Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Aston Villa Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,661 ✭✭✭✭Helix

coghlac3 wrote: »
    Bout 20 mins in Taxi, then 5 minute walk. Try and co-ordinate with others going over as taxi fair is steep at thirty five GBP

good thinking

anyone heading to the scouse match in a fortnight? i wasnt gonna go but, by christ i have to make up for today. match is over at 5.45, flight is at 7.30, so i reckon leaving 10 mins early straight into a taxi will be grand, should be at the airport before 6.30 like

Esse85 wrote: »
    Would it really kill Gabby to smile? He looks like he's been on the losing side.

I cant wait to watch the goals on MOTD @10.30

gabbys never been particularly good on camera

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,323 ✭✭✭Savman

Would it really kill Gabby to smile? He looks like he's been on the losing side.
    Some will find fault in anything...he's not a catwalk model ffs. If he bangs 'em in like that every week I don't care if he cries his way thru tedious interviews.

Personally I like seeing him a bit more self assured and, dare I say it, a little bit more cocky even in his all round game. He was a bit of a soft touch at times so good to see him with that ruthless edge.

Not a bad performance considering some were saying he was being marked out of the game by a certain Micah Richards.

he'll tear stoke apart next week too, but i cant see him doing anything against liverpool, which is why we need another option imo

Helix wrote: »
    he'll tear stoke apart next week too, but i cant see him doing anything against liverpool, which is why we need another option imo
    I dunno, I think you/I/we underestimate Gabby. He has scored at Anfield, Old Trafford and Stamford Bridge. In the form he's in now, all he needs is a half decent chance especially the way Pool are playing now.

Another option would be welcome, hard to see who that's gonna be tho. Doyle is a good bet methinks.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,692 ✭✭✭✭OPENROAD

Savman wrote: »
    Another option would be welcome, hard to see who that's gonna be tho. Doyle is a good bet methinks.

To be honest I don't think you need another option would also thing you would be able to attract a far better player than Doyle.

OPENROAD wrote: »
    To be honest I don't think you need another option would also thing you would be able to attract a far better player than Doyle.
    I dunno....and I don't think you know our Martin very well ;)
    If Berbatov goes to ManU, I'd say there'll be a scramble for Santa Cruz and I'd be very surprised to see him end up at Villa.

Other than that, there's nobody really available that ticks all MON's boxes.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,909 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

Great performance from Villa all round really. We played well in parts but lacked anything up front really. Friedel is an excellent acquisition.

You guys have bought really really well and I would have been chuffed with a point but we didn't deserve it in the end. Best of luck for the year, we'll have the Vas back to do ya at the COMS!!!

I always felt this game was ours every time a name got added to City's injury list. Vassell being the main one :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,103 ✭✭✭estebancambias

OPENROAD wrote: »

It didn't stop MON signing Reading's worst player last season, well after James Harper.

• Advertisement

It didn't stop MON signing Reading's worst player last season, well after James Harper.
    Boards first Reading fan?

well since they became an irish club......

nah just messageboards said this. what i read, they were happy with 4 million. they wouldn't mind selling doyle for a good price either.

I always felt this game was ours every time a name got added to City's injury list. Vassell being the main one :D

Well we've never lost a game he's scored in!

Losing Boj right on kick off was a massive blow and it was tough for Ched to try lead the line on his debut. Would have preferred Sturridge in that role. Thought himself and Ireland did well when they came on.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,879 Mod ✭✭✭✭Bounty Hunter

continued good news on the contract front
    “We are in discussions now with Ashley and I would like very much to get Freddy Bouma sorted out, and it is there for anyone,” O’Neill said.

“I don’t think the chairman has any problem in sorting out wages for anyone who is doing it week in, week out on the pitch. Agbonlahor has done that in the last two seasons here and I hope he continues to do it. Ashley Young has been class and John Carew has been terrific for us since he swapped over with Milan Baros.

“Ashley hasn’t come and asked for anything. He has a couple of years left to run but I would like to sort it out. He is enjoying his football here and if he continues to do what he is doing for us then who knows what he will be able to do in the future.”

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,391 ✭✭✭One Cold Hand

Delighted with this result. Didn't see the game, but from what I hear it was very encouraging. Despite City being a bit of a mess at the minute they have some very talented players, and could have easily done us over.

A win against Stoke next week hopefully, then a big one against the Pool. I don't realistically expect anything from that, but a point would be great.

Xavi6 wrote: »
    Well we've never lost a game he's scored in!

no team has

well, technically

we went out in a carling cup tie on away goals, and lost a european match but won the tie

absolutely astonishing record the bloke has

absolutely astonishing record the bloke has

If only he played more games!

Yeah bit of a cult hero!

FWIW, I think (and hope) Villa will beat Pool.

I dunno, I think you/I/we underestimate Gabby. He has scored at Anfield, Old Trafford and Stamford Bridge. In the form he's in now, all he needs is a half decent chance especially the way Pool are playing now.

look at the games gabby has scored in, theyre generally against teams who push up allowing for the through ball/ball over the top. anything else and he gets his head down and runs into brick walls

at what he does, theres nobody better. the problem is that what he does is severely limited a lot of the time

rubbish, shorey was one of their better players last year. i know united fans who were looking for fergie to sign him

when he settles he'll be immense

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,154 ✭✭✭✭Neil3030

Celtic are closing in on the signing of their former forward Shaun Maloney from Aston Villa. (Daily Record)

Can't say I'm delighted at the news. Would love if he stayed to play in FA Cup or Carling Cup, giving Ashley a rest.

Yeah it doesn't really seem to be working out though does it? No point in keeping him if his hearts not in it. And we can flog him back to Celtic for a few more million than we bought him! Sweet!

rubbish, shorey was one of their better players last year. i know united fans who were looking for fergie to sign him

when he settles he'll be immense

No he wasn't, there only better players last season were Matejovky, Hunt and Bikey.

I wouldn't pay much attention to the United fans either, they like to lap up what sky tells them.....sky made shorey out to be one of the best lb's in the league when he got capped by england, but then never commented on his loss of form for the whole season.

Well according to anything I've heard he's certainly had a very dodgy start to his time at Villa.

The guy isn't good but his crossing is. I would be suprised if bouma or even SOH doesn't replace him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,518 ✭✭✭matrim

Good start to the season for us, and nice to see Gabby get a hat-trick.

We played well and could have gotten a few more goals, but I though there were too many silly mistakes at the back. If we were playing against a better team (or even Man City at full force) they would have been capitalised on.

well since they became an irish club......

nah just messageboards said this. what i read, they were happy with 4 million. they wouldn't mind selling doyle for a good price either.
    Dude, please tell me you're not throwing out opinions based on message boards? Unless you've actually been following Reading's season week in week out, then you don't have any basis for comment.

I never watched Reading but I seen a bit of Sidwell and Doyle. Shorey I'm willing to take at face value, he's been ropey so far no doubt but can only improve.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,246 ✭✭✭Esse85

Some will find fault in anything...he's not a catwalk model ffs.

Grow up would ya, it was a simple observation about the lad. Of course im delighted he scored a hatrick.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 161 ✭✭coghlac3

good thinking

anyone heading to the scouse match in a fortnight? i wasnt gonna go but, by christ i have to make up for today. match is over at 5.45, flight is at 7.30, so i reckon leaving 10 mins early straight into a taxi will be grand, should be at the airport before 6.30 like

If you Check-In Online with aerlingus you have plenty time to make the flight back. I left at full time went to club shop, then got taxi, and still managed to spend 50mins in airport bar watchin sly sports! All you need is a few fellow villans to travel together and your sorted!

• Advertisement

Of course im delighted he scored a hatrick.
    But are you smiling?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,246 ✭✭✭Esse85

I sure am :P

I honestly do expect Doyle to be a Villa player before the deadline, if Mooney moves to Reading it seems the move might be triggered and if he and a RM are signed I would be very happy with the depth in the Villa squad.
    x1jewn.jpg
    Hello Villa fans.

I'm a Cork City supporter in Ireland. Some of you may know that we had Doyle at Cork City for 3 years and lost him to Reading in 2005 for peanuts....£80,000 was the figure because of a clause inserted into his contract...it still pains us to see how much we lost him for.

The reason Aston Villa are being quoted so much for Doyle (£7m or £8m is whats being mentioned in Cork/Ireland) is because Cork City are entitled to 10% of any transfer fee. This gives us around £700,000 or close to €1,000,000

Today Reading have put in a bid of £200,000 for current Cork City striker Dave Mooney. This is a total insult to Mooney, Cork City and the league in general. Last summer we sold Roy O'Donovan for €500,000...so Reading will have to double or treble their offer for Mooney.

Its well speculated and thought here in Cork that Reading want Mooney to replace Doyle, with Doyle on his way to Aston Villa. Doyle has strong connections to players in Cork so don't disregard anything which comes from our end.

At the weekend, Doyle gave an interview to an Irish paper, all but saying he wants out of Reading:

http://i202.photobucket.com/albums/aa212/ccfcforum/doyle2.jpg
    http://i202.photobucket.com/albums/aa212/ccfcforum/Doyle1.jpg

Here is the piece in the Cork media today about Reading/Mooney/Aston Villa/Doyle:

http://i202.photobucket.com/albums/aa212/ccfcforum/mooney_reading-1.jpg

On Doyle himself, I think he's a very good Premiership player. He was very good in a poor Reading team for their 2 years in the Premiership. He's got a great touch and is fantastic in the air....from what I see Ason Villa score alot of goals from set pieces. Doyle would certainly be a good addition and Villa seem short up front.

We have waited since 2005 to get what we feel is a realistic price for Kevin Doyle....finally it looks like he'll move before the transfer window closes.

Plenty discussion about this on Cork City's fans forum, where you will probably find more info on Doyle and the current situation than you would on a Reading forum.

http://www.ccfcforum.com

Take care,
    CCFC!

It would be nice to have an Irish player at Villa again too

That article says that we've bid 8million for Doyle. Does anyone know if thats true?

Yeah I can see him being a Villa player soon. You'd never know, he might do quite well.

dunno if its official that bid has been made but i wouldent be surprised, and Reading are just waiting on signing a replacement (Mooney) before greenlighting it. I know people might want better but Gabby/Carew is our first choice strikers this season IMO and Doyle is around the best that could be got just for rotation.

It also quite interestingly would mean that Sidwell, Shorey & Doyle argueable the three biggest reasons (atleast according to the media) Reading did so well 2 seasons ago would all be reunitted in the claret and blue of Aston Villa.

this transfer ticks all the boxes for me in believability i.e I can see it happening.

Number 8 for Doyle?

Lads just here me out, with Ashley Young crossing to Doyle will score goals when he gets into the team. Ok truth is Hunt is also an excellent crosser but Young is better. I see Doyle if given the shot and he does sign, scoring 12-15 goals.

Doyle got 6 goals in a struggling team and being played out wide. I honestly believe he will be a brilliant replacement for Carew when he leaves, and over time will push Carew out of the team.

• Advertisement

I think he'd work better WITH Carew, playing off him as such. I think he'd basically be a alternative for Gabby.
    I don't think Doyle could replace Carew's power and presence up front. Carew causes serious trouble for nearly every defence he plays against. His height and strength makes him the ideal outlet for our defence/midfield. I don't see Doyle doing the same job at all. But he can do a job playing with Carew, as I said.

ah yeah i get this, so basically doyle playing on the right of a front 3?

Yeah maybe. But I think he'd be more effective as a striker, with Carew. Young then would play either left wing or free role (and our new shiney RW who we haven't bought yet would play on the other side).

If we we're to play a front 3 I think Gabby would be more effective on the right than Doyle. As someone said earlier, he wasn't that effective on the right for reading.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,951 ✭✭✭✭Villain

Can't see what Doyle will offer us really, Too simalar to Carew really only not as good.

Doyle doesn't have any real pace, his main ability is to win the first ball and play in a teammate, or to get into the box and convert a cross.

IMO and we need a player simalar to Gabby to play off Carew, but he has more ability to finish.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 303 ✭✭pesireland

Just wondering what you fella think of the Barry thing?, haven't hear a Villa prespective on the situation, Do ye think it will still go through before the deadline??

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,372 ✭✭✭✭Mr Alan

there is a Barry thread pesireland, that will give you an idea on their thoughts. lots of fighting between Villa fans and Liverpool fans over the summer ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,951 ✭✭✭✭Villain

Oh god don't speak of that, there is a Barry thread where we have all had a good say and went around in circles and had another good say.

Nobody knows what will happen, if Liverpool decide to pay the cash he will go if they don't he will stay.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,529 ✭✭✭Im_No_Superman

pesireland wrote: »
    Just wondering what you fella think of the Barry thing?, haven't hear a Villa prespective on the situation, Do ye think it will still go through before the deadline??
    Dont mention the war! :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 303 ✭✭pesireland

Sorry lads i just got permission to the soccer forums, and i never searched for a Barry thread, Appoliges for mentioning the *whispers* Barry Deal. :D

Go on wiki and ask who liverpools next signing will be and it says BArry IMAO, go old wiki.

actually just thinking, I don't think MON would pay 8 million for doyle, maby if he had scored 4 more goals last season, but 6 just looks bad....5 million he would, but I think he knows Harewood will do.

As I said months ago, I was in Villa Park for the Reading game last January and Doyle was by far their best player. Not only that, his work rate and off the ball movement stood out.

I remember one move where he turned Curtis Davies and left him standing before blasting over the bar, a real sign of the times for his confidence and where Reading were headed.

Point is, he's just a good player gone bad. Bags of potential there. £8m is wayyyy over the odds but who are we to argue.

wasnt Doyle injured for a good bit of last season then played on the wing? if im remembering right then 6 goals isnt all that terrible a return considering his team got relegated.

I really dont want Villa relying on Marlon if either Gabby or Carew gets an extended injury do you?

yeah 6 aint bad at all considering, and if you consider kitson went for like 5.5 million then I think Doyle could definetly demand 6-7 million value.

Shorey went for 4 million as well. I personally would love it but as I said I would doubt it.

Shorey went for 4 million as well. I personally would love it but as I said I would doubt it.

As i said before I really see it happening as it ticks all the boxes for MON/a normal transfer:

*He is English/Irish
    *He is very hardworking
    *He doesent have an ego and would fit in
    *He is available
    *we have a good relationship with reading (Shorey)
    *There are former teammates after recently joining Villa
    *We need more options up front
    *Reading seemingly have a replacement lined up (mooney)
    *He wouldent moan about not starting i.e could be soley used for rotation
    *He has been linked a number of times
    *He wouldent cost stupid money

im sure there are more too

Interesting thing about Doyle too is, we dont know if he has peaked or how much better he can get. He excelled in the LOI then made the move up to the championship (dont kill me LOI fans) where he excelled again. Then his club made the jump up to the Premiership where he did very well and scored a high number in an overachieving team. Last season he was injured and played out of position but now possibly making another step up with a better team of players around him, training facilities etc maybe he could improve himself again...who knows

• Registered Users Posts: 650 ✭✭✭spiderdan

I'm surprised nobody has picked up on Blackburn being linked to Joaquin as a replacement to Bentley- IMO he should be our priority ahead of Doyle and Milner, I wouldn't like to miss out on a quality player like him if he was available, great delivery, technically sound, can beat defenders and most importantly scores goals which he's been doing pre-season.

Funny when I mentioned Doyle last week as a possibility any reaction was negative. Good addition IMO, would be interesting to see who misses out if he arrives, I think Gabby has surprised many with his hat-trick!! Great to have a few tough decisions regarding squad selection if he arrives.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement