Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Aston Villa Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,792 ✭✭✭✭JPA

Helix wrote: »
    pompey turned down our bid for distin and say hes staying

We're just talking about that.

I don't think Distin is any better then whats there. In Distin-Davies-CC-Knight Villa would have 4 fairly average CBs. Suggests to me we'll have more of what we saw last season with chopping and changing at the back as the season goes on.

Distin is clearly better than Knight no? I said he would be a good potential signing but also think we would need another CB with Knight supposed to be joining Bolton.
    We also probably need a new LB and CM. A weak left back and slow central midfield last year resulted in a lot of pressure being put on the centre of defence, so an overall team improvement would therefore result in a better defence.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,154 ✭✭✭✭Neil3030

What grates me is that MON probably had all his eggs in one basket with Distin, but was holding off to get the best price. Now if it falls through he'll have no fallback. That's what happened with Heskey last summer and we just didn't buy a striker.

The squad we have at present will probably finish in the top half, certainly behind City and Everton and highly likely behind Fulham and Sunderland (they're going to be much improved next year).

I really like O'Neill, I want him to do great things with our club, so for his sake I really hope he gets his goddam finger out this Summer or else sadly, his fate is sealed imo.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,219 ✭✭✭invincibleirish

JPA wrote: »
    Distin is clearly better than Knight no? I said he would be a good potential signing but also think we would need another CB with Knight supposed to be joining Bolton.
    We also probably need a new LB and CM. A weak left back and slow central midfield last year resulted in a lot of pressure being put on the centre of defence, so an overall team improvement would therefore result in a better defence.

All Distin has going for him is starring roles in mediocre defences in the PL going back years. The most impressive part of Pompeys defence last season was Glen Johnson, Distin & Campbell let in nearly 60 in the league last season. I don't think he'll add anything substantial to what Villa already have.

Lets not talk about the significance of blowing 4th last season. It makes me sad.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,518 ✭✭✭matrim

All Distin has going for him is starring roles in mediocre defences in the PL going back years. The most impressive part of Pompeys defence last season was Glen Johnson, Distin & Campbell let in nearly 60 in the league last season. I don't think he'll add anything substantial to what Villa already have.

Lets not talk about the significance of blowing 4th last season. It makes me sad.

I wouldn't have minded Distin + somebody else with Knight leaving. But that's out the window now it seems.

We're now being linked with Senderos which I'm not too sure about.

Also Fulham are being being linked with Turner so maybe that could mean Hangeland might be on the move

Oh god Sendoros, oh no. I wouldnt mind seeing Turner at Villa, can't see Hangeland coming to VP, he will surely have tastier offers if he chooses to leave Fulham.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,246 ✭✭✭Esse85

Spuds signed the Sheff Utd full backs.

Spurs must have a dozen full backs now, how about a move for Chimbonda? he can play across the backline and doesn't strike me as a guy who won't mind upping sticks if the moneys right.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,918 ✭✭✭✭orourkeda

We're just talking about that.

They sacked Martin Jol because he finished 5th twice in a row and because they conned themselves into thinking they had a champion league team. They didnt then and they still dont. Villa dont have a champions league team either. Is sacking the manager going to solve this.

Neil3030 wrote: »
    What grates me is that MON probably had all his eggs in one basket with Distin, but was holding off to get the best price. Now if it falls through he'll have no fallback. That's what happened with Heskey last summer and we just didn't buy a striker.

The squad we have at present will probably finish in the top half, certainly behind City and Everton and highly likely behind Fulham and Sunderland (they're going to be much improved next year).

I really like O'Neill, I want him to do great things with our club, so for his sake I really hope he gets his goddam finger out this Summer or else sadly, his fate is sealed imo.

I'll bet any amount of Money that Villa finish ahead of sunderland.

• Advertisement

Spurs must have a dozen full backs now, how about a move for Chimbonda? he can play across the backline and doesn't strike me as a guy who won't mind upping sticks if the moneys right.

Chimbonda's trouble

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,661 ✭✭✭✭Helix

matrim wrote: »
    I wouldn't have minded Distin + somebody else with Knight leaving. But that's out the window now it seems.

We're now being linked with Senderos which I'm not too sure about.

Also Fulham are being being linked with Turner so maybe that could mean Hangeland might be on the move

we could do worse than turner ourselves tbh

hes gonna be a very very very very good defender for years to come

if we were gonna get a spurs full back in id have to take corluka

i really really hope we go for him

Corluka and Turner would make us a threat from corners and frees again imo. Really missed Olly and then Laursen after his injury.

i dont think itd break the bank to bring both in either tbh

corluka can play in the center too so could provide backup there, and turner would bring some much needed height (not that our defence is small, its just that we're missing the precence of laursen in the air)

i dont think itd break the bank to bring both in either tbh

corluka can play in the center too so could provide backup there, and turner would bring some much needed height (not that our defence is small, its just that we're missing the precence of laursen in the air)

Corluka is 6"4 too.

• Advertisement

Wikipedia says Corluka signed a 6 year contract when he signed. He would be a signing in the right direction. He'd be a big improvement on the last Croation that joined.

And Glen Johnson wasn't in that defence? Is he immune from criticism?
    Pompey fell apart when redknapp left that's what happened them.

Also why on earth would spurs sell Corluka?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,315 ✭✭✭Tomthepost

Esse85 wrote: »
    Wikipedia says Corluka signed a 6 year contract when he signed. He would be a signing in the right direction. He'd be a big improvement on the last Croation that joined.

Was that the great Bosco Balaban:o

I see your point but Distin has done his thing at Newcastle & Man City, neither known as solid teams in their time and neither are Pompey. As mentioned before he wouldnt be the worst signing but is he a Laursen replacement? surely as Esse said Villa can do better?.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,492 ✭✭✭MementoMori

Also why on earth would spurs sell Corluka?

The same Glen Johnson who was named as rightback in the team of the year.
    Pretty sure he had a decent season.

• Advertisement

Tomthepost wrote: »

Correct

Tomthepost wrote: »

bosco.jpg

Could've no worse then Bosko thats for sure

The Corluka thing is just wishful thinking on our behalf. No doubt Spuds will be selling some of their defenders, probably the likes of Hutton, Chimbonda etc... but if would be great if we could engineer a move for him.

Marlon Harewood's agent has admitted that the Aston Villa striker would jump at the chance to join Hull City.

The Tigers are reported to have enquired about the striker's availability at Villa shortly after they secured their Premier League status on the last day of the season last term.

However, manager Phil Brown diverted his attention to more lucrative deals with Michael Owen, Marc-Antoine Fortune and Fraizer Campbell all offered the chance to move to the KC Stadium.

After seeing the trio reject the chance to join the club, Brown has now re-focused his gaze on Harewood with the 29-year-old desperate to leave Villa Park having made just six substitute appearances in the Premier League last time out.

His agent Phil Sproson declares that the opportunity to link up with former team-mate Bobby Zamora, who Hull hope to unveil on Thursday, would interest Harewood.

"Marlon would certainly jump at the chance to join Hull City and the club knows that," he told the Hull Daily Mail.

"Hull City know where we are and know Marlon's situation.

"I have spoken to Phil Brown recently and he said the situation was that Hull were looking at a couple of players and were assessing their options.

"Marlon and Bobby played together at West Ham, they know each other very well and are friends, so he would love to play alongside him again."

Meanwhile, Brown has revealed that the club have offered personal terms to Zamora, after having a £5million bid for the Fulham man accepted, and are waiting for the 28-year-old to weigh up his options.

"I spoke to Bobby and he was well received. I had a few hours with him and it was all positive," he said.

"He's gone back and he's got a lot to think about. Hopefully, from our point of view it will be a good return."

http://www.football365.com/story/0,17033,8690_5447913,00.html

Too many false dawns about Harewoods exit, he's been on his wayout for the past 3 windows now. Probably still an unused Villa sub come August.

I see your point but Distin has done his thing at Newcastle & Man City, neither known as solid teams in their time and neither are Pompey. As mentioned before he wouldnt be the worst signing but is he a Laursen replacement? surely as Esse said Villa can do better?.

Well I'd be disappointed if Distin was the only CB we signed, but as a squad addition he'd be great.

The same Glen Johnson who was named as rightback in the team of the year.
    Pretty sure he had a decent season.

No doubt he had a good season, but you can't say Pompeys defensive woes were entirely to blame on the centre backs, it was a team effort.

im wary of getting my hopes up since we're only short of having the kit man named, but freddie is in the peace cup squad!

Hope Freddie recovers. Hate to see a career ended trying to qualify us for a tournament we eventually give up on.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,951 ✭✭✭✭Villain

See Southgate said Mido and Tuncay want to leave but he's not sure if the deals will happen

villa home kit unveiled tomorrow, and apparently its just like our 87/88 kit according to these guys http://www.acasports.co.uk/product_info.php?cpath=23_29_610&products_id=4779
    Made with Nike's DriFit materials to keep players dry and cool, this football shirt includes the teams Sponsor logo, the charity Acorns, as well as styling from the 1980's were the strip featured a half pin-stripe and half block colour design.

this was that kit:

aston-villa-1987-1988-n.gif

so in my boredom, i (shoddily) knocked out a mock up in photoshop

mockuphome.jpg

potentially a lovely jersey so fingers crossed for something along those lines

also potentially a disaster actually

• Advertisement

That's horrific!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,452 ✭✭✭Time Magazine

Bet it'll look like Fulham's new one but with our colours.

414l-1.jpg

artists_impression.jpg

Stolen from VT:

f74d7366.png

It's nice. I like.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,335 ✭✭✭death1234567

Helix = P3te on villatalk?
    This one is epic:
    villahome.png

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,879 Mod ✭✭✭✭Bounty Hunter

Helix = P3te on villatalk?
    This one is epic:
    villahome.png

that is really nice, would even make me consider purchasing it but i tend to pick them as bday/christmass gifts from people so nay, still tho ill be happier than usual to recieve this one

id buy that in a ****ing flash

dont think itll be that based on the description in the other one tho, thats nothing like any of our 80s kits at all

id buy that in a ****ing flash

dont think itll be that based on the description in the other one tho, thats nothing like any of our 80s kits at all

Why trust what some random website says though?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,016 ✭✭✭mirwillbeback

so in my boredom, i (shoddily) knocked out a mock up in photoshop

far too much time on your hands

:D

• Advertisement

Why trust what some random website says though?

coz theyre a retailer wholl have gotten the official blurb from the distributors?

winner

aston-villa-special-shirt-1981-to-1982-s_6114_1.jpg

aston-villa-goalkeeper-shirt-1993-to-1995-s_2177_1_500x400.jpg

Bring back the 90s. Bring back Mark Bosnich.

aston-villa-goalkeeper-shirt-1993-to-1995-s_2177_1_500x400.jpg

Bring back the 90s. Bring back Mark Bosnich.

Oh yes I still have one of them somewehere :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,518 ✭✭✭matrim

aston-villa-home-shirt-1992-to-1994-s_1334_1.jpg

I think this one was my first Villa jersey

• Advertisement

Just read Sidwell's interview there in the E&S.

I really think there's a cracking player in there somewhere.

Petrov

Sidwell

Milner
    Young
    Downing
    Carew

Something like that when all parties are fit and on form would be decent imo.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,016 ✭✭✭mirwillbeback

matrim wrote: »
    aston-villa-home-shirt-1992-to-1994-s_1334_1.jpg

I think this one was my first Villa jersey

I got that one, or something very similiar in 1992, the bird I was going out with wrote to Steve Staunton and asked would he send over a signed jersey if we sent the money. Got the whole team's autographs, then being a pleb wore it a few times and sure after 2 washes they were all gone.

What a spa I was*

*am

I really think there's a cracking player in there somewhere.

Petrov

Sidwell

Milner
    Young
    Downing
    Carew

Yeah Young is a cracking player alright :pac:

Yeah Young is a cracking player alright :pac:

You should change your name to 'The A**hole'

:pac:

You should change your name to 'The A**hole'

:pac:

I was going to respond with "There's no magazine called The Asshole." But I googled it and there is.

And it's very NSFW :o

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement