Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Aston Villa Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,013 ✭✭✭✭eirebhoy

Maloney has signed for Celtic according to that guy on the Celtic forum I was talking about a few days ago.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,792 ✭✭✭✭JPA

Villa being a bit nice there if it's only £1 million.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 39,009 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

Just understand this. I'm a Rovers fan by the way. Santa Cruz is going nowhere unless its our newly signed Julio Santa Cruz. And he is the reason that it won't happen. We are not a selling club, we have no worries when it comes to debts, we don't sell players just because they are good. Look at our last couple of big name sales. Duff had a clause in his contract as did Bellamy and Bentley is the type of player who won't put in the performance if he is not happy. We have a squad good enough to challenge anyone for a top six spot.

There were all the rumours surrounding Benni McCarthy last year and he was not sold.

• Registered Users Posts: 231 ✭✭DarenO

i'm not so sure a reason to stay at Blackburn is because his brother is there, i'd be under the impression that every player has a price and if 16m is enough to get us in the door, then i'd say the lure of playing with a team in Europe would prove too strong. this is nothing to do with the chances of top 6 in the PL

Villa aren't a selling club either but if Liverpool came up with 18m for Barry then the deal would have been done a long time ago

Darren

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 17,661 ✭✭✭✭Helix

wenger hinted today on ssn that hes after barry, even going so far as to say that he didnt think his being cup tied in europe til february would cause a problem

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,372 ✭✭✭✭Mr Alan

talk about hearing wat you wanna hear :rolleyes:

same Wenger who ruled out a move for Barry a couple of weeks ago?

if they were gonna move for him, they would have by now imo. I dont think they were genuinely interested, i think MON just tried to force Liverpools hand by using an existing connection to hint at Arsenals interest.

Strangely enough, they are more interested in Alonso, who they were in talks about last week-and is also cup tied.

interviewer: are you interested in gareth barry?
    wenger: *smiles* we are always interested
    interviewer: will him being cup tied cause any problems?
    wenger: no, i dont think so

he also said the other week he was not interested.

do you genuinely think that wenger would pay 18m for a cup tied English 27 year old?
    Wenger wrote:
    "I don't know if Gareth Barry will leave Aston Villa or not, but I am not on his case”

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,879 Mod ✭✭✭✭Bounty Hunter

thats just Wenger's sense of humour... being cup tied wont cause any problems as he will not sign him and he finds Barry very interesting, where he will play the season for example is interesting but he isnt going to sign him.

• Advertisement

also Helix, actually wat was said today was;

"I believe once somebody cannot play for you in Europe, it devalues the player for the season - but it is not necessarily stopping you from buying a player, said the Arsenal manager. "I can surprise you sometimes, as I got one in whom you did not expect, and there still might be one more player coming in"

Pressed on the Barry situation, Wenger offered: "There is interest always. But I do not want to give you any names.”

You making things up again Helix?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,323 ✭✭✭Savman

Lads, there's a dedicated Gareth Barry thread for this rubbish please!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,335 ✭✭✭death1234567

eagle eye wrote: »
    I'm a Rovers fan by the way. we have no worries when it comes to debts.
    Hasn't the Jack Walker trust fund money run out and the club currently are operating at a loss and looking for a takeover? Blackburn are a small town club who were bankrolled by the Abramovich of yester year Jack Walker. Now that the money is gone the club isn't sustainable as the revenue from gates and merchandise isn't enough to pay the wages of top class players. Bentley was sold off this summer as was Friedel and if RSC has another good season this year he'll be off too. Blackburn are a selling club, accept it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 657 ✭✭✭tomred1

Its a pity Maloney going, i taught he would have made it in the premier league, he just never really got a run in the team. Its strange how the scottish lads brought in never seem to shine when thay did at Celtic.

tomred1 wrote: »
    Its strange how the scottish lads brought in never seem to shine when thay did at Celtic.
    Its not strange at all. The SPL is a joke league and is way below the standard of the EPL. Even when Celtic play in the CL they can only play well when they are at home and when they go away they are found out for the joke side that they are.

Maloney gone for £2.5m
    Its a shame he's gone as he could cover a number of positions. Lets hope its a sign that new players are coming

I'm not too upset about seeing the back of Maloney, he will always be remembered as a flop. He had his chances, chipped in with the odd moment of brilliance but otherwise he wasn't good enough.

I'm sure eirebhoy will be along soon to remind us all of Maloney's undoubted ability, well I'm afraid in the cold light of day 'potential' counts for nothing if it's not realised and Shaun has been found out IMHO.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,924 ✭✭✭shoutman

I too would of liked to see Maloney stay. I know he got a few chances but at the very leasst he would be a good back up player and someone to start in the early rounds of the cups (provided we dont get united again!).

Still at least we got a profit from him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 39,009 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

Iirc correctly Maloney was homesick from the very start.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 657 ✭✭✭tomred1

It very bad bit of business on Celtics side, he leaves for free and then they have to pay to get him back. I would not want him back if i was a fan.

• Advertisement

It very bad bit of business on Celtics side, he leaves for free
    Villa paid £1m for him, he wasn't free.

It very bad bit of business on Celtics side, he leaves for free and then they have to pay to get him back. I would not want him back if i was a fan.

Well you'd be the only one. Celtic fans are very happy, villa fans don't care.

looking forward to seing Tommy Sorenson pick the ball out of his net this weekend

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,246 ✭✭✭Esse85

Scotland's senior and young player of the year in the same season. Its great business for Celtic if he can rediscover his old form.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,246 ✭✭✭Esse85

Santa Cruz has signed a new 4yr contract at Blackburn so that's the end of that.

I just heard Maloney talking on tv there, saying he never should of joined Villa in the first place. He's like a little child going on about having a tough time and being homesick, you'd swear he was from Saudi Arabia and not Scotland.

Good riddance Shaun, we wont miss you.

Esse85 wrote: »
    Santa Cruz has signed a new 4yr contract at Blackburn so that's the end of that.

I just heard Maloney talking on tv there, saying he never should of joined Villa in the first place. He's like a little child going on about having a tough time and being homesick, you'd swear he was from Saudi Arabia and not Scotland.

Good riddance Shaun, we wont miss you.

I've always wondered how a 25 year old man could be homesick like he was. Sure he could travel up every week if he wanted and I doubt he was experiencing some kind of culture shock.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,951 ✭✭✭✭Villain

I said a year ago that if Maloney isn't able to cope with travelling to a different area and play he should be a professional player, bloody joke that he still blaims homesick.

Its not strange at all. The SPL is a joke league and is way below the standard of the EPL. Even when Celtic play in the CL they can only play well when they are at home and when they go away they are found out for the joke side that they are.
    Of course the SPL is rubbish but I've never had any difficulty judging how good a Celtic player on World terms. Maloney's a class player and will go on to prove it in the CL and international level. As will Brown and McGeady. Naka and Boruc have already proven to be superb players and you get what you see with Vennegoor at any level. At the moment the rest of the team have a lot to prove but it's 6 good players.

Maloney started 5 or 6 games on the left wing for Villa. He's always been average in any other position for Celtic.
    Esse85 wrote: »
    He said he never should have left Celtic. Badly advised. Couldn't agree a contract with Celtic.

I think this is the year Celtic finally crack the European away game problem. Strachan tried a different system away to Porto and away to Feyenoord in pre-season and won both. Have a look at the goal vs Porto:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u5NQWl0fH5E

The current set of players are much more suited to Europe than the SPL. Hartley's no use in the SPL but really does well in the CL. Sorry this has nothing to do with Villa but I'll never miss an opportunity to talk about Celtic. :o;)

2 interesting developments:
    Santa Cruz signs new deal at Blackburn so that's the end of that
    http://www.skysports.com/story/0,19528,11676_4031981,00.html

Also, Scolari has pretty much said SWP can leave
    http://www.skysports.com/story/0,19528,11661_4035390,00.html

• Advertisement

SWP would be an awesome signing, hard to see who else will have the money and be able to attract him Everton maybe.

Sky Reckon we have spent 33 million, is that correct?

sounds about right including Curtis Davies permanent signing...but were not finished yet, could possiibly end up spending around 50m if a RM (SWP) and CF (Doyle) are signed. Hard to believe really Villa spending 50 million!

SWP would be a really good siging giving balance to the side and taking a hell of a lot of pressure off A.Young.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,617 ✭✭✭✭PHB

Just to remind people, post match discussion in here

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055361540

But we can discuss tactics after the game and who played well etc in here yea?

found a good stream for todays game but there is no sound anyone know where commentary could be found online a radio link or something

the stream is http://www.justin.tv/westbrom

Setanta covering the Liverpool game just said they have just heard that the Barry deal is dead and no thing will happen in the next two weeks.

• Advertisement

Stream just went???

yeah dunno whats going on Edit:its back

Setants just said that news has come from Rick Parry

anyone know what sopcast channel galaxie sport zive is on?

[URL="tvants://list.tvants.com/tvants/?k=754ba602f780b7f1f215cf8929790118"]tvants://list.tvants.com/tvants/?k=754ba602f780b7f1f215cf8929790118[/URL]

Good stream here using tvants.

cant get tvants to download

• Advertisement

33 million??? spend another 33 million MON

i cant understand our inconsistancy at all

we can look brilliant one minute, and like we've never played football before the next

how on earth can that happen?

Well considering we have bought so many defenders and a keeper we have been awful at the back for the first 2 games.

Ok it will take a while to get to used to each other but we should be better, hope the The King gets fit soon

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,951 ✭✭✭DSB

Disgusting gutless performance, Friedel was crap. Young and Carew were the only 1s who looked any use.

That was ****e. Our defence have no coordination, we seem to panic somewhat with every long ball or ball over the top.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,125 ✭✭✭homah_7ft

JPA wrote: »
    [URL="tvants://list.tvants.com/tvants/?k=754ba602f780b7f1f215cf8929790118"]tvants://list.tvants.com/tvants/?k=754ba602f780b7f1f215cf8929790118[/URL]

Good stream here using tvants.

Thanks for that. The picture quality was good just a pity the same could not be said of what I was watching.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,535 ✭✭✭Raekwon

The goal aside, Martin Laursen had a nightmare game conceding the penalty and giving the Stoke forwards way too much room. It was very uncharacteristic of Great Dane I have to say, I wonder is he fully fit?

Villa really need to get their finger out for next weeks game with Liverpool because if we play as badly as we did today we will be routed and I really don't want to see that happening especially after this summers turmoil between the two clubs.

the insistence on playing nrc out of position is really starting to irk me. hes not a right winger nor is he a right back, why he is played consistently is beyond my understanding

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,154 ✭✭✭✭Neil3030

Absolute shocker this afternoon. Just... Grrr...

Have a look at Maloney's play for Celtic's 3rd goal here:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=azf4gTEcjwU

Crap opposition or not that is the play of a truly intelligent player. I know he wasn't given much chance at Villa and I won't wreck your heads about him on this thread again (;)) but Maloney is more than good enough for most premiership teams. Someone like Liverpool would have been ideal for him as he's exactly the type of player they're looking to play on the left. £2.5m absolute bargain! Right, sorry about that. I love the guy.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement