Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Aston Villa Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,924 ✭✭✭shoutman

Woot!

Happy days I say, we scored plenty of goals last season, that said it seemed like some clubs adapted to our style of play and thus neutralised our goal scoring prowess, but at the same time looks like our defence is as good as its going to get as a club playing in the qualifying rounds of the uefa cup.

Obviously a right winger would be brilliant, obviously it looks like milner is out of the question but SWP would be FAB, also dont know much about this de la red lad but from what I;ve read he's got a bit of quality about him.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,879 Mod ✭✭✭✭Bounty Hunter

So atm I see it as

..............................Friedel...........................

L.Young....Davies/Cuellar....Laursen...Bouma/Shorey

............................Reo-Coker...........................
    ...........Sidwell..........................Barry................
    ............................A.Young..............................

.............G.Agbonlahor........J.Carew..................

Subs: Guzan, Knight, Gardner, Petrov, Maloney, Harewood, The Fonz

with the possibility of going back to 442 if we can sign a quality RM such as SWP, Milner, Srna etc

I am also hoping that Gardner gets some game time in midfield this season say in Sidwell's position above. Also if a CF is signed to challenge Gabby or start ahead of I hope The Fonz gets a loan and game time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,391 ✭✭✭One Cold Hand

PHB wrote: »
    Surely the first choice will be Sidwell and Barry if he stays?

You mean central mid?

I'd like to see Barry Sidwell and NRC in the centre. Then pushing forward, Young on the left, A.N. Other on the right and Carew up front. Gabby to be used as an impact sub.

Antithetic wrote: »
    Yep but Petrov played MR (badly) a lot last season and I'm also kind of getting at the diamond formation we played towards the end of that season. In that formation, NRC was MR and Petrov was DMC. But I don't think we'll play that again, especially if we get a new winger, so I put NRC as the MC. He's more likely to partner Barry/Sidwell there than Petrov.

True. I guess what I meant was I hope he doesn't play there this year!

Gabby would be a brilliant impact sub coming on when opposition defenders are exhausted. imagine the look on Sol Cambell's face when Gabby gets subbed on in the 80the minute to go up against him.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,951 ✭✭✭DSB

We defo need a new right mid an a new striker. I think Gabby is way better than most people on internet forums seem to make out though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,014 ✭✭✭Eirebear

Be happy lads, youve signed one hell of a player there.

Rangers lack of ambition and the general mess our club in has ironically left Martin O'Neil taking advantage and making us look like a bunch of amateurs again. :(

I am truly gutted at the minute and really dont have the headspace to get into the whys and wherefores of it all, but i honestly reckon he will do a good job for you down there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,951 ✭✭✭DSB

Eirebear wrote: »
    Be happy lads, youve signed one hell of a player there.

Rangers lack of ambition and the general mess our club in has ironically left Martin O'Neil taking advantage and making us look like a bunch of amateurs again. :(

I am truly gutted at the minute and really dont have the headspace to get into the whys and wherefores of it all, but i honestly reckon he will do a good job for you down there.

Ah wouldn't be too down, you got a good price and if you pump that back into the team well enough you'll easily sign a few capable players of higher quality than what Celtic have.

• Registered Users Posts: 650 ✭✭✭spiderdan

Nice one- looks like a great signing! MON looks like he's taken on board any criticism from the fans. We still need to buy a RM and a striker,

SWP- Very likely, Joe Cole- Doubtful, Milner- Keegan has a lot of faith in him.
    Ashton- Very good chance, reckon he'll leave. Santa Cruz- Not so sure, but it looks like City have no chance! I'd love to see him in a Villa shirt.

Does anyone rate Doyle or Hunt? I personally think Hunt would be a great signing for a team like Villa etc, he was easily Readings player of the year, great value signing, even for the likes of Pool. Doyle I'm really not sure, looks like he wants to stay anyway.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,617 ✭✭✭✭PHB

Hunt's not that good, he'd be a good squad player for a top side, but not a good first team player for say Villa.

SWP and Ashton would be good business, but I can't see Ashton leaving with the prices West Ham want. City need to be raided, why not go see Petrov?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,074 ✭✭✭rgiller

spiderdan wrote: »
    Nice one- looks like a great signing! MON looks like he's taken on board any criticism from the fans. We still need to buy a RM and a striker,

SWP- Very likely, Joe Cole- Doubtful, Milner- Keegan has a lot of faith in him.
    Ashton- Very good chance, reckon he'll leave. Santa Cruz- Not so sure, but it looks like City have no chance! I'd love to see him in a Villa shirt.

Does anyone rate Doyle or Hunt? I personally think Hunt would be a great signing for a team like Villa etc, he was easily Readings player of the year, great value signing, even for the likes of Pool. Doyle I'm really not sure, looks like he wants to stay anyway.

SWP, Joe Cole, Ashton: you must be joking me. I don't see any of them coming through. As for Doyle and Hunt, they're grand for Irish players but they're not going to help you push for Europe. They'd be squad players, and probably quite expensive ones too. We're still waiting on that "big" signing to happen...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,335 ✭✭✭death1234567

Good signing by MON. It means we now have three top Quality centre halfs and two of them are quite young. Just need ~2 more players now.

UTV

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,661 ✭✭✭✭Helix

ah, the football forum, how ive longed for your sweet embrace once more

top net spenders in world football, whod have thunk it. not i

well played mr o'neill, well bloody played

Wahey! He's back! welcome back sir...hope no-one in prison asked you to pick up the soap in the shower!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,014 ✭✭✭Eirebear

DSB wrote: »
    Ah wouldn't be too down, you got a good price and if you pump that back into the team well enough you'll easily sign a few capable players of higher quality than what Celtic have.

Considering we got 9 million for Hutton, i honestly dont consider 7.8million for Cuellar a good price at all. Unfortunately there isnt much we can do about release clauses!

I'll be watching Villa a little more closely this season now, so good luck Carlos, and good luck Villa.

We've not finished. We'll still have some players coming in.

nice

Wahey! He's back! welcome back sir...hope no-one in prison asked you to pick up the soap in the shower!

well there was one occasion and... well... id rather not talk about it

lol

rgiller wrote: »
    SWP, Joe Cole, Ashton: you must be joking me. I don't see any of them coming through. As for Doyle and Hunt, they're grand for Irish players but they're not going to help you push for Europe. They'd be squad players, and probably quite expensive ones too. We're still waiting on that "big" signing to happen...

Why not see SWP, Cole, Ashton- at Villa Pk next season, I can definitely see it happen!! SWP and Ashton are England squad players with higher aspirations- if any manager would bring it out of them its MON!!! Cole wouldn't move out of the top 4 IMO. looks like Santa Cruz is looking for a City move. Both would be quality signings. Very glad about CC was worried we we getting Kaboul or Ferdinand who I thought would've been poor signings. On Hunt, a very good addition to the squad if the value's right.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,246 ✭✭✭Esse85

MON Wants More Players

MON TVMartin O'Neill hopes to complete his sixth new signing of the summer but insists the search for reinforcements will not stop there.

As www.avfc.co.uk revealed last night, Villa have had a bid accepted for Rangers defender Carlos Cuéllar after triggering a release clause in the Spaniard's contract.

The 26-year-old is now set for talks and a medical and will hopefully join Steve Sidwell, Brad Friedel, Brad Guzan, Nicky Shorey and Luke Young in the Villa squad.

O'Neill though is chasing more new arrivals and told [url]www.avfc.co.uk:[/url] "If we're going to try and compete, even at Premier League level let alone Europe, we need a decent squad. So we need to keep adding quality if we can.

"We've lost Freddie Bouma and we were quite thin on the ground before that. That sort of injury can happen at any given minute. Therefore we need to try and safeguard as much as we can.

"What we've done is bring in a recognised right-back and a recognised left-back to help us. We didn't have the right-back last year but it wasn't for lack of trying.

"We've not finished. We'll still have some players coming in to give us a chance and if we're lucky enough to qualify for the group stages of the UEFA Cup that would take us right up to Christmas and we'll most definitely need the squad.

"Last season we were exceptionally lucky with injuries. Eight or nine players played over 30 games and we didn't have big runs in the FA or League Cup - therefore we were able to concentrate on the League.

"All that could change this season and the fact is that we need the squad to be bigger to cope with that. That's what we're trying to do."
    http://www.avfc.premiumtv.co.uk/page/NewsDetail/0,,10265~1363838,00.html

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,323 ✭✭✭Savman

Yes I'm getting carried away, yes I'm wearing tinted specs, but shoot me. I have a niggling feeling the bid for Cole might actually materialize.

If i try rationalize...Scolari cannot possibly play all those players at once and some of them are too good to be bit part players. £15m from selling Joe Cole would get him his Robinho or Kaka or both if reports are to believed.

Lampard, Essien, Deco, Ballack, Mikel, Malouda, Wright Phillips, Cole, Robinho and Kaka :eek:

Just when you thought we were doing ok :o

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,074 ✭✭✭rgiller

Savman wrote: »
    Yes I'm getting carried away, yes I'm wearing tinted specs, but shoot me. I have a niggling feeling the bid for Cole might actually materialize.

:rolleyes:

I'll believe it when I see it. Paycut, out of CL, less chance of trophies, moving out of London. I don't see what we could offer him, apart from an almost guaranteed place on the first team. He was one of Chelsea's best players last season and should be getting more than his share of the action with them this season

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 657 ✭✭✭tomred1

Can't see Cole leaving Chelsea. It would be unpopular amogsnt the fans if he did let him go. He would cost way more than £15 million also.

• Registered Users Posts: 857 ✭✭✭wynters

Helix wrote: »

well played mr o'neill, well bloody played

Welcome back Helix! Missed you on the Barry thread. Scousers :rolleyes: A lot's changed on the Villa during your 'time away'. Happy Days!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,792 ✭✭✭✭JPA

Barcelona?

we've jsut had a bid accepted for joaquin valencia have announced on spanish radio

talks tomorrow, medical friday

christ this is good

we've jsut had a bid accepted for joaquin valencia have announced on spanish radio

christ this is good

seriously?

JPA wrote: »
    Barcelona?

whats their ins and outs?

seriously?

yup, just been announced on eurosport too

whats their ins and outs?

Ah who cares, Joaquin woohoo!

• Advertisement

you dont have a linky do you, Great news if true...btw welcome back from your exile

Any actual link though?

nah no link yet, id give it an hour before it hits the web if theres anything even resembling fact behind it (which youd have to assume there is seeing as it was on so many stations simultaneously apparently)

fee of £11.7m apparently

Joaquim could also fit the recent rumour attributed to Damian at AVFCBlog which he thought related to De La Red

- Spanish or Portuguese
    - Creative/Attacking player
    - Most excited one fans been since they heard we were signing JPA if it comes true...
    - Replacement for barry
    - Bid accepted
    - 'Surprising' (maybe that means we've not been linked with him before or that he isnt in the typical MON mould)
    - has no prem experience

and we all know Valencia need the money but dont want to part with David Villa

christ this is good

You taken the piss? If you are I am going to feed to you to my pet piranaha Fluffy.

• Advertisement

nope, ive still to see any written confirmation tho, but its apparently been all over spanish radio and announced on eurosport

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,983 ✭✭✭leninbenjamin

weird. Joaquin's a chronically over rated player imo, but still given the lack of viable alternatives available could be well worth the gamble. personally I think he'll really struggle to adapt to the premiership and England in general and would be surprised if he agreed to the move. but still whether they get him or not this only reflects positively on Villa.

nope, ive still to see any written confirmation tho, but its apparently been all over spanish radio and announced on eurosport

Who's your source?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,951 ✭✭✭✭Villain

Its bull lads

eh wats the story lads- can anyone back this link up?? Personally I'd be delighted- I think he's a quality player, class act- better then SWP, Milner IMO

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,951 ✭✭✭✭Villain

Chinese Whispers at its worst I'm afraid

it makes sense however Ive been unable to find any links online so unless Helix is actually sitting listening to Spanish radio stations online or something i dont know where this is coming from.

Here is where it comes from http://www.avfcblog.com/content/view/2513/70/

Scroll right to the bottom of the comments. Tenuous isn't the word.

Tenuous isn't the word.
    Indeed, Bollocks is the word.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,983 ✭✭✭leninbenjamin

Here is where it comes from http://www.avfcblog.com/content/view/2513/70/

Scroll right to the bottom of the comments. Tenuous isn't the word.

lol, it's pretty hilarious though to see how some have latched onto it so much.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,323 ✭✭✭Savman

Meanwhile, back at the ranch...

Savman wrote: »
    Meanwhile, back at the ranch...

...0,,10265~3748578,00.jpg
    deal done

• Registered Users Posts: 1,299 ✭✭✭villains77

the villa game is on thursday night in murrays of oconnell street. The irish villains usually meet in the duke bar whenever the mathcs are on live check out www.avie.aceboard.com for any info reharding if we are meeting or not. some times we meet up if a pub in town has foreign sat channels. well hope we all have a good season again
    up the villa

• Registered Users Posts: 857 ✭✭✭wynters

Is that you Dave? Sid here... :)

I'll pop down on Thursday.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,299 ✭✭✭villains77

see you all at murrays pub up stairs. come on you villains

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement