Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Aston Villa Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,910 ✭✭✭✭whatawaster

Tomthepost wrote: »
    He didn't have a great season last year but all players have one of them.
    When you take the strength of depth the English squad has in midfield I think anyone with 23 English caps at 24 must be considered better than average.
    Lets be honest here Downing wouldn't have came near Villa 2 years ago. We are progressing.

Strength of depth in England midfield – has that really been the case for the left wing – has that not been a problem area for England for years?
    Villa have always been a bigger club than Boro, and had he considered leaving Boro two years ago I think he certainly would have considered Villa.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,315 ✭✭✭Tomthepost

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,951 ✭✭✭✭Villain

Warnock would be a good signing imo.

Great to see Downing in, poor last year in a team that got relegated so can't real a whole lot into that and if he can regain his best form he will be a great addition.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,016 ✭✭✭mirwillbeback

No signings earlier this week this transfer window - moan
    Sign a quality injured player like Downing - moan
    Villa = more signings that free spending Appy Arry who added Defoe, Palacios, Keane, Cudicini and Chimbonda in january when MON bought Heskey - moan

fixed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,464 ✭✭✭Ronan Raver77

Young for Chelsea 25mil:( Hope this doesnt materalise..

http://www.football365.com/story/0,17033,16198_5435865,00.html

£12 million been used in press for Downing signing not £14

Anyone that moans about this signing has problems imo

Mr Alan wrote: »
    Downing is a good player, with the potential to be very good.....14m is quite steep with him not having a great season last year & being quite seriously injured at the moment, but who cares, if he works out it'll be a bargain.

Warnock would be a great buy for yous, cracking player.

Wats the story with Bouma though? Both are too good to be on the bench every week imo.

Bouma is too slow IMO. Not convinced by Warnock either though. Lucas Neill for me!

To the nasty poster who seems to 'get lost' on all the posts I submit. Just go back a few pages. If we are linked with a player the negative posters here are very quick to point out it probably means that we are selling Young. These are the same posters incidently that were telling us months ago that Carew was leaving. The same posters that tell us that Bouma is retiring. The same posters that will not give a young talent like Gabby a break. The same posters that were telling us that we had 4th spot in the bag back in Jan and that there was no way in the world that Everton could catch us. Some of us are realists and have consistent opinions thank god.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,661 ✭✭✭✭Helix

Downing is a good player, with the potential to be very good.....14m is quite steep with him not having a great season last year & being quite seriously injured at the moment, but who cares, if he works out it'll be a bargain.

godo thing we only paid £10m with £2m in potential add ons
    Wats the story with Bouma though?

bouma may never play again

Villain wrote: »
    £12 million been used in press for Downing signing not £14

Anyone that moans about this signing has problems imo

Why? Some people just don’t rate him and I’m one of them.
    I think there are better players out there for less money. I’d say Martin Petrov, for example, could be snatched quite cheaply from City given their recent purchases and he offers far more than Downing does. He might be a bit of a risk, but Downing is almost too safe a signing. He’ll not make Villa a top 4 team that’s for sure.

Why? Some people just don’t rate him and I’m one of them.
    I think there are better players out there for less money. I’d say Martin Petrov, for example, could be snatched quite cheaply from City given their recent purchases and he offers far more than Downing does. He might be a bit of a risk, but Downing is almost too safe a signing. He’ll not make Villa a top 4 team that’s for sure.
    Don't rate Downing? Well I suppose that why MON is the manager and your a poster on Boards :D only buzzing

Ah he was poor last season but has ability and is the kind of Player MON likes i.e. British, Young and needs a good manager to get the Best out of him

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,535 ✭✭✭Raekwon

Numerous sources have suggested that Villa & Blackburn head the queue for giant Serbian striker Nikola Zigic. He has been linked with us a few times before and supposedly cash strapped Valencia are will to take £5m for the striker even though they paid over £16m for. Could be a good signing but way too similar to Big John so in the regard I hope it doesn't materialize.

Don't rate Downing? Well I suppose that why MON is the manager and your a poster on Boards :D only buzzing

Ah he was poor last season but has ability and is the kind of Player MON likes i.e. British, Young and needs a good manager to get the Best out of him

Perhaps. I’m not quite sure what it is he does though to be honest. What qualities does he have, apart of course from being young(ish), left-footed and British?

Raekwon wrote: »
    Numerous sources have suggested that Villa & Blackburn head the queue for giant Serbian striker Nikola Zigic. He has been linked with us a few times before and supposedly cash strapped Valencia are will to take £5m for the striker even though they paid over £16m for. Could be a good signing but way too similar to Big John so in the regard I hope it doesn't materialize.

Maybe Big John’s coming to Liverpool!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,365 ✭✭✭✭rossie1977

Downing is average. He has little pace, absolutely no trickery and is a decent crosser of the ball. He improves the depth of your squad I guess, but at 14m it’s very pricey.

14m for an england international with a wealth of premiership experience is considered pricey in todays crazy market, hmm i disagree, bentley cost more, nani cost more, valencia cost more, SWP once cost 20m+

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,246 ✭✭✭Esse85

I sure have problems, just completed an honours degree and I cant get a job.

Downing will do a decent job, he's no bargain.

Maybe Big John’s coming to Liverpool!

I was expecting one of our resident moaners to come to that conclusion:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,452 ✭✭✭Time Magazine

Raekwon wrote: »
    Numerous sources have suggested that Villa & Blackburn head the queue for giant Serbian striker Nikola Zigic.

MON came out and said this wasn't true a year ago.

I'd say Warnock, Distin and Delph will be next.

rossie1977 wrote: »
    14m for an england international with a wealth of premiership experience is considered pricey in todays crazy market, hmm i disagree, bentley cost more, nani cost more, valencia cost more, SWP once cost 20m+

Good point was it £17 million Utd paid for Antonio Valencia?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,323 ✭✭✭Savman

Welcome Stuart :D
    An early xmas pressie...

• Advertisement

rossie1977 wrote: »

I don’t know if it was 14m, but if it was it’s over-priced. I’ve already said I think there is better value for money out there. Look at how much Riera, Petrov and Guttierrez cost in comparison.
    It also depends on what his squad role is going to be. If he’s replacing Young on the left wing, fair enough, it’s a risk, but fair enough, but if he is backup then I would have said someone like Adam Johnson (cheaper and younger) might have been a better bet, as it would have allowed more money to be spent replacing Barry, Laursen and possibly Bouma. I hope he’s a success for you, and I wish him well but I have always had doubts about him, especially when he was linked with liverpool.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,879 Mod ✭✭✭✭Bounty Hunter

I don’t know if it was 14m, but if it was it’s over-priced. I’ve already said I think there is better value for money out there. Look at how much Riera, Petrov and Guttierrez cost in comparison.
    It also depends on what his squad role is going to be. If he’s replacing Young on the left wing, fair enough, it’s a risk, but fair enough, but if he is backup then I would have said someone like Adam Johnson (cheaper and younger) might have been a better bet, as it would have allowed more money to be spent replacing Barry, Laursen and possibly Bouma. I hope he’s a success for you, and I wish him well but I have always had doubts about him, especially when he was linked with liverpool.

where did this 14m value come from first time ive ever seen it quoted above 12m (10m upront 2m add ons) is in this thread on the last 2 pages?

Considering the current market i dont believe a player like Downing could be got for anythimg less even if he will miss a few months football

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,372 ✭✭✭✭Mr Alan

12 million is a decent enough price.

anything less would've been a steal.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,518 ✭✭✭matrim

From the General Krulak thread on villatalk
    Both Randy and Martin have made it crystal clear that Young is NOT for sale. Do NOT be swayed by rumors.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,154 ✭✭✭✭Neil3030

Well said. I read a post earliar in a different thread from a Villa fan offering to drive Agbonlahor down to Arsenal to get rid of him. I think some of the treatment he has received from certain sections of the Villa fan base has been disgraceful. He's still and England U21 FFS and scored a hatfull of goals last season

That was me! Weyhey!! I'm famous!!:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,246 ✭✭✭Esse85

I can't stand this complete and utter unfounded sh1te talk here. Are ye hoping we sell Young so that you can moan even more about MON (one of the best managers in the game)
    No signings earlier this week - moan
    Sign a quality player like Downing - moan
    Villa = more signings that free spending Appy Arry
    Why are alot of the best young players in the country going to Villa? Because they will be given a chance to make it at Villa.
    If you cant stand the heat, you know what you can do.

This is an internet forum for Christs sake, you'd swear we were banging on MON's front door.

• Advertisement

Check out Milner's reply on the AVTV piece on girl's aloud.

Absolute hero.

Martin O'Neill believes Villa have signed a 'multi-purpose' star in Stewart Downing.

The Villa boss says the former Middlesbrough man, who penned a four-year deal this afternoon, will be a valuable asset because he can play in a variety of positions.

He told AVTV: "I think he is excellent and a super signing. I am really pleased he is here.

"He is a young man and he has plenty to offer us. He is a left sided player primarily.

"But I also feel he is capable of not only playing on the left wing but also inside and off the centre forward too, which he has done at Middlesbrough to fantastic effect.

"I also believe he can play in off the right. In many aspects we are getting a multi-purpose player who, when fit, will be terrific for the club."

Esse85 wrote: »
    If you cant stand the heat, you know what you can do.

This is an internet forum for Christs sake, you'd swear we were banging on MON's front door.

If you have such high hopes you might want to start Supporting City :D

Savman wrote: »
    Welcome Stuart :D
    An early xmas pressie...

By the time he plays he'll be an 'on time' xmas pressie!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,492 ✭✭✭MementoMori

Martin O'Neill believes Villa have signed a 'multi-purpose' star in Stewart Downing.

The Villa boss says the former Middlesbrough man, who penned a four-year deal this afternoon, will be a valuable asset because he can play in a variety of positions.

He told AVTV: "I think he is excellent and a super signing. I am really pleased he is here.

"He is a young man and he has plenty to offer us. He is a left sided player primarily.

"But I also feel he is capable of not only playing on the left wing but also inside and off the centre forward too, which he has done at Middlesbrough to fantastic effect.

"I also believe he can play in off the right. In many aspects we are getting a multi-purpose player who, when fit, will be terrific for the club."

and I may also play him at left back if I feel like it:D:D:D

• Advertisement

Gotta tip your hat to Randy and MON on this one:-

1. Spurs want Young.
    2. Villa want Downing.
    3. Spurs would probably go after Downing as a fallback if Villa tell them they won't entertain any offers for Young, creating a bidding war.
    4. Villa keep Spurs guessing, make no official statement about Young.
    5. Villa sign Downing.
    6. Villa make official statement they won't entertain any offers for Young.

Beautiful.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,372 ✭✭✭✭Mr Alan

Neil3030 wrote: »
    Gotta tip your hat to Randy and MON on this one:-

1. Spurs want Young.
    2. Villa want Downing.
    3. Spurs would probably go after Downing as a fallback if Villa tell them they won't entertain any offers for Young, creating a bidding war.
    4. Villa keep Spurs guessing, make no official statement about Young.
    5. Villa sign Downing.
    6. Villa make official statement they won't entertain any offers for Young.

Beautiful.

MON = genius in the transfer market.

:p:pac:

MON = genius in the transfer market.

:p:pac:

Here you, don't be givin me any more signature material, eh? ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,219 ✭✭✭invincibleirish

If MON can pay 10m + 2m addons for Downing then he can offer Pompey 12m for Krancjer whilst haggling over Distin. Then i'll be really impressed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,792 ✭✭✭✭JPA

If MON can pay 10m + 2m addons for Downing then he can offer Pompey 12m for Krancjer whilst haggling over Distin. Then i'll be really impressed.

I think people are confused enough without another left sided/central midfielder signing. :p

• Registered Users Posts: 1,299 ✭✭✭villains77

finally a signing of supposed quality. pity he be out till oct, hopefull its the first of many more signings to come, be good to get delph and a few quality defenders that will push the rest of them and keep them fiting for a place. i think distin could be a good enouhg signing if we get him would be better then knight and davis, would like to see bouma back soon

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,792 ✭✭✭✭JPA

809e39ac.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,900 ✭✭✭Eire-Dearg

A picture of another dude taking a picture.

Doesn't look injured to me. Fake! :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,249 ✭✭✭✭Kinetic^

Should've had him posing with the home jersey, at least it stands out compared to that generic away shirt.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,527 ✭✭✭glenjamin

Just wanted to say good luck with Downing. He's been a class act for us over the last few seasons and been a pleasure to watch his transformation from promising youngster to England regular. Completely understand his reasons for leaving us and hope he goes on to win things with Villa. Just one favour though; please don't buy David Wheater from us too :(

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,879 Mod ✭✭✭✭Bounty Hunter

glenjamin wrote: »
    Just wanted to say good luck with Downing. He's been a class act for us over the last few seasons and been a pleasure to watch his transformation from promising youngster to England regular. Completely understand his reasons for leaving us and hope he goes on to win things with Villa. Just one favour though; please don't buy David Wheater from us too :(

dont think we will but tuncay...

• Registered Users Posts: 857 ✭✭✭wynters

Crazy move by player and club... Corluka, Hutton, Chimbonda, Gunter, Naughton, Walker... how many right backs does one club need?

Still, at least they're not going to Everton so it's the lesser of two evils.

Everton angry as Spurs snatch defensive duo

By Sam Wallace

Friday, 17 July 2009

Tottenham Hotspur have beaten Everton to the signing of both Kyle Naughton and Kyle Walker from Sheffield United. The two right-backs will join Spurs this month in a deal worth a total of £8m, despite Naughton having been a long-term target for David Moyes.

The two players represent Harry Redknapp's first major success in the transfer market this summer – he is also pursuing Klaas-Jan Huntelaar and Patrick Vieira – but the deal has left Everton angry. The club had been given permission by Sheffield United to agree personal terms with Naughton, 20, but that was withdrawn when Spurs offered a lump sum for both players and they have offered the option of loaning Walker, 19, back to Sheffield United for next season.

There have been raised eyebrows in the game as to why Tottenham would need two right-backs when they already have the Wales international Chris Gunter at the club. Gunter, a promising 19-year-old who was bought from Cardiff City in January last year, is now expected to join Nottingham Forest, where he impressed on loan last season.

Spurs believe the decision to sign both is justified because Naughton can play at left-back, but in reality he was only deployed there last season because of injuries at Sheffield United. He is expected to figure prominently in the first-team squad next season as Alan Hutton and Pascal Chimbonda will both leave if deals can be done.

Spurs are confident that there is no interest in Huntelaar from Arsenal, whose priority is Marouane Chamakh at Bordeaux. Huntelaar, who joined Real Madrid for £19m in January, is available but Spurs will have to put together a competitive pay package as they are in competition with Stuttgart, who are in the Champions League next season. Spurs are still waiting to learn whether Internazionale will allow Vieira to leave on a free transfer.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 845 ✭✭✭V1llianous

Kinetic^ wrote: »
    Should've had him posing with the home jersey, at least it stands out compared to that generic away shirt.

The home shirt for next season hasn't been released yet or I'm sure they would have used it.

lol Papers "Birmingham are chasing Craig Gardner"

wynters wrote: »
    Crazy move by player and club... Corluka, Hutton, Chimbonda, Gunter, Naughton, Walker... how many right backs does one club need?

id have corluka off them if i was mon

lol Papers "Birmingham are chasing Craig Gardner"

Christ, take him!

Kinetic^ wrote: »
    Christ, take him!

nah

gardners a feckin hero

no chance hed join blues anyway

Sources close to Aston Villa FC have indicated that a fee in the region of £7,000,000 has been agreed with Leeds United for midfielder Fabian Delph. Although no official confirmation has been issued by the club at this time it is believed that the deal is based around paying Leeds £5,000,000 upfront with the balance dependent on league and international appearances. It is expected that Delph will travel to the Midlands next week upon his return from Leeds' pre-season tour of Ireland to undergo a full medical and discuss personal terms. As part of the deal it has been agreed that young Villa striker Nathan Delfouneso will join Leeds on a season loang loan deal.

posted on vt

Nice!

Seriously though, gardner out! :D

• Advertisement

I would be really really surprised if Gardner left for Brum.

Delph is a gamble but at £5m he might be worth it

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement