Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Aston Villa Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,246 ✭✭✭Esse85

A recent quote from MON

"I would be hoping for everyone that goes out that we would be having at least somebody else coming back in again.

"Don't hold me to this, but I really probably wouldn't want to be losing players until we get some in.

"Do I want to end the window with bigger squad than last year? Without doubt."

He's a hard man to take seriously.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,154 ✭✭✭✭Neil3030

Guess Zat isn't happy being 4th choice then, oh well.

In other news, it's about time he came out and said something:
    By Paul Brown

Ashley Young is hoping to start tonight's opening Peace Cup clash with Malaga - as he revealed his "happiness" at playing for Villa.

Young was handed an extended hiatus after international matches kept the wing wizard playing competitive football very late into the summer.

But he insisted he was ready for a return against Malaga this evening (KO 9.30pm BST).

He also spelt out his desire to do great things at Villa in the coming years, having seen his name linked with a host of clubs over the summer.

He said: "If you look at when I first came I set myself a lot of goals. I've achieved some of them - like getting into the England team, winning Player of the Month awards and being named the PFA Young Player of the Year.

"There are still things that I want to achieve here. The club's on a high - on the way up - and hopefully so am I, so I'm happy here."

"Fingers crossed I'll be playing tonight - but the gaffer hasn't said anything yet. I might have only just come back for pre-season training but I'm a player who wants to play every game.

"But it's up to the gaffer. If he thinks it's too soon and I don't play I'll just have to keep myself fit for the next game."

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,249 ✭✭✭✭Kinetic^

£3.5m! Suckers! Thank god he's gone.

Anything rumour wise on who's coming in?

Downing out till December, christ! :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,951 ✭✭✭DSB

Kinetic^ wrote: »
    £3.5m! Suckers! Thank god he's gone.

Anything rumour wise on who's coming in?

Downing out till December, christ! :(

Probably nobody. Or maybe Routledge will be re-signed.

Anyone looking for a Saturday afternoon chuckle, look at these quotes from a Bolton Wanderers forum I found:
    Knights is a good signing, means a decent partner to Cahill
    Knight (quality and as good as we're likley to attract) and I think Davis (though I can't actually recall any of his performances) are improvements
    Knight is a good signing - much more the standard of player would should be signing
    I think Knight is a big improvement
    i think Knight will help our defense and maybe chip in with a few headers
    Knight is here and i for one am happy we got him

R
    O
    F
    L
    :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,924 ✭✭✭shoutman

Thanks for the good times Mr Knight, you're time at Villa was memorable....

Well good goal on his debut anyway.....

I also think that the Bolton fans are being realistic, Knight is a Premiership player, just more a lower half of the table standard....

Ah bless them!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,213 ✭✭✭✭therecklessone

shoutman wrote: »
    I also think that the Bolton fans are being realistic, Knight is a Premiership player, just more a lower half of the table standard....

Nail on head there.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,879 Mod ✭✭✭✭Bounty Hunter

Nail on head there.

I hope Villa sign 2 CBs now but I wouldent be surprised if we just got one and Ciaran Clark becomes our 4th choice CB. I honestly dont see someone better than Knight being happy to be 4th choice CB and sit on the bench all season so even if we do sign two decent CBs to replace Knight/Laursen one would probably need to be a versatile one who can also play/cover RB for example like Micah Richards or Corluka.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,349 ✭✭✭Samurai

reckon we could take gary cahill back? :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,213 ✭✭✭✭therecklessone

even if we do sign two decent CBs to replace Knight/Laursen one would probably need to be a versatile one who can also play/cover RB for example like Micah Richards or Corluka.

Corluka will not be sold this window, despite the arrival of Naughton and Walker from the Blades.

Walker has gone back to Sheffield for a season long loan, and Naughton may well feature early on if King, Woodgate and Dawson all fail to recover from their various ailments for the start of the season, as Corluka will be required for CB cover for us.

Hutton and more likely Chimbonda will leave.

Seemingly Knight flew to Malaga, flew straight back, sorted terms and then flew over to Holland to join up with Bolton.

At 6"6 I hope they stumped up for first class tickets for the chap.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,492 ✭✭✭MementoMori

Villa's Transfer Dealings so far this window.

Out
    Barry £12m
    Laursen retired
    Knight £3.5m
    Taylor Free

In
    Downing £12m

So four players out and the one who is arriving in is targeting early December for his return. MON's doing a great job on cutting down on Villa's massively oversized squad.
    Downing ruled out until December

Aston Villa winger Stewart Downing has admitted he is unlikely to make an appearance for his new club before early December.

Downing, 25, fractured his foot playing for Middlesbrough against Villa in May but had hoped to return in October.

However, after completing a £12m move to Villa Park it has emerged he needs a further two months to be fully fit.

"I've had to have it pinned and that should come out in September. Then it's a case of building it up," he said.

Once fit, Downing will have an eye on regaining a place in the England set-up ahead of the 2010 World Cup in South Africa, Fabio Capello's squad having all-but secured qualification.

"I'm sure I will play before Christmas. The manager [Martin O'Neill] wants me 100% right and is prepared to give me extra time to do it," Downing added.

"The injury is a bit of a strange one. It's not a break but there's a fracture there.

"The target is early December. If I'm ready before then that's a bonus. If it's after it just needs time to heal."

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport2/hi/football/teams/a/aston_villa/8167226.stm

Villa's Transfer Dealings so far this window.

Out
    Barry £12m
    Laursen retired
    Knight £3.5m
    Taylor Free

In
    Downing £12m

So four players out and the one who is arriving in is targeting early December for his return. MON's doing a great job on cutting down on Villa's massively oversized squad.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport2/hi/football/teams/a/aston_villa/8167226.stm

Thanks for the update man. I guess you heard about that virus that all Villa fans have caught that has obliterated our short term memories. Keep us posted, yeah?

We're good at cynicism are we....

Micah Richards would be quality, but can never see that happening... also wouldn't want Cahill back but that said he would be better then no one.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 17,661 ✭✭✭✭Helix

matrim wrote: »
    Hopefully this means that a deal for bringing in a defender is almost done.

we need 2 now

shoutman wrote: »
    Micah Richards would be quality.

hes absolutely awful

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,951 ✭✭✭✭Villain

Sad to see Knight go a true Villa fan and always gave his all, I'm sure MON wouldn't have sold him unless he has some defenders coming in and most Villa fans accepted that Knight wasn't good enough for Villa's first team so they can't complain he's gone now, lets wait and see who comes in

Helix wrote: »
    hes absolutely awful

id be happy with him signed as 1 of 2 defensive signings though (assuming Bouma is okay and we dont need more) as he is capable of playing RB & CB and is still really young and can improve, at 21 he has already played 100 games for city and 11 for the full England side aswell as being originally from Birmingham. I wouldent call him awfull although yes a lot lot more was expected from him when in 06 he became the youngest defender ever called into an England squad.

Richards is exactly the type of player that MON would get in and make better....

• Advertisement

I wouldent call him awful

ask a city fan

they hate to see him on the team sheet

ideally id like to see 2 from upson, dunne and turner brought in

Cahill wont come back because he wont be assured of 1st team action, although he's probably better than what we have at present.

We're really in a shocking situation at present, MON has just heaped more pressure on himself by offloading Knight.

ask a city fan

they hate to see him on the team sheet

well id like someone who could also cover RB and having only turned 21 a month ago the negative aspects of his game could still be ironed out whilst even Man City fans would admit he has the potential to become a great player.

ideally id like to see 2 from upson, dunne and turner brought in

do you really see any of them or Villas current 2 CBs willing to be 4th choice CB?

I would however really like one of those players and someone who like Richards/Mancienne who could maybe cover RB and CB while still being young enough to improve and possibly replace the above or Cuellar as Davies eventual partner.

i dont think turner would have any problem being a backup player initially

Keep in mind everyone that with the League, domestic cups and Europa league next year the '4th choice' CB is going to have a whole new job specification. There's every liklihood they'll see between 5 and 10 quality starts and that's before injuries come into play.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,349 ✭✭✭Samurai

Neil3030 wrote: »
    Keep in mind everyone that with the League, domestic cups and Europa league next year the '4th choice' CB is going to have a whole new job specification. There's every liklihood they'll see between 5 and 10 quality starts and that's before injuries come into play.

not sure about that, despite MONs talk of bolstering the squad he never seems to have a rotation policy unless theres injuries/we're playing someone ****

its alright lads

the sun said we signed mike cornish from burton albion for £250,000

defensive problems solved

Mysteryman is supposed to be considerd the most reliable ITK from Villatalk and ive just seen him posting the following:
    Just had the news I have been waiting for was away a week back today . Not winding people up but very near now to 3 players wish I could say it will be Monday but its close two defenders ( Distin one of them ) and a midfield player who isn't cheap !

Can't break the confidence BUT source is good !
    I understand that Delph deal is being held up because Delfounso won't go the other way on loan .

Last thing I will say is we haven't been linked with one of them so far and I think he could be in before Distin but thats purely my guess.

food for thought

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,518 ✭✭✭matrim

Last thing I will say is we haven't been linked with one of them so far

That would be a surprise. We've been linked with half the midfielders in Europe at this state

That would be a surprise. We've been linked with half the midfielders in Europe at this state

well from what hes said that could be the 2nd defender also but more than likely its the midfielder if there is anything in it
    Mysteryman wrote:
    Its very difficult to say 100 percent with things but for instance we went to watch the ajex centre back and came back more impressed with the left midfielder who takes their free kicks . I expected they would go for him then heard nowt and then this pm get told about one completely out of the air and its as good as done .

I wish I could say 100 percent but the fkin thing changes because agents / clubs start to move the goal posts . Distin I am as confident as I can be and one of the foreigners coming out of the 2 .

I won't pretend they are awe inspiring signings as I only expect two out of the 5/6 to make us sit up . We are trying to bring in quality and move on the unhappy deadwood on . Knight won't be the last !
    Not Campbell last thing I heard there was no interest in him .

• Advertisement

Mysteryman is supposed to be considerd the most reliable ITK from Villatalk

aye hes on the ball id say 75% of the time, which is a pretty good success rate

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,518 ✭✭✭matrim

Just read through the thread on VT there and is it just me or does one of them seem like it might be a right back by the Delaney comment

Just read through the thread on VT there and is it just me or does one of them seem like it might be a right back by the Delaney comment

=
    Mysterman wrote:
    Honestly 1 decent 1 not sure I pure gamble but could work out a bit like Delaney

guessing the gamble might be a lower league RB as cover for Luke Young myself.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,299 ✭✭✭villains77

its alright lads

the sun said we signed mike cornish from burton albion for £250,000

defensive problems solved[/quote

never heard of him any good if the sun wrote it it prob a laod of bull

hes just a young lad, we also signed a 12 year old

=

guessing the gamble might be a lower league RB as cover for Luke Young myself.

joe ledley perhaps, as suggested on vt. with teh cardiff connection and all

joe ledley perhaps, as suggested on vt. with teh cardiff connection and all

well he did say one we havent been linked to, hes welsh and the cardiff connection as you say so maybe he would be the one midfielder mentioned but isnt he more left sided than central and with Young/Downing umm not exactley needed

what time is the malaga game kicking off.

villains77 wrote: »
    what time is the malaga game kicking off.

10.30 our time iirc

• Advertisement

i could be wrong but my info came from the official site
    Malaga v Villa - live audio commentary - KO 10.30pm.

10.30 spanish time afaik

*edit*

confirmed by the peace cup website as 8.30 spanish time

http://www.goal.com/en/scores/group-results/190/peace-cup-2009

im oh so confused now

either way i think its 9.30 here lol

u sure bout the times aint france and spain an hr ahead of us so 9.30 there would be 8.30 over here

jsut googled, spain are an hour ahead

20.30 kick off there is 21.30 here, so yeh half 9

its on in murrays in town, or youll get streams online coz its getting shown on gol

any body going in for it

• Advertisement

actually only just noticed now that MM responded to someone suggesting Joe Ledley with the simple one word response "no"

jsut googled, spain are an hour ahead

20.30 kick off there is 21.30 here, so yeh half 9

its on in murrays in town, or youll get streams online coz its getting shown on gol

Are you sure?

Esse85 wrote: »
    Are you sure?
    no lol

http://www.livescore.com/default.dll?page=home

livescore seems to think 10.30 local time in spain

its quite confusing actually

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,792 ✭✭✭✭JPA

Jaysus lads.
    The match is on at half 9. Half 10 spain time.
    Spain are 1 hour ahead. It's not hard. :D

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement