Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Aston Villa Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,661 ✭✭✭✭Helix

shoutman wrote: »
    Would be glad to see Downing at Villa, all the talk of Football Manager, its funny that in it MON always seems to sign him first.

Thought we could of got him for a bit less though. Especially with boro being relegated.

tis a sellers market right now

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,154 ✭✭✭✭Neil3030

JPA wrote: »
    You go to a strip club once and you're a sex addict? And whats with the ADHD?
    I am so confused. :pac:

#JPA stop frowning
    #We've got Stewart Downing

#Na na na na
    #Na na na na - hey!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,918 ✭✭✭✭orourkeda

£12 Million. He deserves a chance at least. We'll see how it goes

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,323 ✭✭✭Savman

I like Downing, think he could be a very good player for Villa. Dunno where he'll fit in tho, his ideal position is already occupied by arguably out most creative player :confused:

Unless MON has some grand masterplan to free up Ashley and let him run havok seeing as a lot of PL teams have copped onto his (our) style of play.

IMHO, a RVN would be a wonderful signing. Downing/Young/Milner are excellent providers, but you need a 'bundle the ball over the line' type player at the end of all that good build up play otherwise it's all in vain.

Big BIG year for Gabby tbh.

I really can't see MON/AVFC being stupid enough to let Carew or Young go, they are an unstoppable pair together.

Savman wrote: »
    IMHO, a RVN would be a wonderful signing. Downing/Young/Milner are excellent providers, but you need a 'bundle the ball over the line' type player at the end of all that good build up play otherwise it's all in vain.

Exactly, plus as someone said on VT, Young has to try beat his man 2 or 3 times each time he gets in the final third because he has nobody to aim at. Any seasoned striker with knowledge of what to do in the box will really add to the distribution of Young, Downing or Milner, while also freeing up space with runs etc for other players should they decide to get the finger out (*COUGH, GABBY)

distin reported to be at bodymoore having his medical right now

Helix wrote: »

I saw rumours of that earlier on Villablog alright, has there been any actually source on this yet?

nah nothing confirmed or concrete

id say its nailed on tbh. despite the fact that we like to think the media know nothing about whats going on at b6, we do generally tend to sign the players we've been the most heavily linked to in the lead up to the window

Well he's a decent enough signing if it's to replace Knight. Nowhere near adequate replacement for ML though.

• Advertisement

depends what capacity hes being used in. its possibly mon wont buy a ml replacement, and instead he's looking for an old head (distin) to stabilise things a little while cuellar and davies build a partnership

I hope not! Though I guess Distin could work with Davies. Distin the tree, Davies the guard dog dog tied to it so to speak.

Prefer to see a solid first teamer brought in though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,235 ✭✭✭✭flahavaj

Neil3030 wrote: »
    Well he's a decent enough signing if it's to replace Knight. Nowhere near adequate replacement for ML though.

He would be a great signing for ye. I thought Liverpool or Spurs might go for him. Cost buttons as well.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,420 ✭✭✭Doodee

RVN is just the type of player we need up front tbh. Downing has a record of taking a lot of shots and a player able to poach goals from that would rock.
    The next few weeks are going to be interesting.

Not a headline grabber and, it kills me to admit, a highly astute signing by MON if it happens.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,246 ✭✭✭Esse85

I hope to god Distin is only being brought in if Knight is leaving, Distin is an average defender who gets caught out of position alot, his distribution is suspect too, he'll do as 4th choice, thats it.

• Advertisement

Man we'd so get about 15-20m for Gabby in this market, if Arsenal come offering some of their Adebayor cash (they were rumoured to have been interested in him before) I'd bite their hand off.

Man we'd so get about 15-20m for Gabby in this market, if Arsenal come offering some of their Adebayor cash (they were rumoured to have been interested in him before) I'd bite their hand off.

i honestly dont think anyone would be interested in gabby, knowing what hed cost. hes just not worth buying for the ridiculous money he'd go for

Arsenal were supposedly interested in him before though, and now they need a striker and have a few bob.

If Knight leaves, id like Distin to replace him. If Bouma is finished id like Warnock. Id like Haangeland to replace Laursen, Bentley to replace Barry, and either Tuncay or Bent up top.

I think its realistic, £2m+£8m+£10m+£10+£12m or£8m
    Gross spend £42m or £38m -£6m for Sale of Knight and Harewood

Net Spend £36m or £32m

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,792 ✭✭✭✭JPA

Esse85 wrote: »
    If Knight leaves, id like Distin to replace him. If Bouma is finished id like Warnock. Id like Haangeland to replace Laursen, Bentley to replace Barry, and either Tuncay or Bent up top.

I think its realistic, £2m+£8m+£10m+£10+£12m or£8m
    Gross spend £42m or £38m -£6m for Sale of Knight and Harewood

Net Spend £36m or £32m

I don't know if we'll sign Downing and Bentley, I couldn't see it happening.
    I'd like a proper centre midfielder, don't really know who.
    Distin is practically done apparently and ditto for Knight to Bolton.

• Advertisement

I don't see any other CM's coming in unless we sign Delph.

NRC
    Gardner
    Sidwell
    Petrov
    Downing
    (Delph)

Will be competing for the 2 - 3 CM spots next year imo. Seeing as we just punt the ball over the midfield anyway it's a bit of a moot point. I'd prefer we fielded 3 glamour models, at least that'd make for decent viewing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,535 ✭✭✭Raekwon

I'd prefer we fielded 3 glamour models, at least that'd make for decent viewing.

lol :D Neil3030 is on fire today!

I think the Downing signing was good business by MON. It was alittle steep but then again so was Ashley Young when we signed him and what a bargain that turned out to be. As was said already, it will be interesting to see where MON plays him.

I'm not too convinced with the potential signing of Distin, he would have been a good signing a few years ago when he left City for Pompey but he will be 32 this year and he looked like an older, shorter, French version of Zat Knight in the games that I seen him in last season. Decent enough stop gap but nowhere near a good enough replacement for Laursen.

Speaking of defenders I really do think that we need a replacement RB (if Bouma gets fit then LB is covered). If we don't get Kyle Naugthon then I think we should test Tottenham's resolve because they have 4 RB's, 3 of which could be decent signings: Chris Gunter, Alan Hutton, Vedran Corluka, and Pascal Chimbonda.

Midfield would be decent enough if we got Delph in but we could still use an attacking midfielder even though MON seems adverse to the idea and seems to prefer attacking wingers flanking a defensive midfield. It might be a good idea to have a Plan B up his sleeve when we become too predictable next season.

Striker wise we definitely need some new blood up top. Bent or Tucany would both be excellent signings, but I have to admit that I'm intrigued by the RVN talk. He would be the perfect type of player to get on the end of Young & Milner's deliveries. I doubt MON would sign him though, way too high profile for the wee man! :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,518 ✭✭✭matrim

i was thinking about a backup rb, what would people think about lauren as a stopgap backup for a year if we don't get anyone else. He's available on a free now.

matrim wrote: »
    i was thinking about a backup rb, what would people think about lauren as a stopgap backup for a year if we don't get anyone else. He's available on a free now.
    I never understood why he never played at Pompey, was he injured all the time???
    He was excellent at Arsenal.

I don't know if we'll sign Downing and Bentley, I couldn't see it happening.
    I'd like a proper centre midfielder, don't really know who.
    Distin is practically done apparently and ditto for Knight to Bolton.

if young is going we'll sign bentley imo

Young isn't leaving.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,879 Mod ✭✭✭✭Bounty Hunter

if young is going we'll sign bentley imo

id have to agree although there is the slight possibility of 5 in midfield with all 4 Wingers who can also play as AMC in a 5 man miidfield getting games and rotating but i dont see that happening so if both Downing and Bentley are signed id have to say id see Young going.

However on the topic of Young going I really dont see the point in him going to Spurs from his point of view but if Liverpool or Man utd for example offered an amount of money too good to turn down i.e 30+mil then that would be a different story. Chelsea rumours have died off or atleast should have tbh since they signed Zhirkov and as J.Cole seems to be about to sign a new contract.

With regards Distin id agree with most as I wouldent pick him as a Laursen replacement but he could be good as a stop gap and an astute siging money wise while we hope Davies develops his potential to become the clubs top CB.

about the possible new CF option unless Tuncay is signed to fill that slot whilst pimarily filling an AM role in the 4-5-1/4-3-3 formation I really dont see anyone like Bent signed. tbh as much as many dont like it a Ched Evans type replacing Harewood imo would be the most likely option that has been rumoured if its not Tuncay (which i believe it will be)

Even if positionally MON intends on using both in the same team eventually you gotta think the Downing signing will really push on A.Young both to sequre his preferred Villa & England position while Downing is not playing due to injury.

Young isn't leaving.

deadly, who else do we sign before the end of the window and how many points do we finish on?

wanna pop down the bookies in the morning

deadly, who else do we sign before the end of the window and how many points do we finish on?

wanna pop down the bookies in the morning

You believe all the negative and none of the positive.
    Who is he going to join exactly?
    The best ITK on VT says he won't leave, and there is no club that can sign him.

Id have to agree, Man Utd have said they are done buying, Arsenal wont spend that type of money on 1 player, if Liverpool could afford to that would mean they would need an Alonso replacement not a winger and i doubt Benitez is in a rush to deal with O Neil, and Chelsea as said have since signed Zhirkov and seamingly got J.Cole to sign a new deal.

Then there is Spurs which is a sideways at best move for Young and Man City where he would be competing with atleast Robinho for a starting place in a world cup year.

Plus he is happy at Villa where he has become a star and the manager thinks hes a genious

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13,249 ✭✭✭✭Kinetic^

Distin would be a decent signing and I'd really like to see Delph come in from Leeds. Hangeland, please!

i never said i believed he would leave, i also never said i believed he wouldnt

neither you nor i know if he will or not

Man Utd have said they are done buying

and if you believe that youll believe anything

and if you believe that youll believe anything
    Yep, Fergie says something similar every transfer window tbh. Berbatov was bought for 30 odd million on deadline day IIRC.

Bentley isn't coming I'd wager. My hunch is he talked himself out of a move by going to the press.

Bentley isn't coming I'd wager. My hunch is he talked himself out of a move by going to the press.

alleged friend of the family says hes likely not going anywhere now, and if he does its likely to be on loan

alleged friend of the family says hes likely not going anywhere now, and if he does its likely to be on loan
    Id be highly surprised if a £15m player went out on loan after just 1 season.

Esse85 wrote: »
    Id be highly surprised if a £15m player went out on loan after just 1 season.

I think that could actually be a smart move by Spurs. As it stands, they look like they're going to make a pretty big loss on the player if they sell him now. A year out on loan, a new club, new challenege, Bentley might regain his form of a year or so ago (all depends on how he approaches it really) and he could then be sold for nearer the price they paid.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,315 ✭✭✭Tomthepost

I can't stand this complete and utter unfounded sh1te talk here. Are ye hoping we sell Young so that you can moan even more about MON (one of the best managers in the game)
    No signings earlier this week - moan
    Sign a quality player like Downing - moan
    Villa = more signings that free spending Appy Arry
    Why are alot of the best young players in the country going to Villa? Because they will be given a chance to make it at Villa.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,128 ✭✭✭NabyLadistheman

Tomthepost wrote: »
    I can't stand this complete and utter unfounded sh1te talk here. Are ye hoping we sell Young so that you can moan even more about MON (one of the best managers in the game)
    Why are alot of the best young players in the country going to Villa? Because they will be given a chance to make it at Villa.

Well said. I read a post earliar in a different thread from a Villa fan offering to drive Agbonlahor down to Arsenal to get rid of him. I think some of the treatment he has received from certain sections of the Villa fan base has been disgraceful. He's still and England U21 FFS and scored a hatfull of goals last season

0,,10265%7E6558155,00.jpg

Downing Signs

Villa have completed the signing of England international Stewart Downing.

The four-year deal was finalised after the left-sided star agreed terms and passed a medical.

Downing becomes Martin O'Neill's first summer signing and adds more quality to the manager's claret and blue squad.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,452 ✭✭✭Time Magazine

MysteryMan on VillaTalk saying "Great signing, now for the other two" :D. He's hinted that Warnock might be on his way. Him and Distin?

Lol, also from VT, here's an exclusive of Stewart arriving at Bodymoor Heath

jimmy%20from%20south%20park.gif

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,910 ✭✭✭✭whatawaster

MON one of the best managers in the game = just your opinion. I think he’s decent, but will never have what it takes to manage at the very top. I hope he’s the next United manager. He must have wonderful PR because the press seem to think he’s a god.
    Downing is average. He has little pace, absolutely no trickery and is a decent crosser of the ball. He improves the depth of your squad I guess, but at 14m it’s very pricey. I’d hope for your sake that MON has intentions of spending similar money on a centre back, full-back and central midfielder – places that really need strengthening.

Who are these best young players in the country who are going to Villa?

Are ye hoping we sell Young so that you can moan even more

im sorry, i must have missed the post where someone said they hoped we would sell young? could you show me where it is?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,518 ✭✭✭matrim

MysteryMan on VillaTalk saying "Great signing, now for the other two" :D.

He's hinted that Warnock might be on his way. Him and Distin?

Warnock and Distin would be good additions. Then let Shorey and Knight go and get in 1 more CB. A CM and a striker

• Advertisement

MysteryMan on VillaTalk saying "Great signing, now for the other two" :D.

He's hinted that Warnock might be on his way. Him and Distin?

Ive always rated Warnock going back to his Liverpool days when i thought he would develop into someone capable of coming through as their LB so id be happy to see him join up although I would fear that his signing would officially signal the end of Wilfred Bouma's Career

MON really turned the Liverpool fans against him eh?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,910 ✭✭✭✭whatawaster

MON really turned the Liverpool fans against him eh?

how so?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,315 ✭✭✭Tomthepost

MON one of the best managers in the game = just your opinion. I think he’s decent, but will never have what it takes to manage at the very top. I hope he’s the next United manager. He must have wonderful PR because the press seem to think he’s a god.
    Downing is average. He has little pace, absolutely no trickery and is a decent crosser of the ball. He improves the depth of your squad I guess, but at 14m it’s very pricey. I’d hope for your sake that MON has intentions of spending similar money on a centre back, full-back and central midfielder – places that really need strengthening.

Who are these best young players in the country who are going to Villa?

He didn't have a great season last year but all players have one of them.
    When you take the strength of depth the English squad has in midfield I think anyone with 23 English caps at 24 must be considered better than average.
    Lets be honest here Downing wouldn't have came near Villa 2 years ago. We are progressing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,372 ✭✭✭✭Mr Alan

Downing is a good player, with the potential to be very good.....14m is quite steep with him not having a great season last year & being quite seriously injured at the moment, but who cares, if he works out it'll be a bargain.

Warnock would be a great buy for yous, cracking player.

Wats the story with Bouma though? Both are too good to be on the bench every week imo.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement