Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Aston Villa Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,661 ✭✭✭✭Helix

2-1 now

2 in 2 from sidwell

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,315 ✭✭✭Tomthepost

Cool down there now.:D:D:D
    By the way I think your attitude will do very little to encourage new villa fans posting comments here.
    Names????
    Can anyone else give me the names he is on about????
    You might also notice the odd villa fan in here seems to agree with my views on your negative attitude and that MON is the right man to lead Villa.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,452 ✭✭✭Time Magazine

FFS this isn't the "Helix doesn't think MON is the greatest man on earth" thread. Everyone agrees he has a point, but nearly nobody agrees with him. Fine. Fantastic. Who cares. Google it if you really want to know the details.

2-2. Good to see McGurk having a run.

set up by weimann

for a kid wed heard nothing about til saturday, hes not having a bad preseason is he

anyone know anything about the lad?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,552 ✭✭✭✭GuanYin

Another post like that Helix and you'll be banned from the forum.

Report a post if you have a problem.

• Advertisement

FFS this isn't the "Helix doesn't think MON is the greatest man on earth" thread. Everyone agrees he has a point, but nearly nobody agrees with him. Fine. Fantastic. Who cares. Google it if you really want to know the details.

2-2. Good to see McGurk having a run.

Another chap without a name! :D Also no not everyone agrees he has a point!

Tomthepost wrote: »
    Another chap without a name! :D Also no not everyone agrees he has a point!

You don't agree that MON's signings have been below average in quality/value overall?

You must be mad.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,792 ✭✭✭✭JPA

Helix wrote: »
    set up by weimann

for a kid wed heard nothing about til saturday, hes not having a bad preseason is he

anyone know anything about the lad?

He's fighting the stigma against small player that's for sure.Here he is on a night out.

3d8a7ca5.jpg

You don't agree that MON's signings have been below average in quality/value overall?

You must be mad.

You a politician perhaps?
    Im looking for simple answers to simply questions
    Q1: Name MON's so called 'media buddies'?
    Q2: Name a creditable alternative to MON that would take the Villa job?
    Just cause im not here everyday doesnt me I dont have a right to an opinion or to ask a question by the way.

You a politician perhaps?
    No, I'm an economist. Strange, that. Are you in capable of using the search function, perhaps?

I'll do you a favour if you stop banging on about it.
    Q1: Name MON's so called 'media buddies'?
    I'll name one. Gary Lineker. Perhaps because of the Leicester link, but I've never seen Lineker criticise MON beyond "Well, Villa have hit a poor run of form. Is it because they've lost Laursen?"

They go way back and Lineker has listed two manager as "the best". One is Sir Alex. Guess who the other is.
    Q2: Name a creditable alternative to MON that would take the Villa job?
    I'll name one: Avram Grant.

Seeing as I've answered your questions, will you please do us all a favour and not continue the discussion?

• Advertisement

had he followed the link i gave him he couldve found that himself

JPA wrote: »
    He's fighting the stigma against small player that's for sure.Here he is on a night out.

3d8a7ca5.jpg

:D:D:D

top marks

No, I'm an economist. Strange, that. Are you in capable of using the search function, perhaps?

I'll do you a favour if you stop banging on about it.

I'll name one. Gary Lineker. Perhaps because of the Leicester link, but I've never seen Lineker criticise MON beyond "Well, Villa have hit a poor run of form. Is it because they've lost Laursen?"

They go way back and Lineker has listed two manager as "the best". One is Sir Alex. Guess who the other is.

Seeing as I've answered your questions, will you please do us all a favour and not continue the discussion?

Thank you for that and the recession:D
    The loss of Laursen indeed was the main reason in my opinion.
    Not quiet as funny as Mark Hughes is the name Grant but hardly a creditable alternative all the same in my opinion.
    A final thought for the night. If Fergie went and MON took over do you really think United fans would be really p1ssed off.
    Good night and you'll be glad to know I intend returning and will always question statements without foundation.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,951 ✭✭✭✭Villain

Anyone know any details about Villa's pre-season training camp in Malaga, I'm heading over on Monday and would to see them in action

Villain wrote: »
    Anyone know any details about Villa's pre-season training camp in Malaga, I'm heading over on Monday and would to see them in action
    Dunno. Call the club I'd say, +44 121 327 2299, for details of where they're training. Tickets to the matches in Malaga are here.

Cheers, just in the middle of booking tickets for 2nd match I don't arrive until Monday so I'll catch the Wednesday game and maybe the Friday game if they win the group. I'll call the club and see if I can see a training session, a great holiday now has the potential to be fecking amazing

the peace cup is being televised by the way lads

not here, but somewhere in spain so we'll be able to watch the games

A final thought for the night. If Fergie went and MON took over do you really think United fans would be really p1ssed off.

yes. go ask in their thread if you dont think so

mon wouldnt last 12 months at united, and i dont think even the most ardent mon supporter on the planet could argue otherwise

the peace cup is being televised by the way lads

not here, but somewhere in spain so we'll be able to watch the games

Feck that tickets for second game booked :D

Now to find where training camp is and to get in for a few photos ;)

Ask the General.

• Advertisement

Cheers JPA just did :D

we had a training camp in malaga last summer, if you can find out where it was id wager good money on us being there again

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,391 ✭✭✭One Cold Hand

Thank you for that and the recession:D

Yes they would. O'Neill wouldn't last long at any top 4 club imo.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,918 ✭✭✭✭orourkeda

Yes they would. O'Neill wouldn't last long at any top 4 club imo.

Why not? Thats clearly not true. He's improved every club he's been at. To suggest he wouldnt do an equally good job at a top four club is contentious

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,016 ✭✭✭mirwillbeback

So it's now the 24th of July.

We won 2 league games since Feb.

Only addition to squad is Stewart Downing, who will be unable to play until Nov.

It is NOT looking good.

OK. This is now his fourth season as manager of the club. There has been an improvement in each of the previous three seasons. The club are going in the right direction?

What else can we expect?

orourkeda wrote: »
    Why not? Thats clearly not true. He's improved every club he's been at. To suggest he wouldnt do an equally good job at a top four club is contentious

neither his style of play nor his transfer market policy would cut it at a top 4 club imo

neither his style of play nor his transfer market policy would cut it at a top 4 club imo

Why not?

OK. This now his fourth season as manager of the club. There has been an improvement in each of the previous three seasons. The club are going in the right direction?

What else can we expect?

2007 / 2008 - 6th place finish, 60 pts, GD + 20

2008 / 2009 - 6th place finish, 62pts, GD + 2

I would expect a hell more of an improvement after spending approx 50m last summer.

What would you expect?

• Advertisement

I hope I can find the team hotel in Malaga and tell MON how great he is and not to mind Helix lol :D

How much did spurs spend last season? 2 points from the first 8 games.

How much have manchester city spent this summer?

I remember the coventry city chairman suggesting that their club had to spen arounf £12 Million in one season just to stand still when they were a premiership club. Its worse now.

Have the club not improved since David O'Leary's reign

Why not?

can you see united fans accepting the style of football villa play? or a complete lack of inventiveness in the transfer market?

tbh i think mon is a foundation builder, not a decorator

give him a finished product and i dont think hed know what to do with it

can you see united fans accepting the style of football villa play? or a complete lack of inventiveness in the transfer market?

tbh i think mon is a foundation builder, not a decorator

give him a finished product and i dont think hed know what to do with it

Why wouldnt they if he maintained their current level of success? Manchester United have a far superior budget to most other clubs. There could be no excuse for inactivity in the market there.

MON would do well there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,219 ✭✭✭invincibleirish

As Villa peaked and faded Spurs & City found some form in the second half of the season. Citys home form and Spurs central defence were 2 things better then Villas last season.

Anyone think Distin is staying at Pompey now Arab billionaire has taken over?.

mon has as much of a budget as he wants with villa though, and he still never appears to try for anything more than the same template of player

i dont think united would be happy with mon going after players with something to prove rather than finished items

• Advertisement

mon has as much of a budget as he wants with villa though, and he still never appears to try for anything more than the same template of player

i dont think united would be happy with mon going after players with something to prove rather than finished items

Manchester United would be a greater draw for any player. I think thats fair to say. Hence the ability to sign greater quality players.

I still believe that theres little or no point in signing players for the sake of it. I wouldnt suggest for a second that all of his signings have been fantastic but the good outweighs the bad at the moment

Ah yes i see new Pompey boss Hart has confirmed club have rejected a bid from an unnamed PL club and want to keep him. I'd say this ship has sailed for MON.

http://www.football365.com/story/0,17033,8652_5447880,00.html

Ah yes i see new Pompey boss Hart has confirmed club have rejected a bid from an unnamed PL club and want to keep him. I'd say this ship has sailed for MON.

http://www.football365.com/story/0,17033,8652_5447880,00.html

Its likely that it was Villa but not 100% certain

I thought the Distin deal was as good as done, but I think there was nobody there to say no until yesterday!

Its likely that it was Villa but not 100% certain

Who else is going to be bidding for a veteran from one of the defences which were even worse then Villas last season?.

• Advertisement

Who else is going to be bidding for a veteran from one of the defences which were even worse then Villas last season?.

31 is veteran now?

Tottenham

31 is veteran now?

I liked it better when Villa were linked with him a few years ago. Still its better then the murmurs that they they were in for Sol Campbell. If you think Distin is the defensive signing to steady the ship JPA then more power to you.

I liked it better when Villa were linked with him a few years ago. Still its better then the murmurs that they they were in for Sol Campbell. If you think Distin is the defensive signing to steady the ship JPA then more power to you.

Well I think he is one potential signing that would improve our defence with his experience. He's not exactly McGrath but he'd do a good job for us.

Well I think he is one potential signing that would improve our defence with his experience. He's not exactly McGrath but he'd do a good job for us.

It wouldnt be the worst signing in the world.

I don't think Distin is any better then whats there. In Distin-Davies-CC-Knight Villa would have 4 fairly average CBs. Suggests to me we'll have more of what we saw last season with chopping and changing at the back as the season goes on.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,246 ✭✭✭Esse85

As Villa peaked and faded Spurs & City found some form in the second half of the season. Citys home form and Spurs central defence were 2 things better then Villas last season.

Anyone think Distin is staying at Pompey now Arab billionaire has taken over?.
    Hopefully so.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,246 ✭✭✭Esse85

After the defensive mess we were last season, if MON thinks that Distin is the solution, then for that reason alone, he should be dismissed.

A 31 year old average CB, we can do better, alot better FFS

But then again, have we heard official confirmation that MON is even interested??

How much did spurs spend last season? 2 points from the first 8 games.

How much have manchester city spent this summer?

I remember the coventry city chairman suggesting that their club had to spen arounf £12 Million in one season just to stand still when they were a premiership club. Its worse now.

Have the club not improved since David O'Leary's reign

Spurs sacked Juande Ramos after he didn't get results after a massive spend. We still have O Neill.

Also, if you spend 12m to stand still, MON's 50m spend got us 2 extra points. I keep going back to the same point - last season, we had our best chance that we will probably now ever have of breaking into the top 4, and reaping the rewards associated, but we didn't, we blew it, MON blew it, and at the highest level that is what separates the great from the good.

And for me the blame for the whole mess is MON. Sorry if my opinion upsets you, but for me it's plain to see. The funny thing is, if we don't sign anyone, change our play and start well, I reckon most on here will be saying the same thing. And as of today, nothing suggests to me that we will have a good start.

pompey turned down our bid for distin and say hes staying

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement