Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Aston Villa Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,661 ✭✭✭✭Helix

i still wouldnt rule arsenal out of a barry bid

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,337 ✭✭✭✭monkey9

Villa should easily beat Pats or whatever other minnow they draw, however of course Villa were supposed to easily beat Varteks last time they were in the Wafer cup.

Pat's, a minnow!!!! Second in the Eircom League at the moment. When was the last time Villa finished second in their league!!

In fairness, Pat's would be a lot trickier than the scandanavian sides just cos it'd be more like a derby match.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,219 ✭✭✭invincibleirish

monkey9 wrote: »
    Pat's, a minnow!!!! Second in the Eircom League at the moment. When was the last time Villa finished second in their league!!

92/93, when was the last time Pool finished second in their league?:rolleyes:

92/93, when was the last time Pool finished second in their league?:rolleyes:

2001/02!

2001/02!

Good stuff. so using your logic Pool should struggle against Pats on the basis Pats are 2nd in the league now and LFC havent been second for a long while? is that the point you were trying to make?

Good stuff. so using your logic Pool should struggle against Pats on the basis Pats are 2nd in the league now and LFC havent been second for a long while? is that the point you were trying to make?

???? Yeah, that's exactly the point i was trying to make,yep! Well done!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,951 ✭✭✭DSB

In European terms, Pats are definitely a minnow.

DSB wrote: »
    In European terms, Pats are definitely a minnow.

in european terms, so are we

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,323 ✭✭✭Savman

LOL @ Pats talk....has the draw been made already?

• Advertisement

Savman wrote: »
    LOL @ Pats talk....has the draw been made already?

Sure i have my ticket already!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,407 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

Villain wrote: »
    Reira looks set for Liverpool so Barry should be safe

He didn't look 18m worth on Saturday to be fair! :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,951 ✭✭✭✭Villain

Robbie Keane didn't look anywhere near 20m! Barry has no doubt been affected but once the window closes I'm sure he'll regain his form

aside from saturday hes pretty much been our best player aside from young in every game hes played

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,372 ✭✭✭✭Mr Alan

i was about to say the same, its a credit to Barrys professionalism how well he has played since coming back into the fold. compare with the berbatov situation at Spurs for example.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,074 ✭✭✭rgiller

Mr Alan wrote: »
    i was about to say the same, its a credit to Barrys professionalism how well he has played since coming back into the fold. compare with the berbatov situation at Spurs for example.

My, my haven't you changed your tune? You switched allegiances to Villa now? Seen the error of your ways?

Back OT, any more news on the Doyle front? I'm not very excited about being linked with him, but there's not much interesting going on today...

shorey says he doesnt think doyle is coming

Shame tbh, Doyler isnt going to score 30 goals a season, but an experienced back up/alternative to Carew is definitely needed that isnt the Hare.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 39,009 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

Just on the Doyle thing, he was not in the team or on the bench tonight for their Carling Cup match. I checked injuries and bans and it doesn't appear he was banned either. Having said that, Leroy Lita is not playing either, similar situation, no bans etc.

• Advertisement

rgiller wrote: »
    My, my haven't you changed your tune? You switched allegiances to Villa now? Seen the error of your ways?

Back OT, any more news on the Doyle front? I'm not very excited about being linked with him, but there's not much interesting going on today...

emmm wat are you talking about, i've always liked Barry as a player, him wanting to play for us may have brought it to the fore on the forum, but i always thought he was a decent bloke and excellent player, that doesnt change if he stays with Villa.

if anything its Villa fans who have changed their tune since it looked like he is probably staying!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,792 ✭✭✭✭JPA

Shame tbh, Doyler isnt going to score 30 goals a season, but an experienced back up/alternative to Carew is definitely needed that isnt the Hare.

No one is going to score 30 goals!
    I would like to think MON has one or 2 shocks up his sleeve in the next 6 days but it's very quiet at the moment.
    I really hope we get Milner though, I think he's a player with massive potential to get very very good.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 39,009 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

JPA wrote: »
    No one is going to score 30 goals!
    I would like to think MON has one or 2 shocks up his sleeve in the next 6 days but it's very quiet at the moment.
    I really hope we get Milner though, I think he's a player with massive potential to get very very good.
    I don't think Keegan will let Milner go. He seems to want to keep him and he played tonight as was superb, so I can't see that happening.

eagle eye wrote: »
    I don't think Keegan will let Milner go. He seems to want to keep him and he played tonight as was superb, so I can't see that happening.

Ya but Keegan has no control of transfers. Enough money and we should get him. He's only 22, younger than Ashley Young.

younger than Ashley Young.
    Yeah, by 6 whole months.

Ashley's nearing the pension in fairness.

Savman wrote: »
    Yeah, by 6 whole months.

Ashley's nearing the pension in fairness.

I think you know what I'm saying.
    He's younger then you might think.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,109 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

I think you know what I'm saying.
    He's younger then you might think.

He's been around a long time for his age alright, same time as rooney. Didn't he break Rooney's 'youngest premiership goalscorer' record when he was at Leeds a few weeks after rooney too iirc?

Martin O'Neill is set to press ahead with his plans to sign James Milner, irrespective of the outcome of Newcastle United's board meeting today, when a decision is expected to be made on the England Under-21 international's future.

The Aston Villa manager has courted Milner for the past two years and is hopeful that he can persuade Newcastle to accept a bid in the region of £9m before the transfer window closes at midnight on Monday.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/football/2008/aug/27/astonvilla.premierleague

So nothing new there then, i hope Milner does arrive, as discussed elsewhere NRC just doesnt cut it at RW.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,391 ✭✭✭One Cold Hand

Well he can plan all he wants, but if the Newky board decide not to sell him for any price then that'll be that!:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,663 ✭✭✭The Rooster

Reading had a mixture of first teamers and second choice lads playing in the Coca Cola Cup last night. Doyle was not involved.

And Milner has just handed in a transfer request.....yoink :D

• Advertisement

Get in there MON

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,529 ✭✭✭Im_No_Superman

Get in there MON
    Milner was brilliant for Newcastle last night, would be an excellant signing.

best news ive heard in at least 9 days

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,074 ✭✭✭rgiller

If we get him, it will have been a very successful transfer period. He was pretty good for us when he was on loan in 2005 and he's improved since then.

Newcastle winger James Milner has handed in a transfer request at St James' Park.

The England Under 21 international is a reported summer target for Aston Villa, where he spent a successful season on loan in 2005/06.

Kevin Keegan is eager to retain Milner's services in the North East and sees him as an integral part of the club's long-term plans.

The winger scored one and created another in the Magpies' 3-2 extra-time victory over Coventry in the Carling Cup second round on Tuesday night.
    Very disappointed

A statement on the club's official website read: "Newcastle United can confirm that it has received a written transfer request from James Milner.

"The club is very disappointed that James sees his footballing future as being away from St James' Park. He is a valued member of the squad and it is only a year ago that he signed an improved long-term contract.

"We have yet to receive an offer for James that has matched our valuation of him.

"However, should such an offer be received then the club would be forced to consider it, given James' apparent desire to leave."

Villa are believed to have already had one bid of £7million rejected by the Magpies, who value the former Leeds United man at £9million.

right, lets open the chequebook and get him in today if possible

• Registered Users Posts: 650 ✭✭✭spiderdan

this is great news- He'd be a great signing for us IMO, great delivery- scores goals, Carew and Gabby would thrive off him, for me a better buy then SWP. Looks like the Doyle move is in doubts according to Shorey and SSN.

My main concern is our defensive- Davies 8M?? anyone having doubts, I know he's only just back, Laursen was made look like a mug against Stoke. 5 goals in 2 matches. No need to panic after 2 matches but it is a concern.

What do people reckon MON has in mind for CC? play him in a cup few matches then have him and Laursen play together eventually, bit like Guzman.

just had a call from brum, all systems go and milner is expected to make his debut against the scouse according to your mans source. i have a semi.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,951 ✭✭✭DSB

We should really be looking for a better striker than Kevin Doyle.

the choice to make there is are we looking for a first choice striker or someone whos decent but wont kick up a fuss about being benched for a good 1/2 the games at least

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,016 ✭✭✭mirwillbeback

I'll eat my own face if those two signings happen.

Looks like you could be chewing soon ;)

• Advertisement

Barry says he is staying but will not be having any contract negotiations until next summer.

• Registered Users Posts: 650 ✭✭✭spiderdan

DSB wrote: »
    We should really be looking for a better striker than Kevin Doyle.

+1 but there doesn't seem to be much on offer, Spurs are struggling to find replacements. I think the Pavlichenko signing is one of desperation as there's fook all out there. TBH I'm happy enough with Gabby and Carew with Bullet head and the Fonz as back up

Not getting into the Barry bollocks, too many false dawns this summer.

Milner & Doyle would wrap things up nicely IMHO.

dan: pavlychecnko is a far far far better player than Doyle, and is a great signing for Spurs, not one of desperation.

Mr Alan wrote: »
    Barry says he is staying but will not be having any contract negotiations until next summer.

Linky?

spiderdan wrote: »
    TBH I'm happy enough with Gabby and Carew with Bullet head and the Fonz as back up

hope to see the fonz getting a start tomorrow

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,604 ✭✭✭herbieflowers

Fonz? Bullet head?

Linky?
    It's all over SSN. Statement from Barry's agent blah blah blah.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,154 ✭✭✭✭Neil3030

Barry staying: Linky

• Advertisement

Fonz? Bullet head?

fonz = nathan delfouneso
    bullet head = magic marlon martin, painter decorator

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement