Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Aston Villa Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,337 ✭✭✭✭monkey9

Neil3030 wrote: »
    Huh? I don't follow... how can you agree with an opinion while being of the opposite opinion?

NEVER!!

Don't argue with monkey9's logic

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,154 ✭✭✭✭Neil3030

Don't argue with monkey9's logic

If you played for Aston Villa you'd be my new hero...

Alas...

CAUTION: BILL HOWELL ARTICLE. APPLY SALT LIBERALLY BEFORE READING
    Aston Villa planning £25m swoop
    Aug 20 2008 By Bill Howell

MARTIN O’Neill’s quest to bring in a quality striker and right-sided midfielder has led to Randy Lerner setting aside up to £25million for a double swoop.

Sources indicate the Villa boss will push the boat out for Paraguayan striker Roque Santa Cruz with Blackburn having already turned down two bids from Manchester City for a player rated in the £15million bracket.

If O’Neill fails to land Santa Cruz he will switch his attentions to Reading’s much-coveted 24-year-old Irish international Kevin Doyle. O’Neill is in prime position to capture Newcastle’s James Milner for around £9million, although he has not yet given up hope of persuading Chelsea to part with Joe Cole.

The England midfielder has two years remaining on his contract and has been told he must wait until the end of the season to sign an extension at time when Luiz Felipe Scolari has courted Brazilian winger Robinho.

O’Neill is nevertheless admant Villa will be making new inroads into the transfer market after already signing six players in Steve Sidwell, Brad Friedel, Brad Guzan, Nicky Shorey, Luke Young and Carlos Cuellar.

“We have got just less than two weeks. I am hopeful we can sign some players,’’ said O’Neill.

“We are still actively trying to get some people in.

“I’ve the support of the chairman, who I think has shown his intentions and done exactly what he said he would in supporting the team.

“We might get another three players in and we might be stricken with the same situation as West Ham this time last year.

“We might not be able to cope but you’ve got a better chance if you’ve got the people in.

“I can get numbers in but I really want to try and get a bit of quality at the same time.

“I’m pretty pleased with what we’ve done, no-one has seen Cuellar play here other than his UEFA Cup run with Rangers, no-one really knows enough about what Sidwell could do. But it’s great, it’s competition for places which is exactly what I wanted.”

O’Neill admits he is short of strike power with just three senior forwards and youngster Nathan Delfouneso to call on.

“We have an up-and-coming young lad in Nathan Delfouneso who is doing really, really well,’’ said O’Neill.

“We have Marlon Harewood, Gabby Agbonlahor and John Carew.

“We will try and see if we can do something about it before the deadline. If it doesn’t happen it won’t be for a want of trying and hopefully we can add another couple of players if we can do.”

O’Neill is also on the look-out for defensive back-up for both full-backs, which could see Lee Naylor arriving from Celtic for a nominal fee.

“We need back-up. If you think that Freddie Bouma won’t be back for four to six months, if you get two injuries then you are back to square one,’’ he said.

With new arrivals on the horizon it is inevitable players will be leaving and Shaun Maloney is set to complete a transfer back to Celtic.

O’Neill is adamant the Scottish midfielder has been given enough chances to shine.

“I would prefer to keep players here,’’ he said.

“It is not that I want to keep every unhappy player. That has been my view, unless it has been so clear that they are not going to get a look-in.

“Interestingly, during the course of my time here that has not been the case with Shaun.

“For us at the moment, there might be an exit or two. But I would rather it was us trying to add to the squad.”

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,951 ✭✭✭✭Villain

So Maloney out and a Striker and a right winger in? That would do me nicely.

• Registered Users Posts: 650 ✭✭✭spiderdan

Milner and Santa Cruz and I think we'd really be up there as top 4 contenders- no doubts at all, the others would really look at Villa being potential rivals. Our main rivals at the minute have to be Spurs and they need to buy strikers fast- could be another race to sign Santa Cruz, looks like City wont have the money in place!! Maybe Bentley would have a say? I think Doyle is a much more likely proposition although a little over priced- 6mill I reckon would be decent value

My hunch is MON knows Doyle is his for the taking at a certain price, but will only go to him as a plan B, should RSQ commit elsewhere (I really can't see him stay at Blackburn, he'll either move to UTD, Spurs then MAYBE us).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,792 ✭✭✭✭JPA

My hunch is MON knows Doyle is his for the taking at a certain price, but will only go to him as a plan B, should RSQ commit elsewhere (I really can't see him stay at Blackburn, he'll either move to UTD, Spurs then MAYBE us).

It's RSC BTW.
    He would be dream signing and I do agree Doyle maybe a Plan B. Our plan B's seem to have a leaked a lot this season eh, Kaboul etc.

Milner would also be great and we could definitely get him if we pay the money.
    RSC would be more difficult with a lot of competition I would say. Blackburn really really don't want to sell and their fans would riot if they do.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,372 ✭✭✭✭Mr Alan

didnt Ince say the other day that Santa Cruz wont be leaving?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,323 ✭✭✭Savman

Mr Alan wrote: »
    MON also said Barry wasn't for sale.

no, he said he was for sale for 18m.

whereas Ince said no one else was leaving Blackburn

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,879 Mod ✭✭✭✭Bounty Hunter

yeah but every player has their price...

dont expect him to leave blackburn this season myself especially not after Blackburn signing his brother, Doyle is much more likely IMO.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,246 ✭✭✭Esse85

That means nothing these days.

no, he said he was for sale for 18m.
    You're very mistaken, I was watching the original interview back in April.

Anyway I wouldn't read too much into what Ince says, Blackburn are supposedly up sh*t creek financially.

• Registered Users Posts: 650 ✭✭✭spiderdan

Ince has to say he's not selling- I'm sure Santa Cruz would jump at the chance to be playing Euro football again- little bro or none.

If Villa or Spurs offered 15m it'd really test Blackburn's resolve- especially considering they paid 3.5m for him, very good business. Its a progression for him, like Berbatov demanding to leave Spurs

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,103 ✭✭✭estebancambias

Doyle scored the same amount of goals as Santa Cruz in his first season in the EPL. I don't understand how 8 million is so much for Doyle yet 15 million is grand for Santa Cruz.

• Registered Users Posts: 857 ✭✭✭wynters

RSC is going nowhere this transfer window... Blackburn just signed his younger brother Julio Santa Cruz from some South American club. There's no way he'd encourage his little brother to come half way around the world to join him at Blackburn and then say - "Right Julio, see ya after, I'm off".

There's no chance of getting him.

Doyle scored the same amount of goals as Santa Cruz in his first season in the EPL. I don't understand how 8 million is so much for Doyle yet 15 million is grand for Santa Cruz.
    That's a very good point actually...:eek:

Most likely, Doyle + cynicism towards all things irish = £5m

that is an excellent point.

I dont expect RSQ and I do expect Doyle so im happy you have layed it out way. Doyle isnt bad value at 8m irrespective of RSQ's price either IMO. most people seem to rate him at 5-6m and in todays market that =8m everyones tranfer fees are inflated now, especially international Centre forwards who have proved they can get goals in the premiership.

edit: although after checking RSQ got 19 in 36 prem games while Doyle got 13 in 32 prem games in their first respective seasons in the Premiership

wynters wrote: »
    RSC is going nowhere this transfer window... Blackburn just signed his younger brother Julio Santa Cruz from some South American club. There's no way he'd encourage his little brother to come half way around the world to join him at Blackburn and then say - "Right Julio, see ya after, I'm off".

There's no chance of getting him.
    Generall I find reality a better place in which to live. If RSC can better his wages, career and European football prospects, he and Blackburn will have a price. I don't buy this younger brother bollox, he's still a professional football player and Blackburn is only a few hours from Birmingham.

I can't see Villa getting RSC for other reasons, primarily I think Blackburn are pricing him out of a move and secondarily I think Spurs could be in there if/when Berbs finally makes his move.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,103 ✭✭✭estebancambias

that is an excellent point.

I dont expect RSQ and I do expect Doyle so im happy you have layed it out way. Doyle isnt bad value at 8m irrespective of RSQ's price either IMO. most people seem to rate him at 5-6m and in todays market that =8m everyones tranfer fees are inflated now, especially international Centre forwards who have proved they can get goals in the premiership.

edit: although after checking RSQ got 19 in 36 prem games while Doyle got 13 in 32 prem games in their first respective seasons in the Premiership

Don't get me wrong, Santa Cruz is a better striker and would be Aston Villa's first option everyday of the week, but some people dismissing Doyle as 'not being good enough' is unfair.

Why? imo Doyle isn't good enough to improve our squad

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,661 ✭✭✭✭Helix

Villain wrote: »

how would adding him make our squad weaker?

I didn't say it would weaken our squad I said it wouldn't improve it, we shouldn't buy players simple for the sake of having numbers, we need quality and need top 6 quality, Doyle isn't near that, if we were to sell Harewood and replace him with Doyle and still but a top striker fair enough but buying Doyle to add to our attacking options would be a mistake imo

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 39,009 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

I didn't say it would weaken our squad I said it wouldn't improve it, we shouldn't buy players simple for the sake of having numbers, we need quality and need top 6 quality, Doyle isn't near that, if we were to sell Harewood and replace him with Doyle and still but a top striker fair enough but buying Doyle to add to our attacking options would be a mistake imo
    He would certainly improve your squad. He is miles better and has much more to offer than Harewood.

If you think so fair enough, I actually don't think he can offer any more than Harewood and even if he can I don't think he can challenge Carew or Gabby or for a place, Doyle would be fine if we needed numbers but we need to sign a striker that would push for a starting place in any top 6 side, Doyle was good for reading but I don't think he has what it takes to compete at the level we want to be at.

• Advertisement

He is the best Centre forward around IMO who would be willing to be rotated / sit on our bench and IMO we need another forward but Gabby and Carew are going to be MON's first choice strikeforce this season. against certain defenses Gabby can often big inaffective, Doyle would be a different option. Harewood should just be a sub and nothing more IMO.

as can be seen in the other thread Mooney has signed for Reading.

Your first statement is incorrect. RSC scored 19 goals in 36 games in the league compared to Doyle's 13 goals in 32 games.

The reason id happily pay more for RSC is simply, his experience. He's player over 150 games for Bayern Munich, won numerous German league titles, the German Cup, the Champions League. He played in 2 world cup's so far and has experience playing against Brazil and Argentina. His pedigree is excellent.

The signs look good towards RSC having another good season in his 2nd year.

Doyle on the other hand has had his second season, scored 6 goals, and his team were relegated. He was used out on the right hand side but this is no compliment, clearly if Coppell rated him as his best striker then he would of played as a striker.

His honours include winning the eircom league and the league championship in England.

There's a major gulf in class between the two.

I still think either would improve the Villa squad:P

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 39,009 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

Well the Doyle thing will be known about shortly cos Mooney has officially completed his singing with Reading.

• Registered Users Posts: 857 ✭✭✭wynters

Personally, I think we could do much better than Doyle...

I do like him, he's got a great attitude, is a good team player and he'd fit into the squad alright... but those hard working/good attitude type players are ten a'penny. He's not a player who'll push you into the top 4.

We've just finished 6th, look likely to have a run in the UEFA Cup, and there's a real sense of momentum about the club, so we should be looking to capitalise on that as much as possible by trying to attract better players. Surely there's players on the continent who are better, whom we could get for a similar fee...? (Spurs got Berbatov for £11m not so long ago).

I wouldn't be majorly disappointed if he joined, but Doyle is a player with a club who've just been relegated, and would probably join any Premier league club who meet Readings valuation just to stay in the top division. No offence to Kevin Doyle, but we're currently in a position to sign a better class of player than that, and should use it.

• Advertisement

do people genuinely think that the likes of Sidwell,Young,Shorey,Doyle are the kind of players that will make Villa improve on a 6th place finish in the league?

not even nearly imo, the one thing you have going for you is that Everton are skint and havent bought anyone and even sold a couple of players, but the type of players that Spurs/City/even Portsmouth have signed over the last 18mths are the ones Villa should be targetting imo.

Of course they'll help us improve, did you see the state of the squad last season.:eek:

do people genuinely think that the likes of Sidwell,Young,Shorey,Doyle are the kind of players that will make Villa improve on a 6th place finish in the league?
    If you hadn't spent the whole summer belittling Villa, perhaps this wouldn't come across like another cheap shot and an actual attempt at a fair and impartial discussion. :)

But the simple answer is Yes, those 4 players you mentioned would all improve Villa.

Ins: Steve Sidwell (Chelsea, £5m), Curtis Davies (West Brom, undisclosed), Brad Friedel (Blackburn, £2m), Brad Guzan (Chivas USA, undisclosed), Nicky Shorey (Reading, 3.5m), Luke Young (Boro, 5.5m), Carlo Cuellar (Rangers, 7.8m).

and expected: Kevin Doyle (Reading, 7.5m)

Outs: Thomas Sorensen (released), Patrik Berger (Sparta Prague, free), Luke Moore (West Brom, £3m), Mellberg (Juve, Free), Carson (loan ended).

and Expected: Shaun Maloney (Celtic, 1-3m)

GK: Friedel is a big improvement on Carson and Guzan (MLS goalie of the year) is a good sub

RB: Mellberg is loved at the Villa and was great for us but he played RB in the team that got 6th and Luke Young who had a great season at Boro last year is an improvement in that position.

LB: Personally I rate Bouma more than Shorey but we didnt lose Bouma hes still a Villa player but now he has some real competition when he's fit, which is an improvement as last year we had nobody to back him up.

CB: Carlos Cuellar and the permanent siging of Curtis Davies in this position means we are very very strong in this position and wont need Zat Knight to do anything but sit on the bench... thats an improvement.

CM: Sidwell add extra depth of a good quality to this position, if he can recapture his form from Reading two years back he will be a great buy and tbh while we still have Barry this area is really strong with Petrov, NRC, and Sidwell all fighting it out to play alongside him (assuming we get a RM).

ST: Luke Moore turned out to be a very big dissapointment as we had high expectations for him, Doyle IMO would be a big improvement on him and a much better option than Harewood if we need to rest or replace one of Agbonlahor or Carew due to Injury.

the first 11 doesent look radically improved but its slighly better while the squad as a whole is much much better than last year especially if the signing of Doyle & a RM goes through, so considering Villa's tiny squad came 6th last year and the fact that I dont expect Champions league football atm im very happy with the improvements at Villa Park atm.

not even nearly imo, the one thing you have going for you is that Everton are skint and havent bought anyone and even sold a couple of players, but the type of players that Spurs/City/even Portsmouth have signed over the last 18mths are the ones Villa should be targetting imo.

Shorey is cover for bouma, young is a very good right back, sidwell is a great addition to midfield, Friedel is one of the leagues best keepers, cuellar is great cover for Laursen and Davies. Portsmouth sold one of there best players and signed kaboul who isn't great, the only player they signed who would start our first team is Defor, Mon is building a squad slowly with mainly young British players.

Doyle interview on SSN:
    "Honestly I don't know. I think there has been interest, but Reading and the other club need to come to an agreement. If they don't I will continue to give my all to Reading football club and help them get back to the Premiership, and back where we belong. The sooner I'm back in the Premiership the better for my International cause, whether that is with Reading or with whoever."

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,391 ✭✭✭One Cold Hand

Looking increasingly likely I think. Reading appear to want to sell, and Doyle appears to want to go. I seems to be just up to Martin to go and get him.

Sidwell still injured, will miss the next game. Link

INJURY BLOW FOR SIDWELL

Steve Sidwell's wait to make his Premier League debut is set to continue after Martin O'Neill confirmed the midfielder has suffered a setback in his bid to return to fitness.

Sidwell has featured twice for Villa since signing from Chelsea in the summer for a fee of £5million, with both appearances coming in the Intertoto Cup in July.

The 25-year-old was sidelined for his side's opening Premier League win over Manchester City with a calf injury, but had been expected to return ahead of Saturday's clash at Stoke.

However, manager O'Neill has confirmed Sidwell is set to miss the game and will not return to training until next Monday.

"Steve has had a little bit of a setback - nothing major," O'Neill told the club's official website.

"We hoped he would be training this week but it looks likely to be next Monday now.

"He is feeling stiffness in both calves now. His attempts to get back are so strong, maybe he is overdoing it

Go on Martin!
    But Aston Villa manager Martin O'Neill is ready to test Rovers' resolve with a £16m bid for the 27-year-old Paraguay striker. (Various)

O'Neill is also set to up his bid for Newcastle's James Milner to £9m after already having a £7m bid rejected. (The Sun)

Also, where have we heard this before?!?
    Liverpool will not be held to ransom by Espanyol for winger Albert Riera after the Spanish club said the 26-year-old is available for £16m, but the Anfield club are only willing to pay £10m. (The Times)

Liverpool also have bids of 11m, 12m, 13m, 13.5m and an exchange deal involving 14m + a crate of pies lined up if this one fails!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,335 ✭✭✭death1234567

But Aston Villa manager Martin O'Neill is ready to test Rovers' resolve with a £16m bid for the 27-year-old Paraguay striker. (Various)

O'Neill is also set to up his bid for Newcastle's James Milner to £9m after already having a £7m bid rejected. (The Sun)
    I'll eat my own face if those two signings happen.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,074 ✭✭✭rgiller

I'll eat my own face if those two signings happen.

Man I hope we get Santa-Cruz and Milner

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,617 ✭✭✭✭PHB

Santa-Cruz and Milner would finish close to the perfect summer for Villa.
    Although, personally, I don't think you need another hold up striker, Carew is good enough and on form.

What you do need is a very good talented withdrawn striker ala Tevez Aguero Rooney and the ilk. That would give Villa a different option and really a different level. Where you get one of those though is beyond me :)

If Roque Santa Cruz will cost £16m+, is he really worth it? Are there no better strikers to be had for that kind of money, than a player with one decent season in the Premiership?

I heard Doyles' interview this morning, he said he is over valued by Reading and no club has matched the fee, I really hope we don't pay over the odds for him.

If Roque Santa Cruz will cost £16m+, is he really worth it? Are there no better strikers to be had for that kind of money, than a player with one decent season in the Premiership?
    Ah that's better :D

£16m is huge money...I'm not so sure he's worth that much but if Randy wants to pay it I could sleep at night.;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,452 ✭✭✭Time Magazine

Away shirt is out today. If I don't get the accomodation I want, it'll be my sympathy purchase later.

_44932529_agbon2_416getty.jpg

Love this photo, not least because (I think!) you can make out Randy Lerner in the crowd.

Savman wrote: »

£16m is huge money...I'm not so sure he's worth that much but if Randy wants to pay it I could sleep at night.;)

Look, just cos you don't smell what the Curt is cooking.... :pac:

Personally I'd prefer to take Doyle for 6m-8m
    • He'd be cheaper (Yes, money's not a problem but the more MON spends the more pressure to perform)
    • He knows where the back of the net is
    • He's Irish (sue me for wanting world class management for one of our players)
    • He's a great attitude and wouldn't come in swinging his dick around looking for first team football
    • Gabby/Carew would see him as just as much of a threat to keep them sharp, while at the same time not too threatened to put them off their game or knock their confidence (more in the case of Gabby imo) .

Savman wrote: »

One thing that surprises me is that last season when Chelsea were eyeing up Pizaaro, how come they didnt opt for RSC instead? I know Pizaaro was a free transfer but this is Chelsea we're talking about.

If GB stays then i think Doyle would be more than adequate, if he leaves then i feel the extra class of Santa cruz would be needed.

Nikola Zigic has been granted permission to go out on loan, so dont be surprised if MON makes a move for him.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,792 ✭✭✭✭JPA

Esse85 wrote: »
    Nikola Zigic has been granted permission to go out on loan, so dont be surprised if MON makes a move for him.

I'd be very surprised. http://www.avfc.premiumtv.co.uk/page/NewsDetail/0,,10265~1348616,00.html

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement