****x in fairness

I have a really funny feeling we'll make a signing today...

Just a feeling or do you have name??

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,792 ✭✭✭✭JPA

Neil3030 wrote: »
    I have a really funny feeling we'll make a signing today...

That funny feeling is diarrhoea.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement