Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Aston Villa Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,219 ✭✭✭invincibleirish

shoutman wrote: »
    I think that midfield alone wont get us top six next year, our defence and keeping issues really need to be sorted out.

Surely Guzan and/or Friedel will be solving the GK issue whilst admittedly cover for CB & a new RB havent yet arrived, surely they'll arrive before the end of the summer.

imo Bentley wont join anyway but thats because we are so used to Villa not usually competing for these kind of signings, heres hoping thats about to change.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,661 ✭✭✭✭Helix

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055335516

villa tickets and travel thread if anyones interested. might come in handy

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,315 ✭✭✭Tomthepost

Im still about. Just checking:)
    I would welcome Barry back with open arms. Lets not forget the great servant that he has been.

Lincoln City 3-1 Aston Villa (Carew), this doesnt deserve its own thread does it?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,391 ✭✭✭One Cold Hand

Well I certainly don't want to talk about it!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 657 ✭✭✭tomred1

Has MON said Laursen will be captain now? If Barry stays i do feel it should go to Laursen anyway.

barry wont get a sniff of the captaincy again, itll be nrc and laursen, not sure which order tho

laursen for me this season anyway coz hes the older, more experienced head

• Registered Users Posts: 857 ✭✭✭wynters

Remember that season a few years back when Gerrard going to Chelsea was all but done... then, for whatever reason(s) the move never materialized...??? He's still a God at Liverpool...

(Actually, did Gerrard ever actually come out and SAY he wanted to go to Chelsea that time???)

I think a player's application on the pitch matters more to fans, so IF!! he does end up staying, and he puts in the effort and the performances like he always has, I can't see any issues with him from fans. No-one wanted him to go in the first place, and if local papers are to believed he seriously regrets doing that NOTW interview.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,074 ✭✭✭rgiller

Barry has burned his bridges with the Villa faithful in the short term but if he is to stick around for another season i wouldnt be too concerned so long as he is playing well and not plodding around the place.

If Barry stays I doubt we'll see him sulking around the pitch, making a half arsed effort cos he didn't get his move. For his own benefit he'll need to play his socks off to win back the crowd and retain the attention of his admirers. From Villa's point of view, as one of our most saleable assets, we're not going to leave him rotting on the bench/reserves until he's worthless when teh next window comes around.

Personally I'd be happy for him to stay. He's too professional to let all this affect his performances. Bentley in as well would be nice though!

• Advertisement

its up to barry to win back the fans. we all know hes a great player, but he has to change the fans perception that hes also a cnut

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,698 ✭✭✭IrishMike

Helix wrote: »
    its up to barry to win back the fans. we all know hes a great player, but he has to change the fans perception that hes also a cnut

A **** for wanting to move to a club that could offer him a chance to play in the CL?
    Are you for real?
    Villa fans should be shouting for joy if he stays, he is the best player the club
    have had in 10 years if not more.
    He owes Villa nothing at this stage and if he feels the club are not willing to
    match his ambition its the manager/owner the fans should be pissed at not Barry

no a cnut for the notw interview, i have no problem with him wanting to leave and im still a huge fan of the bloke. im not speaking for myself, im speaking for the general perception of the chap from fans

the interview certainly tainted things with me, but ill always think the chaps a hero

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,617 ✭✭✭✭PHB

Sorry but Young is the best player in the club without a doubt

Can i ask a question Helix, what exactly did he say in that NOTW interview that
    made him such a ****?
    “My mind’s made up, I want to join Liverpool. There’s no going back, it’s time for me to move on. I’m desperate to play Champions League football and that’s why I have to leave Villa.

“I hope the Villa fans understand. I have given my all for the club for 10 years and I’m only leaving because now I need to test myself at the very highest level.

“And I can honestly say if Villa were in the Champions League I wouldn’t even consider leaving this great club.”

“Villa kept saying they wanted me to stay but I have not heard from the manager for weeks.

“The last time we spoke was just after England’s match in Trinidad at the start of June. And that’s it. It just made me think that he and the club were just saying one thing in public but were not really bothered at all about me in private.

“What other conclusion can you reach?

“It’s seven weeks now since the season finished but while the gaffer’s found time to be a pundit for the BBC at Euro 2008, he hasn’t found the time to speak to me. But Liverpool boss Rafa Benitez has shown how much he wants me at Anfield.

“I am obviously flattered that someone as successful as Rafa Benitez thinks so highly of me.

“And that he’s not been afraid to put his valuation of me in black and white for Villa and all the world to see.

“But have Villa offered me anything to try to persuade me my future is at Villa Park not Anfield? Not a thing.”

“The only conversation we have had was at a meeting towards the end of last season. Liverpool had already declared their interest so it was important we got together.

“The boss was there and so was the owner, Randy Lerner and they both told me they didn’t want me to go, but that was it.

“There was no offer of a new contract to prove how much the club valued me, no talk about players who were being brought in to boost the squad, not even a mention of a few possible targets.

“The club have contacted my advisor, Alex Black, a few times and told him that Martin O’Neill (right) had something important to tell me. They said that Martin was going to call me.

“But every time I was told to expect the call it never materialised. I found that hurtful and disrespectful.

“All that told me was that I was being messed around by my club and by my manager.

“If you say you are going to call then you should call.

“And if you say you want me to stay then you should prove it.

“Unfortunately, it’s now too late. It’s all pointless. I want to go and that’s it.”

If i was a villa fan and i read that i would be just as pissed off at MON as Barry tbh.
    He sought reassurances that the club would match his ambition and push on in the
    transfer market and he sought a new deal.
    Instead MON didnt even answer his phone calls and fined him 2 weeks wages.
    Am i missing something?

the very fact that he did the interview full stop

• Advertisement

..... Ok the fact that he did it because his manager basically blanked him for 6 weeks and
    backed him into a corner doesnt come into the equation at all then i take it?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,154 ✭✭✭✭Neil3030

Barry: I want to go to Liverpool
    MON: We don't want you to go
    Barry: I want to go.
    MON: Fair enough Liverpool meet your valuation, you can leave.

Weeks later to a national tabloid:

Barry: MON gave me no reassurances, or refused to match my ambition, and went off to cover the Euros instead of ringing me morning noon and night begging me to stay... and called my mam a name... and... and... and...

i dont think there was any blanking as such. they had a meeting, mon asked was barry dead set on going to liverpool and barry said yes. what more is there to do there? the player said he 100% wanted to leave and nothing would change his mind

the manager obviously believed him and took him on his word. what else was mon to do in that situation only accept his players decision? i dont really see what he couldve done, or why he shouldve been ringing barry regularly

Barry: Liverpool are interested in me but ill stay if ye can offer me assurances we are pushing for a CL place, a tournament i want to play in before i retire.
    MON: Reassurances? I have to be on the BBC in a few mins, can i give you a ring later and we can discuss this further?
    Barry: Sure.

1week later ....
    2weeks later ....
    3weeks later ....
    4weeks later ....
    5weeks later ....
    etc
    Barry:Obviously Villa dont want me :D

Just so you know this is every bit as plausable as other interpretations of the events

you mean the interpretation that has been confirmed by mon and barry? the interpretation that there was a meeting, barry said he wanted to leave, mon accepted it and that was that?

there was no "ill stay if..." from barry

• Advertisement

How's this for 'plausible' so:

MON: He's our captain, an England regular, possible captain even, and given the message his leaving could send to our young squad which is hell-bent on making the step up to the next level, he's easily worth 18m to us.
    RB: Here's a bunch of players gathering dust in our club's reserves?
    MON: 18m
    RB: or 13m?
    RB: ok, ok, how about 15m?
    RB: 15m and Finnan?
    RB (VIA GERRARD): Sigh... Gareth be a good little boy and speak to this nice man from the News of the World, will you?

Liverpool fans: OH MY GOD MON YOU SELFISH TOSSER, YOU'RE BACKING BARRY INTO A CORNER AND BLOCKING HIS DREAM MAN, HIS DREAM!! HOW COULD MON BE SUCH A PRICK?? OH MY GOD DON'T YOU REALISE WE ARE LIVERPOOL?? AS IN, LIVERPOOL FC?? WE WON THE CHAMPION'S LEAGUE MAN, AND LIKE A WHOLE BUNCH OF OTHER SH1T A GOOD WHILE AGO, HOW COULD YOU DO THIS, DO YOU NOT KNOW YOUR PLACE?? ACCEPT OUR INSULTING OFFERS YOU SELFISH SUCCESS ORIENTED MANAGER!!

:p

Neil3030 wrote: »
    How's this for 'plausible' so:

MON: He's our captain, an England regular, possible captain even, and given the message his his leaving could send to our young squad which is hell-bent on making the step up to the next level, he's easily worth 18m to us.
    RB: Here's a bunch of players gathering dust in our club's reserves?
    RB: or 13m?
    RB: ok, ok, how about 15m?
    RB: 15m and Finnan?
    MON: 18m?
    RB (VIA GERRARD): Gareth be a good little boy and speak to this nice man from the News of the World, will you?

Liverpool fans: OH MY GOD MON YOU SELFISH TOSSER, YOU'RE BACKING BARRY INTO A CORNER AND BLOCKING HIS DREAM MAN, HIS DREAM!! HOW COULD MON BE SUCH A PRICK?? OH MY GOD DON'T YOU REALISE WE ARE LIVERPOOL?? AS IN, LIVERPOOL FC?? WE WON THE CHAMPION'S LEAGUE MAN, AND LIKE A WHOLE BUNCH OF OTHER SH1T A GOOD WHILE AGO, HOW COULD YOU DO THIS, DO YOU NOT KNOW YOUR PLACE?? ACCEPT OUR INSULTING OFFERS YOU SELFISH SUCCESS ORIENTED MANAGER!!

:p

Lol i think we have the makings of a good novel in this :D

IrishMike wrote: »
    Lol i think we have the makings of a good novel in this :D

I dibs writing the Chapter MON and RB have a sword fight while Barry is tied up, slowly lowering into a shark tank!!

I dibs writing the Chapter MON and RB have a sword fight while Barry is tied up, slowly lowering into a shark tank!!

Im writing the scene where Barry ends up in the Playboy mansion with the
    russian female tennis team.
    May take the photos for that chapter too :D

Let me guess - Barry gets Pamela Anderson up to one of the bedrooms, and is about to live out another one of his dream, but in a sudden c0ck-blocking swoop, MON breaks through the window and forces him to have sex with Dawn French or face a fine of 2 weeks wages? :pac:

Fine fine you can write that chapter too :D:D

anyone from here going to the city match?

Nope. Only the InterToto so far planned this year. Might try get over for a game in the New Year.

• Registered Users Posts: 650 ✭✭✭spiderdan

I just wish this whole situation would be over with- 18m for Barry is amazing value for money, there are very few Pool mates of mine who want him for that price, if we get 17m run and hide, Barry is a very good player but there's no way he's worth MON valuation, I understand he's the captain etc but its only recently that he's broken into the England team, Sidwell for 5m now thats great business, I think too many Villa fans are placing too much of an importance on Barry, if we spend the money on Bentley, and buy a very good RB I'd be delighted, there's plenty of goals in this Villa team without Barry. Is there that much of a difference between Sidwell on top form and Barry? in saying this I wouldn't be disappointed if Barry stayed but who misses out? Reo Cocker?? IMO hes the reason behind Villas success- a quality DM player who's stabilized the team since his arrival. Anyway looking at the situation Barry's out of Villa Pk no matter what- banned from Training today by MON- Arsenal may pounce, although they've been linked with Alonso too- who lets face it is a better player for less! why Rafa wants to sell him for Barry I don't know- must be Stevie G going on about his mate all the time thats convinced him!!

Nope. Only the InterToto so far planned this year. Might try get over for a game in the New Year.

doin a dayer for the intertoto?

headin over on me todd for that so a few paddies on the same flight would be a bonus

• Advertisement

doin a dayer for the intertoto?

headin over on me todd for that so a few paddies on the same flight would be a bonus

I booked the flight back when it wasn't yet announced if the game was on the Saturday or the Sunday, so we're heading over Saturday morning, coming back Sunday evening.

I thin kwe're on the same flight as you going out though:-

Sat, 26Jul08 Flight FR 662 Depart DUB at 06:30 and arrive BHX at 07:35?

thats the one alrite

Aston Villa are close to a £2.5m deal for Blackburn Rovers keeper Brad Friedel and also remain in a good position to beat Spurs for Friedel's team-mate David Bentley (1508 BST, Birmingham Mail)

Looks like the Bentley deal may still be on the cards.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,951 ✭✭✭✭Villain

Now Friedel and Bentley would have me smiling in a big way, Friedel would be a huge signing imo.

No kidding, if we sign Bentley I'm going to ask the general what he, MON and Randy drink and sending them all a bottle.

friedel would be a better signing than bentley imo

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,323 ✭✭✭Savman

huh?

did i write it in spanish or something?

Well a GK is more needed then another winger so i guess Friedel would be a priority, but hey id be happy if both arrived at VP to keep each other company. keeping GB(even if he isnt playing) & recruiting Bentley ahead of Spurs enhances our prospects for the season whilst diminishing our rivals.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,326 ✭✭✭✭ctrl-alt-delete

A blackburn fan here, Friedel would be an amazing signing for Villa - i dont know why all the talk of him leaving has popped up for - Ince has said he wants him, and he does not want Robinson - which was the rumoured makeweight in the Bently deal from Spurs. the price being talked about with villa would be a bargain even with his age.

I think bentley will be leaving Blackburn, and if we get the money being talked about then id like to see him go. However, i wouldnt see a move to Villa as a step up for him, ok they have a financial backing, but they will not break the top 4 anytime soon - other than a move to one of the top 4, i cant see a reason for him moving.

A blackburn fan here, Friedel would be an amazing signing for Villa - i dont know why all the talk of him leaving has popped up for - Ince has said he wants him, and he does not want Robinson - which was the rumoured makeweight in the Bently deal.

I think bentley will be leaving Blackburn, and if we get the money being talked about then id like to see him go. However, i wouldnt see a move to Villa as a step up for him, ok they have a financial backing, but they will not break the top 4 anytime soon - other than a move to one of the top 4, i cant see a reason for him moving.

No offence but with Friedel/Bentley/RSQ all seemingly heading for the exit door at Ewood after Hughes and with less money then before (am i right in saying the trust who own Rovers have withdrawn some cash?) and the appointment of Ince means that BR appear to me to be in a period of consolidation at the moment, not ambition, which is why i think the mentioned players like Bentley are agitating for a move out of there.

A blackburn fan here, Friedel would be an amazing signing for Villa - i dont know why all the talk of him leaving has popped up for - Ince has said he wants him, and he does not want Robinson - which was the rumoured makeweight in the Bently deal from Spurs. the price being talked about with villa would be a bargain even with his age.

I half agree with you here. Certainly when Bentley began announcing his desire to leave there was nothing separating the clubs and it's actually quite likely Blackburn were ahead of Villa in the table at the time.

But you can't argue that with the departure of Hughes, the financial backing of Lerner and the unproven Ince now at the helm at Ewood, Villa offer more steady potential than Blackburn. Then if you add the MON factor and how he seems darn good at getting the most out of young English talent, particularly in terms of getting them into the National side.

Furthermore, if the top 4 aren't interested, it's down to Everton (don't have the money), Spurs (battling aswell for his sig), City (didn't he fall out with Hughes?) and ourselves.

No offence but with Friedel/Bentley/RSQ all seemingly heading for the exit door at Ewood after Hughes and with less money then before (am i right in saying the trust who own Rovers have withdrawn some cash?) and the appointment of Ince means that BR appear to me to be in a period of consolidation at the moment, not ambition, which is why i think the mentioned players like Bentley are agitating for a move out of there.

yeah of course Blackburn struggle financially, i know that, Walker only left so much in trust when he died, and that has to last forever, or until new owners take over, which there have been continued rumours about.

I would say that the plan at Blackburn is to develop players, or introduce them to the league - i.e Bentley and RSC, and to make a profit on them. I wouldnt mind seeing bentley go, especially if Blackburn get the 15 million or so being touted about.

I know there is huge ambition at Villa, a world class manager and financial resources, but if i think bentley would be as well off at Blackburn than Villa, as i said a move to one of the top 4 would be the only move up. i know Villa have european football, but it is the champions league Bentley is after, and i dont think Villa or any other team for that matter will gain one of those places ahead of the usual top 4 within the prime of bentleys career.

I half agree with you here. Certainly when Bentley began announcing his desire to leave there was nothing separating the clubs and it's actually quite likely Blackburn were ahead of Villa in the table at the time.

But you can't argue that with the departure of Hughes, the financial backing of Lerner and the unproven Ince now at the helm at Ewood, Villa offer more steady potential than Blackburn. Then if you add the MON factor and how he seems darn good at getting the most out of young English talent, particularly in terms of getting them into the National side.

Furthermore, if the top 4 aren't interested, it's down to Everton (don't have the money), Spurs (battling aswell for his sig), City (didn't he fall out with Hughes?) and ourselves.

bentley is already in the national team, he has gained that with his performances with Blackburn. the next step there is a regular spot ahead of Beckham - which i dont think is too far off, and which i think he could get while still at Blackburn.

In terms of outside the top 4 - if they are not interested i mean what is the point? he is not going to get champions league football at any of the clubs you have mentioned for a good few years.

Ince may be unproven, but so was Hughes when he signed bentley, blackburn took a chance on Hughes, as they are now doing with Ince.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,246 ✭✭✭Esse85

Short term yes, long term no.

• Advertisement

Its obvious Bentley is ambitious, of course the so called 'big 4' could have him if they wanted him and are willing to meet BRs price. But seeing as they are not in for him it makes sense he'll end up at White Hart Lane (most likely) or VP for the simple reason both clubs are are a step up from Blackburn in terms of spending power and ambition.

If Bentley does join Villa/Spurs and they dont qualify for the CL in a year or two then you can bet top dollar he'll agitate for a move again, especially if a CL club come in for him. but in fairness i expect Villa to be challenging for 4th in the next few years anyway so its a case of his ambition matching Villas?

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,879 Mod ✭✭✭✭Bounty Hunter

dunno if this is true (as i dont speak danish) but its being reported that Djemba Djemba has signed for Odense and will line up against Villa on saturday:eek:

http://spn.dk/fodbold/superliga/ob/article1392143.ece

barry was injured in training today

ahahah

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,879 Mod ✭✭✭✭Bounty Hunter

havent seen anyone mention the supposed interest in Downing here either

http://www.gazettelive.co.uk/boro-fc/boro-fc-news/2008/07/16/boro-boost-as-emnes-left-out-of-olympic-squad-84229-21350531/
    Stewart Downing has yet again been linked with a move away from Boro, with Aston Villa the latest club to allegedly covet the Middlesbrough-born midfielder.

The Gazette understands, however, that no bid has been received for the England winger, who has also been linked with Liverpool and, back in January, Spurs.

The latest speculation suggests Martin O’Neill will firm up his interst in Downing if, as expected, Gareth Barry joins Liverpool in an £18m deal.

Tellingly, however, in the West Midlands, the media believe O’Neill is happy with Ashley Young’s contribution on the left wing and desperately wants Blackburn’s David Bentley to slot in on the right.
    Aston Villa boss Martin O'Neill wants to sign Brad Friedel so he can make his debut in the UEFA Cup tie with Danish side Odense - but faces a race against time to agree the fee.

O'Neill has already made an opening offer for the American veteran and is set to go in again to clinch a £2.5million transfer before the deadline for the ties at midnight on Friday.

Rovers do not want to lose Friedel, 37, but they are struggling to compete with the huge package O'Neill is willing to give him to move on a three-year deal.

However, O'Neill is keen to tie the details up fast and Saturday's Intertoto Cup third round first leg in Denmark gives him a target.

Friedel is due to fly to Germany with Blackburn this afternoon, but could jet back if the fee is sorted out in the next couple of days.

O'Neill - backed by American owner Randy Lerner - is committed to pushing the Friedel deal through in a unique double swoop with the keeper's fellow countryman Brad Guzan.

Advertisement
    Guzan, 23, will join Villa subject to getting a work permit, but he will not be registered in time to face Odense and O'Neill does not want to go into those games with just Stuart Taylor.

The Villa manager is also considering a bid for Middlesbrough winger Stewart Downing. Liverpool are also monitoring the England international's situation this summer, with Boro boss Gareth Southgate adamant he will fight off all bids.

The 24-year-old, valued at £12m, signed a new contract in January but that has not put Villa off making discrete moves regarding his availability.

it was also atleast mentioned in The Northern Echo but the link isnt working for me atm.

would assume that it would either be A) instead of signing Bentley and would mean switching or imagine it B) both sign and Gabby becomes an impact sub

A) Young-Sidwell-NRC(Barry)-Downing

or

B)
    Sidwell--NRC(Barry)

Bentley
    Young
    Downing

Carew

I know im expecting too much / being far too positive

downing wont happen, and if it does ill be baffled

• Advertisement