Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Aston Villa Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,951 ✭✭✭✭Villain

Good win and great to see Gaz on the scoresheet, I think a right winger and we have a pretty complete team, perhaps a striker but can't see us getting both.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,323 ✭✭✭Savman

Esse85 wrote: »
    The commentator on Sopcast hadn't a clue tonight, quotes such as "laurson is not known for his goalscoring abilities", "salifou is a striker" and "agbonlahor is not effective with his head" all left me thinking what rubbish:rolleyes:
    Yeah but at least they were speaking english ;)

Interesting....
    Skysports.com understands Aston Villa have tabled an offer for Newcastle winger James Milner.
    Villa boss Martin O'Neill is keen to lure the England Under 21 international away from St James' Park and has now firmed up his interest with a big-money offer.
    http://www.skysports.com/story/0,19528,11677_3980883,00.html

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,879 Mod ✭✭✭✭Bounty Hunter

Savman wrote: »

good stuff, Martin has got a taste for this transfer business now hope it succeeds. good chance with him not playing much under Keegan last year and Newcastyle having since signed their Spiderman.

• Registered Users Posts: 231 ✭✭DarenO

Sopcast working for me. English commentary too :)

Savman

Just got Sopcast, can you give me a quick run through of how it works for future reference, pm me if necessary

Thanks in advance
    Darren

PS excellent result as these ties can be banana skins, sets us up for the return leg without any pressure, can wait to see how we do against City, given the off-field turmoil.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,792 ✭✭✭✭JPA

Esse85 wrote: »
    The commentator on Sopcast hadn't a clue tonight, quotes such as "laurson is not known for his goalscoring abilities", "salifou is a striker" and "agbonlahor is not effective with his head" all left me thinking what rubbish:rolleyes:

Did you hear when he started going on about Bouma being a centre half and now Davies or Knight will have their chance since he's injured?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,246 ✭✭✭Esse85

JPA wrote: »
    Did you hear when he started going on about Bouma being a centre half and now Davies or Knight will have their chance since he's injured?

I missed that line, probably just aswel:P

Id say we could sign Milner for £8-10m, it would be another steady signing and one which would add another piece to the jigsaw puzzle. If we do sign him, i know im being greedy but id like another RB as cover, and a decent striker, because if Carew gets injured i dont fancy the idea of Harewood starting.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,154 ✭✭✭✭Neil3030

Routledge looks more than adequate back-up should we sign Milner. If anything we need cover on the left as Young can hardly be expected to be doing the business for 60+ games.

well if he doesent leave Maloney is perfect cover for LM but unfortunatley Milners arrival could signal Shauns exit should it happen.

Neil3030 wrote: »
    Routledge looks more than adequate back-up should we sign Milner. If anything we need cover on the left as Young can hardly be expected to be doing the business for 60+ games.

Well IF we sign Milner, he can play there too, as can Barry/Maloney if we keep them.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,391 ✭✭✭One Cold Hand

Big John signs a 12 month extension to his contract. Link.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,299 ✭✭✭villains77

to all villains the match vs man city is being shown in murrays on o'connell street on sunday a load of us villains were there tonight and the bar man said to me and a mate that they were showing the villa game after the turn out tonight. see you all there , villa for the final of eufa cup lol

Anyone see the game last night?......just wondering how Shorey played?

Linked with Doyle this morning:
    Aston Villa are willing to pay £7m to sign Reading striker Kevin Doyle - but the Championship club is demanding £8m. (The Times)

I don't know if 'willing to pay' means we have made a bid for him or not, but if there's only 1mil in the difference between what we're willing to pay and what Reading want, then I can see it happening.
    Not so sure about Doyle. Definately a good squad player. He scored a good few goals in a pretty poor Reading team, so you'd never know, might score more in a better team.
    O'Neill is loving the reading players, maybe we can change our name to Aston Reading!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,617 ✭✭✭✭PHB

Doyle would give you another option on the bench, but can't say he'll improve Villa massively.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,452 ✭✭✭Time Magazine

Anyone see the game last night?......just wondering how Shorey played?

Fairy crap. Had one or two Zat Knight moments.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,074 ✭✭✭rgiller

If you thought Robbie Keane signing for Liverpool for £20m was funny, Doyle signing for us would be just as bad. Overrated striker who will propably be lower than Carew, Gabby and Harewood in the pecking order

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,335 ✭✭✭death1234567

£7m to sign Reading striker Kevin Doyle ??? THat's waaayyyy too much for him. He's worth £3-£4m tops.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,732 ✭✭✭✭Boggles

Doyle would be a worthy squad striker. He gives 100% every time, even last season when things didn't go too well, a huge chunk of blame goes to Kitson, I have never seen a greedier striker, it was frustrating to watch the few times I saw Reading play in full last season.

If Kitson is worth 5.5 million, Doyle is easily at least that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,661 ✭✭✭✭Helix

rgiller wrote: »
    If you thought Robbie Keane signing for Liverpool for £20m was funny, Doyle signing for us would be just as bad. Overrated striker who will propably be lower than Carew, Gabby and Harewood in the pecking order

hes better than gabby right now, and he offers something different to the options we already have

for £8m hes worth a punt

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,074 ✭✭✭rgiller

Helix wrote: »
    hes better than gabby right now, and he offers something different to the options we already have

for £8m hes worth a punt

You must be joking me, take off those green tinted specs. He got a lot of attention because he's Irish, but he's not a great striker and not European quality

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,335 ✭✭✭death1234567

hes better than gabby right now
    :eek: What a load of rubbish. He's a distinctly average stiker with no outstanding attribute. eg. pace, height, creativity.

Gabby is twice as good as Doyle.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,154 ✭✭✭✭Neil3030

Harewood was, in my mind, found out last night as being largely (no pun intended) a decent impact sub and nothing more. If MON is sticking with Gabby and Carew as his first choice strikers, we need a decent option as a 90 minute backup. For this role, we're not going to do much better than Doyle as I can't see strikers of any higher a calibre being happy as a squaddie.

In an ideal world though, MON'd go after RSC or Ashton and relegate Gabby to a squad role until he gets his finger out.

Gabby has signed a new 4 year contract too.

Id rather see MON sign a player who will really threaten to take gabby's place, not a player who's just happy to be back up. Harewood lacks the quality needed, Doyle could be ok, but not at £8m

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,951 ✭✭✭DSB

I love Gabby. Hope he stays with us for his whole career. But I would like to see another striker with similar attributes come in to challenge him.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 930 ✭✭✭Hero Of College

DSB wrote: »
    I love Gabby. Hope he stays with us for his whole career. But I would like to see another striker with similar attributes come in to challenge him.

I think thats why Benitez signed Keane and Babel. Means Torres gets on his toes and stays there.

If I was Villa I'd flog Barry and lump in a £20m bid for RSC.

I think thats why Benitez signed Keane and Babel. Means Torres gets on his toes and stays there.

Or keep Barry and still bid £20 million! :)

Santa Cruz isn't worth more than Barry. Even though he does come from a position which traditionally warrants higher prices. He only really has one good premiership season behind him. Wouldn't want Villa to pay more than 10 million for him. I'd definitely take Doyle, Milner and another player of similar quality for a total of 20 million than a player like Santa Cruz. I've no problem with Villa spending 20 million on a player but it'd have to be on someone of a much higher quality than Santa Cruz.

Or keep Barry and still bid £20 million! :)

With what??:pac:

• Advertisement

With 20 million of Randy Lerner's cash. Duh.

Keep up eh?
    I wouldn't mind spending £20 million on Santa Cruz.
    I wouldn't get caught up on the price we pay for players.

Santa Cruz isn't worth more than Barry. Even though he does come from a position which traditionally warrants higher prices. He only really has one good premiership season behind him. Wouldn't want Villa to pay more than 10 million for him. I'd definitely take Doyle, Milner and another player of similar quality for a total of 20 million than a player like Santa Cruz. I've no problem with Villa spending 20 million on a player but it'd have to be on someone of a much higher quality than Santa Cruz.

Santa Cruz is worth £20m cos thats the asking price for any striker these days who can hit goals for fun in England. If Bentt was £16m then RSC is £20.

Fernando Torres didn't even have 1 good La Liga season behind him. Stump up, stump up.

You are not getting RSC for anything less than £20m. £10m is just enough of a joke. Apparently B'Burn already rejected an offer of £12m.

Adebayor is staying at Arsenal. Keane and Torres at Liverpool. Who does that leave? Drogba....he's not moving. At least not to Villa.:P Try RSC he's as good as what you need and is actually there for the taking, because he really doesn't owe B'Burn anything.

Hey, a post not to trying to rile us up?! thanks!

What??? Not riling anyone. If Barry is £18m, then RSC, who I think was 3rd in the scoring charts, is £20m. I'd pay it. I'd sooner have had RSC than Keane.

O I see now. Thanks.:P

• Advertisement

A player like Santa Cruz would be the difference between Villa being a good side and a great side.

A player like Santa Cruz would be the difference between Villa being a good side and a great side.

Ya maybe, if we signed him I wouldn't think "ooh, £20 million, big risk", I'd think "ooh Santa Cruz, excellent player".

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,221 ✭✭✭Davey Devil

Fernando Torres didn't even have 1 good La Liga season behind him. Stump up, stump up.

Torres had three good seasons with a fairly average Atletico Madrid before he moved to Liverpool as well as being Spain's top scorer in qualifying for WC 2006.
    Try RSC he's as good as what you need and is actually there for the taking, because he really doesn't owe B'Burn anything.

Why do you talk to us like we make the decisions? This isn't the fantasy football thread.

rgiller wrote: »
    You must be joking me, take off those green tinted specs. He got a lot of attention because he's Irish, but he's not a great striker and not European quality

lol, green tinted specs. i have very little allegiance to nationalities, and i hate the international game. what country hes from has zero bearing on anything to me.
    :eek: What a load of rubbish. He's a distinctly average stiker with no outstanding attribute. eg. pace, height, creativity.

Gabby is twice as good as Doyle.

gabby gets his head down, runs, and never lifts it. 9 times out of 10 he runs straight into the defender and loses possession. he has no touch, doesnt have a particularly bright footballing mind, and is a greedy bugger

hes great against teams who sit up the pitch, that is not in question. when teams play deep you may as well play a bar of soap as gabby agbonlahor in his current, rough around the edges, form

id rather a striker with different attributes so that we could have more options instead of replacing pace with pace

is this guy for real?

does he not realise we're the top net spenders in world football this summer, with more players on the way?

• Advertisement

is this guy for real?

does he not realise we're the top net spenders in world football this summer, with more players on the way?
    Ok you're gonna have to back that up, cos I find it impossible to believe.

£32.5m net spend this summer

nobody comes close, everyone whos spent big has brought in big money from sales, spurs and milan being the 2 biggest spenders, but whove both made tonnes back

Quickly working it out ( I may missed someone) Barca have spent over £40 million net.

£32.5m net spend this summer

nobody comes close, everyone whos spent big has brought in big money from sales, spurs and milan being the 2 biggest spenders, but whove both made tonnes back
    Pfft. Your little stat would get blown out of the water if/when Robinho's move to Chelsea goes ahead, that'll be in or around £30m itself. No idea what any of this proves anyway.

The only reason we're aren't raising cash from sales is because we can't sell. Hardly a position of strength when you're comparing us to the Real Madrid's and Barcelona's of this world.

you might have missed an out there, i didnt do barca meself, a barca following mate did, reckoned they were around £28m net

thats not to say hes right tho

Pfft. Your little stat would get blown out of the water if/when Robinho's move to Chelsea goes ahead, that'll be in or around £30m itself. No idea what any of this proves anyway.

The only reason we're aren't raising cash from sales is because we can't sell. Hardly a position of strength when you're comparing us to the Real Madrid's and Barcelona's of this world.

look at previous windows we couldnt really afford to offload and still did tho

its definite progress from past messes, another 2 players in as id expect, would have us up around £50m net

and chelsea will likely offload more

you might have missed an out there, i didnt do barca meself, a barca following mate did, reckoned they were around £28m net

thats not to say hes right tho

Missed Dos Santos actually, bringing it down to around 35 mill.

edit: Missed Zambrotta too.:o

You could actually be right. :eek:

Doyle id rate (in todays market) at around 7m. I like him as a player and would not mind him signing for Villa but despite the fact that its not my money or MON's money (and hes now acting that way) I wouldent like us to pay over the odds for him as id only see him as a rotation player.

RSQ did have a great year last season but there is the fear that it was just one season in a team built around him in attack. He moved for 3.5m last year which may have been a bargain but 20m I think is too much again maybe 15m but honestly im not sure if he is going anywhere afterall Blackburn just signed Roques brother.

the sigings of Milner (or another similar quality RM/W) and a player like Doyle or RSQ would mean a very good summers business by Aston Villa and would leave us in a very good position for both the Premiership and an assault on the Uefa IMO.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,983 ✭✭✭leninbenjamin

You could actually be right. :eek:

scary isn't it? :(

i'm surprised some people are so against Doyle, I think he'd be a very valuable addition to the squad and would keep Carew and Gabby on their toes. at £8m i think he'd represent much better value than Roque Santa Cruz at nearer £20m.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,372 ✭✭✭✭Mr Alan

so what happens IF the biggest spending club in Europe dont make the CL, or even Europe? sack the manager? sell the players?.....all the fun is ahead of you lads :D;)

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement