Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Aston Villa Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,792 ✭✭✭✭JPA

£9 million seems a lot considering he hardly scores.
    In saying that we need a clever forward, if not, a good goal scorer combined with a clever midfielder.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,661 ✭✭✭✭Helix

if we get bent id be surprised to see us get tuncay too, but IF we got both, thatd be the attacking side of things sorted for the forseeable

then onto the defence

*shudders*

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,518 ✭✭✭matrim

JPA wrote: »
    We need 2 centre backs.
    We have 2 left backs but I think we will sell Shorey and buy a new one with Bouma back up.
    We need a back up RB, a new centre back could possibly cover that position, not Cuellar please.
    We need a new, very good, centre midfielder.
    We technically don't need but I think we will sign, a new striker.
    We possibly need a new backup RM but Albrighton may be that player.

Is suppose I would expect a minimum of 5 more signings, you'd kind of forget downing for now.

I'd mostly agree with you except for the RM. I think with Young, Downing and Milner with the likes of Albrighton and Bannon having a good pre season we're now reasonable OK on the wings

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,918 ✭✭✭✭orourkeda

We need 2 centre backs.
    We have 2 left backs but I think we will sell Shorey and buy a new one with Bouma back up.
    We need a back up RB, a new centre back could possibly cover that position, not Cuellar please.
    We need a new, very good, centre midfielder.
    We technically don't need but I think we will sign, a new striker.
    We possibly need a new backup RM but Albrighton may be that player.

Is suppose I would expect a minimum of 5 more signings, you'd kind of forget downing for now.

I think youre right in trying to get rid of shorey. I've never been his biggest fan but who do you go for. Its not an absolute priority at this point. A central midfielder is also a necessity. We'll have to make do up front at the moment.

matrim wrote: »
    I'd mostly agree with you except for the RM. I think with Young, Downing and Milner with the likes of Albrighton and Bannon having a good pre season we're now reasonable OK on the wings

I did say that really.
    In centre midfield we need and will sign a good midfielder for the first team.
    I think we'll also sign delph and one of Gardner/Sidwell/Reo coker will leave.

• Advertisement

orourkeda wrote: »
    I think youre right in trying to get rid of shorey. I've never been his biggest fan but who do you go for. Its not an absolute priority at this point. A central midfielder is also a necessity. We'll have to make do up front at the moment.

I know you could say left back is not a prority as we have 2 but I feel it is a big weakness in our team and one weak link can cause problems elsewhere, although not necessarily directly.

Steven warnock seems an obvious choice but I think he will be much harder to sign then the papers seems to be thinking.

I did say that really.
    In centre midfield we need and will sign a good midfielder for the first team.
    I think we'll also sign delph and one of Gardner/Sidwell/Reo coker will leave.

Do you think one of them will leave? Maybe youre right but I wouldnt have thought so. Gardner is solid if unspectacular and is somewhat versatile. I dont see any of them leaving but wouldnt be gobsmacked by the same token.

Do you think one of them will leave? Maybe youre right but I wouldnt have thought so. Gardner is solid if unspectacular and is somewhat versatile. I dont see any of them leaving but wouldnt be gobsmacked by the same token.

Teams supposedly want Gardner, a loan would possibly be the best thing, I couldn't see Sidwell going after only being here a year, Reo Coker is a bit of an unknown, if he was considered a back up for midfield and used accordingly it wouldn't be too bad.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,154 ✭✭✭✭Neil3030

Right lads I'm off to the scratcher. After a miserably boring day for AVFC I'm confident that tomorrow I'll wake up to find we've had bids accepted for Tuncay and Bent. And who knows, maybe a defender or two to boot. Night all.

I know you could say left back is not a prority as we have 2 but I feel it is a big weakness in our team and one weak link can cause problems elsewhere, although not necessarily directly.

Steven warnock seems an obvious choice but I think he will be much harder to sign then the papers seems to be thinking.

I think so. Allardyce wont let him go on the cheap.

I think a right back may be more of a priority at this point in time. A Centre Back is definitely more pressing. Midfield looks ok assuming one strong addition is made. Gardner, Petrov, Sidwell, reo-coker going for 2 spots. Hopefully salifou contributes a little more and someone like Isaiah Osbourne can fulfil their potential and make the breakthrough

• Advertisement

Neil3030 wrote: »
    Right lads I'm off to the scratcher. After a miserably boring day for AVFC I'm confident that tomorrow I'll wake up to find we've had bids accepted for Tuncay and Bent. And who knows, maybe a defender or two to boot. Night all.

Huntelaar, sniejder and Drenthe this way comes. But you didn't hear it from me.

Teams supposedly want Gardner, a loan would possibly be the best thing, I couldn't see Sidwell going after only being here a year, Reo Coker is a bit of an unknown, if he was considered a back up for midfield and used accordingly it wouldn't be too bad.

Gardners alright. A loan move would suit everyone.

Throw some Huntelaar our way

This could be one of the most ridiculous suggestions ever but what about Phillippe Senderos as a possible centre half

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,661 ✭✭✭✭Helix

already been linked, but no thanks. he suffers too much from zat knight "oops i forgot i was playing football" syndrome

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,249 ✭✭✭✭Kinetic^

Another NO to Senderos! Gash.

I'm not sure if Arsenal will let Senderos go now after Toure going to City. Even if they did I'm not sure if he's good enough

We're now being linked with a Swedish defender. Can't say I know anything about the guy though
    According to a report in The Times this morning, Aston Villa have been watching Rasmus Bengtsson, the Trelleborgs central defender. Martin O’Neill has been linked with a number of central defenders this summer following Martin Laursen’s retirement from football.

Bengtsson, 23, is a 6.1ft central defender considered to be one of the major talents in Swedish football. A number of European clubs are interested in Bengtsson as he is out of contract at the end of 2009.

Italian clubs Lazio and Udinese were linked earlier this summer with the centre back and last week it was reported that PSV were close to securing a deal. Reports in Holland today suggest AZ Alkmaar could also sign Bengtsson.

Bengtsson has spent his whole career at Trelleborgs and is described by scouts in Sweden as a "small sensation. He is strong and tough with great defensive qualities."

The right-footed defender, who speaks English, can also play up front. He started his career in defence, was then moved up front and then returned to his original position.

During the 2009 Swedish season Bengtsson has played 10 games and scored one goal, he has also picked up one red card. He was also part of the Sweden Under-21 squad that reached the semi-finals of the recent European Championship on home soil.

• Registered Users Posts: 857 ✭✭✭wynters

I like the cut of his jib!

3447786819.jpg

"Getzup you caaaaant!"

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,016 ✭✭✭mirwillbeback

http://football365.com/story/0,17033,8652_5458540,00.html
    " I'm excited by it "

" I'm deflated by it "

" You got close last year and suddenly another club has stepped over you "

I'm glad he is, as us Villa fans have NOTHING to be excited about this summer. One signing, who arrived for a medical on crutches and who will make his debut sometime in December.

He f*cking should be deflated by it. He's sat around on his hole all summer, despite apparently having a generous chairman willing to back him with vast funds.

We got close last year Martin, well as far as Feb anyway, and then you blew it, and therin blew the chance to have extra funds to compete with the Arsenals, Liverpools and Evertons, if not the limitless pit that City have. And another club didn't step over us to challenge the top four Martin, as we actually finished SIXTH behind Everton.

He is really starting to piss me off.

• Advertisement

http://football365.com/story/0,17033,8652_5458540,00.html
    " I'm excited by it "

" I'm deflated by it "

" You got close last year and suddenly another club has stepped over you "

I'm glad he is, as us Villa fans have NOTHING to be excited about this summer. One signing, who arrived for a medical on crutches and who will make his debut sometime in December.

He f*cking should be deflated by it. He's sat around on his hole all summer, despite apparently having a generous chairman willing to back him with vast funds.

We got close last year Martin, well as far as Feb anyway, and then you blew it, and therin blew the chance to have extra funds to compete with the Arsenals, Liverpools and Evertons, if not the limitless pit that City have. And another club didn't step over us to challenge the top four Martin, as we actually finished SIXTH behind Everton.

He is really starting to piss me off.

Here we go

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,335 ✭✭✭death1234567

Helix wrote: »
    Stanislav Manolev, right back, signed for psv instead for £2.7m. we were outbid by both psv and cologne
    how do you know this?

£9m for Tuncay, That's a lot for him.

Here we go

another absolute top quality post by your good self, looking forward to seeing you put a proper argument up instead of short, smart comments.

:rolleyes:

another absolute top quality post by your good self, looking forward to seeing you put a proper argument up instead of short, smart comments.

:rolleyes:

The club that has taken them over just happen to have one of the biggest budgets in world football.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,420 ✭✭✭Doodee

The club that has taken them over just happen to have one of the biggest budgets in world football.

That's no reason for him to be making excuses. It is very hard to try and comprehend how we haven't brought in any quality given how well we played for the first half of last season. You can't really excuse it, it is showing a lack of determination and a possibility that he is softening peoples minds for a lackluster performance this season.

I would love to be proven wrong by all this, but without him making any positive moves during this transfer windows I will just have to face all my mates slagings about the mid table mediocrity or near relegation of seasons past. :(

If MON truely wants to prove to the fans that he knows what he is doing then we need some proper signings. Especially while there is a pantry for raiding at Madrid.

Doodee wrote: »
    That's no reason for him to be making excuses. It is very hard to try and comprehend how we haven't brought in any quality given how well we played for the first half of last season. You can't really excuse it, it is showing a lack of determination and a possibility that he is softening peoples minds for a lackluster performance this season.

I would love to be proven wrong by all this, but without him making any positive moves during this transfer windows I will just have to face all my mates slagings about the mid table mediocrity or near relegation of seasons past. :(

If MON truely wants to prove to the fans that he knows what he is doing then we need some proper signings. Especially while there is a pantry for raiding at Madrid.

Its not an excuse, Its reality. It isnt difficult to comprehend. Its either the players arent there, they dont want to sign for the club or are proving too expensive. I very much doubt that its due to lack of effort on the part of the management of the club. The expectations are somewhat unreasonable. What do you really expect?

They havent even kicked a ball and you are writing the season off.

What does he need to prove to us? Are you seriously suggesting that Martin O'Neill doesnt know what he's doing? Real Madrid players arent going to sign for Villa are they realistically

Its not an excuse, Its reality. It isnt difficult to comprehend. Its either the players arent there, they dont want to sign for the club or are proving too expensive. I very much doubt that its due to lack of effort on the part of the management of the club. The expectations are somewhat unreasonable. What do you really expect?

They havent even kicked a ball and you are writing the season off.

What does he need to prove to us? Are you seriously suggesting that Martin O'Neill doesnt know what he's doing? Real Madrid players arent going to sign for Villa are they realistically

I expect him to be challenging for Champions league football. It's year 4 of that 5 year plan. My expectations are not unrealistic. The team has proven that they can get close, regardless of how much the teams around them spent.
    And yes I do expect Madrid players to sign for Villa. Why shouldn't I? If the management are as capable as you say then they should be able to convince high caliber players to join by the promise of success.
    I really do not see how City spending so much money makes it alright to claim that there are no other players out there. WE have had plenty of chances to sign players, and having to pay over hte odds is nothing new to MON, he has done so on other players already. That is part of the competitive edge of having an understanding chairman, If MON required the extra it should (In theory) be available fromt he generous Randy.

Everton and Spurs have not been busy so far in the market, and MON hasn't capitalized on this. That is what I find so annoying.

And just to end, any good planner will take risk evaluation seriously, and in football that means a rival becoming flush. The City excuse will only float for so long and if we don't start improving now then the gap between us and the top 5 will only become greater.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,910 ✭✭✭✭whatawaster

Everton and Spurs have not been busy so far in the market, and MON hasn't capitalized on this. That is what I find so annoying.

And crucially, their squads have not been significantly weakened either

I expect him to be challenging for Champions league football. It's year 4 of that 5 year plan. My expectations are not unrealistic. The team has proven that they can get close, regardless of how much the teams around them spent.
    And yes I do expect Madrid players to sign for Villa. Why shouldn't I? If the management are as capable as you say then they should be able to convince high caliber players to join by the promise of success.
    I really do not see how City spending so much money makes it alright to claim that there are no other players out there. WE have had plenty of chances to sign players, and having to pay over hte odds is nothing new to MON, he has done so on other players already. That is part of the competitive edge of having an understanding chairman, If MON required the extra it should (In theory) be available fromt he generous Randy.

And just to end, any good planner will take risk evaluation seriously, and in football that means a rival becoming flush. The City excuse will only float for so long and if we don't start improving now then the gap between us and the top 5 will only become greater.

I didnt say there were no players out there. Any deal should be reasonable and beneficial to both club and player for it to work. We cant say for sure whats going behind the scenes.

At the time I thought he overpaid for Ashley Young and Stilian Petrov. Turns out it was good business. I think the Stewart Downing fee was a little inflated considering the club were relegated but we'll have to reserve judgement. John Carew was a good purchase. I still dont know how he managed to turn a profit on Zat Knight. It hasnt all been bad. I hope Carlos Cuellar can do a petrov.

Madrid players are out of our league at present. Thats just the way it is. You cant sign players on the promise of success. You sign them on success achieved. Its a gamble if thats the way you want the club to go but i'd much rather he builds the club gradually than risk a ridsdale.

• Advertisement

And crucially, their squads have not been significantly weakened either

Spurs need to sell before they can buy. They've several players making up the numbers.

Spurs need to sell before they can buy. They've several players making up the numbers.

Crouch came in yesterday as did Walker / Naughton from Sheff Utd. :confused:

Oh and btw they are all fit and ready to play in August.

Don't ye realise that this is all a repeat of last summer.

Crouch came in yesterday as did Walker / Naughton from Sheff Utd. :confused:

Oh yeah, and they are all fit and ready to play in August.

Are these 2 defenders going straight into the first team? Ahead or Corluka, Gareth Bale, Alain Hutton chimbonda ETC.

That gives them 6 strikers. Darren Bent will go leaving 5.

Pavlyuchenko and Gionavi Dos Santos are poor. What are we so afraid of?

Don't ye realise that this is all a repeat of last summer.

Yes. We do. Your point?

Yes. We do. Your point?

My point is your arguments are pointless. All that's needed is time.

• Advertisement

My point is your arguments are pointless. All that's needed is time.

I agree. My whole argument here is that nobody here has a crystal ball and can determine how this whole transfer window will play out and for some people to write a whole season off before a ball is kicked is insanity. Is there anyone with even the slightest modicum of optimism

They’ve depth to their squad you mean? Such depth that means they can operate on a one-in, on-out basis? Get rid of Bent, bring in Crouch, who offers something different to your other strikers, and probably turn a profit on the deal.
    Are these 2 defenders going straight into the first team? Ahead or Corluka, Gareth Bale, Alain Hutton chimbonda ETC.

That gives them 6 strikers. Darren Bent will go leaving 5.

Pavlyuchenko and Gionavi Dos Santos are poor. What are we so afraid of?

You’re just proving other people’s points. Spurs have a strong squad. They haven’t lost anyone important this summer and they will probably add numbers. Dos Santos spent most of last season on loan. He is not first choice, so don’t use him as an example. Pavuluchenko, if he stays, will be a good player for them. He’s an international striker who’s excelled at the highest level.

They’ve depth to their squad you mean? Such depth that means they can operate on a one-in, on-out basis? Get rid of Bent, bring in Crouch, who offers something different to your other strikers, and probably turn a profit on the deal.

You’re just proving other people’s points. Spurs have a strong squad. They haven’t lost anyone important this summer and they will probably add numbers. Dos Santos spent most of last season on loan. He is not first choice, so don’t use him as an example. Pavuluchenko, if he stays, will be a good player for them. He’s an international striker who’s excelled at the highest level.

Bigging up Spurs? :rolleyes: Surely we all know what a mistake that is.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,452 ✭✭✭Time Magazine

Is there anyone with even the slightest modicum of optimism

I have.

Downing was essentially a swap for Barry. Knight's sale and the insurance from Laursen probably netted another £6-7m. So if you think we had a budget of about £30m from TV revenue, we've about £35m to spend between now and September.

That's 6 Luke Youngs, Stan Petrovs or Kevin Doyles.

I think we will come 5th.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 929 ✭✭✭sternn

I have.

Downing was essentially a swap for Barry. Knight's sale and the insurance from Laursen probably netted another £6-7m. So if you think we had a budget of about £30m from TV revenue, we've about £35m to spend between now and September.

Dont forget about the prize money from coming 6th (thats about £12mil)

• Advertisement

I have.

If it gets spent.

I'm not being pessimistic here, I'm being realistic. It's all well and good shouting for optimism, I'm normally quite the optimist, but the truth is that we ended the season needing to strengthen and we haven't done so. The squad needs players, end of. If we get injuries then there is not sufficient back up there to replace them.
    You cant sign players on the promise of success. You sign them on success achieved. Its a gamble if thats the way you want the club to go but i'd much rather he builds the club gradually than risk a ridsdale.

He is hardly going to do a ridsdale by buying the players NEEDED to compete at the current level.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,213 ✭✭✭✭therecklessone

Alternatively it's 6 Steve Sidwells, Nicky Shoreys or Carlos Cuellars.

Just sayin'.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,951 ✭✭✭DSB

I honestly have no idea how people can defend MON's transfer ability, its horrendous, probably the worst in the Premiership.

If it gets spent.

I'm not being pessimistic here, I'm being realistic. It's all well and good shouting for optimism, I'm normally quite the optimist, but the truth is that we ended the season needing to strengthen and we haven't done so. The squad needs players, end of. If we get injuries then there is not sufficient back up there to replace them.

He is hardly going to do a ridsdale by buying the players NEEDED to compete at the current level.

Just dont panic buy for the sake of it

DSB wrote: »
    I honestly have no idea how people can defend MON's transfer ability, its horrendous, probably the worst in the Premiership.

Nonsense.

Just dont panic buy for the sake of it

It's not panic buying. We have bought 1 player that we were linked with. We have LOST 3. You are capable of simple arithmetic, or should we assume not given your monosyllabic nature and blind faith?

It's not panic buying. We have bought 1 player that we were linked with. We have LOST 3. You are capable of simple arithmetic, or should we assume not given your monosyllabic nature and blind faith?

There's no need to get personal. I didnt do that to you. I'm more than capable of counting to three thanks very much. Why dont you just stick to the issue.

What I meant by panic buying was, bringing players to the club who are signed for the sake of it and who dont improve things. I'm sure you dont want this to happen.

sternn wrote: »
    Dont forget about the prize money from coming 6th (thats about £12mil)

Do Villa not have costs to cover?

In other news . . .

http://www.birminghammail.net/birmingham-sport/aston-villa-fc/aston-villa-news/2009/07/29/villa-making-headway-on-transfer-targets-says-martin-o-neill-97319-24266106/

Link to Robbie Keane here. He would be a decent signing for Villa

What I meant by panic buying was, bringing players to the club who are signed for the sake of it and who dont improve things. I'm sure you dont want this to happen.

and I never once suggested Panic buying.

We have been linked to plenty of quality players but have not seen any action from O'Neill.

I'm not a fan of Robbie Keane, I do not feel he would work well at Villa.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement