Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Aston Villa Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,219 ✭✭✭invincibleirish

Yep, positives include the second string getting a run out like Harewood, Routledge & Salifou. Cuellar looked alright and got 90 mins.

Villa didnt need to get out of 2nd gear anyway as LL did the job for them.

Roll on a comfy 2nd leg and UEFA group stages, Milan anyone?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,661 ✭✭✭✭Helix

pretty embarrassing, but its job done

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,924 ✭✭✭shoutman

Delighted to get that result although the performance really wasn't inspiring.

Salifou has some pace about him which is a good thing... and balou passed to set up the third goal something that villa haven't been good at lately (2 on 1 situations). Also Gabby looked uninspiring in a loan role up front, would have preferred us playing two up front today.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,246 ✭✭✭Esse85

How did Milner play?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,014 ✭✭✭✭titan18

Will Ashley Young play this weekend?

• Advertisement

titan18 wrote: »
    Will Ashley Young play this weekend?
    He's a big doubt.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,793 ✭✭✭✭JPA

Esse85 wrote: »
    He's a big doubt.

Pretty sure he'll play.
    artin O'Neill is hopeful John Carew, Curtis Davies and Ashley Young will all be fit to face West Brom on Sunday.

Carew didn't travel to Bulgaria for the UEFA Cup tie after injuring his ankle against Tottenham while Ashley Young and Curtis Davies saw no action after taking knocks to their knees.

But MON is confident all three will play a part at the Hawthorns.

He told AVTV: "Things are looking up injury-wise.

"We took Curtis out against Litex Lovech as a precaution. He would have played if we had wanted him to.

"His knee looked a bit puffed up on the day of the game but he's feeling much, much better now as is the case with Ashley and John.

"We are encouraged at the moment. We have another day or two to go but I am hopeful they will be fit."

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,535 ✭✭✭Raekwon

Name the Villa side that beat Atletico Madrid in the UEFA Cup QF in 1998.

Click here to play.

Got them all but
    Draper
    ... Not bad considering I was only nine at the time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 39,011 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

I forgot
    Taylor
    , but I have to admit I would not have got Draper either only for it was posted before I began.

• Advertisement

Sorry about that eagle eye, I put in the spoiler now, maybe you could do the same for yer man.

Another win. :D
    The lads clearly tired in the 2nd half but they coped with the little attacking WBA offered.

Its great to get the 3 points, Petrov was my man of the match, i taught he read the game superbly and got through an awful lot of work. Laurson and Davies looked solid at the back. Carew played well up top.

Shorey was poor, he seems too relaxed, lacks pace and in the first half just kept lofting the ball up to Carew instead of keeping it simple.

Gabby apart from the goal is like a headless chicken, he lost the ball every time, he really needs to develop his game.

Overall its been a very pleasing week, 3 away wins.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,323 ✭✭✭Savman

Lot of them looked knackered, so all things considered it was a great away win. Reo Coker is turning out to be a fantastic player.

Gabby....ho hum. Class goal, did work hard all afternoon but there's just something self defeating in his all round game. One of those players that when he's good he's really really good but when he's bad he's woeful.

Still tho, can't criticize 3 away wins in 6 days.:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,951 ✭✭✭✭Villain

We played well but looked very tired I would have thought Milner would have come on earlier, nice to see Cuellar getting a few minutes. If we can keep picking up wins away from home we could be in a nice position come xmas.

I just love the way MON gets so into the emotion of the game, he really does kick evey ball and looks so happy when we win.

We play again on Wednesday :eek:
    MON has to pretty much field a second string against QPR...cos we've the Sunderland game on Saturday and can't afford any niggly injuries.

Oh btw, has anybody seen Steve Sidwell?

imo we need to stick out the kids and take a beating if its coming to us on wednesday

we have bigger fish to fry than the league cup, and while i dont agree with throwing away games for the sake of it, i think a continued involvement on all 4 fronts will destroy us in the long term

This is the best of the rest:

Guzan

L. Young - Knight - Cuellar - Shorey (needs games)

Routledge - Salifou - Gardner - Milner

Delfouneso - Harewood

jimmy is cup tied

• Advertisement

Helix wrote: »
    jimmy is cup tied
    ah shoite.

Start Osbourne so.

id give steiber a game on the left

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,452 ✭✭✭Time Magazine

There was a good post on avfcblog.com the other day about the League Cup. Basically it says we should focus as much on it as the league, because everyone likes silverware.

Still think the lads look knackered though and would be up for fielding a team pretty much the same as above for both the QPR and Litvek matches, though obviously a little stronger to ensure there's no shocks in the Uefa.

It's extremely possible we'll beat QPR, Sundireland and Litvek. When was the last time we won six in a row?

Also, thank you Man City :pac:

It's a tough one to call. O'Neill is fond of the League Cup, so it won't be all out reserves, but he has to give game time to Harewood and Knight etc. They have been good servants to the club when there was less competition for places so I personally think the Carling Cup is the perfect platform for them to show what they can do in a very competitive fixture.

We cannot, neigh must not, take our eyes of the prize and think we're sorted in the League and bank it all on a Cup Final appearance.

Hands up who'd swap places with Spurs?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,372 ✭✭✭✭Mr Alan

Friedel seems to be having a bit of a nightmare since his move to VP? a few goals hes been at fault for now

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,852 ✭✭✭✭Nalz

Off topic slightly - but it will be an absolute joke if Agbonlahor and Young are not in the England squad next time out.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,335 ✭✭✭death1234567

I agree it was a good win at the weekend but the players looked cream crackered. Definately need to make some changes for QPR but NOT changing every player like said above.

I'd go

Freidel

Young - King Carlos - Davies - Shorey
    Young - Gardner - Stan - NRC
    Harewood - Gabby

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,518 ✭✭✭matrim

Savman wrote: »
    This is the best of the rest:

Guzan

L. Young - Knight - Cuellar - Shorey (needs games)

Routledge - Salifou - Gardner - Milner

Delfouneso - Harewood

It's not a bad second string to have but it lacks that spark up front (unless Delfouneso can do it).

For QPR I'd like to see

Guzan

L. Young - Davies - Cuellar - Shorey

Routledge - Reo-Croker - Gardner - Young

Delfouneso - Harewood

With players like Davies \ Young taken off if we get ahead early on.

The reason for Davies and Cuellar, is that they need to play together to get a partnership going.

Also does anyone know what's wrong with Sidwell? Is he still injured?

• Advertisement

Think Sidwell had a further injury setback in a reserve game last week, could defo do with him back.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,452 ✭✭✭Time Magazine

Lads both Ashley and Reo-Coker looked knackered against WBA. They need resting.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,154 ✭✭✭✭Neil3030

Last season MON's team for the Carling Cup match with Leicester was:

Taylor
    Mellberg----Davies----Knight
    Barry
    Petrov---Osbourne---Reo-Coker--Maloney

Harewood
    Agbonlahor

Subs Used: Berger, Young, Moore
    Subs Not Used: Carson, Gardner.

So I reckon we'll see a bit of rotation, but at least 4 or 5 first-teamers getting the nod.

Something like:

Guzan

Young
    Cuellar
    Davies
    Barry
    Routledge----Gardner----Petrov
    Milner

Harewood
    Agbonlahor

Subs:
    Friedel
    Shorey
    Knight
    Reo-Coker
    Young
    Osbourne
    Carew

I agree about Young & NRC, Ashley in particular had a quiet game on Sunday.

Obviously we can expect a few first teamers but only so long as it's limited to those who really need game time. I'm looking Shorey's direction, possibly Luke Young too (do no harm). Most certainly Cuellar will start.

Not sure if MON will go with a Carlos/Knight partnership, could be well dodgy.

Milner is cup tied, people keep putting him in.:)

QPR predictions? Tricky enough game but I can't see us losing this one considering we're back at home after such a good week.

Although winning at Spurs and losing at home to QPR is something Villa are always capable of.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 657 ✭✭✭tomred1

I just hope he gives the fringe players a run out and rests NRC,A Young, Barry etc. IT will be toughm game as QPR aren't bad side.

He probably won't rest as many as we hope he will. Hope Routledge starts though.

I can see Gabby and Young and maybe NRC being rested, Routledge, Harewood and Osbourne coming in, if barry is rested then gardner can replace him, we should still have the beating of QPR.

VILLA: Guzan; Gardner, Knight, Cuellar, Shorey; Osbourne, Petrov, Barry, Young; Carew, Harewood. Subs: Friedel, Agbonlahor, Delfouneso, Davies, Salfou, Routledge, Reo-Coker.

Six changes but Barry, Carew and Young all playing. Hopefully with such a strong midfield we might get a few up and be able to take them off.

• Advertisement

magic marlon misses another sitter

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,951 ✭✭✭DSB

Sick of the league cup not being taken seriously. Zat Knight should not be in any team in any competition.

That was a strong team so it's a disappointing result.
    Can only think it was a lack of motivation for the players.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,618 ✭✭✭eigrod

That was a shocking result for Aston Villa.

JPA wrote: »
    That was a strong team so it's a disappointing result.
    Can only think it was a lack of motivation for the players.

Strongish, I wouldn't say strong. Pretty far from the team that really should have been playing. Of course if we take 3 points from the match at the weekend it'll be justified enough but if we don't then questions have to be asked as to why we're not chasing silverware, still can't argue with our amazing start. Tonight just leaves a bad taste in the mouth.

DSB wrote: »
    Strongish, I wouldn't say strong. Pretty far from the team that really should have been playing. Of course if we take 3 points from the match at the weekend it'll be justified enough but if we don't then questions have to be asked as to why we're not chasing silverware, still can't argue with our amazing start. Tonight just leaves a bad taste in the mouth.

Ya strongish but with 3 of our star players. If we win on Saturday we'll soon forget alright.

Savman wrote: »
    Although winning at Spurs and losing at home to QPR is something Villa are always capable of.
    Maaaan I'm tired of being right :rolleyes:

Woeful result. Again.

I've only read one match review but from what i gather the Hare missed about 5 chances and Barry missed one 1v1 situation.

But tbh i'm not too disappointed whatsoever. Yes everyone likes silverware, but I think going far in League cup, FA cup, Uefa cup and having a good finishing place in the league is beyond our current squad. I'd be far happier with a quarter/semi final in the uefa cup with a fifth place finish in the league then winning the League cup, getting nowhere in the other two cup competitions and finishing 8th in the League.

MON made the right choice with regards to team selection in my opinion (maybe Routledge should of been starting) we seemed to have enough chances to win but were just lacking a striker upfront, perhaps the Fonz instead of the Hare might of sufficed with some clinical finishing. Either way 3 points on saturday and i'm happy enough.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,391 ✭✭✭One Cold Hand

I'm a bit disappointed. But it's more that we lost to QPR than the fact that we're out of the League Cup. As shoutman says, 3 long cups runs and high league finish really isn't possible. I agree, a good run in the FA or UEFA Cup, and 5th or 6th would be a good season.

I don't quite understand O'Neill's team selection. He either values the League Cup and wants to win it, or he doesn't.
    If he values it, he should play his full strength team, or very close to it, possibly resting Laursen, maybe Carew. If he doesn't value it, then rest everyone. As I see it, he got caught half way. If he'd rested Barry, Young, Petrov, Carew, then everyone would have been fresh for the weekend. I'd like to have seen Fonzy, Salifou, Routledge etc get a run. We may have lost anyway, but I reckon there would have been a lot bigger effort from players trying to prove a point.

Just my take on it.

As far as I can see I think he values the League Cup but thought he could get by QPR while resting a few players. It did of course backfire though.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement