Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Aston Villa Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,792 ✭✭✭✭JPA

That Joe Cole link is so ridiculous.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,323 ✭✭✭Savman

Joe Cole is top class, I'd be a huge fan of his. However, I can't see him wanting to take what is quite obviously a step down from CL & PL challenging footy. One is assuming Deco is gonna keep Cole out of the Chelsea team, that's a helluva assumption to make considering Deco has no PL experience (compared to a proven talent like Cole) and also that Deco is a moody swine.

SWP will have to suffice :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,154 ✭✭✭✭Neil3030

I'm not a hugely pickey man, SWP or Cole will do fine imo.

*Too bad one's going to pompey the other is a totally b.s. rumour...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,535 ✭✭✭Raekwon

JPA wrote:
    That Joe Cole link is so ridiculous.[\QUOTE]

I agree, I lol when I read it :D But then again £17.5m could really test Chelsea's resolve (if it was actually true of course) and I think Cole is the sort of play maker that Villa have needed ever since Merson left all those years ago. It's extremely unlikely but not impossible (eternal optimist :P).

I'm just happy we're getting linked with decent players for a change, not cast offs from teams either on the same page or slightly below us. So even if it is B.S. it shows the media now holds us in a higher regard. I know in the bigger picture it means nothing, as MON will sign the players he wants regardless of what the papers or fans say.

I dunno... it's like finding out your bird's hot mate fancies you or something. Nothing will or should come of it, but it's a decent shot of confidence!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,951 ✭✭✭✭Villain

Looks like Robinho to Chelsea isn't going to happen so SWP might be staying put, its hard to think of any Premier League Midfielder that could give us the class we need but could be bought or would even want to come to Villa park, I think MON might have top step outside the PL for next buy or two although I think Santa Cruz could be worth a shot.

Neil3030 wrote: »
    I dunno... it's like finding out your bird's hot mate fancies you or something. Nothing will or should come of it, but it's a decent shot of confidence!

Very eloquently put Neil :cool:

Btw Elvery Sports have €20 off all footie jerseys until Wednesday the 13th, I picked up the new Villa home top for €39.99. Nice deal!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,452 ✭✭✭Time Magazine

I'm waiting for the Away shirt to come out, even if it's €20 more expensive. I must say it looks class.

Also Ryanair are doing a lot of flights for €20 return at the moment, €30 if you include the booking charge. I have my flights for Sunderland (September 27) and Portsmouth (October 18) got. Watch out for the dates that might clash for when we qualify for UEFA Cup proper :)

..and my long-suffering buddy has just agreed to attend the West Brom game. That should be fun :D

Raekwon wrote: »
    Elvery Sports[/URL] have €20 off all footie jerseys until Wednesday the 13th, I picked up the new Villa home top for €39.99. Nice deal!

Bastid, I paid STG£40 for my shirt! Though purchasing from the official AVFC Shop on New Street in Brum was nice, got a little goodie bag thing.

Carlos Cuellar being tipped all over the place as a target for MON. 26, Spanish, 6"3, Clydesdale Bank SPL Player of the Year and Scottish Football Writers Associations Player of the Year last year in his debut season in SPL. 4 goals in 36 games is pretty darn decent for a centre-half too.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,420 ✭✭✭Doodee

Antithetic wrote: »
    I have my flights for Sunderland (September 27) and Portsmouth (October 18) got.

Where do you get your tickets from?

Sunderland match would be a great pressie for my Dads birthday, but only thing s available on Seatexchange are Box's that are waaaaay out of my price range :/

Lads, speaking from experience here, be very careful booking flights before you know for sure a game won't be moved or rescheduled. This happened me twice last season as some of you may remember, and on both occasions I had already bought and paid for my match tickets from the AVFC online ticket store. The club still went ahead and moved the games after allowing tickets to be released.

If you're booking flights before match tickets even go on sale, I think you may need to see some head doctors soon...:eek:

Like a fly to $h1t:
    Martin O'Neill preparing bid for Joe Cole

Aug 11 2008 By Nick Davis

MARTIN O’Neill is ready to smash Villa’s transfer record as he plots the most ambitious move of his Villa reign this week.

Chelsea’s England playmaker Joe Cole is the man in the frame to become Villa’s most exciting new arrival since Paul Merson and Stan Collymore arrived in the late 1990s.

Cole would cost in the region of £15million but that tag will not frighten off Villa owner Randy Lerner, who is bankrolling his manager’s efforts to build on last season’s sixth-place finish.

And the spending will not stop there with O’Neill still in the market for a striker and more defensive cover.

The manager made clear his intention to carry on spending last week as he swooped for full-backs Nicky Shorey and Luke Young.

And Cole has emerged as the No.1 target as Villa bid to add even more attacking guile to a side that scored 71 Premier League goals last season.

Chelsea fans named Cole their player of the year last season and recent reports suggested he was set for a bumper pay rise and a new five-year deal.

But with Deco already drafted in this summer, the 26-year-old could find himself out in the cold if new boss Phil Scolari can persuade Real Madrid to part with Robinho.

O’Neill is preparing for two massive games this week with the UEFA Cup trip to Iceland followed by Sunday’s league opener against Manchester City.

But he will not take his eye off the transfer market and Lerner is ready to continue backing his manager’s judgment.

Villa have missed out on Tottenham defender Younes Kaboul, who should join Portsmouth later today. But Rangers defender Carlos Cuellar has emerged as an alternative target.

Any signings made this week would be unlikely to feature in the UEFA Cup second qualifying-round clash with FH Hafnarfjordur.

Under UEFA rules clubs had to register players for the second qualifying round by midnight on August 4. Clubs can add just one player to their squad after the deadline.

That man is likely to be Shorey as O’Neill has no real alternative to play at left back against the Icelandic minnows.

Young and any other new signings will then have to wait for the first round of the UEFA Cup to feature in Europe – assuming Villa can overcome FH Hafnarfjordur.

If they are successful over two legs they then have until midnight on September 1 to register players for the remainder of the competition.

I trust Nick Davis is a pseudonym for Bill Howell, for those scarce moments in the man's life when he knows he's talking utter bullplop.

Not a hope in signing Joe Cole, although I do think he might help the Barry saga as it would be hard to see Liverpool not trying to sign Cole if he is available.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,246 ✭✭✭Esse85

Looks like Kaboul to Pompey is a done deal, i cant say ill be too saddened that we dont sign him.

Any updates on the del la red rumour?

Esse85 wrote: »
    Looks like Kaboul to Pompey is a done deal, i cant say ill be too saddened that we dont sign him.

Any updates on the del la red rumour?

None. Damian is waiting to hear from his source on AVFCBlog.

Villain wrote: »
    Not a hope in signing Joe Cole, although I do think he might help the Barry saga as it would be hard to see Liverpool not trying to sign Cole if he is available.

Indeed. Ideal signing for them really. Adds width to their attack and favours playing on the left. He'd actually be such a good signing for Pool I couldn't imagine Chelsea ever sanctioning it.

None. Damian is waiting to hear from his source on AVFCBlog
    I'd say he will be waiting!

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,879 Mod ✭✭✭✭Bounty Hunter

De La Red rumour is probably bullplop, though if not I wouldent imagine there would be any movement on that unless there is movement in the Barry saga as id imagine he is the player designated as a Barry replacement. Joe Cole rumour really has to be bollocks would be the perfect signing for Villa otherwise

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,246 ✭✭✭Esse85

Id imagine Mourinho at Inter would be very interested if J.Cole was available. As already said, he'd be a great signing for Liverpool. I think if we could get SWP then id be more than happy with this addition to fill the RM slot.

If GB stays for now, i still think he may well leave in Jan, so i think any potential replacement should be brought in this transfer window to help acclimatise them with the club, especially if they have no EPL experience.

Fee agreed for Cuellar...wasn't expecting this one at all.
    http://www.avfc.premiumtv.co.uk/page/NewsDetail/0,,10265~1363790,00.html

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,013 ✭✭✭✭eirebhoy

£7.8m = €10m. Apparently the release clause in his contract.

• Registered Users Posts: 484 ✭✭happydayz182

do villa really need a centre half?

A mighty Martin Laursen, a half fit Curtis Davies and an inconsistent Zat Knight, what do you think?

• Registered Users Posts: 484 ✭✭happydayz182

yes they do:D

Cuellar is much better prospect then Kaboul imo aswell

• Advertisement

wow didnt expect that so quick, he really must have just said thats it im off the second Rangers lost last week

Where'a all those people slagging off MON for not signing players now?

My sentiments exactly. Although, I believe Mssr Helix is on an enforced vacation :pac:

We're a couple of players away from having a very strong squad, a Cole or SWP-esque would be the icing on the cake IMHO.

• Registered Users Posts: 231 ✭✭DarenO

Excellent signing once its done and dusted, given the fact we are in Europe we'll need all positions covered so we can introduce a bit of rotation, not too many more players needed for us to become a real force amongst the second tier of the PL and also to be hunting down the 'pool for that coveted 4th spot.

Can't wait for the season to start and to see how well we do, about to get my tickets for Man U v Villa and a few more home games planned

Darren

Doodee wrote: »
    Where do you get your tickets from?

Sunderland match would be a great pressie for my Dads birthday, but only thing s available on Seatexchange are Box's that are waaaaay out of my price range :/
    The official site. Once you have a booking history and it's not a game against the big 4/Brum it's easy enough to get tickets if you buy them the day they go on general release. Plus, we all have Helix's season ticket scheme to fall back on :D
    Savman wrote: »
    Fee agreed for Cuellar...wasn't expecting this one at all.
    http://www.avfc.premiumtv.co.uk/page/NewsDetail/0,,10265~1363790,00.html
    Wow.
    I guess MON has decided Zat no longer cuts it? I look forward to the competition between Cuellar, Laursen and Davies. Two of those, our new full-backs and Friedel. And that's with an injured Freddie Bouma. I feel a little guilty for doubting you MON :eek: :).
    Savman wrote: »
    Lads, speaking from experience here, be very careful booking flights before you know for sure a game won't be moved or rescheduled. This happened me twice last season as some of you may remember, and on both occasions I had already bought and paid for my match tickets from the AVFC online ticket store. The club still went ahead and moved the games after allowing tickets to be released.

If you're booking flights before match tickets even go on sale, I think you may need to see some head doctors soon...:eek:
    At €30 all in, I'll take the risk. Even if half the games I buy flights for get cancelled, that's still only €60 flights per game. Which I was happy to pay last season. And as I say, I'll take my chances that less than half will get changed.

Especially as I specifically booked dates around the Uefa Cup's games to minimise the chance of cancellation.

• Advertisement

wonder will he be a starter, Laursen has to really and I had really expected Davies to have a big year this year. atleast competiton is very much so a good thing and our defense is sorted. although obviously a backup RB would be nice

The Sun rag is reporting that he spoke with Spurs and Liverpool but Villa made the highest bid! Most likely bull

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,224 ✭✭✭✭SantryRed

wow didnt expect that so quick, he really must have just said thats it im off the second Rangers lost last week

To be honest, he was probably told he's off. To make up some lost revenue.

I'd say MON is thinking it would be an miracle for Laursen to get thru a 60 game schedule, yes he was consistent last year but you always fear he might be one game away from a relapse.

Bearing in mind Davies is still on the road to recovery, I think it's a very wise move having the 4 available. Hats off to the wee one.

Eirebear as the boards resident Rangers fan if your reading this, whats your opinion? will he adapt to the Prem? should he start ahead of Cutis Davies/Laursen?

now for a creative RM and Gabby competition and the summer is done

Nice work by MON tightening up the defence this off-season. Very, very nice work. His net spend must be close to 30m now, is it? (Including Davies)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,951 ✭✭✭DSB

Words eaten, and oh god do these ones taste great. Amazing stuff.

now for a creative RM
    The number 8 shirt is still available. If we're willing to spend £8m on a third CB, what are we willing to spend on a MR? Long live MON and Randy Lerner :pac:
    and Gabby competition and the summer is done
    There's no great rush for Gabby competition. Window doesn't close until August 31 and we can go three games without competition. Plus I think everyone would like Fonzy to get a chance.

And also on the issue of a Villa forum, as I thought might happen, the lads that I sometimes watch Villa matches with are looking for a new home.

"I came to Rangers due to the professional manner of their officials and management and their promise of success," Cuellar told the Scottish club's official website.

"Everything I had been told about this fantastic club has been true and last year's Uefa Cup run is something I will never forget.

"My ambition has always been to play for my national team and I believe that playing in the biggest league in the world for Aston Villa will help me realise that."

MON seems to have gone abit transfer crazy lately...............long may it continue :D

What are the chances of use getting a right/central midfielder and striker before the window slams shut?

UP THE VILLA!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,617 ✭✭✭✭PHB

Entirely new defence, great stuff from Villa. No idea to be honest about this new guy, but I'd trust MON's judgement.

Right Winger is now the key for Villa no doubt.

• Registered Users Posts: 857 ✭✭✭wynters

Another 'perk' of this transfer is that he's Spanish...

'Might make it easier for a certain Senor De la Red to settle if that Damien dude on the AVFC blog is to be believed....! :) Clubs often sign two players of the same nationality to help smoothen the initial settling-in period. Look at Spurs now even with Modric and Corluka?

A pre-cursor to an even bigger signing perhaps?????

Anyone think the bhoy in MON couldn't help but poach the hun's best player from them? :pac:

I'll be watching for MON's next interview very eagerly now. For my money, assuming Barry stays, he's done a stellar job and the improvement on last year is huge. I posted ages ago how important strengthening the d was and we actually have strength in depth at every position except RB, where surely Gardner can provide cover.

So why look for his next interview? Well imo he could probably come out and say now that he's finished spending, if he has, with no fear of backlash. So should he chose to come out and say that he's not finished.... oh boy!

GK: Friedel, Guzan
    RB: Young, Gardner
    CB: Laursen, Knight
    CB: Cuéllar, Davies
    LB: Shorey, Bouma
    MR: Petrov, Routledge, Number 8?
    MC: Barry, Sidwell
    MC: Reo-Coker, Osbourne
    ML: Young, Maloney
    SC: Carew, Harewood
    SC: Gabby, Delfouneso

Others: Taylor, O'Halloran, Zidane.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,391 ✭✭✭One Cold Hand

Right here! Obviously I'm delighted with all these signings. But I was right when I criticised him at the time too. I hadn't condemned him, I was just being critical.

But fair play to O'Neill, he's starting to prove his doubter wrong. The defence is definately sorted now, and if we can sign a few attacking players, we'll be looking very good. If fairness to him to, he did it the right way around also, defense was the weak point last year and he's sorted that out first. Kudos Martin.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,391 ✭✭✭One Cold Hand

Antithetic wrote: »
    MR: Petrov, Routledge, Number 8?

Petrovs been pretty ineffective any time he's played on the right imo. I'd see our two MR's at the minute as Routledge and Salifou.

Fair play to the naysayers chipping in, O'Neill took his time but I don't think there can be any doubts about his intentions in the transfer market now. That's pretty much a brand new backline, reinforced by a top level keeper.

But feck it, I'm gonna be greedy and wait for a couple more bodies...one or two head turners :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,983 ✭✭✭leninbenjamin

some very interesting signings for MON. a few more reinforcements on the wings and perhaps another striker and Villa could well be pushing for a CL spot. ye're 3 players away from it imo.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,617 ✭✭✭✭PHB

Surely the first choice will be Sidwell and Barry if he stays?

• Advertisement

Petrovs been pretty ineffective any time he's played on the right imo. I'd see our two MR's at the minute as Routledge and Salifou.
    Yep but Petrov played MR (badly) a lot last season and I'm also kind of getting at the diamond formation we played towards the end of that season. In that formation, NRC was MR and Petrov was DMC. But I don't think we'll play that again, especially if we get a new winger, so I put NRC as the MC. He's more likely to partner Barry/Sidwell there than Petrov.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement