Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Aston Villa Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,154 ✭✭✭✭Neil3030

glanman wrote: »
    Just a feeling or do you have name??

Just a feeling. Don't hold me to it or anything!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,951 ✭✭✭✭Villain

Andy King?

Yes, Andy King. You heard it here first.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,335 ✭✭✭death1234567

wynters wrote: »
    and if we're the highest bidder Sheffield will ONLY let him speak to us.
    They've already accepted a bid from Everton and allowed naughton to speak to them so they can't suddenly reject it if we bid more. All we can do is match the bid from Everton which I'm sure is what spurs have done and then let the player decide.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,792 ✭✭✭✭JPA

They've already accepted a bid from Everton and allowed naughton to speak to them so they can't suddenly reject it if we bid more. All we can do is match the bid from Everton which I'm sure is what spurs have done and then let the player decide.

Thats the exact thing SU have done, refused Everton permission and unaccepted their offer.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,858 ✭✭✭glanman

Neil3030 wrote: »
    Yes, Andy King. You heard it here first.

I'll admit I know nothing of Andy King, anybody know? I reckon could be shrewd business. MON surely has some of his Leicster links left

Oh god I just had a terrifying thought... Craig Bellamy.... shudder....

Comfortably surplus to requirements at City so let's all collectively pray he's happy to pick up his fat paycheck and play for the reserves...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,246 ✭✭✭Esse85

Hughes will play him from the bench, I also think he'd be more than happy with his wages than to consider a move.

I feel we will get a signing like this, e.g a player nobody has taught of before, sort of a surprise signing.

Esse85 wrote: »
    I feel we will get a signing like this, e.g a player nobody has taught of before wants, sort of a surprise signing.

FYP ;)

• Advertisement

Neil3030 wrote: »
    FYP ;)
    Correct!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,518 ✭✭✭matrim

It looks like Petrov is being tipped for the captaincy next season. Not much of a surprise really.

Maybe Luke Young or Friedal as Vice-Captain?

matrim wrote: »
    It looks like Petrov is being tipped for the captaincy next season. Not much of a surprise really.

Maybe Luke Young or Friedal as Vice-Captain?
    Well Petrov was playing the Captain role in any game I saw last year, he was constantly shouting support and trying to get the team going so I'd support that 100% as for Vice maybe I'd agree with L Young or Friedel

• Registered Users Posts: 857 ✭✭✭wynters

They can. And have. According to Everton, once Spurs made a higher offer, Sheffield United 'unaccepted' the Everton bid, and withdrew permission for Naughton to speak to them. Naughton was due to travel to Everton for talks and a possibly a medical on Monday morning. Sheffield Utd pulled the plug on that after the higher other bid(s) were received.

I dunno what the rules are regarding accepting a bid... how binding that is... but I can understand why Everton are so p/ssed off.

• Registered Users Posts: 857 ✭✭✭wynters

Big Bad John should be a contender for captaincy or least vice surely...???

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,951 ✭✭✭DSB

I've had enough of MON at this stage, every summer the same, you wait, and you wait, and try to stay positive but hes never going to come good with enough good signings. Ever.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 17,661 ✭✭✭✭Helix

They can. And have. According to Everton, once Spurs made a higher offer, Sheffield United 'unaccepted' the Everton bid, and withdrew permission for Naughton to speak to them. Naughton was due to travel to Everton for talks and a possibly a medical on Monday morning. Sheffield Utd pulled the plug on that after the higher other bid(s) were received.

I dunno what the rules are regarding accepting a bid... how binding that is... but I can understand why Everton are so p/ssed off.

there are no rules, anyone selling anything can decide to pull out at any time

newcastle did it with milner to use a footballer as an example

sheff utd are perfectly within their rights, despite it being a crappy thing to do

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,452 ✭✭✭Time Magazine

Big Bad John should be a contender for captaincy or least vice surely...???

More likely to be shown the door if the rumours are true.

Which I really hope aren't.

its ok lads, panic over!
    Ok - I tried to remove this ITK link at the request of the person who passed it on but it seems people spotted it and its now being discussed elsewhere so I'm going to have to bite the bullet and post it.

I had a PM from one of the most ITK posters on the site (he doesn't post here often though and its not Mystryman) telling me that;
    O'Neill is close to landing a young striker, talks are at an advanced stage with the player after a deal was struck on Monday with his club. The player is Ched Evans from Man City who Hughes and O'Neill discussed when we were after Sturridge and now O'Neill has gone back for his back up option as he was quoted £11m for Bent and £12.5m for Vagner Love and didn't want to pay it. According to my contact he should sign later this week for £6m..

theyll be dancing in the streets of villa if this one goes through. we can allay our fears that mon wasnt after the big name, top calibre players

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,335 ✭✭✭death1234567

Ched Evans. Stop the presses, Champions league Here we come. If we do sign him it'll be fun to watch Villatalk explode.

I dont think JC has leadership qualities TBH, he probably wont play enough games due to injury either to be considered. Petrov as captain and L.Young as vice will do fine.

Dunno why Spuds are after another RB, dont they already have Hutton, Chimbonda and Corluka at a total cost of about £18m??

The top 4 will finish ahead of us next year, then there's Man City who'll probably finish 5th. Spurs and Everton will challenge for Uefa Cup, Sunderland will be hoping for top 8. Even with the addition of a few players I think we'll be looking at a top 8 finish.

Last summer if we were asked who the top 4 players at the club were, the majority would say, Young, Carew, Barry and Laursen. Now the first 2 are being heavily linked with moves away from the club, the last 2 have left, replacements have not been brought in, where does that leave us??

Friedal wasnt convincing last year, I cant see him improving this year as his age is against him, it really is hard to be optimistic about thr coming season. Pre season training has already started and nobody has been brought in, ideally it would make sense to get everyone in before the first league game, but as has happened before, we'll be playing players out of their natural positions and still trying to sign players right up until the last minute, by this stage its almost too late as there's already 3/4 league games played.

The scouts at the club have the easiest job in the world, have they ever spotted a gifted player?? From reading different internet forums it really does seem that fans are split 50/50 on MON

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,315 ✭✭✭Tomthepost

Helix wrote: »
    its ok lads, panic over!

theyll be dancing in the streets of villa if this one goes through. we can allay our fears that mon wasnt after the big name, top calibre players

I think 12.5m for Wagner Love would be a good bit of business if there is any truth in interest.
    That King guys seems a good prospect and at 2.5m I would be happy. 20 years old, 40 appearances last season and 9 goals. Ok its league 1 but a prospect.
    Evans rumour a load of crap im sure.
    Helix, please chill out. It is mid-july plenty of time and Villa have a great manager in O'Neill. He knows he got to make signings this summer and will.

Tomthepost wrote: »
    Villa have a great manager in O'Neill

sorry, you lost me here

Helix, please chill out. It is mid-july plenty of time and Villa have a great manager in O'Neill. He knows he got to make signings this summer and will.

businessman-banging-his-head-against-the-wall-ispc026073.jpg

sorry, you lost me here

Who should we have then? Anyone that can win 2 league cups with lowly leceister is a great manager.

It is mid-july plenty of time

actually just to address this

players all back in preseason training. first preseason match at the weekend, 4 weeks til the season kicks off.

theres not really plenty of time is there, but dont let that get in the way of mon worship

plenty of time left, the season is only finished
    plenty of time left, the window hasnt even opened yet
    plenty of time left, its only july 1st
    plenty of time left, we're not back in training yet

plenty of time left, we havent played our first friendly yet
    plenty of time left, still 2 weeks til the season starts
    plenty of time left, we havent played our first game yet
    plenty of time left, the window doesnt close til 2nd september

Who should we have then? Anyone that can win 2 league cups with lowly leceister is a great manager.

straight swap with city

hughes in, a shrewd and intelligent manager in the transfer market. proven with limited funds. solid tactician, though perhaps a little overwhelmed with infinite buckets of cash

mon out to city, if anyone can blow unlimited funds its uncle marty. out with tevez, robinho, kompany, in with titus bramble, jermaine beckford and jack hobbs. itd remove city from the picture within a year

actually just to address this

players all back in preseason training. first preseason match at the weekend, 4 weeks til the season kicks off.

theres not really plenty of time is there, but dont let that get in the way of mon worship

plenty of time left, the season is only finished
    plenty of time left, the window hasnt even opened yet
    plenty of time left, its only july 1st
    plenty of time left, we're not back in training yet

plenty of time left, we havent played our first friendly yet
    plenty of time left, still 2 weeks til the season starts
    plenty of time left, we havent played our first game yet
    plenty of time left, the window doesnt close til 2nd september

Again I ask who can we realistically get that is a better manager then MON?
    Don't mistake me for a Celtic fan! The reality is we can't compete with the top 4 or man city and to get the most out of limted resources we have the right man.

straight swap with city

hughes in, a shrewd and intelligent manager in the transfer market. proven with limited funds. solid tactician, though perhaps a little overwhelmed with infinite buckets of cash

mon out to city, if anyone can blow unlimited funds its uncle marty. out with tevez, robinho, kompany, in with titus bramble, jermaine beckford and jack hobbs. itd remove city from the picture within a year
    Dont forget Zidine Kilbane!!

Jesus Helix how do you get up in the morning I mean seriously, do you ever have anything Positive to say. Helix you're like a woman on the rag every day of the month :D

straight swap with city

Hughes has and will win f-uck all! Should have been sacked given where city finished this season.

• Advertisement

straight swap with city

ROFL yea because Hughes is going to give up being able to sign almost anyone to managing Villa lol

Again I ask who can we realistically get that is a better manager then MON?
    Don't mistake me for a Celtic fan! The reality is we can't compete with the top 4 or man city and to get the most out of limted resources we have the right man.
    We dont have limited resources, Randy Lerner was highly supportive of MON in every transfer window, its MON who decides to sign sh1t players if indeed he even bothers to sign anyone, its MON who consistantly decides to have the smallest squad in the league then moans about this.

We dont have limited resources, Randy Lerner was highly supportive of MON in every transfer window, its MON who decides to sign sh1t players if indeed he even bothers to sign anyone, its MON who consistantly decides to have the smallest squad in the league then moans about this.

compared to top 4 and city we have limited resources. What are the sh1t signings? Please name those that we paid a transfer fee for and have had time to adjust to playing at the club.

Villain wrote: »
    ROFL yea because Hughes is going to give up being able to sign almost anyone to managing Villa lol

tbh i dont think itll be his decision to leave when it happens

Hughes has and will win f-uck all! Should have been sacked given where city finished this season.

id take him over mon in a flash. 3 years ago mon was a better shout, and if we were in the same position tomorrow id take mon again, but hes got a shelf life and he'll only take us so far (which is precisely where we are now)

you wont win anything signing players from relegated teams, championship teams and scotland

sure steve mcclaren won a league cup and got to a uefa cup final, he must be a great manager too in your book?

Jesus Helix how do you get up in the morning I mean seriously, do you ever have anything Positive to say. Helix you're like a woman on the rag every day of the month :D

i have plenty positive to say. if something deserves praise ill give it praise, if it deserves negativity ill give it negativity. that way praise actually has value

we could all walk around talking about how brilliant everything is every day. country in a mess? ah sure look we could be some war torn african country, we have it brilliantly compared to them. economy in sh`ite? ah sure it was worse in the 80s, think of how much better we have it now, everythings deadly isnt it. politicians corrupt? at least we're not iran, sure their lads over there would have you killed for voting wrong

just because something is better than something thats shockingly bad doesnt make it great

id rather have pneumonia than cancer, but i sure as hell wouldnt be singing and dancing if i did

id take him over mon in a flash. 3 years ago mon was a better shout, and if we were in the same position tomorrow id take mon again, but hes got a shelf life and he'll only take us so far (which is precisely where we are now)

you wont win anything signing players from relegated teams, championship teams and scotland

sure steve mcclaren won a league cup and got to a uefa cup final, he must be a great manager too in your book?

McClaren won one trophy and had money to spend. He did get the England job and despite this working out badly alot of players and ex-player that have worked with him think he is great. Roy Keane for example.

compared to top 4 and city we have limited resources. What are the sh1t signings? Please name those that we paid a transfer fee for and have had time to adjust to playing at the club.
    Many managers would envy the position that MON is in, so far as the control he has over players in+out, the running of the club etc... He's left to get on with things and do it his own way.

As for the sh1t signings, seriously do a search, their obvious to anyone with half a brain cell.

McClaren won one trophy and had money to spend. He did ger the England job and despite this working out badly alot of players and ex-player that have worked with him think he is great. Roy Keane for example.
    Great as a no.2
    Not as a manager

• Advertisement

McClaren won one trophy and had money to spend. He did get the England job and despite this working out badly alot of players and ex-player that have worked with him think he is great. Roy Keane for example.

roy keane rated him as an assistant manager

i have plenty positive to say. if something deserves praise ill give it praise, if it deserves negativity ill give it negativity. that way praise actually has value

we could all walk around talking about how brilliant everything is every day. country in a mess? ah sure look we could be some war torn african country, we have it brilliantly compared to them. economy in sh`ite? ah sure it was worse in the 80s, think of how much better we have it now, everythings deadly isnt it. politicians corrupt? at least we're not iran, sure their lads over there would have you killed for voting wrong

just because something is better than something thats shockingly bad doesnt make it great

id rather have pneumonia than cancer, but i sure as hell wouldnt be singing and dancing if i did

But Villa aren't in a mess, we have improved with MON and he will make signings before the new season, I really don't see what there is to be that negative about, now if you supported Newcastle I could understand

Many managers would envy the position that MON is in, so far as the control he has over players in+out, the running of the club etc... He's left to get on with things and do it his own way.

As for the sh1t signings, seriously do a search, their obvious to anyone with half a brain cell.

Really, please name them!
    Knight? - A life long villa fan signed as a squad player and happy to sit on the bench. Gives it everything when called on and that goal against Arsenal!!!
    Sidwell - Plagued by injuries but showed an eye for goal when fit? Could come good this year
    Shorey- Has been a disappointment but showed signs towards the end of season of rediscovering form.

What are the sh1t signings?

Shaun Maloney - good player, sh1t signing since the manager didnt rate him enough to play him regularly
    Nigel Reo-Coker - good player, sh1t signing since the manager didnt rate him enough to play him regularly or in his proper position
    Marlon Harewood - sh1t signing. utterly pointless spending £4.5m on a player youre not going to bother playing at all
    Zat Knight - sh1t signing, doenst really need to be qualified
    Moustapha Salifou - sh1t signing, only £275k, but still utterly pointless
    Wayne Routledge - sh1t signing. yes, lets sign someone and completely not bother using them, at all. why the hell not, after all we have a massive squad and can afford to buy players and not bother using them
    Steven Sidwell - good player, sh1t signing so far. dont think this one was anyones fault though, its just not worked
    Nicky Shorey - sh1t signing. buy him, play him, decide hes crap, play a right back at left back instead. inspired.
    Emile Heskey - need i actually say anything here?

roy keane rated him as an assistant manager

Yes but that doesnt take away from the fact that
    MON = 2 League Cups with f-uck all money
    Steve McClaren = 1 League Cup and millions to spend

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,452 ✭✭✭Time Magazine

Really, please name them!
    Poor signings:
    Heskey
    Salifou
    Maloney
    Routledge
    Carson
    Knight
    Harewood
    Sidwell

Sure, none of them cost a lot of money but they were terrible signings compared to what we should have been trying to get in.

• Advertisement

But Villa aren't in a mess

smallest squad in england (we only have enough players to put out eleven men and fill a bench, no more... and thats the same every summer). 2 most influential players gone from last seasons squad, most likely 3 when bouma retires. a manager who buys mediocrity rather than showing a bit of ambition in the transfer market. less money to spend than previously. inability to push transfers through. cant compete on wages front.

we're not a mess, but for a top 6 club we are a bit of a joke
    we have improved with MON

yes, we have. hes done what hes better than anyone else at. hes brought us from the bottom half to the top half and made us tough to beat. we're not going any further unless he sorts out his transfer policy though.

i find it strange that people will gladly accept the uninspired, bottom of the barrel signings he brings in and still sing his graces. if he can get us top 6 with that, imagine what hed do if he copped himself on and grew some balls
    and he will make signings before the new season,

of course he will. but why the hell arent they being made now to give the team the best possible chance next season? everyone else is managing to sign players just fine
    I really don't see what there is to be that negative about

i want better for villa. i dont want third rate signings that would be at home at stoke or hull. i want top class footballers, playing top class football.

Poor signings:
    Heskey
    Salifou
    Maloney
    Routledge
    Carson
    Knight
    Harewood
    Sidwell

Sure, none of them cost a lot of money but they were terrible signings compared to what we should have been trying to get in.
    Heskey imo is far from a crap signing, he has ability and will be a good squad player

Salifou a very small gamble that hasn't paid off but he was there as a aquad player and cost next to nothing did we expect anything else?

Maloney a good player but too much of a mammy's boy and missed home too much

Routledge same sa Salifou

Carson was on Loan and did well until that England disaster

Knight yes he is poor but he was 4th choice and as such is a good squad player

Harewood a poor signing but not many would agree to sign knowing they would sit on the bench most of the time and he gives 100%

Sidwell well injuries have meant we haven't seen enough but he has the ability Jose saw that

Shaun Maloney - good player, sh1t signing since the manager didnt rate him enough to play him regularly
    Nigel Reo-Coker - good player, sh1t signing since the manager didnt rate him enough to play him regularly or in his proper position
    Marlon Harewood - sh1t signing. utterly pointless spending £4.5m on a player youre not going to bother playing at all
    Wayne Routledge - sh1t signing. yes, lets sign someone and completely not bother using them, at all. why the hell not, after all we have a massive squad and can afford to buy players and not bother using them
    Steven Sidwell - good player, sh1t signing so far. dont think this one was anyones fault though, its just not worked
    Nicky Shorey - sh1t signing. buy him, play him, decide hes crap, play a right back at left back instead. inspired.
    Is that enough for you Tom???

MON won those trophies over 10 years ago, times have changed alot since then.

What he did with Leicester is about as far as he'll take any club in the EPL. He's not good enough to kick on due to his inabilities in the transfer market, his style of play and his fcuk acting about regarding playing players in unfamiliar positions.

Maloney missed his mammy not o'neills fault. His goal per game ratio at villa was quite good.
    Reo-Coker is still young enough to properly make it. Agree he is not a fullback but at times last season we had no choice but to put him in. He did keep Ronaldo in his pocket.
    Knight-As explained before a life long villa fan. Sits on the bench and not a sh1t stirrer. Gives everthing when called upon
    Harewood had a great attitude and was a stop gap signing. Would you prefer to sign prima-donnas or people with character like Harewood?
    Salifou cost nothing and if it worked great. it hasn't but no big deal
    Routledge looked great at Palace and lost his way. MON gave him a chance and realised he just aint quite top half of premier division quality. Again no big deal as cost nothing.
    Sidwell as I said has showed an eye for goal when fit and I expect alot more from him this year
    Shorey very poor start to villa career but showed positive signs towards the end of season.
    Heskey didnt cost a whole lot am who am I to argue with Shearer, Owen and Rooney?

Yes but that doesnt take away from the fact that
    MON = 2 League Cups with f-uck all money
    Steve McClaren = 1 League Cup and millions to spend

mon with villa = almost 100m spent, won nothing, collapsed in quest for 4th place, surrendered the clubs first european adventure for years (when we had a great chance of winning the uefa), signs mediocre rubbish but gets the best out of them

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement