Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Aston Villa Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,661 ✭✭✭✭Helix

shoutman wrote: »
    Helix, your anti Gaby comments are really getting on my nerves of late

well boo hoo. the chap is wasting his potential and it pisses me off
    No one claims Gaby is a world beater, he is the best we have and is a good player.

gabby is not the best we have, that would be john carew. gabby is the second best we have, and thats pretty shocking.
    The rest of the squad aren't taking the piss when saying that himself and Ash Young should be given a call up to the full England team.

agbonlahor doesnt deserve to be anywhere near the england squad. christ on a bike have you actually seen any of our games or do you just watch highlights?

how can you not see gabby walking around uninterested, running the ball into opponents time after time after time, wasting possession, refusing to pass when players are in better positions etc. the list goes on. if youre telling me that you cant see that then i really cant for one second believe that you have seen more than a handful of villa games in the last year, or that youre doing anything other than looking at things through claret tinted specs

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,323 ✭✭✭Savman

Sorry I forgot, Helix has a season ticket so the rest of us are merely clueless armchair supporters :rolleyes:

Savman wrote: »
    Sorry I forgot, Helix has a season ticket so the rest of us are merely clueless armchair supporters :rolleyes:

me oul lads an arsenal fan and he can see it

everyone i work with supports different teams and they can see it

stop being so blinkered, the chap is utter piss 95% of the time

*edit*

and the worst thing about that, is that if he wasnt so bloody good the other 5%, it wouldnt be so annoying

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,924 ✭✭✭shoutman

Helix you are clearly set in your ways that Gaby is brutal.

By saying he is the best we have I mean he is the best partner to Carew we have, you are having a laugh if you think Fonz is near to Gaby's standard. His goal against blackburn shows how good he can be, and yes I agree that he could show more effort but I wouldn't sell him just because he could chase down a few more balls.... I think it will be hard for us to get someone better then him unless the likes of RSQ is signed.

And as for me seeing Aston Villa play, I have only missed about three games this year so I know how people are performing.

Can I ask if you think Carew always performs to his potential?

carew doesnt always perform to his potential, far from it, but what youll get out of an out of sorts john carew 9 times out of 10 is effort. gabby lacks the ability to bother his hole most of the time

I think it will be hard for us to get someone better then him unless the likes of RSQ is signed.

oba martins would be a good place to start looking

Helix wrote: »
    me oul lads an arsenal fan and he can see it

everyone i work with supports different teams and they can see it

stop being so blinkered, the chap is utter piss 95% of the time
    So your aulfella and your work buddies think Gabby's "utter piss"? Oh well why didn't you say so earlier, hard to argue against 'me mate sez he's crap' logic.

Stop being so negative and stick up for your f*cking team once in a while.

So your aulfella and your work buddies think Gabby's "utter piss"? Oh well why didn't you say so earlier, hard to argue against 'me mate sez he's crap' logic.

Stop being so negative and stick up for your f*cking team once in a while.

why would i stick up for a player who doesnt bother, and rarely seems to care? ill stick up for anyone else in the team apart from gabby. just coz we support villa doesnt mean we have to blindly pretend that everyone we have is deadly

unless gabby doesnt sort himself out hes not good enough

potential doesnt get you anywhere, achievement does. and unless he gets the finger our hes gonna be another darius vassell

Have you seen Martins play this season other then tonight?

ill stick up for anyone else in the team apart from gabby.

I think this statement says it all. Gaby has performed fantastic for the Under 21's and has done a good job for villa this season too (whether you say so or not).

Did Gaby sleep with your missus or something?

• Advertisement

Have you seen Martins play this season other then tonight?

yup, when he gets supply he always looks dangerous. obviously for the first x games of the season newcastle couldnt actually manage to get the ball into the oppositions half tho so there wasnt much to see.

ive been saying it in this thread for god knows how long that we should be looking at him, its not a "oh he scored against us we should sign him" thing

I think this statement says it all. Gaby has performed fantastic for the Under 21's and has done a good job for villa this season too (whether you say so or not).

Did Gaby sleep with your missus or something?

gabby has scored in 5 games out of 19

he has played well in 4 games out of 19

if thats what you class as a good job, then you know what, you fully deserved our performance tonight

unless gabby doesnt sort himself out hes not good enough
    Current PL Goalscoring Charts:
    1. Anelka 8
    2. Zaki 8
    3. Agbonlahor 6
    4. Robinho 6
    5. Ronaldo 6
    6. Adebayor 6
    7. Bent 5
    8. Carew 5
    9. Defoe 5
    10. Fuller 5
    11. Geovanni 5
    12. Lampard 5
    13. Torres 5
    14. Van Persie 5
    15. Bednar 4
    16. Crouch 4
    17. Davies 4
    18. Kuyt 4
    19. Mido 4
    20. Alves 3

Yeah, utter piss.

Current PL Goalscoring Charts:
    1. Anelka 8
    2. Zaki 8
    3. Agbonlahor 6
    4. Robinho 6
    5. Ronaldo 6
    6. Adebayor 6
    7. Bent 5
    8. Carew 5
    9. Defoe 5
    10. Fuller 5
    11. Geovanni 5
    12. Lampard 5
    13. Torres 5
    14. Van Persie 5
    15. Bednar 4
    16. Crouch 4
    17. Davies 4
    18. Kuyt 4
    19. Mido 4
    20. Alves 3

Yeah, utter piss.

hes scored in 4 games, he got 3 in one of them. hes played well in 3 games out of 11. the fact that he sits high on the scoring list is down to 7 minutes of brilliance against man city

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,815 ✭✭✭Charlie

Oi, hands off Oba lads!

As a neutral, something that struck me tonight was that John Carew seemed to be played woefully out of position. Time and time again he would pick the ball up, only to slow up and move out wide right looking to knock the ball in.

Shouldn't John Carew be the man in the box having the ball whipped into him.

Really felt you lads lacked alot of bite in the middle tonight. I'm not having a pop here, but I haven't seen our lads have such an easy time, and so much space in the middle of the park all season.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,219 ✭✭✭invincibleirish

Dont care about pro or anti Gabby rhetoric, however i do hope MON forcefully reminds him of his miss and makes him realise that misses like that can change seasons. Villa were on top in terms of chances in the first half and looked good for a goal. Did'nt turn up in the 2nd half.

Thought Barry & NRC had poor games, poor passing and ball retention galore.

hes scored in 4 games, he got 3 in one of them. hes played well in 3 games out of 11. the fact that he sits high on the scoring list is down to 7 minutes of brilliance against man city
    Riiight. You could make yourself believe in aliens if you wanted to. I'm fairly certain you just like going against the flow to give you something to rant about. This month it's Gabby, next month it'll probably be MON (again) or Petrov (again). Zzzzzzzzzz.

Anyway, roll on Thursday.

so, youre saying gabby has played brilliantly all season? he doesnt give the ball away too much? he doesnt keep his head down too much? he doesnt walk around uninterested too much?

answer me that

Really felt you lads lacked alot of bite in the middle tonight. I'm not having a pop here, but I haven't seen our lads have such an easy time, and so much space in the middle of the park all season.

The difference was Petrov not being available and losing his consistency, he's canny ability of taking the ball off opponents toes was more missed then i imagined it would be tonight, Barry? pfft anonymous.

• Advertisement

so, youre saying gabby has played brilliantly all season? he doesnt give the ball away too much? he doesnt keep his head down too much? he doesnt walk around uninterested too much?

answer me that
    No, he scores goals. End of. You can concern yourself with his style, but his stats speak for themselves. Goals win games and it's a results driven sport btw.

No, he scores goals. End of. You can concern yourself with his style, but his stats speak for themselves. Goals win games and it's a results driven sport btw.

i see, so scoring in 5 games out of 19 is more than enough to forget about his laziness and lack of performance when he has the ball?

fair enough

i dont

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,452 ✭✭✭Time Magazine

Lads the issue here is what ye're looking at.

Helix, everyone agrees that Gabby looks like a skanger messing outside his local shop for 80 minutes per game. But, a bit like a goalkeeper, it doesn't matter if he scores a goal/makes a wonder-save once a game.

Savman, I think Helix's point is that yeah his goal-scoring record is good, but maybe if he changed his game to be more industrious he'd have another two or three goals this season.. and we'd be 3rd.

I don't think anyone suggests Gabby should be dropped (except maybe for a game or two) for the Fonz. Similarly I don't think anyone disagrees the lazy prick needs a bit of competition.

You're both describing different parts of the same elephant imho.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 657 ✭✭✭tomred1

Oi, hands off Oba lads!

As a neutral, something that struck me tonight was that John Carew seemed to be played woefully out of position. Time and time again he would pick the ball up, only to slow up and move out wide right looking to knock the ball in.

Shouldn't John Carew be the man in the box having the ball whipped into him.

This is the reason we didn't score last night, i don't know whos fault it was but why Carew never got in the box when Young/Milner had the ball on the wing is beyond me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,951 ✭✭✭✭Villain

Good god sometimes I wonder what Villa some Villa fans want, Helix mouted off about MON, wouldn't give hime a chance of signing players he's crap in the transfer window etc etc, then MON goes and spends a fortune on very good buys and gets us off to a great start so now you look to the what negative you find and you pick on Gabby who is scoring goals and winning games for us.

How about you look at the f*cking positives for once Helix?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,246 ✭✭✭Esse85

That performance last night was shocking, the team looked knackered from kick off, i cant see any positives from the game. I hope Sidwell starts ahead of NRC next game.

Reo Coker and Barry were non existent in the middle of the park. Then playing NRC at rb is suicidal, when will MON learn that this just cant play here.

Shorey is a weak link on the left, we need Bouma back ASAP. The worrying thing for me is when we go a goal down and i look at the bench, the lack of a goalscoring threat is sickening.

As for Gabby's miss, none of us can really be surprised.

• Advertisement

Villain wrote: »
    Good god sometimes I wonder what Villa some Villa fans want, Helix mouted off about MON, wouldn't give hime a chance of signing players he's crap in the transfer window etc etc, then MON goes and spends a fortune on very good buys and gets us off to a great start so now you look to the what negative you find and you pick on Gabby who is scoring goals and winning games for us.
    i said this was mons summer to prove himself in teh transfer market after being poor up til then. he proved himself in the transfer market, no doubt about it
    How about you look at the f*cking positives for once Helix?

i look at the positives where there are positives. john carew is a positive, ash young is a positive, stilyan petrov performing the single most impressive turnaround in form ive ever seen is a positive, carlos cuellar is a positive, a decent bench for the first time in recent memory is a positive

gabby agbonlahor having no competition and being given free reign to wander around spectating and not bothering his hole is not a positive. john carew has scored less goals than gabby, but has been infinitely better for the team. if gabby was half the player carew is we wouldnt be having this conversation

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,518 ✭✭✭matrim

answer me that

He can be a bit lazy at times, but our 2 best chances of the game last night came about with Gabby involved. His own miss and he's the one who set up Young.

Nobody's saying that he's the greatest striker in the world, and we do need someone there to challenge for his place and make him up the workrate with competition, but you can't deny that he's doing a job and getting us goals at them moment, even if he's not always the best.

see the thing is that i dont think there arent buckets of forwards whod do a better job than gabby

• Registered Users Posts: 650 ✭✭✭spiderdan

Very disappointing result, typical though just as we're about to step up to the big time it goes slightly pare shaped!!

100% there will be another striker at the club no doubt, 99% it'll be Doyle which given his recent performances I'll be happy with him.

Gabby is overrated but still very young so we'll see. NRC looked terrible, worrying.

MON is all to aware of our weaknesses and Im sure he'll address them come January.

Funny how not so long ago people shivered at the thought of signing Kevin Doyle, now he's supposedly our knight in shining armour. :confused:

People said we needed cover for Bouma, so MON's buys Shorey and people say we need Bouma back.

2 weeks ago NRC was a one man mountain, now he's public enemy number 1 (again). Tell you what, if you drop him you might as well drop 7 or 8 other players.

And the icing on the cake is that Villa fans, having given the guy a torrid time since his arrival, say we would have won the game with Petrov on the park! Amazing.

How about we just accept that in a 60 game season, you win some and you lose some.

• Advertisement

see the thing is that i dont think there arent buckets of forwards whod do a better job than gabby
    Man, you perplex me.

Man, you perplex me.

why exactly? coz i think there are loads of players who could do a better job than gabby?

People said we needed cover for Bouma, so MON's buys Shorey and people say we need Bouma back.

coz shorey has been exceptionally poor all season. he just hasnt stepped up to the plate at all. again hes got no competition for his place so he doesnt need to
    2 weeks ago NRC was a one man mountain, now he's public enemy number 1 (again). Tell you what, if you drop him you might as well drop 7 or 8 other players.

anyone looking for nrc dropped is a moron
    And the icing on the cake is that Villa fans, having given the guy a torrid time since his arrival, say we would have won the game with Petrov on the park! Amazing.

petrov was dirt from about the 7th game of his first season right through to the start of this season, and then bang, on fire. reason? he had a bit of competition for his place

We're doing exceptionally well to be still in 5th considering we're obviously so terrible:
    coz shorey has been exceptionally poor all season.
    Helix wrote:
    gabby is the second best we have
    Helix wrote:
    i didnt say gabby is rubbish, i said gabby is playing rubbish.
    Helix wrote:
    the chap is utter piss 95% of the time

But wait! After a mighty 5 games we still have this to be positive about:
    Helix wrote:
    cuellar is gonna be brilliant
    Well there you have it, wisdom beyond his years.

Funny how not so long ago people shivered at the thought of signing Kevin Doyle, now he's supposedly our knight in shining armour. :confused:

How about we just accept that in a 60 game season, you win some and you lose some.

I can see your point but I don't agree, I was one who championed the idea of signing Doyle, and I do believe MON should have secured his signature before the deadline.

Not sure that Shorey was ever welcomed as a great alternative to Bouma, I personally would like a better player then Bouma, someone like Bridge etc.

I wouldn't agree that NRC is public enemy no 1 at all, he just had a poor game last night, plus he's been played out of position too much.

We're obviously going to win and loose some but FFS Newcastle is a mess of a club with no structure at all, Villa win we're 3rd- its about time we won these big games where we're expected to win, it comes down to not accepting mediocrity any more, Villa are capable of really pushing hard for top 4 this year, 5/6/7 is mediocrity IMO after last 2 seasons. 5th place with a really good challenge is just about acceptable, we don't really have any excuses any more with Mr Lerner at the wheel

spiderdan wrote: »
    Villa are capable of really pushing hard for top 4 this year, 5/6/7 is mediocrity IMO after last 2 seasons. 5th place with a really good challenge is just about acceptable, we don't really have any excuses any more with Mr Lerner at the wheel
    And the league is decided in November is it?

cuellar is gonna be brilliant

proven calibre there, and hes slotted in relatively easily all things considered

the way you keep replying youre giving off the impression you think shorey hasnt been poor, and gabby has been playing well this season. both of which would be idiotic sentiments, so im sure of course you dont believe them and are argueing for the sake of it

And the league is decided in November is it?

thanks for clearing that up for us! cheers man!!!!!!!

loosing to ****e teams like Newcastle and they are ****e is a good way of deciding it for us in November.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,951 ✭✭✭✭Villain

Look who Arsenal and Liverpool have lost to. Sher I suppose we should be winning every game and winning the league, ffs come on MON !

In fairness Arsenal are the team being tipped by nearly everyone to be the first to fall out of the group, not surprised to see them loose the odd game and Liverpool will beat teams like Newcastle 90% of the time. We didn't deserve to beat Blackburn and were outplayed by Newcastle, already lost to Stoke, lucky to win a few others. ah sure that's grand isn't it!!

all is not as Rosie as some here make out!

• Advertisement

Look who Arsenal and Liverpool have lost to. Sher I suppose we should be winning every game and winning the league, ffs come on MON !
    In fairness we're only in joint 4th place with Arsenal, 1pt behind Man Utd and 6pts off Chelsea and Liverpool at the top. Quite obviously this season has been a total write off and the man should be sacked.

At last, some good good good, good vibrations
    Ashley Young has put pen to paper on a new four year deal, tying him to Villa Park until 2012. Martin O'Neill has rewarded the wing wizard for his outstanding performances since joining Villa from Watford in January 2007.
    Young is a versatile player - he originally played as a striker and has impressed on both flanks as well as in a free role just behind the front two.
    His pace and invention has made him a major threat to opposition defences and there is certainly an air of anticipation among Villa fans whenever he is in possession of the ball.
    He has also won two Barclays Player of the Month awards this year - in April and October.
    He joined an elite band of players, including Cristiano Ronaldo, Wayne Rooney and Steven Gerrard, who have won the award more than once.
    Can you feel the positive energy :p

That's made my day.

Fantastic news that Ash wants to stay.

Boads well for the future.

great news!

Hooray! Thats made my day, bar-rack whatnow?

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,879 Mod ✭✭✭✭Bounty Hunter

Great news that Young has signed his new contract.

I still like Barry and hope (and still wouldent be surprised) he is at Villa for the rest of his career, but he is not irreplaceable.

Villa have had a great start to the Premiership despite the Newcastle result which i predicted to several people i know... just seemed like it had to happen for some reason

I have always said i would be very happy to see Doyle sign for Villa to give Gabby/Carew some real competition upfront and MON an alternative to Harewood to bring on to change things in an attacking sense cos even if you love him as a bit of a cult figure Marlon is not good enough.

personally I think the whole Joey Barton thing vs Gabby is nonsense as he barely touched him and if it wasnt Barton (who is a cnut, but a decent player as he showed vs Villa) nobody would have even noticed. However if Joey did make racist comments to Gabby then he should get a severe penalty and i think even some NUFC fans will have had enough of the cnut, but dont actually expect it to go that far.

O'Halloran has just gone off on loan again after getting over his injury. Personally I dont think he will make it at Villa but I wish the lad the best and hope he proves me wrong.

Gutted, I'd love Ashley Young at United!

Great coup for the club to retain him. He's a huge part of what Villa do. How he doesn;t play for Engerland is beyond me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,372 ✭✭✭✭Mr Alan

Young will end up at one of the top sides within the next couple of years, no doubt about it, but him signing a new deal will just mean Villa will get decent money for him. Signing a contract means nothing in this day and age.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,879 Mod ✭✭✭✭Bounty Hunter

Mr Alan wrote: »
    Young will end up at one of the top sides within the next couple of years, no doubt about it, but him signing a new deal will just mean Villa will get decent money for him. Signing a contract means nothing in this day and age.

Hes already at a top side mate ;)

but i agree contract only mean you get a good transfer fee these days

• Advertisement

Mr Alan I have to disagree take Barry's case for example, he openly wanted to go to Liverpool and i'm sure if he had the chance to rip up his contract he would of, but he was under contract.

Ashley Young looked visably delighted at the press conference, it could be because he probably got a huge wage rise or it could be that he is loving playing for Aston Villa Football Club.
    I'm more worried about MON leaving then any of the players. And who is to say that in the next few years Villa wont be a real contender for the top four.

We have definately made progress over the last few years and here is to hoping it will continue.

On a side note some of the villa fans on Villatalk are absolute tools, one guy saying he would gladly take 6million for Gaz Baz. Jokers.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement