Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Aston Villa Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,661 ✭✭✭✭Helix

JPA wrote: »
    I don't know why he couldn't take off Milner or Sidwell or NRC.
    A player might be playing well but sometimes they have to sacrificed to change formation.

he definitely looks afraid to take off nrc, to the extent he'd rather play him as the most incompetent right back in the league. which of course is no sleight on nrc, its not his fault hes been put at right back for 25 minutes every game... im sure its ten times more frustrating for him than it is for us

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,452 ✭✭✭Time Magazine

Awful result.

For the first time in years we have a bit of a squad but we're not using it. And it'd be nice if we had Steve Finnan to throw in at RB instead of putting NRC in there all the time. Come back soon, Freddy Bouma. I look forward to a quality striker coming in January.

Also I watched an interesting parallel to the "Gabby is lazy but does it matter?" debate yesterday. Saha won the game for Everton with five minutes' work last night.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,323 ✭✭✭Savman

Totally sickening result. I'm going to go against the grain and say that we don't always need x y and z players, we just need to be better.

Well at least we've Arsenal and Man U coming up to look forward to, handy 6pts there.

Positives....I don't think there are any today :(:(:(

apart from his mistake for the goal shorey looked decent again

he also looked VERY pissed off about being taken off again

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,604 ✭✭✭Kev_ps3

Whats up with Carew lads, he is injured??

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,924 ✭✭✭shoutman

Shorey's mistake was absolutely shocking!

It's all well and good looking comfortable on the ball for 95% of the game but if lapses in concentration are going to cost us points then it doesn't matter about the other 95%.

Carew failed a pre match fitness test, don't know whats wrong with him though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,518 ✭✭✭matrim

shoutman wrote: »
    Shorey's mistake was absolutely shocking!

It's all well and good looking comfortable on the ball for 95% of the game but if lapses in concentration are going to cost us points then it doesn't matter about the other 95%.

Carew failed a pre match fitness test, don't know whats wrong with him though.

Sidwell's mistake was just as bad. We basically gifted them 2 goals during the match.

I didn't see the whole match so can't comment on the overall play but those are the kind of mistakes we can't afford to make.

Kev_ps3 wrote: »
    Whats up with Carew lads, he is injured??

slight hip injury

• Registered Users Posts: 650 ✭✭✭spiderdan

horrible result, lucky we don't Sunderland next week that'd complete the hat trick!!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,604 ✭✭✭Kev_ps3

Helix wrote: »
    slight hip injury

Thanks. Know how long he'll be out for?

should be back at the weekend, he failed a late fitness test so he cant have been far off

• Registered Users Posts: 1,299 ✭✭✭villains77

with arsenal and man u we be lucky to even come away with a draw on sat as for the man u match how much we lose by. we need to buy big in the new yr. before we start slipping down the table.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,219 ✭✭✭invincibleirish

I fancy Villa to come away with at least a point against Arsenal. But then expect MU to beat Villa.

Arsenal will let Villa play the exact way MON likes it ie quick breaks/counter attack, Villa will be the underdogs which is the role MON teams seem to flourish under.

Then MU will stuff us. Thank goodness QPR knocked Villa out of the league cup.

2pts from 2 games is not impossible, just requires huge effort.

linked with Michael Owen- I'd be very happy with him, although he is a bit of a crock- fully fit he's a great player. Id be much happier with him instead of Heskey, who just hates scoring goals!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 172 ✭✭avillan

I want SANTA for Christmas.:rolleyes:

No thanks to Owen.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,951 ✭✭✭✭Villain

A fit Owen and a fit Carew in the humour could be good, the biggest issue is Owen has had huge fitness issues and would be a big gamble.

'atta boy, Martin, 'atta boy.
    MON wrote:
    O'Neill sets sights on striker

"We haven't got the same competitive cover up front as we have in other areas," O'Neill told The Sun.
    "We have Marlon Harewood and young Nathan Delfouneso, who I think will become a really good player.
    "But, without naming names, it is fair to say we are looking to see if we can bring someone in to get a bit of extra strength in that department."
    http://www.skysports.com/story/0,19528,11661_4493570,00.html

there's no doubt Owen is a big gamble but there's gotta be a lot of hunger still in him, he has to get fit and get plenty of first team action if he wants to get back into the England setup again, no better man then MON to do that!! who else apart from the obv, Heskey, Doyle and Cruz, Zaki maybe?? Ashton out till March isn't an option anymore!

• Advertisement

Helix, Gabby + Humble Pie please.

Gabby did have a good game, chased down a good bit and caused Arsenal problems, plus that was a great finish.

I also thought Sidwell, Petrov and Laursen had very good games.

Savman wrote: »

:D

Tremoundously taken second goal by Gabby. Hugely impressive performance by Villa, we looked like a top 4 team.

Absolutely euphoric :D:D

Joygasm :pac:

why?he scored today and had a good game, but that hardly changes the turd hes been pedaling does it? how many times have i to say that its not the fact that hes capable of playing well that pisses me off, its the fact that hes the opposite more often than not

So what you have rathered Fonzy started today then?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,535 ✭✭✭Raekwon

At last Villa win in London! And what a win it was :D Bring on Untied!!!

Villain wrote: »
    So what you have rathered Fonzy started today then?

id rather we had more choice

you couldnt have started delfouneso in a 4-5-1

Raekwon wrote: »
    At last Villa win in London! And what a win it was :D Bring on Untied!!!

we won in london a few weeks ago v spurs

why?he scored today and had a good game, but that hardly changes the turd hes been pedaling does it? la la la la la la la la I'm right and the whole world's wrong
    *sigh*
    Way to go to make yourself look even more and more like an ass. Ah well, that's your prerogative I guess, not bothered anymore tbh.

I'm gonna savor this. Gabby for England :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,600 ✭✭✭roryc

Congrats on the win today lads, very impressive

id rather we had more choice

you couldnt have started delfouneso in a 4-5-1

I'd rather a striker that was brilliant in every game too but they are few and far between and unlikely to come to Villa at the moment.

Gabby has done well and today he sealed the match for us, if you could get out of that tunnel vision and get behind him you might see he is actually doing well and tbh even in a 4-4-2 I couldn't see Fonzy doing better

I think Helix might be wary of Gabby due to what i like to call Darius Vassell syndrome. The similarities between the two are striking.

Gabby has done well and today he sealed the match for us

no doubt about it

but if we wanna get into what he did and didnt do, he cost us the newcastle game. if his good games were even as frequent as his bad ones id be delighted. hes young and hes got potential, theres no reason he cant fulfill it, but lets not tongue his balls while hes not there yet

he deserves all credit when he plays well, same as any villa player, and he deserves to take the flak when hes not, same as any villa player

I'd rather a striker that was brilliant in every game too but they are few and far between and unlikely to come to Villa at the moment.
    I'm struggling to think of even one name who would be considered brilliant every game. I've watched Torres be anonymous for 80mins then pop up with a goal. People say that's the mark of a great striker, except when it's a villa player of course then he's just a lazy bastard. Small club mentality.

Time to start thinking like a big club.

I'm struggling to think of even one name who would be considered brilliant every game. I've watched Torres be anonymous for 80mins then pop up with a goal. People say that's the mark of a great striker, except when it's a villa player of course then he's just a lazy bastard. Small club mentality.

Time to start thinking like a big club.

please tell me you didnt just compare gabby agbonlahor with fernando torres

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,246 ✭✭✭Esse85

Petrov once again did the simple things well, the difference he makes compared to NRC when he has the ball is there for all to see.

Sidwell also looks to have settled, if we can keep him fit for the remainder of the season then he'll prove to be a terrific signing. I cant remember the last box to box player we had who's not afraid to go past the strikers.

Esse85 wrote: »
    Petrov once again did the simple things well, the difference he makes compared to NRC when he has the ball is there for all to see.

hes really been a joy to watch this season, first few games aside where he was killing attacks too much. the improvement has been incredible. i suspect sidwell coming in may have lit a fire under his arse
    Sidwell also looks to have settled, if we can keep him fit for the remainder of the season then he'll prove to be a terrific signing. I cant remember the last box to box player we had who's not afraid to go past the strikers.

complete agree, lots of potential there when hes fully settled. i think for next week we should put out a midfield of players not afraid to put themselves about, try and unsettle united and frustrate them from the start

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,570 ✭✭✭✭Frisbee

Congragulations today lads. Didn't get to see the game but heard you played us off the park.
    Will be an interesting race between us this year for fourth...

• Advertisement

+1, that's one thing we've been missing from our game, a midfielder who breaks into the box. Sidwell did that well today, and Barry was even doing it a couple of times today.

4 Villa players in the latest England Squad. Davies, Barry, A Young and Gabby. :D

Great result, couldn't believe my eyes when I watched the Premiership I had no idea of the score! from what I can see the 5man midfield worked a treat, we look so dangerous on the break with Gabby in the lone role, the 3 man of Sidwell, Petrov and Barry looks so solid and thank god Milner is getting his game regularly now. It'll be interesting to see if thats the end of Shorey as a frist team player! Davies looked to have a good game which is vital for Villa as he's such a good prospect. Do you leave Gabby in the role and a fully fit Carew on the bench??? With all the pace Id be inclined to do so, it makes us such a dangerous team to play against

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,315 ✭✭✭Tomthepost

Juist thinking we have lost to Middesborough, Newcastle and Stoke and had a home draw with Portsmouth.
    Where oh where we could be in the table:(

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,879 Mod ✭✭✭✭Bounty Hunter

So riding high and full of confidence and belief having defeated Arsenal but we NEVER seem to beat man utd these days, so how confident are you guys about this one? anyone believe?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,349 ✭✭✭Samurai

not confident at all, just hopeful

• Advertisement

As above, no point getting hopefull as we never get two scalps in a row, indeed after a scalp we never keep the momentum at all, lets just hope I am wrong.

I want to believe.

13 years, 4 managers, 2 chairmen and dozens of players since that other 3-1 win in the league.

Sometimes they hammer us, sometimes they scrape through but they seemingly always beat us.

Now is as good as time as any to play MU, but ever since the tragedy that was their comeback in that Cup tie i've stopped thinking we can beat them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,535 ✭✭✭Raekwon

Looks like Wayne Routledge is on his way to Cardiff on loan.

Link

Again MON has come out saying he is looking to strengthen in January.
    Villa Looking To Strengthen

Thu 20 Nov, 10:09 AM

Aston Villa manager Martin O'Neill has confirmed his intention to bolster his squad in the January transfer window.

The Midlanders have enjoyed an excellent start to the season and are currently fifth in the Premier League table following an impressive win at Arsenal.

O'Neill recruited heavily in the summer but plans to be in the market again at the turn of the year as he looks to continue Villa's progression.

He said in the Daily Mirror: "We will be trying to bring in players in the window.

"We are looking to improve the depth and quality of the squad."

Press reports on Thursday link O'Neill with a swoop for Standard Liege midfielder Steven Defour, although it is claimed they could face a battle with Arsenal for his signature.

More news from SportingLife.com

Definatley seems like a striker is top of the list, can anyone else see a creative attacking midfielder coming in? We are going to have a very competitive midfield....

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,879 Mod ✭✭✭✭Bounty Hunter

id love if i was surprised and we signed Dafour but i really cant see us signing another CM this season. unless maybe he can play RM/LM too and then could also provide backup for Milner/Young (routledge is off on loan to cardiff apparently for 2months)CF and backup RB are what we need in January... but who will it be ?

Berbatov only played 30mins for Bulgaria yesterday, anyone know if hes injured and maybe missing the Villa game? similarily Rooney didnt travel to Germany but is it more likely he will have a miraculous ;) recovery before KO?

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement