Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Aston Villa Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,246 ✭✭✭Esse85

It looks like i could be too:mad:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,951 ✭✭✭✭Villain

Its on Channel 5 isn't it? Can you view that online

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,879 Mod ✭✭✭✭Bounty Hunter

im going the stream route too atm im looking at http://www.justin.tv/psn_2 it can go fullscreen and is currently showing mexican ESPN and is smooth but according to livefooty.doctor-serv.com it will show the Villa game when its on

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,323 ✭✭✭Savman

im going the stream route too atm im looking at http://www.justin.tv/psn_2 it can go fullscreen and is currently showing mexican ESPN and is smooth but according to livefooty.doctor-serv.com it will show the Villa game when its on
    seems to be bit better than the usual offerings alright.

Oh, btw, COME ON THE VILLA! :D:D

Come one Villa and come on Gaz Baz

So, Central defence eh? Pretty sorted there. But who will start? Obviously Laursen, but do people expect Cuellar or Davies to partner him? Obviously Cuellar is older and more experince. TBH I don't know too much about him, but he seems to be highly rated, like Davies, which is why I'm asking I guess.

its a welcome headache of course for O'Neil and one i didnt expect as I honestly thought we would sign a younger player who would be happy to bide his time before replacing Laursen as Davies's partner i.e Kaboul... this most certainly wont be what "The King" (who is a far better signing than Kaboul) will want.

My guess would be that if Davies is 100% fitness wise he might start the season with the great dane in CD while Carlos adjusts to the club and his teammates but the second he gets a chance Cuelllar will cement his place as a 1st teamer. However, there should be more rotation this season with Laursen prob not taking part (being rested) in the Carling cup and against lesser European and Fa cup opponents IMO.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,792 ✭✭✭✭JPA

VILLA: Friedel, Gardner, Shorey, Laursen, Davies, Reo-Coker, Petrov, Barry, Young, Agbonlahor, Harewood. Subs: Taylor, Osbourne, Delfouneso, Knight, Salifou, Routledge, Baker.

guess Carew's ankle isnt a 100% and its better to rest him than risk him missing the Premiership opener.

Villain wrote: »
    come on Gaz Baz
    :confused:

guess Carew's ankle isnt a 100% and its better to rest him than risk him missing the Premiership opener.
    OS is saying calf strain

• Advertisement

Savman wrote: »

I hope he gets a great reception, although itl be hard to tell as its away and I cant imagine there being huge numbers travelling. He is a Villa player and that IMO is not going to change this window.

Carew: strange i saw reports saying that he finished training yesterday despite some pain form a twisted ankle, though im sure the OS is right,. Hopefully its just a precationary measure and he will be fine to start the Prem season.

He's still our player and I think a big game from him will help us

I'm certainly behind Barry. A new contract around the corner I reckon.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,013 ✭✭✭✭eirebhoy

Maloney will not be leaving villa until next summer at the earliest.
    I bet he signs for Celtic in this window! ;) I bet he doesn't even make the bench for tonights game.

/edit just saw the line up above. :D Seriously I didn't see it before posting. A guy on a Celtic forum seems to know everything going on with Maloney and he says he'll be joining us. He said earlier today that he won't be playing tonight.

I have nothing against Maloney but he won't be missed.

JPA wrote: »
    I have nothing against Maloney but he won't be missed.
    Of course he won't because he's hardly played for Villa. :) Very average striker and right winger. A class left sided midfielder but wasn't going to get much chance there with Young in constant good form. I'd still have him at least on par with McGeady atm.

Carew's absence highlights for me Villa's need for another striker. I know its only FH but he is injury prone and as much as we all like Harewood i dont want Harewood and Gabby as our strikeforce for any extended period this season not if we are to push on and improve again this season.

eirebhoy wrote: »
    I bet he signs for Celtic in this window! ;) I bet he doesn't even make the bench for tonights game.

/edit just saw the line up above. :D Seriously I didn't see it before posting. A guy on a Celtic forum seems to know everything going on with Maloney and he says he'll be joining us. He said earlier today that he won't be playing tonight.
    ROFL! Maloney was never gonna be playing tonight unless there was an injury crisis, if your 'source' is using Maloney's absence from the squad as an indication of a pending move to Celtic then Shaun will be Celtic bound every week of the season :D

Carew's absence highlights for me Villa's need for another striker. I know its only FH but he is injury prone and as much as we all like Harewood i dont want Harewood and Gabby as our strikeforce for any extended period this season not if we are to push on and improve again this season.
    Top level strikers dont grow on trees...they are a notoriously difficult breed to find and all the good ones usually have all the top clubs tailing them.

• Advertisement

ROFL! Maloney was never gonna be playing tonight unless there was an injury crisis, if your 'source' is using Maloney's absence from the squad as an indication of a pending move to Celtic then Shaun will be Celtic bound every week of the season :D

Well if he can't get on that bench something maybe up.

Villain wrote: »
    He's still our player and I think a big game from him will help us
    Absolutely, but he's got a long way to go before he'll undo the damage he's done mouthing off about O'Neill like that.

The fact that he is only staying because Liverpool never came up with the money and not because it was his decision doesn't leave a very good taste in my mouth tbh. Yes he's a model pro yadda yadda yadda but it's not exactly an ideal situation.

Well if he can't get on that bench something maybe up.
    You must not have watched any games last season. Maloney rarely made the bench.

Maloney's much better than anyone on that bench plus Petrov, Agbon and Harewood imo but that's not the point.

Just a little insight on this "source". A Celtic website put a list of 20 most influential Tims for 2008. It's just a little oscar ceremony for Celtic fans on all the well known internet forum. At 15:
    15. (NE) M1K3Y89 – KDS. Ever since Celtic started to hunt down and kneecap any member of staff who leaked news of transfer targets good quality inside info has been hard to come by. In this close season in particular Celtic fans have pounced on any rumour that comes along like a police dog on an “innocent” hun. If in the kingdom of the blind the one eyed man is king then in the Celtic internet arena M1K3Y89 is whatever is higher than a king. An ace? (Why do I feel like I’ve walked onto the set of “Play your cards
    right”?) The reason for this is quite simple. M1K3Y89 has a fantastic record when it comes to rumours. He very rarely if ever calls it wrong and his reputation has spread across forums as someone who should be listened to when the gossiping starts.

He was the first to tell about Boruc's new contract and apparently he's never got anything wrong.

Anyway, at 4.41pm he wrote:
    "Just to let you all know if Shaun does play tonight in Villa's game it will NOT ko the deal to bring him back to Celtic Park. Yes it will be frustrating for both Celtic and Shaun but the deal will still go ahead... "

And then at 5.05pm:
    " Just got another call, Shaun wont be cup-tied as he wont be on the park tonight wink.gif "

His record says he's doesn't make things up and I don't think the team was out in the public at that time. We'll see by the end of the window but my guess is he'll be at Celtic once Villa sign a wide player.

a lot of links for the game here if things dont work out with whatever your trying or the other one i posted.

http://www.myp2p.eu/broadcast.php?matchid=16428&part=sports

Maloney's much better than anyone on that bench but that's not the point.
    Undoubtedly he is but only in his potential.
    eirebhoy wrote:
    We'll see by the end of the window but my guess is he'll be at Celtic once Villa sign a wide player.
    Ah now you're talking a different language. If we do get a proper winger, nobody would shed a tear at Maloney leaving. Hell I'm sure the Villa fans would give him a helluva send off but he would be forever remembered as a wasted talent who couldn't hack it at the top level.

• Advertisement

You must not have watched any games last season. Maloney rarely made the bench.

Ha. It's a 7 man bench and a very weak one at that.

Ha. It's a 7 man bench and a very weak one at that.
    And...? I'm not saying Maloney's not a great talent nor am I suggesting he'll last much longer at VP with that cloud over his head, but the guy has had his chance and flopped. So you miss your old Glasgow buddies, boo frickin' hoo. Petrov wasn't afforded the luxury of sympathetic fans, he was tore a new asshole regularly.

Poor Shaun me arse!

Maloney wont be missed if he leaves, his name will be added to the list of flops who previously taught they could shine in the superior english premier league e.g
    Hutton, Miller, Boumsong, Van Bronckhorst, Amoruso, Ferguson, Petrov

It'll be interesting to see what kind of a fee being requested, although i can see a loan deal being agreed to initially.

Esse85 wrote: »
    Maloney wont be missed if he leaves, his name will be added to the list of flops who previously taught they could shine in the superior english premier league e.g
    Hutton, Miller, Boumsong, Van Bronckhorst, Amoruso, Ferguson, Petrov

It'll be interesting to see what kind of a fee being requested, although i can see a loan deal being agreed to initially.

I hope a Spurs fan doesn't see that!

were bound to make a profit on him if he does leave though considering he only cost 1m. Wouldnt sell him myself though if he wants out and we sign someone like Milner who like Maloney is also very veratile and would get in the first XI then i dont mind him going back to Scotland.

• Advertisement

we sign someone like Milner who like Maloney is also very veratile
    :eek:
    Which Maloney are we talkin about?

Undoubtedly he is but only in his potential.
    He's 25, not much potential to be got for his type of player at that age. He's class right now. It's unfortunate that Villa fans haven't had a chance to see that. What you're seeing now is the Shaun Maloney that played for Celtic under O'Neill. The one he thinks is a striker. Strachan found his best position. He has a great brain, his link up is superb, he's pacy, he's an excellent goalscorer from out wide, sets up tons, can take a good freekick, tracks back as much as any wide player.

He probably started about 5 games on the left for Villa since he joined.

The one time I saw him play for Villa that I thought he was poor was on the right wing. Nothing about his game is made for the right wing. It's all about coming inside, linking up, playing through balls, taking shots.

O'Neill has got it badly wrong with Maloney.

versatile.. he can play all AM midfield positions and upfront, milner can also play all AM positions

Well there ye go. Barry just scored. woo :)

Fantastico from Young. 2-0

Esse85 wrote: »
    Miller
    :D An absolute flop at Celtic and Rangers who goes to Derby and left with his reputation much, much higher.

van Bronckhorst, Amoruso, Petrov and Boumsong all proved themselves outside of Britain (La Liga, Serie A, international, French League).

Larsson, Gattuso, Niemi, van Hooijdonk, Tugay, Di Canio, Viduka, Reyna, Mjallby, Arteta... and many more all succesfully moved from the SPL

Jarosik, Gravesen, Miller, Sionko, Juninho, Henchoz, Fanfan, Rodriguez, Bernard, Letizi, Kyrgiakos, Buffel, Arteta, Flo, Capucho... all pretty much flopped in the SPL.

Right feck Maloney for the moment. Game on, superb goal from Ashley he's absolutely destroying them so far, involved in both goals.

good stuff so far, what stream are people watching mine stayed as mexican tv

Sopcast working for me. English commentary too :)

If you have Sopcast click this and it should open. sop://broker.sopcast.com:3912/6099

• Advertisement

He was the first to tell about Boruc's new contract and apparently he's never got anything wrong.

Anyway, at 4.41pm he wrote:
    "Just to let you all know if Shaun does play tonight in Villa's game it will NOT ko the deal to bring him back to Celtic Park. Yes it will be frustrating for both Celtic and Shaun but the deal will still go ahead... "

And then at 5.05pm:
    " Just got another call, Shaun wont be cup-tied as he wont be on the park tonight wink.gif "

His record says he's doesn't make things up and I don't think the team was out in the public at that time. We'll see by the end of the window but my guess is he'll be at Celtic once Villa sign a wide player.
    And another...

06:34 PM tonight:
    "Good news - another signing...dont know anything about his ability"

A half hour later and this breaking news pops up:
    http://www.walesonline.co.uk/footballnation/cardiff-city-fc/2008/08/14/breaking-news-loovens-joins-celtic-91466-21536549/

• Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 9,050 Mod ✭✭✭✭Aquos76

I thought there was meant to be no discussing of competitive matches within the talk/gossip/rumours thread.

I guess its now almost certain that Barry will not now be going to liverpool

And another...

06:34 PM tonight:
    "Good news - another signing...dont know anything about his ability"

A half hour later and this breaking news pops up:
    http://www.walesonline.co.uk/footballnation/cardiff-city-fc/2008/08/14/breaking-news-loovens-joins-celtic-91466-21536549/

Dude how is that even remotely related to Villa?

just trying to show how accurate the source on maloney is i guess

just trying to show how accurate the source on maloney is i guess
    To be honest on tonight's showing I wouldn't be surprised if Maloney was told he's surplus to requirements, regardless whether a replacement is brought in. From what I've seen, Routledge possesses all the heart Maloney doesn't even if he's not on the same level of ability.

yeah Routledge did well while he was on the pitch, i expect us to play 4-3-1-2 unless a RM is signed but if we need to go 4-4-2 id have no problem with Wayne filling the RM position if he can keep his pre-season form up.

Anyway 4-1 was an excellent result away from home. Four away goals makes the return leg something of a formality, I'd expect to see a second string side and MON rest players for the Liverpool game 3 days later.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,661 ✭✭✭✭Helix

hope to see fonzy starting in a fortnight

Helix wrote: »
    hope to see fonzy starting in a fortnight

i second that and would like to see something like

......................Guzan

Gardner...Knight..Davies/Cuellar...Baker

Routledge...Osbourne...Petrov...Maloney (if hes still here)

.............The Fonz....The Hare

with some big names on the bench just incase

i.e Friedel, Shorey, Laursen, Barry, NRC, Young, Agbonlahor

• Advertisement

The commentator on Sopcast hadn't a clue tonight, quotes such as "laurson is not known for his goalscoring abilities", "salifou is a striker" and "agbonlahor is not effective with his head" all left me thinking what rubbish:rolleyes:

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement