Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Aston Villa Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,924 ✭✭✭shoutman

JPA wrote: »
    Stolen from VT:

f74d7366.png

It's nice. I like.

Pretty disappointed with the new jersey, its not bad, its just near identical to last years one, would have loved if the above mock up was the new jersey....

Probably not going to buy the new jersey seeing as its so similar, but probably will end up getting it...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,792 ✭✭✭✭JPA

I don't know what ye expected. :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,918 ✭✭✭✭orourkeda

Thats only a trivial matter

• Registered Users Posts: 857 ✭✭✭wynters

It's just changed from a V-neck to a round neck???

Some of the guys on VT mocked-up designs that were way better than that. Bring back the poll I say! They didn't fck with the traditional claret torso and blue sleevs though so we should be thankful for that at least.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,661 ✭✭✭✭Helix

orourkeda wrote: »
    Thats only a trivial matter

theres not really much else for us to talk about tho is there lol

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 845 ✭✭✭V1llianous

Can't see any differences from last year's kit :D

http://www.avfc.premiumtv.co.uk/page/News/0,,10265~1732674,00.html

0,,10265~6769824,00.jpg

We'll be talking about make up and washing our hair next.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,792 ✭✭✭✭JPA

Is that Cuellar beardless? Now that's news.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,246 ✭✭✭Esse85

shoutman wrote: »
    Pretty disappointed with the new jersey, its not bad, its just near identical to last years one, would have loved if the above mock up was the new jersey....

Probably not going to buy the new jersey seeing as its so similar, but probably will end up getting it...
    I would of loved this.

Why did they bother bringing out a new kit when its so identical??

Ripping the fans off i guess.

JPA wrote: »
    Is that Cuellar beardless? Now that's news.

Brad Friedel looks well in his sexy green number

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,879 Mod ✭✭✭✭Bounty Hunter

We'll be talking about make up and washing our hair next.

I wont but sure whatever your into :pac::pac:

Carlos in his lovely white leather shoes.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,951 ✭✭✭✭Villain

Looks the same as:
    AstonVillaHSS0304.gif

The "new jersey" is as disappointing as MON's transfer policy this summer. Im just sorry I actually got my hopes up.

Esse85 wrote: »
    The "new jersey" is as disappointing as MON's transfer policy this summer. Im just sorry I actually got my hopes up.

Dont be like that. Theres plenty of time to put that right.

Dont be like that. Theres plenty of time to put that right.
    Helix wrote: »
    plenty of time left, the season is only finished
    plenty of time left, the window hasnt even opened yet
    plenty of time left, its only july 1st
    plenty of time left, we're not back in training yet

plenty of time left, we havent played our first friendly yet
    plenty of time left, still 2 weeks til the season starts
    plenty of time left, we havent played our first game yet
    plenty of time left, the window doesnt close til 2nd september

and as it stands now

plenty of time left, we havent played our first friendly yet

:p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,951 ✭✭✭✭Villain

I know I mean all our competitors are signing sooo many players

Villain wrote: »

i dont see what that has to do with anything to be honest

if they all stopped training would that make it ok for us to do the same?

Villain wrote: »

Thats right.

Everton have certainly broken the bank with Spurs have set the transfer window alight

Thats right.

Everton have certainly broken the bank with Spurs have set the transfer window alight

both have more signings ready to play the first 4 months of the season than we do tho

• Advertisement

both have more signings ready to play the first 4 months of the season than we do tho

Many Tottenham players are there to make up numbers. The club are actively seeking to offload several high profile signings. We are not in that position thankfully

Many Tottenham players are there to make up numbers. The club are actively seeking to offload several high profile signings. We are not in that position thankfully
    Better to have players than to have none at all.

spurs are the exact opposite end of the scale, i wish people would stop using the "spurs arguement" (tm) whenever transfers come up

its not an either or, there IS a middleground between not having enough players and buying up a load of over paid, over priced fancy dans

Better to have players than to have none at all.

Not strictly. Spurs have a good few players there that they wouldnt miss if they left in the morning and are, as such, making up the numbers. Is there any particular reason why our club should be the same

Is there any particular reason why our club should be the same

tottenham arguement (tm)

hurrah!

Not strictly. Spurs have a good few players there that they wouldnt miss if they left in the morning and are, as such, making up the numbers. Is there any particular reason why our club should be the same
    Its not a case of Spurs or nothing, there is an inbetween.

Its not a case of Spurs or nothing, there is an inbetween.

Yes. Thats the ideal

Yes. Thats the ideal
    And thats where I want Villa to be and thats why Im frustrated because at the minute, we're no where near that stage and the clock is ticking.

And thats where I want Villa to be and thats why Im frustrated because at the minute, we're no where near that stage and the clock is ticking.

I'd love to see some good quality signings too. Who wouldnt? Maybe good things come to those who wait

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,951 ✭✭✭DSB

I'd love to see some good quality signings too. Who wouldnt? Maybe good things come to those who wait

And in which season since MON joined has this happened? The season where MON signed enough players to have a sufficient squad for the Premiership, instead of just relying on the class of a few players. I don't remember that season, sure its the exact reason why we're ****e in the second half of every season. Its pure and utter negligence.

DSB wrote: »
    And in which season since MON joined has this happened? The season where MON signed enough players to have a sufficient squad for the Premiership, instead of just relying on the class of a few players. I don't remember that season, sure its the exact reason why we're ****e in the second half of every season. Its pure and utter negligence.

The club has improved. How and why is this negligent

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,219 ✭✭✭invincibleirish

I like the shirt. Simple, plain and no nonsense.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,299 ✭✭✭villains77

i stick to the home and away from last year allthough i like the new away jersey some of the training gear is nice to cant wait for the villa fiorentina game off on hols from sunday week

• Registered Users Posts: 1,299 ✭✭✭villains77

what up with downings injury is it a set back or will he not be back till december, hope we get some quality signings in soon if were looking to imrpove on the last 2 seasons we need to buy some toip players that would push the rest of what we have, distin and tuncany would be good signings imo if we get them but mon never say who he has in mind so we have wait till the signings arrive. i know it a pain in the ass with all the r
    rumours but have them arent even true half the time

Wasn't Downing always not going to be fit til December/January anyway? When Stan stood on his foot i thought his inevitable summer move to Spurs had been scuppered and laughed at 'arry missing out. Karma in action i s'pose.

• Advertisement

Wasn't Downing always not going to be fit til December/January anyway? When Stan stood on his foot i thought his inevitable summer move to Spurs had been scuppered and laughed at 'arry missing out. Karma in action i s'pose.

october afaik

I like the shirt. Simple, plain and no nonsense.

like the last 3 unfortunately

just not enough different for me to buy it after the last 2 being almost identical

its a pity coz im a sucker for new jersey

The club has improved. How and why is this negligent

This is a lazy opinion to have though, I mean its somewhat akin to replacing your really poor striker with a striker with bags of ability with one with bags of ability, who does a decent enough job and scores some goals, when in reality if he did everything that was required of him in his job, he could probably be hitting 20-30 goals a season. When in reality you could sign yourself a striker with maybe less ability, but does everything required of him, and you'd probably get a better goal tally.

MON has some great qualities, great man manager, has transformed some players into excellent footballers, but his unwillingness to ever have Villa with the neccessary sized squad for a Premiership campaign (now coupled with Euro campaigns) has to be seen as negligence. I mean, if you go into battle without enough weapons, you might do very well for a period, if your weapons are good, but when they run out, you'll quickly find yourself losing the battle in the end.

God I love metaphors:D:D:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,154 ✭✭✭✭Neil3030

Well it's safe to assume DSB has a few on him anyway! :D

I think the problem here is failure to achieve realistic possibilities. Yes, MON has done a great job at cutting the deadwood from the team he took over, he progressed the club from bottom half to to consecutive top six places, uncovered some outstanding talent in Young, oversaw Barry and Laursen hit the top of their games and so on and so forth, nobody is denying that.

On the other hand, meanwhile, there's obviously no point in criticising MON for not getting us straight into the Champion's League in his first season, or spending £400m of Randy's money in one window ruthlessly hoovering up the components of a West-Midland Gallactico unit. Anyone who bemoans that we didn't take that route, to that status, in that timeframe, with those methods is an idiot.

The thing that grates on most objectively grounded fans' nerves is how close we were in January, had we have made the choice additions to our squad that were glaringly needed, to make a really probably push at a Champion's League space.

Unidimensional tactics, players being played out of position, always fielding the same 11 regardless of form - these are points of lesser contention (all but Helix turned a blind eye while the results were going our way, for example).

Further still down the list of priorities is the speed, secrecy and wimpish manner in which MON conducts his transfer dealings, where it would appear he's more concerned about not pissing off his chairman's banker or rival managers, than he is with pleasing the players and fans with choice, toughly fought for acquisitions.

But you add all of these quarms up and the picture starts getting painted of the realistic potential that currently is not being met at the club.

It is realistic that, at the moment, we should have a squad of at least 20 players capable of getting a game for the first team and not have their presence significantly present a weakness to opposition - that's not the case.

It is realistic that we should have full-backs backing up full-backs, not midfielders or centre halves - that's not the case.

It is realistic that, in the face of the absolute capitulation we displayed from Feb-Mar, compounded by then losing Barry and Laursen, our manager should have been ready with his homework done on who he needed, so he could have gone out and quickly brought in adequate replacements not only to blood them in as early as possible, but to restore fan confidence and boost morale about the club - that was not the case.

It is realistic that we should be at least linked with making a punt for the likes of Huntelar or Tevez when they became available, regardless of how inevitable the case may be that they will end up at another club - that was not the case. And don't spout that usual rubbish about 'MON keeping things secret, we don't know who he went after.' As Helix said some time back, as much as they'd like to keep things on the QT around B6, the press are generally wise to who we're after.

It is realistic that a player like Brede Haangeland should want to leave Fulham to join us, should we present an interest – is this the case?

It is realistic that players of Marlon Harewood, Mustapha Salifou or Zat Knight's quality should be in a different postcode to our first team - that is not the case.

There's more to be added to that list, and surely there'll be the usually pedantic gripe with a point or two I raise here (it really bugs me when you put time into getting your thoughts laid out in a post, just for some snot to quote only one sentence that might be refutable and ignore the rest).

But hopefully you get my point. It's not what MON has or neccessarily hasn't done, it's what realistically he should have done by now that is letting the safety status of his job get increasingly less stable and getting the backs up a lot of fans.

So to the next person who comes back with the usual "ah sure things take time" or "sure look at the state of the place when he took over" retorts to criticism of MON, hopefully this clears up how irrelevant those points are.

Again, I stress for the record, I really like MON as person and I badly want him to succeed in achieving great things with Aston Villa, but the above speaks for itself in volumes.

like the last 3 unfortunately

just not enough different for me to buy it after the last 2 being almost identical

its a pity coz im a sucker for new jersey

Oh we'll see Helix, often as a stingy mofo myself i have said i'll never buy the new Villa shirt but low and behold i do. Plus i've seen the away shirt for sale in Cork, its been sometimes tough to get Villa shirts here over the years, i feel obliged to purchase now its there.

• Advertisement

Neil3030 wrote: »

I think the problem here is failure to achieve realistic possibilities. Yes, MON has done a great job at cutting the deadwood from the team he took over, he progressed the club from bottom half to to consecutive top six places, uncovered some outstanding talent in Young, oversaw Barry and Laursen hit the top of their games and so on and so forth, nobody is denying that.

On the other hand, meanwhile, there's obviously no point in criticising MON for not getting us straight into the Champion's League in his first season, or spending £400m of Randy's money in one window ruthlessly hoovering up the components of a West-Midland Gallactico unit. Anyone who bemoans that we didn't take that route, to that status, in that timeframe, with those methods is an idiot.

The thing that grates on most objectively grounded fans' nerves is how close we were in January, had we have made the choice additions to our squad that were glaringly needed, to make a really probably push at a Champion's League space.

Unidimensional tactics, players being played out of position, always fielding the same 11 regardless of form - these are points of lesser contention (all but Helix turned a blind eye while the results were going our way, for example).

Further still down the list of priorities is the speed, secrecy and wimpish manner in which MON conducts his transfer dealings, where it would appear he's more concerned about not pissing off his chairman's banker or rival managers, than he is with pleasing the players and fans with choice, toughly fought for acquisitions.

But you add all of these quarms up and the picture starts getting painted of the realistic potential that currently is not being met at the club.

It is realistic that, at the moment, we should have a squad of at least 20 players capable of getting a game for the first team and not have their presence significantly present a weakness to opposition - that's not the case.

It is realistic that we should have full-backs backing up full-backs, not midfielders or centre halves - that's not the case.

It is realistic that, in the face of the absolute capitulation we displayed from Feb-Mar, compounded by then losing Barry and Laursen, our manager should have been ready with his homework done on who he needed, so he could have gone out and quickly brought in adequate replacements not only to blood them in as early as possible, but to restore fan confidence and boost morale about the club - that was not the case.

It is realistic that we should be at least linked with making a punt for the likes of Huntelar or Tevez when they became available, regardless of how inevitable the case may be that they will end up at another club - that was not the case. And don't spout that usual rubbish about 'MON keeping things secret, we don't know who he went after.' As Helix said some time back, as much as they'd like to keep things on the QT around B6, the press are generally wise to who we're after.

It is realistic that a player like Brede Haangeland should want to leave Fulham to join us, should we present an interest – is this the case?

It is realistic that players of Marlon Harewood, Mustapha Salifou or Zat Knight's quality should be in a different postcode to our first team - that is not the case.

There's more to be added to that list, and surely there'll be the usually pedantic gripe with a point or two I raise here (it really bugs me when you put time into getting your thoughts laid out in a post, just for some snot to quote only one sentence that might be refutable and ignore the rest).

But hopefully you get my point. It's not what MON has or neccessarily hasn't done, it's what realistically he should have done by now that is letting the safety status of his job get increasingly less stable and getting the backs up a lot of fans.

So to the next person who comes back with the usual "ah sure things take time" or "sure look at the state of the place when he took over" retorts to criticism of MON, hopefully this clears up how irrelevant those points are.

Again, I stress for the record, I really like MON as person and I badly want him to succeed in achieving great things with Aston Villa, but the above speaks for itself in volumes.

I would think despite the fact that as you mention not all people share that view I would think everyone understands where your comming from the only thing is (the bit i bolded) that when things were going well I for one (and im sure there were others) didnt turn a blind eye to our negative points when we had our good run. Infact i would think most agreed with Helix (and even said so in posts) about what Villa were doing wrong although wanting not to come off as o so negative mostly posted about how good things were and how they could get even better if we did x, y and z.

Thats the thing with a lot of these MON debates (non heated, gotta say its always banter and not argueing in here, fair play lads) that take place on here the people who perhaps come off as pro MON or whatever do agree with the mans has faults, its just as people who like to look to the positives we dont always focus on them in our posts however that doesent mean we dont agree with what you say in most cases.

edit: good post btw and despite bolding one bit the reason ive quoted it is that a post like that that you obviously spent time on should not be at the bottom of a page and maybe not get read (although now that i think about it not everyone may have 20 posts per page)

nice to quote an Irish article for a change

SOCCER NEWS ROUND-UP: MARTIN O’NEILL last night moved to end the speculation surrounding Ashley Young’s future by insisting that not even a €58 million bid would prise the England international from Aston Villa this summer.

Young has been linked with moves to Tottenham Hotspur, Chelsea, Liverpool and Barcelona, but O’Neill believes that the 24-year-old could not be at a better club for his development and claimed that Randy Lerner, the Villa chairman, would not countenance selling the winger.

“There are loads of teams that would want Ashley Young, top continental sides that would want him,” said O’Neill, whose side take on Malaga in the Peace Cup tonight. “And Ashley Young, with a bit of luck, has a fantastic future ahead of him. But he’s absolutely at the right club at this moment.

“Since he’s joined us he’s been one of the major reasons we’ve finished in the position we have done the last couple of seasons. But I couldn’t be more strong on this. He’s not going anywhere. And the teams that I’ve noticed that have been linked with him couldn’t buy him.

“If somebody came in with £30 million, £40m or £50m? I wouldn’t do it. I’m not in overall charge obviously and it would be up to Randy but the last time I spoke to Randy he wasn’t entertaining anything at any price.”

Zlatan Ibrahimovic has agreed personal terms with Barcelona as he edges ever closer to joining the European champions from Inter Milan.

Barca had previously had an offer of €45 million and Samuel Eto’o in exchange for the Sweden striker accepted by Inter but it was feared the deal could collapse over the players’ respective wage demands.

Barca midfielder Alexander Hleb is also due to join Inter on loan, although he today cast doubt on his part of the deal.

Eto’o successfully concluded negotiations with Inter yesterday and now Ibrahimovic has followed suit after flying to Europe from the United States, where Jose Mourinho’s side are currently on tour.

Barca sporting director Txiki Begiristain told Barca TV: “We have a principle agreement with the player and with Inter and the relevant documentation is now being prepared.”

Good post alright Neil, I've tried to take leave of the whole MON thing for now as no matter how loud and damming the chorus can be.

Really i'm just looking forward to season getting under way starting with Villa game tomorrow night which i can't wait for. Results as always will dictate MONs faith at VP simple as. We can't change or influence the clubs transfer policy, so best enjoy the holidays as its gonna be a long season if our worst fears are realised(for me its that the defence will be even more leaky then last year, if there's one thing a Villa team should have its a steady hand at the back. Luke Young is the best in the current backline by default, here's hoping on Bouma).

On a lighter note i'm amused at that guy from that soap phil kemp interviewng a gangster wearing an Angel Villa shirt.

Oh we'll see Helix, often as a stingy mofo myself i have said i'll never buy the new Villa shirt but low and behold i do. Plus i've seen the away shirt for sale in Cork, its been sometimes tough to get Villa shirts here over the years, i feel obliged to purchase now its there.

the away one is lovely, no qualms about that purchase at all

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,518 ✭✭✭matrim

Alot of speculation this morning saying that Knight has completed his £3.5m move to Bolton

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,323 ✭✭✭Savman

Knight gone :eek:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 845 ✭✭✭V1llianous

It's on the official site now -> http://www.avfc.premiumtv.co.uk/page/News/0,,10265~1733135,00.html

I thought it might be part of an exchange to bring Cahill back but no news.

Gotta seriously hope MON has a couple of defenders already lined up now :o

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,518 ✭✭✭matrim

Hopefully this means that a deal for bringing in a defender is almost done.

I dunno why MON always has to let a player leave before signing a replacement. Im glad he's gone, he's a disaster waiting to happen but fair play to him for his attitude and commitment, he's a Villa fan and ill say thanks and good luck to him.

Neil3030 wrote: »

Hahaha would you believe I don't even drink?

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement