Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Aston Villa Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 231 ✭✭DarenO

note to self, i must join the Irish Villains again, was a member in the 90s when John (can't remember surname and he'll kill me for it) then Luke Feeney took over, those were the days and FC Villa resplendent in the claret and blue in the Guiness amateur.

won't be around for midweek games but will try and drop by on a weekend bring my wife and daughter, where do you meet now

Darren

• Registered Users Posts: 1,299 ✭✭✭villains77

hi darreno name is john c and i was in that club with luke and paddy kelly. it was john ryan that used to run it i think then luke took over and then paddy kelly and from there berenice took it over and now it is me and 2 other lads that run it. we have moved from osheas to the duke just off duke street. 1st left on grafton st. used to train with the fc villa lads aswell. those were the days allright. hope to see you whenever the villa are on next. sometimes we usually end up in other pubs that have foreign sat channels so it worth checking out the website

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,014 ✭✭✭Eirebear

...0,,10265~3748578,00.jpg
    deal done

I feel sick

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,611 ✭✭✭carlop

lads just a quick fantasy football-inspired question: will shorey be the first choice left back next season? Provisionally I have him and young (ashley) in, more than I have from United, Chelsea or Liverpool:eek:

jeez jsut cause he played for rangers. he could be a good signing. i think he could be a good signing. time will tell. i know he play for rangers so what that be the same if a rovers player joined bohs u dont see me getting pissed off over it. if hes good enough to play for the team then he good enough. simple as

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,879 Mod ✭✭✭✭Bounty Hunter

carlop wrote: »
    lads just a quick fantasy football-inspired question: will shorey be the first choice left back next season? Provisionally I have him and young (ashley) in, more than I have from United, Chelsea or Liverpool:eek:

he will be for the first several months for definate, Bouma isnt expect back till after Christmass iirc

villains77 wrote: »
    jeez jsut cause he played for rangers. he could be a good signing. i think he could be a good signing. time will tell. i know he play for rangers so what that be the same if a rovers player joined bohs u dont see me getting pissed off over it. if hes good enough to play for the team then he good enough. simple as

:confused::confused:

u said u felt sick at the thaught of a rangers player joining villa. iam a bohs fan and bohs fans hate rovers fans the same way as celtic hate the rangers fans. so if bohs signed a rovers player it wouldnt bother me if he was a good player and improved the teams performance
    .you still confused now :rolleyes::rolleyes:

u said u felt sick at the thaught of a rangers player joining villa. iam a bohs fan and bohs fans hate rovers fans the same way as celtic hate the rangers fans. so if bohs signed a rovers player it wouldnt bother me if he was a good player and improved the teams performance
    .you still confused now :rolleyes::rolleyes:

Im a Rangers fan, i feel sick because our best player has left for peanuts....:p

• Advertisement

Eirebear wrote: »
    Im a Rangers fan, i feel sick because our best player has left for peanuts....:p
    oh right sorry bout that your the only irish rangers fan i met

that ended a lot better than i had feared. Hope like Ceullar, european football can help us attract other quality players from the continent. or maybe even Ceullar can attract other spanish speakers

oh right sorry bout that your the only irish rangers fan i met

lol, no worries dude.
    Just remember....im waaaaay too good looking to support Celtic! ;)

Anyway, thats my last word on the whole scenario.

Best of luck King carlos, i hope it works out for you.

yeah forgot to mention that earlier his nickname is "The King" thats cool

and we are once more linked to Milner
    Villa planning £6m raid on Newcastle for Milner

Aston Villa are preparing a fresh £6million bid for Newcastle winger James Milner.

The England Under-21 international remains a part of Kevin Keegan's plans for the season but the Newcastle manager may be prepared to cash in as Martin O'Neill continues his pursuit of a player who spent a year on loan at Villa Park.

Former Leeds' midfielder Milner was out of the side last season following Keegan's return and in addition Argentina international Jonas Gutierez is one of the few signings Keegan has made this summer and he too prefers the wide-right berth.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,951 ✭✭✭✭Villain

Milner is exactly the kind of Player I would expect MON to sign.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,924 ✭✭✭shoutman

I think Milner would be great for us. Was great when we had him on loan and no reason why he wont be great again.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,154 ✭✭✭✭Neil3030

I'm not too carried away about Milner. For starters Keggy seems very keen on keeping him and secondly, I realy don't rate him. He shone for us in a far poorer Villa side. He relies too much on his stepover that rarely works and has no explosion of pace whatsoever. Comfortable on the ball, hard worker and consistent above average performances is all we'll get from him. O.K., for £6m, give it a lash and see what happens, but anything more than that is a waste. Just because MON is suddenly spending doesn't mean we should be giving teams handouts!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,391 ✭✭✭One Cold Hand

I disagree Neil, I think Milner would be a brilliant signing. Exactly what we need. He has an excellent final delivery, and I think him and Ashley would be an excellent combination, Ashley running at and beating players, Milner using his crossing from a wide position. Milner would give a great variety and options in our attack. And I'm sure Big Johnny would appreciate the good crosses coming in!

And 6m is dirt cheap. I don't think we'll get him for that. I'd happily pay 10m for him. He's only 22 or 23 I think.

/edit, I agree with you about his pace, but we don't need him for that! That's what we have Gabby and Ash for!

• Registered Users Posts: 650 ✭✭✭spiderdan

totally agree- I'd love to see him at Villa Pk, He'd be a bargain at 6m- great value in that- seeing as SWP would go for 10-12m its a steal if we manage to get him for 6m

For €6m I'd take the punt as I said, but imo there are better players out there for the €10-€12m mark.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,335 ✭✭✭death1234567

I'd take Milner for £6m but I agree with Neil, I wouldn't go above £8m for him.

/edit, I agree with you about his pace, but we don't need him for that! That's what we have Gabby and Ash for!

On second thoughts, sign Milner and force him and Gabby to live together. If Gabby can show some tricks for pace to Milner, who in turn could teach Gabby to GET HIS F*****G HEAD UP, we'd have two very decent players.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,074 ✭✭✭rgiller

Neil3030 wrote: »
    On second thoughts, sign Milner and force him and Gabby to live together. If Gabby can show some tricks for pace to Milner, who in turn could teach Gabby to GET HIS F*****G HEAD UP, we'd have two very decent players.

Gabes Milnahor - the perfect winger!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,246 ✭✭✭Esse85

For £6m id take Milner, anything more and id be unsure. I dont rate him too highly to be honest, I dont think Lennon will stay at Spurs so MON could also look at him, he's different to Milner, but not any better in terms of ability.

I ve heard good reports on Cuellar, but ill admit i ve never seen him play before as im no fan of the SPL. I just hope he doesnt follow the same pattern such as Boumsong, Van Bronckhorst, Amoruso, Ferguson, Petrov, Maloney. It is a good sign though that MON has recognized the need to have cover in this area aswel as spending nearly £8m on a CB who may not be certain of starting.

With the recent influx of players to VP, i wouldnt be surprised to see a younger player go out on loan, maybe Salifou or Routledge which wouldnt be a bad thing if they were starting regularly with another team.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,529 ✭✭✭Im_No_Superman

What happened the Joaquin links lads? Or was that just a red herring. Very exciting player, would love to see him in the Premiership.

• Registered Users Posts: 857 ✭✭✭wynters

I think we could do much better than Milner for that price (£6m - £10m) If you look at the likes of Petrov, Elano, or Hleb etc.... guys who came from abroad for similar fee's, we could do better. MUCH better.

Sure he's young, he's English, he's got a great attitude. He's a good player for a mid-table side but he won't break us into the top 4.

Personally I think MON will make a move for Sebastian Larsson. His pattern so far in this window has been to raid teams near or below us in terms of overall quality, for their best players (with the exception of course being Sidwell). The bluenose element could stand in the way though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,323 ✭✭✭Savman

I remember Milner having decent delivery, which to this Villa side is a far more important asset than blistering pace. He's also good with both feet IIRC so him and Young swapping wings would be a nice thing to behold.

Also I don't see any problem with having both Milner and SWP.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,951 ✭✭✭✭Villain

I can see MON spending 8 to 10 million on Milner quicker than spending it on someone from a different league i.e. Spain or Portugal

• Advertisement

shoutman wrote: »
    Also I don't see any problem with having both Milner and SWP.
    Ah, realism sets in :pac::pac:

I really dont see why every couple of days people on here say SWP can be got for 10m... where exactley did you get that figure some rag linking him ages ago to a move that never materialised? and did Scolari not say he was in his plans? he seems happy to me at Chelsea and actually plays more games than people think, although most of them are from the bench. If we signed him it would be great but i dont expect it and its def not as easy as we can get him for 10-12m

Here's some interesting SWP-related goss...seems Pompey are done with any big money signings:
    http://www.skysports.com/story/0,19528,11661_3975343,00.html
    Portsmouth chief executive Peter Storrie has revealed that the club are unlikely to make another major signing before the end of the transfer window.

• Registered Users Posts: 857 ✭✭✭wynters

It all really hinges on whether or not Chelsea can get Robinho and/or Kaka. That would make it 8 or 9 top class midfielders in the one team... SWP would really have to look at how many games he'd get in that situation.

wynters wrote: »
    It all really hinges on whether or not Chelsea can get Robinho and/or Kaka. That would make it 8 or 9 top class midfielders in the one team... SWP would really have to look at how many games he'd get in that situation.

Or he may just be content with picking up his big fat pay cheque each week.

Esse85 wrote: »
    Or he may just be content with picking up his big fat pay cheque each week.
    I think he is tbh.

Yea but give him a year and maybe he will see that he is potentially wasting his career. Look at Sidwell for example (I know he got compensation for ending his contract but still).

So any dubliners heading into Murrays for the match tommorrow?
    I'll be the one wearing the Barry Jersey from two years ago.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,013 ✭✭✭✭eirebhoy

I'm hoping Villa sign Cole, Milner or any other wide player so O'Neill will let Maloney back to Celtic.

i was just on the avfc blog and saw this link, 3 minutes in, i still get goosebumps http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kikbNrJnyC4:eek:

The atmosphere and the excitement of it all, i just hope we can go on a good run in europe:P

• Advertisement

If we did get Milner/Cole/SWP/Kaka/Whoever then losing Maloney wouldn't be a huge issue I don't think.

I stand by what I always said about Maloney, if he quits for Celtic he may never get another crack at the PL. Big big season for him.

Esse85 wrote: »
    i was just on the avfc blog and saw this link, 3 minutes in, i still get goosebumps http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kikbNrJnyC4:eek:

The atmosphere and the excitement of it all, i just hope we can go on a good run in europe:P

hah that nelson lad brings back memories.

Collymore's goal reminds me of Barry's goal vs spurs two years ago.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,452 ✭✭✭Time Magazine

shoutman wrote: »
    So any dubliners heading into Murrays for the match tommorrow?
    I'll be the one wearing the Barry Jersey from two years ago.

I'll be in Murrary's tomorrow, but I'm a Kildare man :P

Murray's is two minutes from where I work so I might stay on a bit late and head straight after work. Will probably be there at about 6.30 or so. I'd PM you my number and stuff but all the lads are very friendly and welcoming to anyone in a Villa shirt so there's no need!

I will introduce myself though, what's your first name?

So, Central defence eh? Pretty sorted there. But who will start? Obviously Laursen, but do people expect Cuellar or Davies to partner him? Obviously Cuellar is older and more experince. TBH I don't know too much about him, but he seems to be highly rated, like Davies, which is why I'm asking I guess.

Fingers crossed.
    Aston Villa have made a £9m bid for Newcastle United winger James Milner. (Daily Mail)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,335 ✭✭✭death1234567

eirebhoy wrote: »
    so O'Neill will let Maloney back to Celtic.
    Maloney will not be leaving villa until next summer at the earliest.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,074 ✭✭✭rgiller

So, Barry has made himself available for the UEFA cup game tonight and will probably start, putting him out of contention for any group stage champions league games. There's two possible reasons for this:

1. His price will drop if he's cup tied and the scousers might be able to afford him then. They will be expecting to make it through the group stage CL without him so it wouldn't be such a big deal.

2. He's giving up on the move, maybe seeing the signings coming in and thinking Villa are ambitious and have the money and manager to act on that ambition.

It's still not wrapped up...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,420 ✭✭✭Doodee

Murry's you say??

I'm half tempted to go, but means waiting around after work.

Carew has signed an extention to his contract which now runs to 2011

Is there any way of watching the match through sky digital, im aware its on ch5, can this be tuned in or will i be forced to watch it through a live stream??

I'm resigned to the pokey sopcast stream :(

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement