Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Aston Villa Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,335 ✭✭✭death1234567

Neil3030 wrote: »
    and even at that we all know the excuses will be lined up for when he inevitably tanks:
    I can't see him tanking TBH. He's a good player who has the quality necessary to play for England and the Villa. He's comfortable in possession and has a good first touch and good crossing ability. He might not set the world alight as he has little pace and can't beat players but he definitely won't tank. He'll be another Milner.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,235 ✭✭✭✭flahavaj

Very unhappy with this signing, at that price. If the budget is supposedly tighter than last season, why waste 12m on a player who can't even play until Oct-Nov at the earliest, and even at that we all know the excuses will be lined up for when he inevitably tanks: "oh, well sure he'll take a while to gel with the team, he missed preseason etc etc."

Thats a normal price this Summer, especially for an English player. No ones getting any bargains at the moment, its definitely a sellers' market, thats why the big 4 in particular are shelling out very little.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,246 ✭✭✭Esse85

Very unhappy with this signing, at that price. If the budget is supposedly tighter than last season, why waste 12m on a player who can't even play until Oct-Nov at the earliest, and even at that we all know the excuses will be lined up for when he inevitably tanks: "oh, well sure he'll take a while to gel with the team, he missed preseason etc etc."
    January would of been the idael time to sign him. I know Im gonna sound bad cos Im not completely happy with the signing in general.

Last season 37 starts last year, 0 goals, 3 assists. Fairly sh1t for a winger to be fair.

TYpical MON signing, ticks all the boxes, English, hardworking, young and not the type to sulk.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,518 ✭✭✭matrim

I'm happy about Downing even if he's injured and the price is a bit much. He'll definitely improve the squad and if we're pushing for all competitions he will come in very handy later in the season.

I just hope we still sign a proper center midfielder and don't try to push Downing or Milner in there. And for that reason am disappointed that Veloso isn't even on our radar

Now for 2 CB's, a CM and a striker.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,951 ✭✭✭✭Villain

Downing is a good signing but not a priority position unless Young is going to move into a more forward position, or god forbid Milner is going to RB

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,792 ✭✭✭✭JPA

If noone is sold this is a great signing to increase squad depth and competition.

Esse85 wrote: »
    January would of been the idael time to sign him.
    He wasn;t for sale last january as Boro made quite clear.
    Last season 37 starts last year, 0 goals, 3 assists. Fairly sh1t for a winger to be fair.
    He was playing in a sh1t side who only scored 28 goals all season TBF.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,235 ✭✭✭✭flahavaj

Villain wrote: »
    Downing is a good signing but not a priority position unless Young is going to move to Big 4 club.
    Fixed.:p

He wasn;t for sale last january as Boro made quite clear.

He was playing in a sh1t side who only scored 28 goals all season TBF.
    Im talking about this coming January, when he's fit and has games under his belt.

And to not be among those 28 goals, and only assist in 3 of them is still pretty sh1t considering he was the penalty taker as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 857 ✭✭✭wynters

Excellent signing. Liverpool were rumoured to be after him last year for between £15-£17m... If taking him now means we trump Everton and Spurs, it's good business.

Well done MON.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,128 ✭✭✭NabyLadistheman

I think it's a great signing for Villa. I wouldn't get two bogged down in his stats for this season as he played alot in the middle of the park. He handed in a transfer request this time last year but Southgate wouldn't let him go.

I don't think he was entirely happy there for the last year, and playing a very poor side didn't help things. He will be re-invigorated under MON who is sure to get the best out of him & in time will prove a great asset for the Villa

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,154 ✭✭✭✭Neil3030

Im talking about this coming January, when he's fit and has games under his belt.

And to not be among those 28 goals, and only assist in 3 of them is still pretty sh1t considering he was the penalty taker as well.

He played a lot at central midfield last year, probably more often than he did on the wing. My hunch is MON sees him as a CM, longterm replacement for Baz.

So if our budget is 45-50m (including Barry, Harewood and maybe Knight sales) that leaves us with about 35-38m for this window. Now we could go a long way with that if we're clever:

Something like:

Distin - 2m
    Hangelaand - 10m
    Delph - 6m
    Tuncay - 5m
    RVN - 2m

That'd still leave 10-15m for a left back if we need one to replace Freddie and cash over for squaddies.

But I dunno, we'll have to wait and see. Still not happy about splashing what'll probably end up being a quarter or so of our gross spend on a player who can't play until Xmas.

But I dunno, we'll have to wait and see. Still not happy about splashing what'll probably end up being a quarter or so of our gross spend on a player who can't play until Xmas.

He could be back for October. Xmas would be the extreme.

RVN would be soo good for us.

At the minute, this looks ok

Petrov
    NRC

Milner
    Young
    Downing

Carew

RVN would be soo good for us.

Heck while we're signing cripples!

RVN injury problems are too serious.

Heck while we're signing cripples!
    Ah come on, he'll be fit in Oct, he'll probably be on a free transfer although big wages, he certainly knows where the net is at VP, he'd be great for a season or 2.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,420 ✭✭✭Doodee

Didn't Downing have the most shots on target for any player last year?

Of course he scored the least goals :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,249 ✭✭✭✭Kinetic^

Yay,a good signing! Hopefully a few more follow.

Where's Helix to put a negative post on it ???

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13,249 ✭✭✭✭Kinetic^

January would of been the idael time to sign him. I know Im gonna sound bad cos Im not completely happy with the signing in general.

TYpical MON signing, ticks all the boxes, English, hardworking, young and not the type to sulk.

To be fair, his supporting cast was shocking. He'll have some decent players around him which will open up more space for him on the pitch as well as getting him the ball in the right positions.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,452 ✭✭✭Time Magazine

If this means Downing on the left and Young to play more a hole position in a five-man midfield, that could be an excellent move.

If it means anything else, then it's not a great signing.

Putting negativity on this signing is too easy. His foot is broken!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 657 ✭✭✭tomred1

I don't like when we buy injured players.Will he be the same player? When will he actully be able to play?
    Saying that he is a good player and would certainly fit into the team especially if we move A.Young into the middle.

JPA wrote: »
    Putting negativity on this signing is too easy. His foot is broken!!

Funny thing is wasn't it Petrov that did it last day of the season!

Well the thing with this injury is that it's a broken bone.
    Straight forward you would think. It's not a knee injury or back injury or ligament injury, so hopefully it heals and he's better without complications.

Funny thing is wasn't it Petrov that did it last day of the season!

2nd last game, silly Petrov.

RVN - 2m
    Your living in dreamland if you think we would even consider signing RVN or if he would even consider joining us.
    :confused:

Your living in dreamland if you think we would even consider signing RVN or if he would even consider joining us.

Well I'd like to think we'd offer a better package than Blackburn... :rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,858 ✭✭✭glanman

Downing has arrived at VP for negotiations.

Question, how do you perform a medical on a player with a broken foot?

glanman wrote: »
    Downing has arrived at VP for negotiations.

Question, how do you perform a medical on a player with a broken foot?

You check everything but the foot?
    Not an issue.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,879 Mod ✭✭✭✭Bounty Hunter

really happy with this signing as it provides Villa with options be that playing a 5 man midfield with him LW and Young AMC or have Downing replace Barry in the centre or just the fact that now Millner/Young wont have to play every minute of every game due to the huge leap in standard in terms of who would replace them, now if one is playing crap we can sub em off.

as it stands now Young, Milner and Downing could all be swapping positions interchanging as games go on confusing the fck out of the defenders.

• Registered Users Posts: 857 ✭✭✭wynters

He must have found his Feminax :D

I tell ya, start with this:

Petrov

Gardner
    NRC

Milner

Heskey-Carew

And kick the opposition senseless for 50 minutes, before switching to this:

Petrov
    NRC
    -Milner
    Young
    Downing-
    Gabby

:D

I tell ya, start with this:

Petrov

Gardner
    NRC

Milner

Heskey-Carew

And kick the opposition senseless for 50 minutes, before switching to this:

Petrov
    NRC
    -Milner
    Young
    Downing-
    Gabby

:D

Gardner can never start a game or he'd be sent off after 30 minutes.

• Advertisement

article-1199900-05B846CF000005DC-933_468x458.jpg

There he is boys - our £12m signing in all his "I can't stand without prosthetic assistance" glory.

Well I'd like to think we'd offer a better package than Blackburn... :rolleyes:
    Did RVN come out and say he'd like to join Blackburn? No.
    Was the whole Blackburn interested in RVN a load of bollocks? Yes.

Every transfer window fans of clubs, all clubs, not just Villa seem to think that they can sign players who are way out of their league. Like the poster in this forum who thought we should have been after tevez. Must be playing too much football manager or something.

One of the worst lines I've ever seen
    But if the winger breaks Down-in the medical, O'Neill might feel more in a Stew.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,452 ✭✭✭Time Magazine

1487328404-soccer-barclays-premier-league-middlesbrough-v-aston-villa-riverside-stadium.jpg

article-1184446-04F6D8E5000005DC-497_468x334.jpg

Ow.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 17,661 ✭✭✭✭Helix

Downing is a good signing but not a priority position unless Young is going to move into a more forward position, or god forbid Milner is going to RB

or young is off

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,661 ✭✭✭✭Helix

downing was on my list, no issues with this signing at all

1 down, at least 6 more required

Helix wrote: »
    or young is off

Whoop, there it is!

Every transfer window fans of clubs, all clubs, not just Villa seem to think that they can sign players who are way out of their league. Like the poster in this forum who thought we should have been after tevez. Must be playing too much football manager or something.

You're right, my brain's so fried from being stuck up in my computer room getting Scunthorp to the Champions League final in my tenth season in charge that I lost all grip on reality and started believing that in this "real world" Aston Villa have an owner willing to bankroll the club with significant funds, aspirations to rebuild the club to its rightful status as a contender in English football and a manager with an eye for a bargain signing with EPL experience.

I also started getting these completely wild hallucinations about how perhaps two or so years of high wages could be levereged on the relatively low signing fee that RVN would cost the club, or the goals he'd contribue or experience he might share with the younger players in the squad.

The hallucinations then turned really trippy, with these voices telling me "MAN U AREN'T SIGNING ANY MORE PLAYERS THIS WINDOW".... "NONE OF THE OTHER BIG 4 TEAMS ARE LIKELY TO BE INTERESTED, EXCEPT MAYBE ARSENAL IF THE SELL ADEBAYOR".... "CITY HAVE ENOUGH STRIKERS".... "WHO ELSE COULD HE JOIN IN THE EPL?"

Gee there was me also thinking my club presently have a headless roadrunner, a mule and an ADHD sex addict on their books for strikers, and might just be able to do with a player of RVN's proven goalscoring ability, but again, probably spending too much time locked away with Champo.

Could you recommend me a good shrink? Think I need one... these voices man.... they're drivin' me MAD.

Your striker descriptions are confusing. Who's who?

JPA wrote: »
    Your striker descriptions are confusing. Who's who?

Gabby seems to be in there twice

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,016 ✭✭✭mirwillbeback

I was playing Football Manager a few years ago and signed world class footballer Juninho for Middlesboro.

Madness.

You're right actually Gabby could fit 2 of those.

Big John - ADHD sex addict. (ADHD might be a bit harsh, just trying to get across his inconsistency and proneness to losing interest at times)

Gabby - Headless roadrunner.

Heskey - Mule

You go to a strip club once and you're a sex addict? And whats with the ADHD?
    I am so confused. :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,924 ✭✭✭shoutman

Would be glad to see Downing at Villa, all the talk of Football Manager, its funny that in it MON always seems to sign him first.

Thought we could of got him for a bit less though. Especially with boro being relegated.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement