Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Aston Villa Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,074 ✭✭✭rgiller

~Rebel~ wrote: »

I know what you mean, but a 6 point gap does not in fact open as you say. It is a nice phrase to explain the importance of the match though.

You toolbox, if a team loses they're three points behind and now need to recover 6 points to get where they would have been if they had won. Of course a 6 point gap doesn't open up between the two teams, but it does between the two different outcomes. That's where 6-pointer comes from. Next week, learning your abc's

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,219 ✭✭✭invincibleirish

Villa needed a RB, any RB will do, Young has PL pedigree at least and if he doesnt impress then im sure RL will provide more cash.

Milner is a great signing, with Routledge impressive last night thats the right side sorted more or less, all Villa need ideally now is another Forward or maybe someone like Moutinho to really show off.
    Mr Alan wrote: »

(invincible:hope the repeats went well)

Oh they did, its amazing how a 2 week ban from the Soccer forum can make a man study in the summer time. thank you Mods!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,246 ✭✭✭Esse85

of the top of my head, Finnan springs to mind. But i am sure there are plenty around Europe that would fit the bill
    I dont think the relationship between the 2 clubs would of made this an easy signing. Liverpool will still need Finnan, as he's still the no.1 RB at the club, its just a smally matter of time before the manager sees this.

Young is tried and tested at this level, he's a steady player, MON knows what'll he get from him, an un proven player in europe would of been more of a gamble.

Anyway its not as RB is the spine of the team.

Villa needed a RB, any RB will do, Young has PL pedigree at least and if he doesnt impress then im sure RL will provide more cash.

Milner is a great signing, with Routledge impressive last night thats the right side sorted more or less, all Villa need ideally now is another Forward or maybe someone like Moutinho to really show off.

Oh they did, its amazing how a 2 week ban from the Soccer forum can make a man study in the summer time. thank you Mods!
    What cousrse are you doing and where?

Also what was the ban for?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,072 ✭✭✭✭event

eagle eye wrote: »
    So yes you are a troll. ;)

you've done it now:pac:

Esse85 wrote: »
    What cousrse are you doing and where?

Also what was the ban for?

UCC (very few hours p/w = lots of time on Villa thread)

My ban was saying something about Liam Gallagher which breached the forum charter. I've reformed my ways and become a new man in my forced exile, no longer shall i dissent.

Now i see the Villa Pool thread is up oh yes...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,617 ✭✭✭✭PHB

The transfers aren't about just who was brought in, its about how good they'll be for the team.

Young and Shorey are good solid young full backs, who both have the potential possibly at their peak for 2-3 to play for a top 4 team.

Milner has ooddles of potential, he's still only 22 for crying out loud. He fills a hole in the squad that has been hurting Villa for years. He has recieved interest from a lot of the top 4 clubs for a reason, he's got potential. MON helped Young develop in a similar way to which he could help Milner.

Sidwell is an excellent signing. He hasn't played in 18 months, but I doubt he's gone back hugely as a footballer, indeed training with the Chelsea midfielders will have helped him. When he readjusts him and Barry will make a mean partnership, possibly the best outside the top 4.

Friedel was a cheap decent signing in a problem area. Nothing amazing but not a big drop on Carson.

Cuellar I know nothing about, but once again its a problem area and we'll just have to wait and see.

MON addressed pretty much all of Villas problems this season. They've lost one player, Melborg, but nothing else. They have added depth to their already impressive top 11. And they've added some quality with Sidwell and Milner.
    Can't really ask for more.

Well no, there is one thing they could look for, and thats a young talented 17-18 year, preferably in the withdrawn striker position, who could develop into a top class player. Those are tough to find though

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,323 ✭✭✭Savman

I can see the match thread getting pretty heated...so think I'll avoid.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,323 ✭✭✭Savman

PHB wrote: »
    The transfers aren't about just who was brought in, its about how good they'll be for the team.
    Agreed, on their own they're decidedly average but I think as far as MON is concerned it's about it being the sum of its parts adding up to that little extra.

Well no, there is one thing they could look for, and thats a young talented 17-18 year, preferably in the withdrawn striker position, who could develop into a top class player. Those are tough to find though

Delfuenso is the next big thing out of VP, havent seen him play so it could just be hype but hopefully throughout the season we'll start seeing enough glimpses of him to make us really excited this time next year.

• Advertisement

UCC, doing BSc in Government(very few hours p/w = lots of time on Villa thread)

My ban was saying something about Liam Gallagher which breached the forum charter. I've reformed my ways and become a new man in my forced exile, no longer shall i dissent.

Now i see the Villa Pool thread is up oh yes...
    Ah very good, the reason i ask is cos im starting 4th year in CIT

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,154 ✭✭✭✭Neil3030

If I'd offered this potential scenario to you back in April what would you have said?

Friedel

----L.Young
    Davies
    Laursen
    Bouma

Milner
    Sidwell
    Barry
    Young

Carew
    Agbonlahor

Subs:
    Guzan
    Cuellar
    Shorey
    Reo-Coker
    Gardner
    Harewood
    Delfouneso

YES PLEASE

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,951 ✭✭✭✭Villain

Looks good, we still lack a good attacking option from the bench but other than that I'm happy

Man how much I'd love us to make a cheeky bid for Arshavin...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,372 ✭✭✭✭Mr Alan

he is available...and yous have the money.

Ah very good, the reason i ask is cos im starting 4th year in CIT

Very good, CIT is roughly a 30 second drive from where i live so if i see a Villa shirt around i'll give a beep!. Lets not let our institutional rivalry takeaway form our mutual love of Villa though:pac:.

Very good, CIT is roughly a 30 second drive from where i live so if i see a Villa shirt around i'll give a beep!. Lets not let our institutional rivalry takeaway form our mutual love of Villa though:pac:.
    Ha ha ill be moving in to my accommodation next week, id seen another guy in a villa strip in CIT, i wondered was that you:D

Lets no get into that rivalry, there's enough arguments going on without the need for us to create our own!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,372 ✭✭✭✭Mr Alan

your little CIT/UCC love in is making me sick

;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,661 ✭✭✭✭Helix

but keane is undoubtadly in a different league to Milner.

but milner is 22

• Advertisement

Well no, there is one thing they could look for, and thats a young talented 17-18 year, preferably in the withdrawn striker position, who could develop into a top class player

we already have him

Milner is probably worth about £8m now, but seen as he's only 22, he's got loads of time to develop and become a more rounded player thus increasing his value beyond £12m

to aston villa, james milner is worth £13m easily

1) it gives us balance to the team
    2) it allows us to play nrc in his proper position
    3) itll stop teams putting 2 players on young
    4) it means double the service for carew

its exactly what we needed so his value to the club will likely far exceed the price we paid for him, even if the cost doesnt necessarily represent his current ability

he is available...and yous have the money.

arshavin is a mercenary

no chance of him going to villa park, nor would i want him

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,711 ✭✭✭✭machiavellianme

rgiller wrote: »
    Two teams on equal points play each other. One team wins, goes three points ahead or loses and goes three points behind. Although only 3 points has been gained or lost, there is a 6 point gap between those two positions
    What are you talking about, its a 3 point gap.
    rgiller wrote: »
    in that the losing team will need to recover 6 points to get to the winning team's position. Only really counts for teams aiming for the same spot in the table. Come on, it's not that difficult to understand...
    Surely only 3 points are required? Then Goal difference etc come into play, otherwise 4 points will do, but either way its not a 6 point game if other games are required after.
    monkey9 wrote: »
    Jaysus, that's a fairly pedantic post, was there a need for it? If two teams are going for the same spot in the league and they play each other and there's a winner, well then the winning team gets three points and prevents the other team from gaining three points, hence the six pointer.
    Thats still only a 3 point increase for the victor on the table. Everything else is nonsense.
    monkey9 wrote: »
    And i'll also like to pedantically point out seeing as it's in fashion that that phrase has been around a lot longer than Sky Sports has.
    Really? I dont remember hearing it back then. When was it first used? Links?

I will concede one thing, if Liverpool win on Sunday, it will be the game that puts them 6 points ahead of Villa based on current points on the table, but thats not what is implied by the phrase.

six pointer is decades old afaik

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,711 ✭✭✭✭machiavellianme

Helix wrote: »
    six pointer is decades old afaik

so is sky sports...(1990's and 2000's) so that proves nothing. Its still an inane phrase with no meaning.

• Advertisement

youre a pedantic one arent you

its around long before sky

the meaning as as follows:

team a and team b are level on points at the foot of the table. if team a wins, they go 3 points clear, a 6 point swing on if team b had won. hence the term. its very very very simple

• Registered Users Posts: 1,299 ✭✭✭villains77

but milner is 22
    yea he is indeed he rubbish how many games for club and country has he had a bad game. he was muck in the liege game

villains77 wrote: »
    yea he is indeed he rubbish how many games for club and country has he had a bad game. he was muck in the liege game

who are you talking about? milner didnt play against liege :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,299 ✭✭✭villains77

who are you talking about? milner didnt play against liege :confused:
    i never said milner played against liege u twat i was taliking about robbie keane

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,924 ✭✭✭shoutman

Why are people so angry, all this talk of six pointers and robbie keane.....

I know this isnt the proper thread but i'm not visiting the liverpool villa match thread as a form of protest.... I just hope the same striking partnership from wednesday turns up on sunday for Liverpool. Cause they were pretty shocking.

• Advertisement

villains77 wrote: »
    i never said milner played against liege u twat i was taliking about robbie keane

if you were talking about keane why did you post a quote about milner

surely you can see why i didnt have a clue what you were on about

reports in france saying we're in talks with PSG for Peguy Luyindula

anyone know if hes any use? goalscoring record is almost 1 in 4, which is pretty rubbish

0,,10265~3771032,00.jpg

Martin O'Neill's men today gathered for the annual photocall. All our new signings - James Milner, Carlos Cuellar, Brad Friedel, Brad Guzan, Steve Sidwell, Luke Young, Nicky Shorey and Curtis Davies - were on hand for the shoot. Villa's stars were also delighted with the presence of the injured Wilfred Bouma.

This as the photo that was postponed from a few weeks ago yea?

Possibly an indication the MON is happy with his transfer signings and mightn't be adding any more?

Thought that myself for a while, but look at last year's:

0,,10265~3387726,00.jpg

Clearly a few additions afterwards!

Match on Sunday, Internationals next week, makes sense to take it now.

shoutman wrote: »
    This as the photo that was postponed from a few weeks ago yea?

Possibly an indication the MON is happy with his transfer signings and mightn't be adding any more?

ill be surprised if theres not at least one more, possibly a loan and a young lad

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,016 ✭✭✭mirwillbeback

This might sound odd, but I am up since 6am, couldnt sleep cos this game is on my mind so much. I have no time for Liverpool, all my mates support them and this is a season for us to make or break them. If we don't crack the top four, Liverpool will have another 50m or so to pull further away from us. I know it's early in the season, but I couldnt see us make up six points on them. Our best hope is to edge them out by 1 or 2 pts come the end of the season, so we can't afford to give them a head start.
    I'm confident about today's game, but then I was confident last year and we were outplayed for long periods.
    And I also seem to recall that Keane makes a habit of scoring against us.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,951 ✭✭✭✭Villain

We won't crack the top 4, no chance this year, I would have thought it was obvious that MON is slowly building a squad that might be able to challenge in the next 3 seasons.

We have spent big money and bought a fairly decent number for players but just have a look at the squad photo we are simply at a normal squad size now, if we secure 5th or 6th this year then MON will build again, the top 4 won't change this year or next imo

my roll of never seeing us conceded a league goal continues (up til thursday id never seen us concede a goal full stop, but thats by the wayside now), but frustratingly every game this season has yielded 4 or more goals apart from 3

the 3 i was at

my roll of never seeing us conceded a league goal continues (up til thursday id never seen us concede a goal full stop, but thats by the wayside now), but frustratingly every game this season has yielded 4 or more goals apart from 3

the 3 i was at

Haha! Sorry but you have to just laugh at such rotten luck! Perhaps from now on you could wait outside the ground for the first half, let us get in front, then come inside for the second half so we can hold out for the win?

Mirror reporting we're upping our bid for Ashton. Link here. After Gabby's performance (if you wish to be so charitable labelling it as such) this afternoon I think I could muster up an extra inch or two on my already outstretched arms for the lad, regardless of his injurious tendencies.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,951 ✭✭✭DSB

Gabby is class though, just inconsistent, so it would be lovely to have someone else to bang em in when he isn't firing on all cylinders.

no player is class AND inconsistant

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,391 ✭✭✭One Cold Hand

Yeah Gabby can be absolutely brilliant at times, but far too often he goes a whole game completely anonymous. He needs to develop a lot of consistency.

and a footballing brain

if hes forced to do things on instinct, it works

if he even has half a second to think about it its a disaster

• Registered Users Posts: 857 ✭✭✭wynters

Aston Villa eye £15m Dean Ashton

Sep 1 2008 By Bill Howell, Birmingham Mail

MARTIN O’Neill is in the process of trying to thrash out as many as three transfers today with West Ham having put a £15million price tag on striking target Dean Ashton

O’Neill ideally wants to add two strikers to his numbers with just three senior forwards on his books.

He has a long-standing interest in Reading’s Kevin Doyle who scored a hat-trick at the weekend whilst Swedish striker Henrik Larsson is now available from Helsignborgs but has attracted interest from Everton and Arsenal.

O’Neill is also after full-back cover and he expects to be working right up until the midnight deadline.

He said: “We are still looking. We have got a few enquiries to make and we are seeing if we can still do anything.

“One or two thoughts that we had last week may yet come to fruition, but I was delighted to get James Milner in and if I could get a bit more cover in to take us through then I would do that.”

The Irishman says he “cannot be sure” of finalising any of his last day moves.

“We have some calls in that we made last week.

“Some clubs said they would get back to us today. The timing is tight.

“We could just do with getting one or two people in.”

O’Neill says short term deals are also an option.

“The loan market is still a possibility”, he said.

“We’ve got some games coming up and we will be going steadily at it between now and Christmas, so it is a case of making sure - if we can - that we can see this period through.

“We can get another three players in and get injury problems. We might not get anyone else but might be okay.”

hmmmm... 2 from Ashton, Doyle and Larsson would be nice! :D

Worryingly quiet today though other than this piece. Fingers crossed!!

Dean Ashton coming to VP would be excellent but we'll see what happens, its an unusual transfer deadline day for Villa fans methinks, normally MON leaves us hanging until the last day for any signings but what with the turnover of players this summer even without any signings today its still been a good window.

But a forward like Ashton would be the icing on the cake for what has been a great summer for Villa.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,951 ✭✭✭DSB

No striker coming in? Despite a pretty good summer spending in general, this is very dissapointing. Hopefully the last 20 minutes will bring some joy.

Looks like there is no last minute signing coming into Villa Park.

Although it would be nice, i'm still content with the ambition shown by the club.

ola toivonen

£1.6m

apparently

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,391 ✭✭✭One Cold Hand

ola toivonen

£1.6m

apparently

20 goal a season striker I assume?

This discussion has been closed.