Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Aston Villa Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,951 ✭✭✭✭Villain

Yep defo prefer Joaquin, apart from Doyle been Irish I can't see him offering us any improvments.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,154 ✭✭✭✭Neil3030

To what extent are Villa players and their families hounded by the press? I read in an interview a while ago that Doyle and his girlfriend liked being at a small club like Reading because the media generally left them alone.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,879 Mod ✭✭✭✭Bounty Hunter

afaik they arent really hounded by the press at Villa, think he little you hear from Villa players... unless its an official club statement via the website or something organised with the clubs permission like an interview from WM radio I think they are pretty much left alone.

that is unless your name is Gareth Barry

that is unless your name is Gareth Barry

Haha!

If Joaquin goes to Blackburn for 9.5m and we don't bring in a decent right-sided midfielder I'll be pretty darn peeved. Confident MON's on it though.

• Registered Users Posts: 650 ✭✭✭spiderdan

another reason for optimism is the form of Petrov- he had a very good end to last season and seems to have started off on the right foot, be interested to see if Villa fans have begun to see his as permanent name on the team sheet rather then someone everyone wanted replaced?

well Petrov isnt playing RM now... notice how people are starting to get annoyed with NRC. the interesting thing will be if we do get a RM who will partner (Barry) who in the middle Sidwell, NRC, Petrov or even Gardner.
    Neil3030 wrote:
    Confident MON's on it though
    Yoda, are you? :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,323 ✭✭✭Savman

Ah the old Petrov debate, we've been due one of these!

He's looking fairly assured these days and personally I think our run in the UEFA cup will benefit from the experience of him, Carew etc.

If we can sign a right winger and keep Barry then Petrov will be behind, Sidwell, Barry and NRC for the 2 middle positions

Yoda, are you? :D

Nope, just confident that since the gaping hole on our right side needs fixing and MON promised more signings...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,246 ✭✭✭Esse85

If we brought in Doyle + Milner for no more than £18m and managed to hold onto GB, then i think we're in for an excellent season, by excellent i mean 5th in the league and a good run in the 3 cups.

Young + Barry will be vital again this year, last year between them they scored 18 league goals and had over 27 assists in the league, if these 2 can repeat the same form then we're in for a fine season.

I feel Doyle would improve the squad as with better service than he had with Reading, his goals ratio would improve, and uefa cup football should contribute to his all round game. What a contrast in fortune that would be compared to a few years ago when he was knocking the goals in at Turners Cross.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,103 ✭✭✭estebancambias

It would be great if Doyle did something like Young...people think he's overpriced and then he becomes world class.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,337 ✭✭✭✭monkey9

It would be great if Doyle did something like Young...people think he's overpriced and then he becomes world class.

I'd hardly call Young world class!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,372 ✭✭✭✭Mr Alan

monkey9 wrote: »
    I'd hardly call Young world class!

well you'd be wrong.

Mr Alan wrote: »
    well you'd be wrong.

Well, without getting into a Johnny Giles 'definition of great' debate, if you think that Ashley Young is a world class player, then fair enough.

i don't see what more he could do, he had the second highest assist rate in EPL last season which is in one of the top three leagues in the world.

• Advertisement

The term world class gets branded around way too much in today's world mainly due to influences from the media.

I wouldnt call Young world class just yet, he still has a long way to go, but he's on the right track.

Current players i would call world class are: Kaka, Ronaldo, Terry, Torres, Buffon etc...
    I think its a little premature to put Young in this bracket just yet, but it certainly wouldnt surprise me to see him mentioned in the "world class" category in the next 3-5 years.

i don't see what more he could do, he had the second highest assist rate in EPL last season which is in one of the top three leagues in the world.

Thats just 1 season, if he keeps that ratio up for the next 3-5 years then you may have a case.

But Kaka hasn't for years, since his first season in Serie A had a consistent season.

I understand what you mean, like truly world class players are ones like Messi.

He's an absolute quality player and yeah, maybe one day he'll be playing for Barca or Utd or Milan in European finals and running rings around the opposition and dragging England towards the latter stages of tournaments etc. Maybe he will.
    But to have a great season in the prem for villa does not make him world class. There's still a long way to go before you can call Ashley Young a world class player.

Esse85 wrote: »
    The term world class gets branded around way too much in today's world mainly due to influences from the media.

I wouldnt call Young world class just yet, he still has a long way to go, but he's on the right track.

Current players i would call world class are: Kaka, Ronaldo, Terry, Torres, Buffon etc...
    I think its a little premature to put Young in this bracket just yet, but it certainly wouldnt surprise me to see him mentioned in the "world class" category in the next 3-5 years.

Exactly

• Advertisement

Actually yeah I agree.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 39,009 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

Just reading the last page or two and I personally agree with guy who said that if you got Milner and Doyle for 18 mill you would be in great shape.

I think Petrov has taken time to settle in at Villa but he is a class act and I think he'll prove it this season.

Now just keep your mits off Joaquin.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,372 ✭✭✭✭Mr Alan

Monkey;you're right it is premature to call Young "world class" and the definition of that can be a very grey area.

But he is a great player. and apart from the greasy portugeese lad at Utd, was the best winger in the best league in Europe last year.

Granted world class isnt over 1 season, but if it was he'd be right up there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,661 ✭✭✭✭Helix

eagle eye wrote: »
    I think Petrov has taken time to settle in at Villa but he is a class act and I think he'll prove it this season.

petrov is bloody awful

Ashley Young is class...but world class? Let's not go nuts. Someday, it's quite possible but he'd need to do it on a much higher level than against your Wigan's and your Fulham's every week. However I'm sure when he gets the chance to play in Champions League and International tournaments etc he'll mature like a fine wine.

He's already been sublime in the UEFA Cup qualifying so the only way is up for the lad.

Helix wrote: »
    petrov is bloody awful
    In fairness Petrov has settled down an awful lot, his displays have come on a good bit. He still gets needlessly scapegoated but I think he'll shake that with a few good games and a goal or six

Seems like Dirty 'Arry has overspent :D:D:D:D
    SKY SPORTS wrote:
    Redknapp rules out SWP swoop

Pompey boss ends interest in winger

Harry Redknapp has conceded that a move for Shaun Wright-Phillips is now 'out of the question'.
    The Portsmouth manager made no secret of his desire to sign Wright-Phillips earlier in the summer.
    There has also been speculation that Chelsea could allow the winger to leave Stamford Bridge, with fierce competition for places in Luiz Felipe Scolari's midfield.
    However, Pompey do not have the funds to bring in Wright-Phillips and Redknapp has resigned himself to the fact that he will not be arriving at Fratton Park.
    "If I could go and buy a good right winger now, I would do," Redknapp told The News.
    "If I had the money, I would buy Shaun Wright-Phillips.
    "But that's out of the question now, I haven't got that sort of money."

Martin, go get him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,792 ✭✭✭✭JPA

Helix wrote: »
    petrov is bloody awful

He's really not. In a sitting, passing role in midfield he's very good.
    In an attacking or right sided role he's brutal.

Savman wrote: »
    "If I had the money, I would buy Shaun Wright-Phillips.
    "But that's out of the question now, I haven't got that sort of money."

Just like Villa beat him to signing Kaboul? My hoop, Harry. My hoop.

Nothing stopping SWP going there on loan.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 857 ✭✭✭wynters

Esse85 wrote: »
    Nothing stopping SWP going there on loan.

I'm afraid there is... Some of today's tabloids were reporting that 'Arry was gonna get SWP on loan, but that's simply not possible because Portsmouth already have Ben Sahar on loan from Chelsea, and Premier League rules do not permit 2 players to be loaned to another Premiership club. They can't loan him, and they can't afford him unless they do some major selling. So that leaves us in pole position. Liverpool could register an interest but Chelsea would much rather sell to us than them, maybe for a lower fee too. Remember Duff to Newcastle?

I'd love us to sign SWP this window. But I have to say, if Chelsea sign another midfielder, and SWP stays there, you'd have to question his hunger if he's prepared to play another bit-part-role at Chelsea for another season. If he has the opportunity to move this summer and doesn't, we should just leave it at that, because maybe that's not the type of player we need.

Well it seems that MON's stance on Barry isn't putting off our star players off extending their contracts after Gabby and Carew last week signed new deals Ashley Young has come out looking for a new deal!

wynters wrote: »
    But I have to say, if Chelsea sign another midfielder, and SWP stays there, you'd have to question his hunger if he's prepared to play another bit-part-role at Chelsea for another season. If he has the opportunity to move this summer and doesn't, we should just leave it at that, because maybe that's not the type of player we need.
    Exactly. But whether Chelsea sign another player or not, you'd still have to question SWP's hunger in general. He's making sure the clever-dumb balance is restored anyway.

I'd love us to sign SWP this window. But I have to say, if Chelsea sign another midfielder, and SWP stays there, you'd have to question his hunger if he's prepared to play another bit-part-role at Chelsea for another season. If he has the opportunity to move this summer and doesn't, we should just leave it at that, because maybe that's not the type of player we need.

Good point, it's essentially win win for us - we either sign a player eager to prove himself by making the step down from a top four squad to for first team regularity; or we avoid a player who clearly wants to sit on his ring each week and collect enormous wages.

And if he tries defend any decision to stay on the grounds that he can fight for a starting place in that midfield, he's delusional. Or lying.

What did SWP get on Sunday, 12mins? I was watching the Chelsea game and they were terrific, he ain't getting into that side anytime soon because Deco looks like he's at his peak, as does Lampard and Joe Cole. Then there's only Essien and Ballack to come back. No place for SWP IMHO.

I dont think its really win win as we'll still be without a RM

I was reading on Sky text earlier that Maloney has 3 clubs interested in signing him, 1 is believed to be Cetic, the other 2 are in the EPL, it was stated that Villa are "taught to want around £1m for the striker" I know we only paid this amount for him but wasnt that because he was going to leave Celtic anyway for free during the summer.

He hasnt done anything in the EPL to command a bigger transfer fee than that but surely he's still held in high regard in Scotland and i was hoping AVFC would be hoping to make some profit on the player.

But can we/do we want to match his wages?

Villain wrote: »
    But can we/do we want to match his wages?
    No but we could certainly add in some heft 'incentive' bonus payments so he doesn't sit on his arse.

He wont get his Chelsea wages matched anywhere.

Hard to see it tbh but I hope MON can bring him in.

• Advertisement

He's probably only (I say 'only' when comparing him to his colleagues in Chelsea) on around 50k-60k per week. So I don't think wages will be an issue. We'll either match them or give him a modest enough cut. Remember, we're loaded now. :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,391 ✭✭✭One Cold Hand

I honestly don't understand all this talk of SWP coming to Villa. It really is just lazy journalism. Chelsea have said they don't want to sell him, and he's said he's happy there. Anything else is just rumours.

I also don't think he's a MON type player, he seems like a spoilt little brat. IF we make a move for him, I think its very important that we DON'T offer him the same as he's on a Chelsea, as this will mean he's on more than nearly every player at our club, and he may or may not be a success. What happens if he comes and is on more wages than Laursen, Friedel, Carew, Young, Gabby, and is swanning around the pitch week in week out doing nothing? How would the other players feel?

I think MON should offer him about 30-35k. This will show his desire to play for Villa. If he really wants to play he'll take the pay cut. If he doesn't want to play then he won't join, but that's okay, as we only want players who want to play for us. Or we'll end up like West Ham.

he seems like a spoilt little brat.
    Bit harsh, it's obvious he's as light between the ears as he is on his feet but a lot of overpaid players are tbh.

Do Villa really need someone on the right side like him. I think Milner is a far better option. He has a good football head on his shoulders which is the problem with SWP imo.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,792 ✭✭✭✭JPA

I honestly don't understand all this talk of SWP coming to Villa. It really is just lazy journalism.

I think it's just idle speculation by fans, it hasn't been reported or speculated anywhere for months.

I've never seen this guy play but a friend just told me that he is in England at the moment and that Villa are poised to sign him from Real Madrid. Ruben de la Red Gutierrez is his name.

• Advertisement

eagle eye wrote: »
    I've never seen this guy play but a friend just told me that he is in England at the moment and that Villa are poised to sign him from Real Madrid. Ruben de la Red Gutierrez is his name.

he was linked a while back, it would be great if he signed but he isnt exactley what we need atm i.e he would be a class Barry replacement and fits The Arteta mold of player but made the Spain squad for the Euro's ahead of him after a great season on loan at Getafe, while Villa need a RM and maybe another striker.

id still be really happy if he signed

Curtis Davies is my new favourite Villa player.

Why?
    Cuéllar Competition

Curtis Davies believes the signing of Carlos Cuéllar will help Villa as they look to compete on all fronts this season.

Davies is relishing the challenge of battling for his place as the former Rangers star looks for a regular spot in Martin O'Neill's team.

The 23-year-old told www.avfc.co.uk "I am delighted Carlos has come in. We needed to bolster the squad, particularly with our European aspirations as well as our domestic hopes this season. We want to do well in all competitions.

"If we went into the campaign with only five recognised defenders in myself, Zat, Martin, Nicky and Luke, then it would have looked a bit light. If one gets injured, there's not much cover.

"Carlos has come in and that makes the whole set-up look more secure.

"It also provides competition for places which is what any footballer wants. It keeps you on your toes.

"I know he is Scottish Player of the Year and did well for Rangers when they got to the final of the UEFA Cup. I have spoken to Barry Bannan and he rates him very highly.

"You know if the manager pays that sort of money for someone that he will be a good player.

"I need to concentrate on my game, step up my performances and hope he doesn't take my place in the team."

Davies was delighted to be back in Premier League action on Sunday - after a five month absence due to an Achilles injury picked up against Arsenal in March 2008.

He added: "I enjoyed Sunday - it was great to be back playing at Villa Park. I was anxious to get out there because it's been a while since I had played in a Premier League match.

"But there's more to come from Curtis Davies. In essence, I am still finding my feet a bit. I am just trying to defend properly at the moment - doing the bread and butter things - getting my head on to things and if it needs kicking, it goes!

"I am sure once I have played a few more games, there will be an improvement."

Any man who refers to himself in third person is instantly a hero in my book.

Everyone say hello to The Rock of Aston Villa, and you better

SMEEEELLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLL...

WHAT THE CURT...

IS COOKIN

Neil3030 wrote: »

Why?

WHAT THE CURT...

IS COOKIN

I agree with you about people referring to themselves in the third person, except that i am completely of the opposite opinion.

Neil3030 wrote: »

Why?

WHAT THE CURT...

IS COOKIN
    Oh dear. Change your sig NOW!

monkey9 wrote: »
    I agree with you about people referring to themselves in the third person, except that i am completely of the opposite opinion.

Huh? I don't follow... how can you agree with an opinion while being of the opposite opinion?
    Oh dear. Change your sig NOW!

NEVER!!

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement