Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Aston Villa Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,661 ✭✭✭✭Helix

orourkeda wrote: »
    Absolutely. The squad needs to be strengthened. Thats clear. I just think he needs to keep a sense of perspective

and if it doesnt happen? will you still blindly defend mon to the hilt? "oh he'll get it right in january"

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,246 ✭✭✭Esse85

Lets say a manager improves a team for 3 consecutive seasons and fans are complaining before the fourth season starts what do you say
    You make it sound like its black or white.

The circumstances of each season need to be taken into account.

Esse85 wrote: »
    You make it sound like its black or white

it seems to be for the blindly faithful

harks back to the tottenham argument (tm)

This isnt MON's first transfer window at the club, we've seen it all before, same sh1t window after window, the problems are never addressed, we get by then by some outstanding individual performances and some crazy pot luck. Both these 2 factors ran out after February and you all need little reminding what the results were like then.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,918 ✭✭✭✭orourkeda

You make it sound like its black or white.

The circumstances of each season need to be taken into account.

It is black and white. The club is in a better position. The squad may not be, this will hopefully be rectified soon

It is black and white. The club is in a better position. The squad may not be, this will hopefully be rectified soon
    I couldnt be bothered anymore, your not worth the time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,518 ✭✭✭matrim

The squad may not be, this will hopefully be rectified soon

And that's what everyone here hopes for, but at the moment we don't know for certain if that's in the process of happening now so can only talk about what we see

I couldnt be bothered anymore, your not worth the time.

bye

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,951 ✭✭✭DSB

bye

:D:D:D

matrim wrote: »
    And that's what everyone here hopes for, but at the moment we don't know for certain if that's in the process of happening now so can only talk about what we see

Thats what everybody hopes for isnt it? Why dont we just wait for the window to finish. May be the sensible thing to do rather that indulge in unnecessary speculation

• Advertisement

Thats what everybody hopes for isnt it? Why dont we just wait for the window to finish. May be the sensible thing to do rather that indulge in unnecessary speculation

sure we did that in january, and look what happened there

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,315 ✭✭✭Tomthepost

I think I will keep stum for another week on the MON OUT madness
    So moving on as it First 11 as it stands?
    I think I would like 3 5 2.
    Friedel GK
    Cuellar RCB / L Young
    Davis CB
    Bouma LCB / L Young
    Milner RW
    A Young LW
    R Coker RCM / Sidwell
    Petrov CM
    Downing LCM / Sidwell
    Carew
    Gabby

13 Above and whats left and creditable
    Heskey
    Shorey
    Gardner
    Fonz
    Bannon
    Osbourne

Alot better than 14th or 15th in the table I think.

Helix wrote: »
    sure we did that in january, and look what happened there

That was January. Its gone. If the same thing happens then fair enough.

Tomthepost wrote: »
    I think I will keep stum for another week on the MON OUT madness
    So moving on as it First 11 as it stands?
    I think I would like 3 5 2.
    Friedel GK
    Cuellar RCB / L Young
    Davis CB
    Bouma LCB / L Young
    Milner RW
    A Young LW
    R Coker RCM / Sidwell
    Petrov CM
    Downing LCM / Sidwell
    Carew
    Gabby

13 Above and whats left and creditable
    Heskey
    Shorey
    Gardner
    Fonz
    Bannon
    Osbourne

Alot better than 14th or 15th in the table I think.

I agree completely. Its a top half side.

That was January. Its gone. If the same thing happens then fair enough.

if it happens again fair enough what though? youll agree that perhaps the manager isnt up to the task of bringing in the required number of players of a sufficient calibre?

til one of the defenders is injured

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,535 ✭✭✭Raekwon

But from being within touching distance from a Champions League spot 6 months ago to becoming a 'top half side' is really quite depressing if you think about it. Would you agree?

til one of the defenders is injured

Do you honestly think we won't get one or more quality defender that will walk into the first 11 before the end of August?
    Come on man the weather is bad the recession is worse but keep the faith with the Villa for another month at least.

if it happens again fair enough what though? youll agree that perhaps the manager isnt up to the task of bringing in the required number of players of a sufficient calibre?

Is it the managers fault? I dont fully agree. Who do you propose he signs.

• Advertisement

Raekwon wrote: »
    But from being within touching distance from a Champions League spot 6 months ago to becoming a 'top half side' is really quite depressing if you think about it. Would you agree?

To be honest. I think missing CL may have been something of a blessing. The squad is a decent PL squad but I doubt its capable of competing at CL level consistently. This should be set as a long term goal rather that something for next season

thats his job isnt it

whats what his scouting network is for isnt it

i hate this utter BS of "well who would you bring in instead" questioning. thats not my bloody job. i could fire off a list of players id like us to sign, and youd turn around and give some other ridiculous hypothetical argument about why mon is deadly and the fact that hes criminally slow in the transfer market isnt his fault at all

whos fault is it if its not his? he is the manager of the club, he is the one who runs everything to do with the footballing side of aston villa. if theres something wrong with that side of the business, the buck stops with him

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,951 ✭✭✭DSB

To be honest. I think missing CL may have been something of a blessing. The squad is a decent PL squad but I doubt its capable of competing at CL level consistently. This should be set as a long term goal rather that something for next season

Yes, because missing out on tonnes of money that could help sign new better players, and increasing the profile of the club so those kind of players want to join, is a blessing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,518 ✭✭✭matrim

How is it not the managers fault if we sell players and fail to buy replacements?

As for who we can sign if we put up enough money we should be able to get at least one of Upson, Distin, Hangeland, Turner. Or even someone like Bassong

DSB wrote: »
    Yes, because missing out on tonnes of money that could help sign new better players, and increasing the profile of the club so those kind of players want to join, is a blessing.

Do you seriously think that Aston Villa are ready to compete ar CL level.

Do you honestly think we won't get one or more quality defender that will walk into the first 11 before the end of August?
    Come on man the weather is bad the recession is worse but keep the faith with the Villa for another month at least.

when we have a new top quality player in the squad, ill treat him as a villa player, however while we dont im sure as hell not going to be pretending its a given

• Advertisement

thats his job isnt it

whats what his scouting network is for isnt it

i hate this utter BS of "well who would you bring in instead" questioning. thats not my bloody job. i could fire off a list of players id like us to sign, and youd turn around and give some other ridiculous hypothetical argument about why mon is deadly and the fact that hes criminally slow in the transfer market isnt his fault at all

whos fault is it if its not his? he is the manager of the club, he is the one who runs everything to do with the footballing side of aston villa. if theres something wrong with that side of the business, the buck stops with him

Yes. Its not your job. Leave it to the manager

Do you seriously think that Aston Villa are ready to compete ar CL level.

no club is their first season in the champions league, but being there gives them the money and the attractiveness to potential players to have a great chance of being there the next season, and the next, and the next

Yes. Its not your job. Leave it to the manager

ok lads you heard him

close the soccer forum

theres no more discussion to be had, its just up to the managers

matrim wrote: »
    How is it not the managers fault if we sell players and fail to buy replacements?

As for who we can sign if we put up enough money we should be able to get at least one of Upson, Distin, Hangeland, Turner. Or even someone like Bassong

They are all viable propositions. (Distin excepted)

ok lads you heard him

close the soccer forum

theres no more discussion to be had, its just up to the managers

You didnt make any suggestions when asked.

• Advertisement

when we have a new top quality player in the squad, ill treat him as a villa player, however while we dont im sure as hell not going to be pretending its a given

I just wish you and the rest of the MON OUT fan club would take the exact same attitude towards transfer deadline date.

Anyone fancy MON taking a chance on Stephen Taylor at Newcastle?

no club is their first season in the champions league, but being there gives them the money and the attractiveness to potential players to have a great chance of being there the next season, and the next, and the next

This is true if they manage to string several seasons of CL football together. Remember Everton 1 Qualifying Round and Knocked out in UEFA cup round 1

You didnt make any suggestions when asked.

sure wouldnt you just have said its the managers job not mine, or some other rhetorical nonsense?

players that would improve us and are/were realistic:

bent
    dunne
    hangeland
    tuncay
    turner
    walker*
    naughton*
    huddlestone
    doyle
    corluka
    love
    dafour
    warnock
    bentley

This is true if they manage to string several seasons of CL football together. Remember Everton 1 Qualifying Round and Knocked out in UEFA cup round 1

it happens, but only for the fluke of liverpool being given entry that season when they didnt qualify, everton wouldve been well placed to retain 4th place

I just wish you and the rest of the MON OUT fan club would take the exact same attitude towards transfer deadline date.

that is the attitude we're taking

you must have misread what i said, ill explain it:

until someone signs for us, he isnt a villa player and our squad remains the same size.

assuming that we will make great signings is pointless, and based in nothing. the FACT that we have not made enough signings yet is just that, a fact. it is a truth, and until it is replaced by another fact, it will remain to be so

i dont deal in imaginary possibilities, i deal in the here and now

that is the attitude we're taking

you must have misread what i said, ill explain it:

until someone signs for us, he isnt a villa player and our squad remains the same size.

assuming that we will make great signings is pointless, and based in nothing. the FACT that we have not made enough signings yet is just that, a fact. it is a truth, and until it is replaced by another fact, it will remain to be so

i dont deal in imaginary possibilities, i deal in the here and now

Here and now is that we got a manager that has improved our position in the league on 3 consecutive seasons.
    'i dont deal in imaginary possibilities, i deal in the here and now'

sure wouldnt you just have said its the managers job not mine, or some other rhetorical nonsense?

players that would improve us and are/were realistic:

bent
    dunne
    hangeland
    tuncay
    turner
    walker*
    naughton*
    huddlestone
    doyle
    corluka
    love
    dafour
    warnock
    bentley

I only asked for some suggestions. Relax. If rumours are to be believed Richard Dunne looks like staying at City and playing with Kolo Toure at centre half and Bent to Sunderland looks like a done deal.

The Bentley deal seems to have gone quiet (a good sign hopefully)

Here and now is that we got a manager that has improved our position in the league on 3 consecutive seasons.
    'i dont deal in imaginary possibilities, i deal in the here and now'
    this is the here and now:

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=61352763&postcount=7423
    laursen is gone
    barry is gone
    we have 2 center backs at the club
    we have one right back (now injured)
    a left back the manager doesnt fancy
    a left back just recovering from a career threatening injury
    a midfielder the manager clearly doesnt rate as a midfielder and instead plays at right back
    a left winger who cant play til december signed when arguably the left wing was the strongest part of the team
    we are OUTBID on a £2.7m player
    we sell zat knight, on what looks like the assumption that distin was ready to sign, only to have it now look like hes going to stay at pompey
    we have a first team squad including only 16 players who have started a premiership game

sentimentality gets you nowhere in football.

also, 6th isnt an improvement on 6th

it happens, but only for the fluke of liverpool being given entry that season when they didnt qualify, everton wouldve been well placed to retain 4th place

Possibly but Liverpool were given the 5th spot as champions

• Advertisement

More points than the previous season is.

A higher points total. Its not a disimprovement either

Possibly but Liverpool were given the 5th spot as champions
    which they shouldnt have been

More points than the previous season is.

thats all youre going to address from the post?

speaks volumes

which they shouldnt have been

and a champions league aint for champions?

thats all youre going to address from the post?

speaks volumes

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055335099&page=497

see post 7444

Bent to Sunderland looks like a done deal.

mon reads boards - FACT

starting to break on all the usual sites that we're in to hijack the sunderland bid lol

Hopefully Bouma will slot back in at left back with luke young starting on the right with shorey on the bench and jumble it around if needs be. One CB (perhaps 2) and cover at right back is all we need in defence.

Pablo Zabaleta at right back perhaps if Manchester City need a clear out. Not a completely realistic proposition. Corluka too. Spurs have too many full backs as it is. A raid for at least one might not be beyond the bounds of possibility.

Bentley would be a useful addition.

Any striker will do.

I didnt think Zat Knight would be sold

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,792 ✭✭✭✭JPA

We need 2 centre backs.
    We have 2 left backs but I think we will sell Shorey and buy a new one with Bouma back up.
    We need a back up RB, a new centre back could possibly cover that position, not Cuellar please.
    We need a new, very good, centre midfielder.
    We technically don't need but I think we will sign, a new striker.
    We possibly need a new backup RM but Albrighton may be that player.

Is suppose I would expect a minimum of 5 more signings, you'd kind of forget downing for now.

• Advertisement

stuttgart have a £9m bid accepted for tuncay

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement